• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Devil Daggers |OT| DOOMed to fight in hell's arena (90s-inspired eldritch shooter)

Nivert

So, what are the chances of this ever getting a campaign with dedicated map design?

I wouldn't expect a campaign but he posted this update in November:

UPDATE I
Thank you to all who helped us get Greenlit! We’ve been working very hard finishing and polishing the game (and fragging demons). We’ve taken some feedback from you guys and have added more enemies as well as bonus modes! These include Jump Maps and Combat Challenge arenas to unlock and master. More on that soon!

I don't know if those are still coming or were scrapped since it looks like they didn't launch with it.

D

Deleted member 22576

Unconfirmed Member
I think this might be one of the best "Okay, just one more time, need to last one more second" games since Super Hexagon
Yeah I played over and over and over last night. My girlfriend was pretty transfixed too. You get into a serious groove and just glide around. The game feels so nice and responsive and it supports high frame rates too!

abunai

This game is amazing. Just played for an hour or so. Hit 200k!
ow3uqtl.png

Stevey

Yeah I played over and over and over last night. My girlfriend was pretty transfixed too. You get into a serious groove and just glide around. The game feels so nice and responsive and it supports high frame rates too!

Yeah, it's super smooth at 144hz

Just realized two things:

Rapidly clicking for shotgun shots seems much better than holding down fire for a stream. The shotgun fire rate is actually pretty fast this way.

Firing seems to repel gems, as long as you aren't firing the gems are sucked towards you. Realizing this makes it easy to get the first upgrade before shit gets crazy.

I always seem to screw up when the first spider shows up. I try to focus on him, but then get ganked from behind.
The big flying spiders? Dev posted this in the Steam forums
Once you shoot them they want to hide, but if you keep your fire on them they'll stay stunned and won't hide until you stop. So it's best to try to get close and then kill them quickly and accurately. You have enough time in between shots before they hide, but if you miss one shot they'll be hidden before you can do the next one.

Some tips for pushing past the 60-70s mark:

• The gems will be sucked towards you when you don't shoot. You need them to increase your firepower.
  • While you obviously want to kill the skull spawners ASAP, killing the skulls should be your top priority. You WILL get swarmed otherwise.

• IMO the best opportunity to kill a group of skulls is the point when they hit the ground after they spawn. Nicely bunched up and quickly killed by a volley.
  • Kill the first spider ASAP. Killing the next one or two winged skulls should net you your firepower upgrade (I think it's 10 gems total for the upgrade), which makes things MUCH easier to manage.

Here's a video of my best run (189s) so far: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NBs6vms4UUw&feature=youtu.be

Thanks for the tips and vid!

Man

I love the low-res-texture look. Seems more and more projects are catching onto the 90's-retro style.

Gattsu25

Banned
Some tips for pushing past the 60-70s mark:

• The gems will be sucked towards you when you don't shoot. You need them to increase your firepower.
  • While you obviously want to kill the skull spawners ASAP, killing the skulls should be your top priority. You WILL get swarmed otherwise.

• IMO the best opportunity to kill a group of skulls is the point when they hit the ground after they spawn. Nicely bunched up and quickly killed by a volley.
  • Kill the first spider ASAP. Killing the next one or two winged skulls should net you your firepower upgrade (I think it's 10 gems total for the upgrade), which makes things MUCH easier to manage.

Here's a video of my best run (189s) so far: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NBs6vms4UUw&feature=youtu.be
Using all your advice I was finally able to break past the 70 second barrier. First piece of advice was key but the second is actually what transformed my playstyle the most.

Here's my 123 second run: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ckTr-EDAFRc

I had a few panic moments in there <3

Ionic

Okay, I pretty consistently get in the 100's now. Really surprised at how much easier the beginning parts feel now. Still I'm having trouble grappling with the death worm. And at 177 seconds I still haven't gotten the next power up. I wonder roughly when I should expect it.

Nivert

In the world records there's that giant thing that appears in the middle near the end...any ideas what that is? Haven't seen one where somebody kills it. Is it related to the Steam achievement maybe?

Someone did kill it but they removed his score because they changed something that invalidated it. Maybe they made that harder, who knows :p

What a great thing this game is, I can reliably hit the 90s after about an hour of play with a current best of 103 and change, anyone know the specific amount of gems to trigger the weapon upgrade, that thing was awesome for the like 10s i got to use it.

Not Spaceghost

Spaceghost
So I need some tips for aiming, some times I am hitting every shot otherwise I just point at a huge wad of enemies and miss literally every single one of them.

I can't really tell how to move and by how much to lead really, anyone have any good visual queues?

What a great thing this game is, I can reliably hit the 90s after about an hour of play with a current best of 103 and change, anyone know the specific amount of gems to trigger the weapon upgrade, that thing was awesome for the like 10s i got to use it.

10 seems to guarantee the first upgrade I've heard the following upgrade comes after 25 gems.

I hope a mod scene develops with this game. The movement is so smooth in the game, I'd love to see it fleshed out more on the content side.

Unicorn

So I need some tips for aiming, some times I am hitting every shot otherwise I just point at a huge wad of enemies and miss literally every single one of them.

I can't really tell how to move and by how much to lead really, anyone have any good visual queues?

10 seems to guarantee the first upgrade I've heard the following upgrade comes after 25 gems.
Honestly watching the top replays taught me a lot about handling situations and improving. I still miss a lot or get sideswiped or jumped from behind, but I'm slowly improving.

I still keep getting completely fucked when the first spiderlad comes out. I focus on him but I rarely get him down before he shields himself which means I get screwed by the evil horned skull lieutenant because I didn't focus on him earlier.

Dinjoralo

So... now the dagger before you start the game is reddish for me? What the heck, is this from getting to the first upgrade?

Also, I'd really like to see how this game looks without the pixellation filter. the polygon jitter probably look kinda ugly without it, though.

low-G

There was a previous thread where I was real skeptical, but I didn't know this was going for Geometry Wars gameplay, not Quake gameplay, and with a price to match.

This game is great, and yes, the price does matter.

Not Spaceghost

Spaceghost
The more I play the more I realize what really decides the first two minutes your run are how smoothly things go up to the point where the first spider spawns.

Top Bottom