• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dragon’s Dogma: Dark Arisen PS4/XB1 |OT| They're master ports all, you can't go wrong

Zeta Oni

(Credit to GAF member Screaming Meat for the OT title)
(Credit to GAF member dragonzdogma for the updated "Time","World", "Story", "Pawns", & "Vocations" graphics)

TQ5TM8e.gif

Genre: Action-Role Playing Game
Platform: PS4, Xbox One
Release Date: October 3rd, 2017
Developer: Capcom
Director: Hideaki Itsuno (Rival Schools: United by Fate, Devil May Cry 3/4/4SE, Powerstone 2 and more) Twitter
Publisher: Capcom
Price: $29.99
Size: 19.2 GB
Store Links: PSN | Xbox
(Digitally preordering on PS4 includes DRAGON'S DOGMA: DARK ARISEN DYNAMIC THEME)

Differences from previous console release:
• Full 1080p resolution (Including PS4 Pro support), also the removal of the black bars featured in the original
• Improved textures, draw distance, and a stable framerate (30fps)
• Includes all previous DLC, as well as the addition of nine new achievements/trophies
• Also adds changes from the PC release, mainly in that arriving in Gran Soren will unlock the following: An Eternal Ferrystone, Set of Fop's Trek Wear, Voldoan Armor, Priest Vestments, Lady's Trek Wear, Queen's Clothing, and Nun Vestments.

r3CiQIo.png

A mighty Dragon rips the heart out of a villager during an attack on a coastal fishing village. Mysteriously, this poor soul survives the encounter and despite being left heartless, is alive. Upon awakening it is revealed you are the prophesized ”Arisen", hero to the people of the fantasy filled land of Gransys. Now, embark on your own adventure along with three loyal companions, exploring an unfamiliar world and fighting all manner of fabled beast and foe, all in a quest to return what's rightfully yours.

9z6IWUI.png

• The world of Gransys is filled with dangerous enemies, but also home to a lively cast of characters for you to interact with as the Arisen. You will quickly find yourselves dealing with the local merchants for elixirs, upgrading your armor and weapons with the local blacksmiths, or taking up missions bodyguarding people who wish to cross the dangerous open world. Different NPC's will respond to your behavior towards them, so it's important to nurture those connections when present, if desired.

• As you explore the world around you, you will find many treasures, weapons, armors, materials and all sorts of things to pick up and save. Even the most basic item could have a use as an ingredient, or can be combined to make something completely new, or could be used to upgrade a weapon, etc... Since this encourages a lot of scavenging, keeping an eye on your weight will become vital. Pick up too much, and you'll move like a block of concrete is strapped to both of your legs. Note that each member of your party has a fully accessible inventory as well for you to take advantage of, just be wary of giving important things to temporary guests. Deposit your acquired goods at your storage available at every inn often, as you will also find some of the heaviest materials falling from the corpses of your enemies, and there will be a lot of those.

• And on the subject of corpses, combat takes place in real time and at a brutally fast-pace, and finds you mixing up between a variety of basic attacks and powerful skills specific to each of the games vocations to dispatch a wide variety of enemies. Certain classes have access to powerful Magick skills capable of destroying battlefields or saving lives, and I could spend paragraphs on this subject alone, but what it boils down to is that DD is RPG combat done right, and magic users are no exception here. Players will also often find themselves against foes much larger, and to aid in this endeavor, DD provides players with the ability to mount (or simply pick up in the case of smaller) enemies at the press of a button, scale to any position, and attack, with several skills devoted to this mechanic for those wishing to make the most of it. That said not all enemies are humongous, yet will still be more than capable of killing your entire party. Overall, it's incredibly important to stay stocked up on various curatives (or have/be a mage) as enemies hit hard, hit often, and don't mind using deadly attacks to dispatch you quickly.

xk9IiTV.png

• Passing time in Dragon's Dogma has consequences. Some quests have limited windows in which they can be obtained/completed, some involve finding characters who move around throughout the open world (NPC's in Dragon's Dogma have their own schedules, they wake up, go to work, and often travel from location to location either for story/quest purposes or because that's what they do, like traveling merchants), some require you to be at specific places during specific times, and some items have altered properties as they change from age. To help with passing time inns, or in some cases campsites are conveniently located and cheap to use, passing 12 in-game hours, saving, and fully restoring your party every time you rest.

