• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Bloomberg: Unity Overhauls Controversial Price Hike After Game Developers Revolt

adamsapple

Or is it just one of Phil's balls in my throat?

Video-game tool maker Unity Software Inc. said Monday it’s backtracking on major aspects of a controversial new price hike, telling staff in an all-hands meeting that it’s now considering changes including a cap on potential fees.
Under the tentative new plan, Unity will limit fees to 4% of a game’s revenue for customers making over $1 million and said that installations counted toward reaching the threshold won’t be retroactive, according to recording of the meeting reviewed by Bloomberg. Last week, Chief Executive Officer John Riccitiello delayed an all-hands meeting on the pricing changes and closed two offices after the company received what it said was a credible death threat.
Marc Whitten, a Unity executive, said the company hasn’t yet announced the latest changes because executives are still running them by partners and don’t want to repeat last week’s communications debacle, which led to several clarifications.
In the meeting, Riccitiello emphasized that the new policy is designed to generate more revenue from the company's biggest customers and that more than 90% of Unity users won’t be affected. Several employees asked during the meeting how Unity would bounce back from what appeared to be a breach of trust. Executives said the company will have to “show, not tell” and handle future communications more carefully.

“I don’t think there’s any version of this that would have gone down a whole lot differently than what happened,” Riccitiello said. “It is a massively transformational change to our business model.”

But, he acknowledged, “I think we could have done a lot of things a lot better.”

Last edited:

HeisenbergFX4

Gold Member
We heard you

Brady Bunch K GIF

Deft Beck

How on Earth are you going to get reliable self-reporting? A checkbox on install? So, anyone who consents to data collection will contribute to these metrics?

Danny Dudekisser

I paid good money for this Dynex!
See, and this is where the real mess begins. It's going to be so difficult to keep track of what is or isn't the policy. I do think they'll dial it back from something that'd be a potentially existential problem for the company to something that's merely awful, but I'm not sure I'd say they learned their lesson.

SmokedMeat

Gamer™
I don’t remember any confusion about developers getting fucked over.

What developer would trust going with Unity at this point?

skit_data

But hey, I think we might have a contender:

Edit: Something about Elon Musk wanting everybody to pay for twitter

Last edited:

Men_in_Boxes

Snake Oil Salesman
Unity is f***ed.

They didn't attempt the change due to greed. They attempted the change due to survival. Walking back on the change means they're left with their original problem of being a sinking ship.

Holy crap that response from Unity only makes it worse. This is textbook "how not to respond in such a crisis". Who is that PR team?

They have already destroyed any trust they had from devs.

Plus, this price hike is really there to gut the company. The CEO, as well as some of their top level executives, have been selling their stocks beforehand. Basically insider trading.

MLSabre

See, and this is where the real mess begins. It's going to be so difficult to keep track of what is or isn't the policy. I do think they'll dial it back from something that'd be a potentially existential problem for the company to something that's merely awful, but I'm not sure I'd say they learned their lesson.
Until that CEO and board of directors are out, they won't. They are nothing but persistent cockroaches of the industry.

Tams

The CEO and board of directors are clearly greedy cunts.

Unity are no longer trustworthy.

They've been bleeding money for years.

There's nothing special about the engine anymore.

Why would anyone start using Unity from now on?

Last edited:

j0hnnix

Gold Member
Should of never considered this. Company just put out a feeler to see if you could get away with it and now look like total asshats. Even worse trying to back track now.

ReBurn

Gold Member
Bet they wish they would have just announced new tiers and seat license prices for developers instead of trying to do the thing they tried to do. It's fair to expect a cut of the success if the developer isn't paying up front for the tool, but to retcon like they tried to do was stupid.

lh032

I cry about Xbox and hate PlayStation.
overhaul or not overhaul, apologize or not apologize , the initial pricing strategy definitely scares alot of customers (devs) away.

if im the devs that is currently making games using Unity, i would be scared as fuck.

DaGwaphics

Unity is f***ed.

They didn't attempt the change due to greed. They attempted the change due to survival. Walking back on the change means they're left with their original problem of being a sinking ship.

If that is indeed the situation, that will certainly be difficult to navigate for both Unity and the developers.

On the one hand, Devs obviously don't want to pay more, but on the other they likely have a lot of experience with the engine and would like to keep using it and for the engine to be updated with capabilities and features as time goes on. Same scenario for Unity, they want to net more money and loosing all your customers trying to drive the price sky high isn't going to reach that end.

Have no idea how this company runs though, are they smart with the money they've got or is it all craziness and yachts and parties for the execs? 🤷‍♂️

StreetsofBeige

Gold Member
Are there a lot of easy to substitute game engines out there? If not, they'll all flock back to Unity. it's like Adobe. Surely uproars when years back they changed to $20-30/mth sub plans. Adobe is at record highs. For those out of you whp dont know, you cant buy copies of Photoshop anymore like the old days. You got to monthly sub to it.

Top Bottom