• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Bloomberg: Microsoft Mistakenly Posts Secret Game Plans to Government Site

analog_future

Resident Crybaby
They didn't tweet anything in 24 hours

300px-Monkey_Puppet.jpg

yurinka

I dont know where you got "wont happen" - I get a distinct "long game" vibe from this rather than a "wont happen", possibly because they explicitly state that.

Also, the email subject line is inconsequential - they are detailing plans that are at least partially already in motion, with dialogue already happening between writer and a MS BoD individual who has bought into Nintendo.
Yeah, how is this not a bigger deal and how did this information not make the FTC instantly deny the Activision acquisition?
This is the biggest part of the leaks to me as well. Beyond sinister activities from Microsoft, confirming the worst fears we had about them regarding buying and monopolizing the entire gaming industry.

If you read this 'random thoughts' mail you'll see that Phil says that to acquire Nintendo would be great but that the Nintendo and Steam acquisitions won't happen and explains the reasons, the same reasons everybody knows or guessed.

It's like to say: hey, I really want to date Ana de Armas. I told about it to my friends/bosses, and they say it would be cool, but sadly that isn't realistic because she lives in the other side of the world, she is a Hollywood star and I'm a random average non-rich and non-famous guy. I'll go to the gym and I'll try to improve at work to get rich, but I don't see it realistic at all, at least in the short-medium term.

Last edited:
If you read this 'random thoughts' mail you'll see that Phil says that to acquire Nintendo would be great but that the Nintendo and Steam acquisitions won't happen and explains the reasons, the same reasons everybody knows or guessed.

It's like to say: hey, I really want to date Ana de Armas. I told about it to my friends/bosses, and they say it would be cool, but sadly that isn't realistic because she lives in the other side of the world, she is a Hollywood star and I'm a random average non-rich and non-famous guy. I'll go to the gym and I'll try to improve at work to get rich, but I don't see it realistic at all, at least in the short-medium term.
You forget the part where one of your business partners has bought stake into her decision making process, perhaps as a contract manager or something of the sort, and that you are currently talking with them about strategies involving current existing transfers of financial energy to get you in her pants :)

Seems you didn't read the last 3 lines, where he explains why this acquisition didn't happen and won't happen. Also, the subject of that pre-Xbox Series release 2020 email is 'random thought'.

I don't think our interpretation of the level of intent matters that much. Nintendo now access to an email from the head of Xbox outlining an underhanded (albeit common) strategy that could be used to acquire Nintendo if Nintendo ever found itself on harder times. If they ever saw Xbox as a friendly adversary they're highly likely to be extra suspicious going forward.

Daneel Elijah

Gold Member

Don't know why you left out some of the most damning parts of the mail. I will try to do it like you, but with the full text. Sorry if it get dark:
Bro, I totally agree that Ana de Armas would be the biggest flex ever! I talked with her legal guardian and feel that I am the best fit of all of us wolves in heat. The hic is that she got money and until recently nobody even wanted to pimp her. An old friend of us is pushing hard and will probably go even harder. Without that friend I could not think of it and be the good guy to save her from him/ finish the job. I can't see her being ok to fuck with me and don't think that forcing myself on her would be a good idea so I have to stay the nice guy. Can you se the difference ?

Solidus_T

Is it just "random thoughts" that they have a business partner conducting this plan by proxy?

yurinka

Is it just "random thoughts" that they have a business partner conducting this plan by proxy?
I don't think our interpretation of the level of intent matters that much. Nintendo now access to an email from the head of Xbox outlining an underhanded (albeit common) strategy that could be used to acquire Nintendo if Nintendo ever found itself on harder times. If they ever saw Xbox as a friendly adversary they're highly likely to be extra suspicious going forward.

It isn't "a plan" or a "strategy". Phil said they have a former coworker who bought many stocks who may sell them to MS, but he doesn't have even a 1% of the company shares.

image.png

And that other than that he thinks Nintendo wouldn't sell the company and that to try a hostile takeover wouldn't be a good idea.

But that if some day in the future there'd be the opportunity (pretty likely not the case at least in many years because as he says Nintendo is sitting on a ton of cash) it would be cool and that their board of directors and him would support it. That's all.