KzpWXN7.png

• Shortly after starting, you will gain the ability to summon ”Pawns", a group of mysterious and souless beings that can be pulled from an alternate dimension called the ”rift" (including from your friend's worlds!) to serve and assist with whatever obstacles that may face the Arisen. You will be able to fully customize a single pawn, known as your ”main pawn", to your liking, choosing their appearance, their gear, their classes, and most importantly: their behavior. An often-overlooked part of pawn creation, your pawns inclination determines their A.I.'s behavior in combat. When creating your pawn, you will be asked to answer questions based on how you would like them to respond in each situation, and these answers determine your pawns specific actions when fighting enemies. The available pool of actions the A.I. can pull from in a given situation is also determined by their experience with the specific enemy your fighting. The game admittedly does a very poor job of explaining what these questions and really this mechanic in general means, so I've linked a page here (http://dragonsdogma.wikia.com/wiki/Inclination) to explain it in much more detail for those interested.

XLdcMus.png

• Vocations are the class system in Dragons Dogma, providing nine unique playstyles separated into three categories: Basic, Advanced, and Hybrid. Basic vocations will be available upon creating your character, while Advanced and Hybrid vocations will become available after reaching Gran Soren, the games major city area. While playing as one of these classes, it's important to distinguish between the different leveling mechanics at play. You need to level your character to increase your core stats (Health, Stamina, Strength, Magick, Defense, & Magick Defense), meanwhile you level your Vocation to access new moves for that Vocation. Purchasing these moves cost discipline points, or DP for short, and that is gained by defeating enemies. That said, what vocation your using determines the rate your core stats grow when you do level your character. For example, leveling up while playing a Warrior results in more of an increase in HP, Stamina, and Defense, while playing as a Mage puts more weight towards your Magick and Magick Defense.

DD27x40KA10.jpg

Fighter

Equipped with a sword and shield, Fighters offer a good balance of offense and defense and serve on the party's front lines.

Primary Weapon: One handed Sword
Secondary Weapon: Shield
Defense: Fighters offer a variety of defensive abilities that allow them to serve as a veritable ”tank" for the party, allowing ranged and offensive classes to deal damage from further away.
Offense: Fighters possess a variety of deadly sword skills ranging from dashing attacks that allow fighters to quickly close the gap on an enemy to skills that allow them to skewer enemies safely behind their shields.
Combat Utility: Fighters can launch characters into the air to grab flying enemies with their Shield Toss skill, making them invaluable allies when fighting winged enemies.

z1eaLMX.gif
g33EPUp.gif
o0Ld6CT.gif

DD27x40KA11.jpg

Strider

Wielding dual daggers and a shortbow, Striders deal damage with quick speed and deadly accuracy. Striders also have trap abilities and trick arrows that allow them to confuse and disorient enemies.

Primary Weapon: Daggers
Secondary Weapon: Bow
Quick Damage: Striders serve as fast damage dealers, quickly moving around the battlefield with speed and agility and striking at enemies with their dual daggers.
Range: Thanks to their many bow skills, Striders are able to rain down arrows on enemies from long distances and can shoot down airborne enemies with ease.
Acrobatics: The Strider class is able to grapple and climb large enemies longer than any other class, allowing them to freely strike at an enemy's weakest areas

Cpvkko1.gif
va4iTIo.gif
0IvhfHT.gif

DD27x40KA12.jpg

Mage

Masters of elemental magicks, Mages rain down fire on their enemies while keeping their party alive with their restorative magickal abilities.

Primary Weapon: Staff
Offensive Magick: Mages possess deadly magickal abilities allowing them to control the elements. From walls of fire to deadly ice storms, mages are truly a force to be reckoned with on the battlefield.
Healing: In addition to their offensive abilities, mages possess healing magicks, allowing them to heal their party's wounds and cure debilitations.
Enchanting: Mages can use their mastery of elemental magicks to enchant their companions' weapons, allowing the party to exploit the elemental weaknesses of enemies.

h9I6hR9.gif
rOKm9ip.gif
A8E9mOq.gif

DD27x40KA14.jpg

Warrior

Favoring brute force over subtlety, Warriors charge into combat head on. Equipped with massive two-handed weapons, Warriors fearlessly take on all foes, crushing enemies with incredible power and soaking up damage on the front lines so their ranged party members can punish enemies from afar.

Primary Weapon: Two Handed Weapons
Frontline Offense: Warriors are a force to be reckoned with on the frontlines of any battle and can deal out massive damage to enemies.
Impressive Reach: With their huge two-handed weapons, Warriors are capable of dealing devastating damage to multiple enemies with a single strike.
Staunch Defense: No one takes stands up to enemy punishment like a Warrior. With their heavy armor, Warriors are able to stand up to all but the deadliest attacks without being knocked down.

