• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Demon Souls Digital Deluxe Edition

Saruhashi

Banned
Instead of questioning why just accept that stuff like this isn't for you and ignore it.

Because I think it's interesting that companies are getting to the point where selling exp in RPGs in a thing?

Because I think it's worth talking about that they charge 70 bucks for a game but then have a few things that seem borrowed from free to play games.

I already accepted that it isn't for me. Still think there's plenty to talk about though.

Gandih42

I don't quite get the fuss about this Deluxe version. To me Deluxe versions are more often than not a waste of money - the only thing of value here is the soundtrack. Who gives a crap about those in-game items that most people don't even want. The only thing I'd find unreasonable is if the equipment listed is not available without the deluxe edition. That'd be some BS.

But what is much more interesting is the shards! I suppose it may have been confirmed already but I wasn't sure if they'd keep the fucked up upgrade system from the original Demon's Souls. With Hardstone and Moonlight shards it very much sounds like they are :messenger_grinning:

Super excited to play this when I eventually get a PS5. Screw the Deluxe edition, if I want the soundtrack I'll get it in some other way.

Saruhashi

Banned
Why bonus item only on digital?

What a shame

Whats the reasoning behind this ?

Money, obviously.

A nice extra 20 bucks per deluxe edition sold.
No idea how many these editions sell compared to standard.

Fine for people who actually want to buy it but 20 bucks for in game items is a bit crappy.
OK for free to play games, in my opinion.
No so much when the base game is already 70 bucks.

I wish it had been something like an extra boss or area or something.
Like maybe an hour or two long prologue area that has some new backstory and a new boss.
At least it would be adding something to the game.

Selling things like exp is so weird because it is actually taking hours of gameplay out of the game.
(since you can skip a good few level ups right from the start)
Could be interesting for speed runs, I suppose.

Gandih42

I don't mind these Gold/Deluxe/Day one/Etc Editions.
If people want to buy them then that's fine.

I do question why though.
Why it's 20 bucks for some pretty poor digital items.

I'd be all in for a special edition that includes an artbook or some "making of" content.
A nice steelbook maybe. Soundtrack on vinyl or CD with a cool cover and booklet etc.
Not a huge fan of statues and figurines but even those are at least something.

The thought process behind it is kind of interesting too.

I'm just not getting why anyone would want to bring out an RPG where leveling up and equipping gear etc is a thing and then say "if you pay extra we cna make things go more quickly for you". Again using Ubisoft's "time savers" as an example but also it seems the same to ask players to pay for souls.

If the game gives you like 15k souls then it's for sure going to save the player some time.
Why not just design a game that "fits" with the hectic schedule of 2020s modern gamers who don't have time for these kinds of games?

I guess I'm seeing it as like they are asking you to spend money to take something away from the game itself?
So why play an hour or two leveling up? Give us 20 bucks and we can get that done quickly and you can go do something else for a few hours.
Read a book. Go outside.

Makes gaming seem like a chore.
Kind of makes it look like a lot in the industry agree.

Maybe they will someday market games like that.
For just 40 bucks extra you can cut the gameplay time in half.
Giving you time to work on your backlog.

I don't get this kind of deluxe edition either. Nor the mindset of people who buy it (provided the EQUIPMENT items are available in-game without this). Artbooks, Steelbooks and Soundtracks are valuable additions for a special edition, although it seems a bit limited what you can do with a DIGITAL deluxe edition. Digital artbook I suppose?

As for the reasoning, my bet would be producers (or whatever kind of people make these decisions) who want their cake and eat it too. Digital sales are huge now, why miss out on the extra cash moneys from just physical special editions? Problem is they aren't creative/commited enough to come up with really valuable additions to justify a digital special edition. I imagine it's the same kind of reasoning behind 'time-saver' microtransactions/deluxe edition bonuses. There will be people who'd pay to get ahead, so why not give them an option to pay for it? Back in the day you could use cheats to get ahead ... Now it's been monetized.

The worst offender with time-savers is certainly when the gameplay has been designed to encourage it. In this case, or for instance purchasing red orbs in DMC, I feel confident that gameplay was not altered to push MTX. It's more about putting the option out there to make a little extra money. In a lot of Ubisoft games however, it does seem an awful lot like gameplay was affected to some degree by the implementation of time-savers/XP-boosters. It really is an off-putting trend and definitely a bad look. Although from my own personal experience, I did not feel the need for any kind of boosters playing through AC Odyssey and was able to progress at a rate I enjoyed.

I do selfishly somewhat hope some newcomers get these bonuses and level up so they can brute force the start of the game, learning nothing, only to get their asses whopped when the difficulty increases. I think that'd be funny. But seriously, all this Deluxe Edition discussion aside I think the remake looks pretty great and I hope it brings many newcomers into the world of Souls games.

