• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Crowbcat soul vs soulles Resident Evil 4 Remake

Madflavor

Just got around to watching the video. Based on the posts in this thread I was expecting that he was cherry picking and/or overblowing the problem, but after watching it, I dunno...

The artistry that was on display for the original by and large got replaced with what can only be described as "$5.99 assets". Something you find on an asset marketplace when you search for stuff like "torch" or "gothic window". I particularly didn't like how they took away Leon's personality and replaced it with essentially nothing, with a few "girlboss" bullshit lines thrown in there almost just to prove, "look, we have modern day beliefs! This product is A.O.K. for you to buy and support!"

It's not enough to stop me from eventually buying the remake, but boy there is a lot of charm, detail, worldbuilding, and immersion changes for the worse.

I think people that disagree with this video probably have quite a bit of overlap with people that think that the Demon's Souls remake didn't fuck up the ambiance, atmosphere, and artistry in the name of high resolution textures and super clean IQ.

So you don't seem to think he was cherry picking, but you also haven't played the game yourself?

I think people that disagree with this video probably have quite a bit of overlap with people that think that the Demon's Souls remake didn't fuck up the ambiance, atmosphere, and artistry in the name of high resolution textures and super clean IQ.

Peopls's tastes in art and the visual medium differ from one another. That's it.

Pejo

So you don't seem to think he was cherry picking, but you also haven't played the game yourself?
I played the Gamecube original and the original PC port. I know the general flow of the game and the areas and what they felt like (to me) while playing. With over a half hour of comparison footage, it's tough to honestly say to yourself "oh that's just cherry picked". Maybe if the video was 10 mins or less, but it isn't. That's a lot of footage in various areas and stages of the game, and they all have things missing, ambiance drained, things that were there just mysteriously removed etc. It's not like he kept showing one clip over and over.

I think the best part to sum up the changes is when Mendez's eye falls out. In the original there was a whole cutscene for that, and a cutscene for picking it up that shows Leon's bewilderment. In the remake it just plops out and then when you pick it up you get a menu pop up with an item description. Does it hurt the story of the game? Nope. Does it ruin the scene or withold some kind of info you need to progress? Absolutely not. But it certainly doesn't make it better and you lose that little extra notch of characterization and atmosphere. Like GC's Leon isn't used to all of this stuff happening and waiting to kill him just to grab his eye and move on to the next puzzle/encounter. That's the kind of thing you can regard as 'soul', which is now missing, which is the point of the video.
Peopls's tastes in art and the visual medium differ from one another. That's it.
Hold on, let me write that down, I never thought that people could have different tastes...

Keanu Reeves Reaction GIF

Shitposting aside, I'm just saying that people that didn't see anything wrong with how Bluepoint ruined the aesthetics of Demon's Souls probably don't think the RE4make changes are all that bad either. I'm not saying it's right or wrong, it's just what it is.

MacReady13

Wow! I'm amazed by the love the original still has and people preferring it over the new one.

I have yet to play the RE4 remake, but from what I have seen it blows the OG outta the water on so many levels.

I played and loved the OG, but it cannot be a better game than the remake.

Nostalgia is a hell of a drug.
Why can it not be better than the remake? The OG is still the goat. Remake is great but NOTHING beats the original.

Soodanim

Gold Member
Honest question for all:

Do you think 4 Remake will have the same long term adoration that 4 earned?

I know it's hard to say, and the same isn't even content complete yet, but trying to account for novelty (if it hasn't worn off for you), I'm curious to know if people think it will find its way into GOAT talks 10 years from now.
Why can it not be better than the remake? The OG is still the goat. Remake is great but NOTHING beats the original.
It's a testament to 4R that it's a debate. I know 4 isn't everyone's favourite, but it's consistently up there overall.

It's always going to be an interesting comparison because bad games don't get remade (unless Capcom remake 6). It's not like we're due a AAA remake of some obscure PS1 game that couldn't possibly be worse.

GymWolf

The irony of gman calling another youtuber out for being disingenuous when he has done for years. He brought up issues with dishonored 2 that didn't even exist and you could tell by the confused comments when in reality he was just being harsh becaue Bethesda didn't give him a review copy.
Yeah, the dude says a lot of stupid shit in his videos.