You forget the part where one of your business partners has bought stake into her decision making process, perhaps as a contract manager or something of the sort, and that you are currently talking with them about strategies involving current existing transfers of financial energy to get you in her pants :)
That business partner owns way less than 1% of her desision making process, soo...

dating app GIF

Last edited:

X-Wing

Not only that, they know that one of the firms buying their shares has ties to Microsoft and is actively in contact with Spencer.

Is this false?

its not the courts job to go through the unredacted files. sounds like a microsoft legal employee uploaded the wrong files to, say, a google drive link, and the court uploaded the files to the website. That is how things generally go (not neccesarily google) - Senjutsu sage is seemingly insinuating that the court had access to instructions about which files to upload and which not to, which is not generally how things go.

Dr_Ifto

If I were Microsoft, I would just ignore it. Dont feed the flame. It will all fade from existence from any relevent news site within a week or so. Just continue as it didnt happen. Nothing of real consequence came out, though its all pretty damning for acquisition standpoint, but no govt is good enough to challenge MS lawyers, the ABK merger is pretty much a done deal. Especially with the news that xcloud is being defunded for now.

StereoVsn

If I were Microsoft, I would just ignore it. Dont feed the flame. It will all fade from existence from any relevent news site within a week or so. Just continue as it didnt happen. Nothing of real consequence came out, though its all pretty damning for acquisition standpoint, but no govt is good enough to challenge MS lawyers, the ABK merger is pretty much a done deal. Especially with the news that xcloud is being defunded for now.
...Meanwhile at Japanese FTC Watanabe-san is looking into their previous approval... 😉

Microsoft:
Ooad3j2.jpg

Well, not quite, but that would be hilarious.

gaheris

Thank god for the wayback machine because all the pdfs are there from the case are there, where they were captured yesterday. So many documents but fascinating. Here is the link to the page where it archived everything, 127 files, mostly PDFs if anyone is interested. It's about 820 MB.

Update

There are several files that I don't think are archived correctly:
PX1950, PX7014, PX2133, PX2199, PX8001, RX0070, RX0079, RX1162, PX9009, PX4365, PX9005.
I checked them all and they are 127 kb big, none of these files would open, I don't think wayback captured them when it did its original capture of the page. There is still a lot here and someone would have gotten these files, hard to think they won't find their way online like the rest of them.

Last edited:

DJ12

Thank god for the wayback machine because all the pdfs are there from the case are there, where they were captured yesterday. So many documents but fascinating. Here is the link to the page where it archived everything, 127 files, mostly PDFs if anyone is interested. It's about 820 MB.
Some are missing, like px1950, hopefully nothing juicy was contained.

gaheris

Some are missing, like px1950, hopefully nothing juicy was contained.
They are not actually missing, if you are using a bulk downloader I think it can have issues with some of the links. I would go to the page itself and download the normal way. That's what I did on a different browser. It might be they were corrupted in the archive process though. I think the most interesting are all the non redacted docs anyway.

Last edited:

DJ12

They are not actually missing, if you are using a bulk downloader I think it can have issues with some of the links. I would go to the page itself and download the normal way. That's what I did on a different browser.
When I click the link it says it's not there, I did bulk download the majority, but have clicked a few that are missing with it disabled and no joy.

Hrm.​

The Wayback Machine has not archived that URL.

This page is not available on the web
because page does not exist
Click here to search for all archived pages under
Plenty to be reading through though lol

Last edited:

BlackTron

Every time I sit down at my desk I now expect a new reality shattering news about Xbox. Taking a swig of coffee or a hit isn't even complete without it anymore. It's joever MS

gaheris

When I click the link it says it's not there, I did bulk download the majority, but have clicked a few that are missing with it disabled and no joy.

PX1950, PX7014, PX2133, PX2199, PX8001, RX0070, RX0079, RX1162, PX9009, PX4365, PX9005.
I checked them all and they are 127 kb big, none of these files would open but like DJ12 said there is plenty to chew on here and I am sure someone got them and they find their way online one way or another.

bless you for this post

DJ12

I checked them all and they are 127 kb big, none of these files would open but like DJ12 said there is plenty to chew on here and I am sure someone got them and they find their way online one way or another.
Cannot wait until someone finds the smoking gun of how much gamepass is actually losing right now, then literally all lines of shilling will be exposed.

skit_data

Imagine being the MS employee to upload those documents, sheesh.

Stuff like this makes you realize making small mistakes like accidentaly farting slightly too loud at work really isn't that bad.

Last edited:
Top Bottom