Yumi

thank's for the replies guys! so Im getting that its more of a patience and careful thinking type of hard as opposed to how fast can you do combos and doge things...I could definitely get into that, I think how ugly (IMO) the games had been, or poor peformance is what has made it easy for me to ignore the series...but yea Ill pre-order this...and not blame anyone if I get mad at it... thanks again!

I just hope it feels like a From Soft game. But we won't know that until we get hand on impressions. I'm cheering for Blue Point though. Hell of an undertaking.

DJT123

Looks like a terrific game. Would be cool, (& very probable) if PS5 gets an upgraded Bloodborne with unlocked FPS to go with it later on.

Last edited:

GymWolf

How is it not a remaster? It's the exact same game right? They didn't overhaul the gameplay like FF7:R
tenor.gif

betrayal

Banned
The problem with Deluxe Editions is that the content they offer is often simply cut out of the main game. This alone is enough to make me never buy most Deluxe Editions, because they are scam and I would feel stupid and cheated afterwards.

Deluxe Editions have a phenomenal return on investment rate. You put in almost zero effort and get a profit that is 1000 to 100000% higher than the effort you put in. And no, these figures are certainly not exaggerated and very conservative. A few textures, which mostly existed before the Deluxe Edition, are de facto no effort.

Last edited:

royox

How is it not a remaster? It's the exact same game right? They didn't overhaul the gameplay like FF7:R

Remaster = Get one old game and polish it so it looks and runs better (aka upgrade some effects, fps, resolution)

Remake = build the same game from 0.

With Demons Souls they are building the same game from scratch so it's a remake.

FrankWza

Juup, never even bought a digiltal deluxe version of a game... that extra value just does not stick on me. Though digital discounts on the PSN store are pretty crazy sometimes.

SIDENOTE fun to see the xbots rushing in this topic to express their "worries" about the "remaster an /or PS3 with better gfx" game and cancel their pre order... pretty sad tbh

they’ve been pryzbylewski'd. I already know who’s jumping the 5

Zimmy68

What sucks is that these bonuses are just the thing to help make swallowing the $69 price a little easier.
In other words, make this edition the only digital edition.
I was interested in this game but now I will have no problem waiting for the inevitable $50 DDE sale in a month or two.

Airola

I don't understand how this impacts your enjoyment of the game?

I think you just hit the nail on the head.

An easy mode would have an effect to the presentation of the game which is really important and (more about that you can read in the other Souls thread).

This bullshit on the other hand affects the whole industry. Granted, at least this doesn't technically directly change the presentation, in that the game would still have the intended presentation of "when you fail, you have no option to change the difficulty" (which seriously is a big thing, believe it or not), but this changes it to "if you pay more money, you can have an easier experience" which is a plague in the industry already and has now crept in to a game where fits and belongs to the least. What stops them now making an in-game dlc store with options to pay for better weapons or other help? That's some bullshit that should stay in free mobile games.

FrankWza

An easy mode would have an effect to the presentation of the game which is really important and (more about that you can read in the other Souls thread).

This bullshit on the other hand affects the whole industry. Granted, at least this doesn't technically directly change the presentation, in that the game would still have the intended presentation of "when you fail, you have no option to change the difficulty" (which seriously is a big thing, believe it or not), but this changes it to "if you pay more money, you can have an easier experience" which is a plague in the industry already and has now crept in to a game where fits and belongs to the least. What stops them now making an in-game dlc store with options to pay for better weapons or other help? That's some bullshit that should stay in free mobile games.

but you quoted him asking how it impacts your enjoyment of the game. When you play this game you’re going to be so worried about the industry that you can’t enjoy playing it? I mean, it’s not a warpzone that allows you to bypass boss fights. Shit, I guarantee it will do more harm than good to people who think they’ll get the weapons and have an easier time and then die over and over again anyway. Maybe it will make people who don’t have time to play these games give it a go. I read that all the time in FROM threads.
More sales can’t be a bad thing. I know they’re popular games here and on certain forums but they’re not exactly system sellers. Another great thing about this game being a launch title is the attach rate of this game is going to be very high because it is arguably the best launch game to come out in 3 generations. If it ends up selling anywhere near .5 copies to 1 system that will be great for allfans of this game. Exclusive or multi plat. Most of FROMs games never sold more than a coupleof million copies

mckmas8808

Mckmaster uses MasterCard to buy Slave drives
It's the kind of game that punishes being not carefull. That punishes "wanting to hit the boss one more time" when it's not 100% safe.
it doesn't have a minimap, or a "Quest Log". It doesn't hold your hand with markers in a map or "Next objective". It just gives you some basic knowledge at the tutorial (how to move, how to equip gear, use items, attack, defend with your shield, and throws you into the game so you learn the rest by yourself (a.k.a Read the items descriptions).