What did he said about dish2?

Last edited:

small_law

Honest question for all:

I know it's hard to say, and the same isn't even content complete yet, but trying to account for novelty (if it hasn't worn off for you), I'm curious to know if people think it will find its way into GOAT talks 10 years from now.

It's a testament to 4R that it's a debate. I know 4 isn't everyone's favourite, but it's consistently up there overall.

It's always going to be an interesting comparison because bad games don't get remade (unless Capcom remake 6). It's not like we're due a AAA remake of some obscure PS1 game that couldn't possibly be worse.
Probably not, unfortunately, but again, I have yet to play the remake.

RE4 was lightning in a bottle. When it was released, the combat and atmosphere were so excellent that no one really criticized how zany the plot is. It's an action/horror B-movie a la Cannon Films. You fight knock-off versions of Leatherface, Rasputin, Napoleon, Dolph Lundgren, a lake monster, Tolkien-esque cave trolls, cultists, mercenaries, and a priest that turns into a mutant spider. And Leon is an awesome secret agent quipping the whole time. It was astonishing how much RE4 was a hard turn away from the first three games (and Code Veronica and RE0). I mean, I played RE0 right when it came out. It was very much an RE game. RE4 absolutely wasn't.

The biggest surprise was that Capcom pulled it off. There was a lot of fatigue for that franchise back in the early 2000's, much more so than after RE6. After RE0, Capcom seemed to be out of ideas. RE4 blew everyone away. No one expected it.

KXVXII9X

In GAF's old days when a GOTY contender dropped, everybody was celebrating. Nowadays not just here but everywhere, it's all about how the newest popular game sucks.

Tears of the Kingdom will suck. FFXVI will suck. Diablo IV will suck. Everything sucks. No fun allowed! Because we are edgy and really need Youtube views.
While I do agree with some points of the video, I agree with your statement full heartedly. I see things swing between two extremes quite often.

I blame algorithms and earning revenue based on clicks that exploit people's negativity. Instead of headlines that say "So excited for X game" it is "Is X game any good?" or "My BRUTAL HONEST opinion of X game."

I came back from the Mario Movie grinning ear to ear trying to ignore all the negativity. It was nice to let myself enjoy something.

KXVXII9X

What a dumbass. It's his own opinion, you don't have to agree with the guy. But now he simply changed the title and description to get more likes. Pathetic. For the kind of videos he makes, he seems pretty thin-skinned.
It is really shameful. I actually agreed a bit with the video (not the clickbait). Changing the title of the video after you got pushback really hurts your credibility. Not a good look.

Madflavor

I played the Gamecube original and the original PC port. I know the general flow of the game and the areas and what they felt like (to me) while playing. With over a half hour of comparison footage, it's tough to honestly say to yourself "oh that's just cherry picked". Maybe if the video was 10 mins or less, but it isn't. That's a lot of footage in various areas and stages of the game, and they all have things missing, ambiance drained, things that were there just mysteriously removed etc. It's not like he kept showing one clip over and over.

I think the best part to sum up the changes is when Mendez's eye falls out. In the original there was a whole cutscene for that, and a cutscene for picking it up that shows Leon's bewilderment. In the remake it just plops out and then when you pick it up you get a menu pop up with an item description. Does it hurt the story of the game? Nope. Does it ruin the scene or withold some kind of info you need to progress? Absolutely not. But it certainly doesn't make it better and you lose that little extra notch of characterization and atmosphere. Like GC's Leon isn't used to all of this stuff happening and waiting to kill him just to grab his eye and move on to the next puzzle/encounter. That's the kind of thing you can regard as 'soul', which is now missing, which is the point of the video.

Hold on, let me write that down, I never thought that people could have different tastes...

Keanu Reeves Reaction GIF

Shitposting aside, I'm just saying that people that didn't see anything wrong with how Bluepoint ruined the aesthetics of Demon's Souls probably don't think the RE4make changes are all that bad either. I'm not saying it's right or wrong, it's just what it is.

Ok so you haven't played the Remake then. You haven't experienced the game from beginning to end, and seen everything the game has to offer within the context of immersing yourself into the gameplay, story and environments.

