• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Demon Souls Digital Deluxe Edition

demigod

I’m ok with this as long as I can unlock them in the game. Getting the physical edition anyways so it doesn’t affect me.

MoreJRPG

Suffers from extreme PDS
The whole purpose of games like these is building your character up from nothing and persevering through the difficulty. Maybe that's why the trailer looked so easy, they were wearing the deluxe items.

Airola

So, years and years of people crying for an easy mode for Souls games has made "pay to win" creep in to even that franchise. Great job everyone.

Anyone who ever said or hinted that not having an easy mode is anti-consumer or disrespectful towards players, I hope you are happy now.

[hyperbolic rant]
I'm anticipating threads about "all games should offer purchases that make the game easier" appearing in future.
And people would claim "you don't have to buy them, it doesn't have an effect on you, so shut up" while the whole industry becomes more and more insufferable.
[/hyperbolic rant]

FrankWza

Ive never played a souls game..how hard is it? compared to something like Ninja Gaiden 1-3 and DMC 4 or 5...?

well, they can be difficult but if you’re willing to grind you can make your character pretty powerful and that takes some of the necessary skill involved that level 80 players have if your at level 120 or something. With NG and DMC if you’re playing at higher difficulty they take more skill to complete and even more to master and complete. The closest FROM game to NG and DMC is Sekiro. Its structured similar to a soulsborne but combat is a bit more like an action game and you can’t just grind and get more powerful and expect to complete unless you learn the gameplay. It also has an endboss that made more people quit more than any other game I’ve read comments about.

Danjin44

The nicest person on this forum
Ive never played a souls game..how hard is it? compared to something like Ninja Gaiden 1-3 and DMC 4 or 5...?
They are hard sense of that they punish your mistakes, it less about having high skill to pull off combo like you do in DMC and more about patience and careful play. I mean in Souls games you can't just rush to enemy or boss and button mash and expect to win.

Northeastmonk

Gold Member
You have a stamina bar. You manage that because you’ll either attack too much and you can’t dodge or you run out of your stamina and an enemy clips you to death. Imagine going up against a boss like in DMC and it’s like medieval combat with magic/potions for health. You will approach bosses and think “how the hell am I suppose to defeat this? It’s taking up the entire screen.” The first time I got to the knight in Demon’s Souls, it blew my mind. This was 2009 and I had not seen anything like that executed with the medieval fantasy world before.

I’d say if you can handle both action games then the only thing you really need is the desire to push through and patience. It’s a good kind of patience because you’ll be rewarded with progression.

I preordered a physical copy from Amazon. I’d love to just get this, but I bought most of the Dark Souls OST’s from Amazon digitally. That only got me the boss fights and the main themes. I would also like to listen to it in my car. I enjoyed having Bloodborne and Death Stranding mini-OST’s, but I also want something I can listen to elsewhere.

Last edited:

TacosNSalsa

It is difficult in a different way compared to those games . I would say DMC and NG are more about precision and dexterity , while the Souls games are more about observation and preparation . For example a bridge in Dark Souls has a charred floor with charred bodes all over it . What do you think will happen when you step out far enough on to the bridge? The games try to give you cues like that through out the series but it can be a bit too well disguised at times and you walk into something you shouldn't have ..

EDMIX

Its been mostly an ubi and ea thing with Gold and deluxe editions. Not many other publishers do this as much, at least off the top that i can think of right now.

Thing is the whole forum can completely ignore this but its not even a fraction of all the gamers out there.

Thats just you. Namco, Capcom, Square and many more do the same. This just isn't a brand new idea and I always thinks its funny when people jump to quickly say EA or Ubisoft ignoring they are just not alone in this practice.

Imho...if you want people to pay attention and make sure this is seen as a big deal, at the very least take the time to really see HOW MUCH of the industry is doing it, shit I'd argue that HELPS your argument, instead of this whole "mostly an ubi and ea thing". Even If I agree with you that they do it the most, they make the most games, its moot, by default it would be them, but its not exclusively them and I'd argue it makes the issue sound trivial, like oh mostly theses 2 publishers do it etc.

So not only is this not brand new, its not really only done by 2 publishers or something. We had stuff like this last gen too btw

Yumi

A different type of hard. They are a good blend of action and RPG with dark souls 3, Bloodborne, and especially Sekiro (which is 95% action game) leaning more towards action games.

What made the games especially difficult in the early days was the then obtuse and unforgiving games mechanics, one being losing all your currency (used for upgrading stats and buying items and gear) upon dying without successfully recovering your corpse from your previous death. This coupled with starting back at designated spots upon death with all enemies respawned.

Taking your time, managing encounters, and learning enemy movesets and when to strike them makes up the action part of most souls games.

If you like ninja garden it would be unlikely that you wouldn't enjoy Sekiro.

Avion4017

Neo Member
I just want to know why they haven't shown so much as a screenshot of the Valley of Defilement, it's driving me nuts.