Basically it's a game like games were before. You die, you start at the last checkpoint. No quicksaves. No Easy Mode. You want to end the game? You better get good.

Summary:

FZmZQxJ.png

This is the greatest explanation on "WHY" the Souls games are so hard. I've never played any of them, but will finally jump in now after you guys carefully explained "WHY" they are hard. I always thought it was Ninja Giden type hard. But this type of hard I think I can play.

#Phonepunk#

Banned
As long as you can get these through playing the game regularly I see nothing wrong with offering choice. U don’t have to buy it. I’m going to ignore these and play the game as normal. It’s going to be great.

The game doesn’t suddenly become easier when u level up. Its not like this is a “win” button under any imagination. Tower of Latria doesn’t magically become easy and lose all its traps and pitfalls when u level up. It’s not like the rolling skeletons and flying mantas in shrine of storms suddenly stop trying to kill you. There is far more to this game than mere combat. But hey u do u.

Last edited:

pullcounter

does this mean you start the game off with all of this? Or does it mean that at some point during the game you can get this?
Start the game with those items. They will be accessible to all players being collectable in the main game world

That's how BAMCO did it with DS2 anyway

Last edited:

Airola

but you quoted him asking how it impacts your enjoyment of the game. When you play this game you’re going to be so worried about the industry that you can’t enjoy playing it? I mean, it’s not a warpzone that allows you to bypass boss fights. Shit, I guarantee it will do more harm than good to people who think they’ll get the weapons and have an easier time and then die over and over again anyway. Maybe it will make people who don’t have time to play these games give it a go. I read that all the time in FROM threads.
More sales can’t be a bad thing. I know they’re popular games here and on certain forums but they’re not exactly system sellers. Another great thing about this game being a launch title is the attach rate of this game is going to be very high because it is arguably the best launch game to come out in 3 generations. If it ends up selling anywhere near .5 copies to 1 system that will be great for allfans of this game. Exclusive or multi plat. Most of FROMs games never sold more than a coupleof million copies

To my personal enjoyment of this game it's not going to have an impact because I'm not ever going to play this game nevertheless. Nothing to do with this deluxe edition though.

My original post, of which he quoted one sentence only, was about my implications of how people might end up wanting games to have in-game stores where you can buy items that make the game easier. And that people would end up defending that kind of bullshit by the "it doesn't impact your experience" argument (the same that people often incorrectly use when talking about "easy mode" threads too), all the while the industry changes into something terrible. The "pay to win" model is a plague to the video game industry. I get that old arcade games were a bit like that, as you could pay to get one more continue in exchange for your coins, but these games are not arcade games and were never designed around that concept. I get the concept for free mobile games, not for big console/computer action-adventure games.

Surely for the developers and companies it's always financially better to get as much money as possible, but sometimes the ways to get that money is complete bullshit.

FrankWza

To my personal enjoyment of this game it's not going to have an impact because I'm not ever going to play this game nevertheless. Nothing to do with this deluxe edition though.

My original post, of which he quoted one sentence only, was about my implications of how people might end up wanting games to have in-game stores where you can buy items that make the game easier. And that people would end up defending that kind of bullshit by the "it doesn't impact your experience" argument (the same that people often incorrectly use when talking about "easy mode" threads too), all the while the industry changes into something terrible. The "pay to win" model is a plague to the video game industry. I get that old arcade games were a bit like that, as you could pay to get one more continue in exchange for your coins, but these games are not arcade games and were never designed around that concept. I get the concept for free mobile games, not for big console/computer action-adventure games.

Surely for the developers and companies it's always financially better to get as much money as possible, but sometimes the ways to get that money is complete bullshit.

I get it. You’re against easy mode. Still wondering if you decided to actually play this game, hypothetically, would you be unable to enjoy it because you would be overwhelmed with the negative impact that easy mode or pay to win is having on the industry? And did you make your decision to not purchase because of this deluxe edition announcement or were you never planning on buying the game?

kingpotato

Ask me about my Stream Deck

"you don't have to buy them, it doesn't have an effect on you, so shut up"

Airola

I get it. You’re against easy mode. Still wondering if you decided to actually play this game, hypothetically, would you be unable to enjoy it because you would be overwhelmed with the negative impact that easy mode or pay to win is having on the industry? And did you make your decision to not purchase because of this deluxe edition announcement or were you never planning on buying the game?