With over a half hour of comparison footage, it's tough to honestly say to yourself "oh that's just cherry picked".

It's not tough for a lot of people who have actually played the Remake from beginning to end. That's why Crowbcat got a lot of blacklash with this video.

Last edited:

Shut0wen

Wasnt re4 remake originally made by those that made the half assed re3 remake and was also going to be half assed until it moved to capcoms division 1? If so capcom div 1 did a pretty good job and more likely everything crowbat showed would of been from re3 devs

Kronos9x

The facilities in the island are the most atmospheric part in any RE game since RE1 remake and the original trilogy. This guy is complaining because Capcom replaced most of the stupidity and anime/memes from the game. No longer a SNL parody but a more serious RE game that fits the previous games. And the reason is because RE7 was the reboot this time and it brought a new style.

Meaning that a bunch of 35 year old Nintendo fanboys are now going "mah nostalgia". The original RE4 does not feel like a RE game, that's the point. That was Mikami's vision. It's supposed to be a meme for the Nintendo players. You don't need parodies anymore since RE is successful.

Last edited:
Honest question for all:

Like others have said, probably not since re4 remake is just another 3d action game in the vein of last of us in a market that constantly churns them out and it is all about the current thing. People will be barely talking about it in a year's time, just like the other resident evil games that came out recently.
Re4 was unique in so many ways and it played like nothing else on the market. The only other game that plays like it, is re5 and that came out years later.

Last edited:
The only other game that plays like it, is re5 and that came out years later.
And RE5 is slammed all over the place despite being an excelent game.
So objective qualities have little to nothing to do with the staying power. Whether or not people will keep coming back to it is purely up to their whims.
RE4R has fantastic gameplay, it dares to stretch its mechanics so far out of the original's combat loop box, and manages to bring lots of exciting improvements with it. As a huge fan of the original RE4, it's insulting that some unelected youtube primadonna omits all of that entirely, and goes "but muh ambient sound volume, and muh static shots, and muh ballistics line". Well, you couldn't even shoot dynamite out of ganados' hand in the original, don't see you featuring that in your 40 minute deep dive comparison video, retard.
If we're making predictions, I think over time people will still gravitate more to the cakewalk power fantasy of the original over the ruthless thunderdome that is the remake. Dare I say it's the most challenging game in the entire series.
Getting S+ rating on professional difficulty in RE4R is not for the faint of heart. Meanwhile I can install the original RE4 right now and get a professional S+ on my first try.

Last edited:

stickkidsam

So objective qualities have little to nothing to do with the staying power. Whether or not people will keep coming back to it is purely up to their whims.
RE4R has fantastic gameplay, it dares to stretch its mechanics so far out of the original's combat loop box, and manages to bring lots of exciting improvements with it. As a huge fan of the original RE4, it's insulting that some unelected youtube primadonna omits all of that entirely, and goes "but muh ambient sound volume, and muh static shots, and muh ballistics line". Well, you couldn't even shoot dynamite out of ganados' hand in the original, don't see you featuring that in your 40 minute deep dive comparison video, retard.
If we're making predictions, I think over time people will still gravitate more to the cakewalk power fantasy of the original over the ruthless thunderdome that is the remake. Dare I say it's the most challenging game in the entire series.
Getting S+ rating on professional difficulty in RE4R is not for the faint of heart. Meanwhile I can install the original RE4 right now and get a professional S+ on my first try.
Wasn’t RE5 slammed because of its companion mechanic being shit and the terrible reworking of the inventory management systems? There was also something about racism because it had a tribe threw spears I guess?

After playing it I can understand the idea that the remake is soulless to an extent. If you look at the environments it does look quite familiar to other games they have put out using very similar assets. The atmosphere, while darker than the original and especially when related to it being a horror game makes more sense it does lack the goofy uniqueness of the original. It had a very similar feel to the original Devil May Cry which has been lost. However if you compare it to other games released these days it has far more character.

Wasn’t RE5 slammed because of its companion mechanic being shit and the terrible reworking of the inventory management systems?
What does this even supposed to mean?
Yeah, it's a coop game. Coop mechanics are incredibly well-done in this game.
Yeah, it's a coop game, meaning you can't pause the game to fiddle through your inventory case, so inventory was streamlined to operate in real time.
I fail to see the "shit" and "terrible" parts about thoughtful and well-excecuted mechanics.