Ww8UsiA.gif
6zFNPVJ.gif
KvmyRlZ.gif

DD27x40KA13.jpg

Ranger

No class is deadlier from afar than the Ranger. Equipped with a massive longbow, Rangers deliver punishing arrows from a distance, taking out enemies before they're able to come near. And thanks to their dual daggers, Rangers also make capable opponents up close.

Primary Weapon: Daggers
Secondary Weapon: Longbow
Longbow Expert Marksman: Rangers are the only class able to equip longbows, which allows them to do massive amounts of damage from safe distances.
Debilitating Arrows: Rangers possess a number of trick arrows that allow them to stun or pin down enemies from afar.
Capable Melee: Rangers also make for tough opponents up close as they also possess a number of dagger skills as well.

T8GmSLe.gif
tTXiuO3.gif
NaGDlF0.gif

DD27x40KA15.jpg

Sorcerer

Schooled in the arcane arts, Sorcerers deploy the deadliest of magicks in battle. From meteor showers, massive ice spikes, and deadly necromancy, Sorcerers are truly an awesome force to behold and should never be underestimated.

Primary Weapon: Archistaves
Devastating Magicks: No other class is capable of harnessing the near cosmic magickal forces that Sorcerers wield.
Powerful Enchantments: A Sorcerer's enchanting magicks can turn the tide of any battle, powering up companions weapons with deadly magickal effects.
Crippling Debilitations: Sorcerers poses a variety of debilitating magicks, ranging from petrifying enemies, summoning noxious miasmas, or blinding enemies, making Sorcerers invaluable companions.

3Vm45lL.gif
mXFkMUh.gif
qcAubAO.gif

DD27x40KA18.jpg

Assassin

A shadowy master of covert attacks, the assassin wields all manner of weapons to get the job done. From a near-surgical level of precision with bladed weapons, to a mastery of explosives and poisons, Assassins are truly an enemy to fear.

Primary Weapon: Sword/Daggers
Secondary Weapon: Shield/Bow
Weapon Masters: Assassins have access to a plethora of deadly weapons, making them a deadly jack of all trades.
Deadly Toolkit: Wielding paralyzing toxins, deadly poisons, and devastating explosives, Assassins use all the tricks of their trade to eliminate their enemies.
Silent Killer: Masters of stealth, Assassins utilize their shadowy abilities to move in to place and silently take their enemies out.

yKjrDF0.gif
V9PGSSV.gif
5KK7Xm0.gif

DD27x40KA16.jpg

Magick Archer

Equipped with magick bows, the Magick Archer is a class that weaves sorcery into every shot from their bow, ensuring that they always hit their mark. Magick Archers also blend sorcery into their daggers as well, making them a deadly class up close or from afar.

Primary Weapon: Daggers/Staff
Secondary Weapon: Magick Bow
Magick Arrows: Magick Archers have fused magick into their very bows, allowing them to fire magickal arrows without the need of a quiver.
Seeking Shots: The enchanted arrows Magick Archers fire are capable of tracking enemies and moving through the air, following their targets no matter where they run.
Mystical Daggers: Magick Archers are able to weave their sorcery into their daggers, allowing for spectacular magickal attacks that destroy their enemies.

MvY7Buz.gif
cCbG3eQ.gif
C050Fgs.gif

DD27x40KA17.jpg

Mystic Knight

Masters of sword and sorcery, the Mystic Knight deals devastating damage to foes on the battlefield with their enchanted weapons, while also defending against the most ferocious attacks with their magickal shields.

Primary Weapon: Sword/Mace
Secondary Weapon: Magick Shield
Battle Magick: Mystic Knights are able to cast powerful magicks while wearing heavy armor and wielding maces or swords.
Stalwart Defense: Mystic Knights carry large, magickal shields with them in combat, allowing them to defend against all but the most punishing attacks. The shields can also be imbued with magickal energy, providing a deadly surprise for any enemy that dare attack.
Deadly Enchantments: The Mystic Knight is the only magickal character capable of enchanting the entire party's weapons at once, making them invaluable support characters.

qdtTPkO.gif
oNtDknE.gif
jDM5MNV.gif

kqNiyVb.png

Aw, why not 60FPS?
No idea. That said, it's a rather substantial upgrade for those coming from the previous console release, which was quite bad.

What about Pro support?
Yes, but at this point in time what exactly that is still up in the air. Regardless, the screenshots below (courtesy of GAF member Nemisis0) were captured on PS4 Pro while in the games photo mode and show a resolution of 2560 x 1440.

Is there a PC version available?
Yes, available on both Steam and GOG.