I don't mind these Gold/Deluxe/Day one/Etc Editions.
If people want to buy them then that's fine.

I do question why though.
Why it's 20 bucks for some pretty poor digital items.

Instead of questioning why just accept that stuff like this isn't for you and ignore it.

xion4360

thank's for the replies guys! so Im getting that its more of a patience and careful thinking type of hard as opposed to how fast can you do combos and doge things...I could definitely get into that, I think how ugly (IMO) the games had been, or poor peformance is what has made it easy for me to ignore the series...but yea Ill pre-order this...and not blame anyone if I get mad at it... thanks again!

Dargor

Not hard at all, these game are about punishing mistakes, not making things hard.

Most bosses have easy to follow move-sets that can be dodged, blocked and/or parried. Do the right move = win, do the wrong move = lose.

Its basically a dance and patience game. Know the patterns and you win, be patient when exploring and you win.

Ninja Gaiden has a very fast pace, so it can be hard, even if the basic combat follows the same idea with patterns as well.

Danjin44

The nicest person on this forum
I think how ugly
ugly!?
I mean they are no technical marvel but they far from being ugly.
bloodborne-screens-5.jpg

EaRbt74X0AE6Zh0.jpg:large

44197843_10103947527295842_8669283752016347136_o.jpg

_mfiklPNHnTQipj2UZ4iP2gjIAlnvbOrv1Rkr2INlxo.jpg

Sekiro-screenshots_30.jpg

Tevious

Discouraging that the Deluxe version doesn't come with a season pass. I was hoping we might get a sixth archstone DLC. Or maybe if we're lucky, they've been quiet about it and it could be repaired in this remake?

xion4360

ugly!?
I mean they are no technical marvel but they far from being ugly.

Sekiro is quite gorgeous..but deamon's souls and dark souls are not my cup of tea visually..really dislike dark dingy gray visual styles, and the performance was bad...I did say IMO btw...

Omnipunctual Godot

Gold Member
Well, I know why I decided to cancel my PS5 preorder and join the party a few months later. I´ll grab that game off of ebay for ~20-30 bucks.
There`s no way that I´ll support this lunacy with my wallet.
It's probably going to be a while. People forget how long games tend to hold their value on newly launched consoles, especially exclusives.

In the PS6 remaster, I suspect Stockpile Thomas will just straight up ask you for your card details. "You want me to store your shit? You PAY me, motherfucker. Yeah, yeah, heart of gold. Go fuck yourself."

DavidGzz

You paid money to play the game. Embrace the Royal.

Digital Deluxe isn't p2win either.

I had no idea about the royal until I had already gotten gud. I banged my head against a wall turtling up like a bitch for my first playthrough in 2009. I thought it was insane that I could attack and block at the same time with a spear. Now of course, I go shieldless in all Souls games. Anyway, those items give you a slight advantage from the onset, so it is an example of pay 2 win. I hate to say it cause it's my most anticipated next gen game, but it's no different than paying for an XP boost in a shooter.

Dr.Morris79

Gold Member
Sony: Lets take one of our most beloved games and take a massive shit on it

Bluepoint games: Sounds good, we got this boss

Spukc

always chasing the next thrill
What with all the Drama? This is not the first game with a Deluxe Edition.
Difference is that the fucking base game is 80 euros in europe. And they still manage to market that as the gimped starter version. This game went from preorder to fuck off

Starting with shit gear is an important part of demon's souls, if you buy this you are cheating yourself out of one of the key experiences.

You should respect this and play it this way like the devs wanted you to play.

Last edited:

Dr.Morris79

Gold Member
Difference is that the fucking base game is 80 euros in europe. And they still manage to market that as the gimped starter version. This game went from preorder to fuck off

You should respect this and play it this way like the devs wanted you to play.
Truth. Hear hear.

Sw0pDiller

If I'm hype for a game, I'm getting dat physical copy special edition steelbook etc
Juup, never even bought a digiltal deluxe version of a game... that extra value just does not stick on me. Though digital discounts on the PSN store are pretty crazy sometimes.

SIDENOTE fun to see the xbots rushing in this topic to express their "worries" about the "remaster an /or PS3 with better gfx" game and cancel their pre order... pretty sad tbh

royox

It's the kind of game that punishes being not carefull. That punishes "wanting to hit the boss one more time" when it's not 100% safe.
it doesn't have a minimap, or a "Quest Log". It doesn't hold your hand with markers in a map or "Next objective". It just gives you some basic knowledge at the tutorial (how to move, how to equip gear, use items, attack, defend with your shield, and throws you into the game so you learn the rest by yourself (a.k.a Read the items descriptions).

Basically it's a game like games were before. You die, you start at the last checkpoint. No quicksaves. No Easy Mode. You want to end the game? You better get good.

Summary:

FZmZQxJ.png

Top Bottom