Last edited:

StreetsofBeige

Gold Member
After playing it I can understand the idea that the remake is soulless to an extent. If you look at the environments it does look quite familiar to other games they have put out using very similar assets. The atmosphere, while darker than the original and especially when related to it being a horror game makes more sense it does lack the goofy uniqueness of the original. It had a very similar feel to the original Devil May Cry which has been lost. However if you compare it to other games released these days it has far more character.
How’s the sound? Crowbcats clips show some scenes with almost zero sound compared to the original. And he even said he had to turn it up. And it was still almost dead silent.

StreetsofBeige

Gold Member
Wasn’t RE5 slammed because of its companion mechanic being shit and the terrible reworking of the inventory management systems? There was also something about racism because it had a tribe threw spears I guess?
It got grilled by some people because the game has you killing tons of black zombies. Go figure the game is set in Africa.

As for me, I only played the demo and thought it was shit. Maybe the rest of the game is different and better but the demo was basically call of duty shoot outs and running around.

Last edited:
How’s the sound? Crowbcats clips show some scenes with almost zero sound compared to the original. And he even said he had to turn it up. And it was still almost dead silent.
The sound is good and more atmospheric/creepy than the original but like RE2 Remake its quieter and has simply less of it. I died a little on the inside when I heard that blind Wolverine guy start running at me on the remake.

Luigi Mario

Yeah, the dude says a lot of stupid shit in his videos.

What did he said about dish2?
He was whining about Dishonored 2 encouraging too much of an aggressive play style (non-stealth) in comparison to the first game. According to him stealth and non-lethal gameplay were much more rewarding in Dishonored 1. The video was so badly received that he delisted it and now you can only find his review of the first game and Death of the Outsider.

GymWolf

He was whining about Dishonored 2 encouraging too much of an aggressive play style (non-stealth) in comparison to the first game. According to him stealth and non-lethal gameplay were much more rewarding in Dishonored 1. The video was so badly received that he delisted it and now you can only find his review of the first game and Death of the Outsider.
That's some stupid shit.

I did 2 runs both stealth and had the time of my life (i was still killing almost every guard, but during stealth, not head on)

GymWolf

Btw, have you seen his retrospective on the Uncharted series he recently released?
I don't give enough fucks about unchy or this dude to watch anything from him, sometimes i watched some of his reviews because some gaffers love him but i stopped after the evil west one.

Ulysses 31

I thought that was more because the optics of a white man(Chris) killing a lot of black people(the infected population). 👀

Sleepwalker

The sound is good and more atmospheric/creepy than the original but like RE2 Remake its quieter and has simply less of it. I died a little on the inside when I heard that blind Wolverine guy start running at me on the remake.
The remake has some legitimate creepy places, the lab where you encounter the regenerators for the first time is also fucked up. The OG wasn't scary at all.

Honest question for all:

I think it will. It expands on the most iconic part of the original (the village) and streamlines the castle and island well enough to make repeat runs entertaining. For all the things it removes, it does add a few scenes that show some of the events described in the original pick-up notes. I just think Ada, Luis, and Sadler need some dialogue mods. Also, Salazar's bad hairday ought to be rectified with additional mods.

I am not a big fan of the scenes where control is taken away from the player, which are common in the remake, but its also present in the original.

Last edited:

Madflavor

People will be barely talking about it in a year's time, just like the other resident evil games that came out recently.

Do you think that might be because other shit like FFXVI, Zelda, Diablo 4, and Starfield are coming out? Doesn’t mean people won’t look back fondly on RE4R. People still talk about the previous Resident Evil games. Hell there was a thread on NeoGAF a month ago where tons of users on here talked about how great they thought RE3R was. Not that I agree, but guess what? These games have their fair share of fans.

There’s room for both RE4 and RE4R. RE4 has been ported so many times and so readily available. Nothing is replacing it. Both games have their fans, both games will be looked back fondly on.

Re4 remake has bullshit difficulty on professional. It is plagued by rng, unlike the original that has definite rules for what works and what doesnt.