I never planned to buy this game. I don't like the Souls games for the same reasons I don't like a lot of other modern 3D games either. Not a fan of those games, but I'm a fan of the idea and philosophy behind them. It's kinda like I love the idea of extreme simulations too but I might not like the games. I defend certain designs and ideas and I'm against designs that go against those designs and ideas.

If I would like modern 3D video games, I probably would be a fan of the Souls games too, seeing as how much I love La-Mulana and other games that don't hold hands and are tough but where the basic gameplay goes more along with my taste. But right now, no, I don't like the Souls games. If I should play a modern game, I would probably play one of these instead of others and that's because of the central idea and core philosophy. Easy mode would definitely make me a lot less interested, perhaps even completely lose my interest as the presentation and philosophy behind the game would be gone. And the "pay to win" type of option makes me be less interested in modern gaming in general. I'm pretty much currently a PC indie guy now. And even within those games I'm more into old games than new ones, even though La-Mulana 1 & 2 are my top 2 games of all time.

I'm not against easy modes in general though. Just when they make a good idea nonexistent.

Airola

All I can say to you is that you are supporting plague in game industry, hyperbolically speaking, if that's how you would defend this. My point was to show people would end up using a stupid quote like that to defend a terrible game industry practice like that, and if that's already happening in this thread I guess I wasn't wrong.

Last edited:

kingpotato

Ask me about my Stream Deck
I never planned to buy this game. I don't like the Souls games for the same reasons I don't like a lot of other modern 3D games either.
La-Mulana 1 & 2 are my top 2 games of all time.
I'm not against easy modes in general though.
tenor.gif

Jaxcellent

90 dollar, so i guess this will be over 100 euro, Sony, what the hell are you doing, I'll grab this when it hits the bargain bin early 2021.

Last edited:

Melon Husk

I remember the original PS3 release being half the price and bundled with physical artbook and soundtrack CD.
I might have been thinking of Dark Souls: Prepare to Die edition on PC.

Demon's Souls was the standard price and it still came with all that extra crap! What about the deluxe edition then? Demon's Souls Deluxe was $80. And it got you, even more crap! In Sony's own words,

So, whether you reserve (at participating retailers) the Standard edition of the game, which would net you the game, art book, and soundtrack CD, or whether you upgrade to the Deluxe edition, which gets you the game, a 150+ page strategy guide, a collectible slip case, the game’s complete musical score, and a premium art book, you’re going to be getting a heck of a deal.

But how will that stuff help me POWER UP my character???

I totally agree that this digital fluff is worthless. An extra $20 for a digital soundtrack essentially. A strategy guide would be more helpful for new players.

Last edited:

Troozi

It's interesting to see the price on the store for digital games, and the price on amazon for a physical one being exactly the same. Surely the physical price of games will start dropping not long after release when they realise they aren't selling enough.

There is absolutely no chance I will buy anything other than the standard/cheapest version of games, tbh £70 is way too much money for me. Unfortunately I will have to pay it on this one, because it's release day and I need something to play.

Ar¢tos

This deluxe edition is not an easy mode at all. If you can't progress in the game without these items, you won't go much further with them, levels don't mean much and the gear doesn't look that much helpful (shield - OK, ring that increases hp a bit - useless, weapon - seems like a slow wep, not great for beginners).
Assuming every new char gets these items, the deluxe edition is good for dedicated players to speed up the process of making new builds.

JCK75

Horse armour was oblivion on the 360.

I'm aware of that, I said don't buy it and they won't keep doing it.. horse armor came up (from Oblivion) I assumed like myself noone really paid for it because they didn't pull that crap again with Skyrim.

Inarius

Formerly 'GMUNYIFan'
I apologize if this was already asked/covered(I did search the thread), but do we know if the armor sets, shield, sword, and scythe will be available in game as drops? I'll get the standard game if they are, but I don't want to miss out on items in my favorite souls game.

Bartski

Gold Member
Bluepoint confirmed that none of the DLC content, whether it's the pre-order bonus or the Deluxe Edition content, will be available in-game for regular players to acquire. (...)
Fans had been hoping that the pre-order bonus and Deluxe Edition only granted early access to content, and that there'd be both the option to either pay to gain access to these items or that they could be earned via gameplay. That isn't the case, as Bluepoint notes they are all exclusive.

No source. Where have they confirmed it? Was it mentioned in one of the recent interviews?

Bartski

Gold Member
One caveat is that it isn't confirmed whether the extra content will be offered as a separate purchase post-launch.

Still can't find where devs actually said all that stuff

btw, haven't seen the hud posted anywhere on gaf yet:

ZgP3ODD.png

Top Bottom