What is ”Dark Arisen"?
The original game, simply titled Dragon's Dogma, received an expansion after release that reworked some of the more negative aspects of the original and added in a heap of additional content, mainly including the dark and difficult Bitterblack Isle. That version of the game received the subtitle ”Dark Arisen", was released as a separate product containing the original game, and is the version of the game both the PC port and this port are based off (with some minor adjustments).

Have they added in any of the content that was removed from the original release?
No, both the Berserk manga inspired armor sets as well as the original song used for the opening menu ”Into Free" are still unavailable, unfortunately.

Media

PS4 / XB1 Trailer
30 Second Spot
Comparison Video #1
Comparison Video #2
Comparison Video #3

(Click)

Neptonic

Wonderful OP! While it’s a shame they couldn’t get the ports to 60fps, everyone should really give this game a try. Action RPG combat perfection.

Bubble

Neo Member
Time to see what this game is all about. People on here (and other places too) can't stop praising the combat, so I need to see it with my own eyes.

Zeta Oni

Is there any broken stuff or best class in the game?

I wouldn't call it broken, but Magick Archer is the best vocation for almost every situation.

There will be times your physical attacks wont effect enemies, Magick Archer doesn't have that problem.

There will be times you have to fight an enemy at a range your vocation is bad at, Magick Archer doesn't have that problem.

There will be times you need a mage or a stockpile of curatives to keep yourself alive, Magick Archer still manages to be able to avoid even that problem.

Marcel

Mage will be more viable to play in this version of the game as your FPS won't drop to 5 when casting a huge spell.

Skyline Owl

Neo Member
Eh, after 600 hours and 5 play-through's on 360, I don't think I have it in me for another.

Anyone trying his out for the first time: Have fun. DD:DA was one of my favorite games last generation.

Baalzebup

Excellent OT and well chosen OT title :)

I salute all the newly Arisen about to embark on this journey for the first time.

Nephtes

I got next to nowhere in the original...
So much walking and backtracking and dying, but not in a fun Dark Souls way...but rather the kind where you lose hours of work instead of minutes...

Do I want to give this game another try... Or just wait for Monster Hunter next year?

wbacon

Capcom USA
FYI, the old “Inflection” bug that was inadvertently introduced in the PS3/X360 SKUs have been fixed in the PS4/XB1 HD versions. Steam version will also get patched later this week.

Feature and content wise, both PS4 and XB1 are same as the outgoing Steam version. That includes the new and expanded Trophy/Achievement set. After all, it was ported by the same talented team who worked on the Steam version. ;-)

Hag

I wouldn't call it broken, but Magick Archer is the best vocation for almost every situation.

There will be times your physical attacks wont effect enemies, Magick Archer doesn't have that problem.

There will be times you have to fight an enemy at a range your vocation is bad at, Magick Archer doesn't have that problem.

There will be times you need a mage or a stockpile of curatives to keep yourself alive, Magick Archer still manages to be able to avoid even that problem.

Thanks for the info =)

Cognitive Dissonance, Distilled
Jealous of people getting to experience this for the first time. Enjoy. Now you too will learn that wolves hunt in packs.

I'm trying to be good but not sure I can resist. I was going to try to finish The Witcher 3 first, but I might just have to take the plunge and order this. I just wish I could import my pawn from the PS3 version.

Jealous of people getting to experience this for the first time. Enjoy. Now you too will learn that wolves hunt in packs.

Actually according to science you can experience more pleasure when you return to favorite books/movies/games because your brain anticipates pleasure.

Just sayin

kubus

Beautiful OT and beautifuller title.

I'm getting my copy tomorrow. Never been so excited for a remaster of a game I've already played and had a remaster of before.

Gator86

Wonderful OP! While it’s a shame they couldn’t get the ports to 60fps, everyone should really give this game a try. Action RPG combat perfection.

The fact that they couldn't get it to 60fps, on the Pro at least, killed it for me until the end of the fall onslaught or it's a flash sale.

sublimit

Banned
Loving the thread title! My copy shipped today hopefully i will have the game by tomorrow!Can't wait to revisit Gransys!!

pbayne

Im really gonna give it a chance this time i swear.
Fair play to capcom, they usually price these type of re-releases pretty well, can get it for £15

Abdiel

This arrived for me on Saturday. Already got to level 20.

Anyone who wants to recruit my pawn:

Platform: Ps4
Class: Mage
Level: 20
Name: Solaria
Specialization: healing, buffs, damage

My psn name is Darcion.

She's great so far.

GeeTeeCee

I might actually pick this up. I never got very far with the PS3 version - I loved the combat, but for me the world never felt as expansive or "alive" as other open world games around the same time, and it eventually got lost in the backlog. I've been itching to give it another chance.

Top Bottom