Do you think that might be because other shit like FFXVI, Zelda, Diablo 4, and Starfield are coming out? Doesn’t mean people won’t look back fondly on RE4R. People still talk about the previous Resident Evil games. Hell there was a thread on NeoGAF a month ago where tons of users on here talked about how great they thought RE3R was. Not that I agree, but guess what? These games have their fair share of fans.

There’s room for both RE4 and RE4R. RE4 has been ported so many times and so readily available. Nothing is replacing it. Both games have their fans, both games will be looked back fondly on.

It is because when the honey moon period is over, people will start to realize that it is not really the perfect game they thought it was and of course other newer games will get all the attention.

Madflavor

It is because when the honey moon period is over, people will start to realize that it is not really the perfect game they thought it was and of course other newer games will get all the attention.

And let me guess, go through the same cycle? Game comes out, people love it, honeymoon period ends, people become more critical of it? That's practically every video game ever made chief. Even games like Elden Ring and Breath of the Wild went through it. It doesn't mean the narrative changes and the games are then looked back on as bad. I just told you even RE3R, which received a lot of criticism, has plenty of fans and still gets discussed. How about Code Veronica? A game that was heavily flawed and divisive on release, and Resident Evil fans are clamoring for a Remake. You're talking about Resident Evil, a series that has tons of fan and attention to begin with.

If you think RE4R is going to fade from gaming discussion, not get replayed and not get brought up in the future, you're setting yourself up for disappointment. One could say the honeymoon period is over now, and a lot of people told Crowbcat to go pound sand over his RE4R video.

Last edited:

stickkidsam

What does this even supposed to mean?
Yeah, it's a coop game. Coop mechanics are incredibly well-done in this game.
Yeah, it's a coop game, meaning you can't pause the game to fiddle through your inventory case, so inventory was streamlined to operate in real time.
I fail to see the "shit" and "terrible" parts about thoughtful and well-excecuted mechanics.
If your game mechanic improves one form of play but unnecessarily hurts another, it's a sloppy addition.

Here for example, co op works great when you have someone to play with. Not so much if you're alone. Now you're stuck with a shitty AI that shares your inventory and uses your items. Inventory management also takes a hit with no benefit. That's not thoughtful and well executed mechanics; that's giving the short bus your luggage.

Was the title of his video really that misleading?

Yeah. Just another guy milking his subs count. I often wonder why these YouTubers acquired so many followers from being deceptive. Unless they too support that notion.

And let me guess, go through the same cycle? Game comes out, people love it, honeymoon period ends, people become more critical of it? That's practically every video game ever made chief. Even games like Elden Ring and Breath of the Wild went through it. It doesn't mean the narrative changes and the games are then looked back on as bad. I just told you even RE3R, which received a lot of criticism, has plenty of fans and still gets discussed. How about Code Veronica? A game that was heavily flawed and divisive on release, and Resident Evil fans are clamoring for a Remake. You're talking about Resident Evil, a series that has tons of fan and attention to begin with.

If you think RE4R is going to fade from gaming discussion, not get replayed and not get brought up in the future, you're setting yourself up for disappointment. One could say the honeymoon period is over now, and a lot of people told Crowbcat to go pound sand over his RE4R video.

I think you are just misunderstanding what Im saying.
Of course some people will keep playing and talking about it, but the vast majority will move on to the next thing, even for the simple fact that they are churning resident evil games out every other day at this point.
We just had 3 years in a row 2019, 2020, 2021 with 3 games released, one year break in 2022 and immediately another game this year.
Meanwhile, there was a 2+ years break between re0 and 4 and 6 years if you count it from re3 and those old games felt more unique due to their different graphics/engines than the current remakes that all share the same camera, engine and some other basic features.

That's just the nature of today's landscape and some dude mentioning how much he likes re3 remake doesnt change the fact that the game is irrelevant and even the hardest capcom shills would be hard pressed to say it is not inferior to the original. Not to mention how desperately village was trying to imitate re4 but failed miserably.

We'll see how many people will still care about this game when they announce and release the inevitable re5 remake and re9.

Madflavor

I think you are just misunderstanding what Im saying.
Of course some people will keep playing and talking about it, but the vast majority will move on to the next thing, even for the simple fact that they are churning resident evil games out every other day at this point.
We just had 3 years in a row 2019, 2020, 2021 with 3 games released, one year break in 2022 and immediately another game this year.
Meanwhile, there was a 2+ years break between re0 and 4 and 6 years if you count it from re3 and those old games felt more unique due to their different graphics/engines than the current remakes that all share the same camera, engine and some other basic features.

That's just the nature of today's landscape and some dude mentioning how much he likes re3 remake doesnt change the fact that the game is irrelevant and even the hardest capcom shills would be hard pressed to say it is not inferior to the original. Not to mention how desperately village was trying to imitate re4 but failed miserably.

We'll see how many people will still care about this game when they announce and release the inevitable re5 remake and re9.

I'm sure they'll still love it. They just may even replay it again. All of them. What are you even trying to argue here? That the Original RE4 will be looked back on more fondly than RE4R? Cause yeah, it will. The game that was a trailblazer for the industry with it's groundbreaking over the shoulder camera view? RE4R could never hope to be groundbreaking like the Original. All it could do is be a great game with it's own take on RE4's story and approach to gameplay. It did, and people love it.

You may not think it's a great game, but plenty of people do. A Triple A game that manages to get a 97% Positive Rating on Steam Reviews is incredibly rare.

Good, keep em coming.

Sleepwalker

Its not like everyone talked all the time about the original since its honeymoon ended, yes it is regarded as a masterpiece, yes I loved it back then. But people moved on and only the speed run community stayed.

I can say that I have not played the original since like 2006 at most, thats the case for most people. Common folk don't revisit old hardware or games.

It's kinda crazy to say that "no one will talk about this game in a few years" and hold it as a negative to it somehow when that's the case for every game aside from communities like gaf or youtube channels dedicated to them.

ResurrectedContrarian

Suffers with mild autism
Uh oh...

AaLkCRn.png

Someone couldn't handle getting called out on his bullshit. I'm sure he didn't get any sleep last night.
Where does this screenshot come from, and why is everyone repeating it at face value in the thread?

I can find no evidence that the title or description was ever changed to what is shown here. I even checked the available timestamps on archive.org, and while I can't find one from exactly that view count (pretty close, though), the title and description never show that update.

I assume this screenshot was a joke post, but if so why the hell did so many of you believe it without even checking the actual page to see if it's true?

Was it actually edited for about 2 hours or so? If that was the case, surely no one is so dumb as to think this was "saving face" rather than mocking the very idiots who made such a big deal about the video. C'mon, inverting the title in that way if he ever did it is such an obvious troll. We're either being trolled with the screenshots or by crowbcat himself briefly, but those are the only options.

Last edited:

Sleepwalker

Where does this screenshot come from, and why is everyone repeating it at face value in the thread?

I can find no evidence that the title or description was ever changed to what is shown here. I even checked the available timestamps on archive.org, and while I can't find one from exactly that view count (pretty close, though), the title and description never show that update.

I assume this screenshot was a joke post, but if so why the hell did so many of you believe it without even checking the actual page to see if it's true?

Was it actually edited for about 2 hours or so? If that was the case, surely no one is so dumb as to think this was "saving face" rather than mocking the very idiots who made such a big deal about the video. C'mon, inverting the title in that way if he ever did it is such an obvious troll. We're either being trolled with the screenshots or by crowbcat himself briefly, but those are the only options.
No, he did change it and there's comments on the video itself alluding to it. He changed it back to the original title recently.

ResurrectedContrarian

Suffers with mild autism
No, he did change it and there's comments on the video itself alluding to it. He changed it back to the original title recently.
Doesn't seem recent, based on the screenshots I'm able to find on archive etc. It seems like he made an obvious troll title change for a few hours at most. And how on earth would anyone who has seen his videos in the past not realize the trolling humor? If crowbcat kept the video and reversed the title for a bit, the only people he was making fun of were obviously the ones losing their minds over it. He was targeting the very same people who tried to use his jab at them as evidence that he backtracked, lol

The guy titles his videos like "the brilliant fighting game community", and guess what, you might be surprised that the video isn't about how brilliant they are

Last edited:

Prekk

Neo Member
Honest question for all:

This remake will be completely forgotten within 1-2 years. The original will still be played 20 years from now.

Top Bottom