• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Arkane Hoped Microsoft Would Cancel ‘Redfall instead only canceled PS5 version’

Bernoulli

M2 slut
“The acquisition gave some staff at Arkane hope that Microsoft might cancel Redfall or, better yet, let them reboot it as a single-player game, according to sources familiar with the production. Instead, Microsoft maintained a hands-off approach. Aside from canceling a version of Redfall that had been planned for rival Sony Corp.’s PlayStation, Microsoft allowed ZeniMax to continue operating as it had before, with great autonomy.”

Last edited:

Riky

$MSFT
Well it is a single player game, I've played through it alone. Something doesn't add up as all these claims of GAAS and microtransactions are strange as the game has no store and no matchmaking.
Maybe they meant it to be like Destiny but as people left they decided it wouldn't be supported so just released it without all the online stuff.

Banjo64

cumsessed
Either option was going to be a nightmare for them.

A: let them cancel the game, and you get a huge uproar. Allow them to make the game and gamble with that chance.

There was no clear win here.
They chose wrong IMO.

Ever since the announcement, we have not been able to give you an update, as a result of the continuing development -- although this is very regrettable -- we must let you know that the current development progress has not reached the standards we seek in a sequel to the Metroid Prime series.

Despite some upset, most people viewed the above as a required evil because they’d take an amazing Prime 4 over a shite one.

azertydu91

Hard to Kill
They chose wrong IMO.

Ever since the announcement, we have not been able to give you an update, as a result of the continuing development -- although this is very regrettable -- we must let you know that the current development progress has not reached the standards we seek in a sequel to the Metroid Prime series.

Despite some upset, most people viewed the above as a required evil because they’d take an amazing Prime 4 over a shite one.
And they are
Star Trek Tos GIF

Well it is a single player game, I've played through it alone. Something doesn't add up as all these claims of GAAS and microtransactions are strange as the game has no store and no matchmaking.
Maybe they meant it to be like Destiny but as people left they decided it wouldn't be supported so just released it without all the online stuff.

Game seems to be inspired heavily from Ubisofts Division series.

Not that I am complaining. But that's a big ask from a small studio like Arkane.

Hopefully it will be supported like Division 2 by MS.

Ok that is fucking hilarious

>Instead, Microsoft maintained a hands-off approach. Aside from canceling a version of Redfall that had been planned for rival Sony Corp.’s PlayStation

...so it wasn't a hands-off approach, like, at all. It was hands-on in all the wrong ways.

fLkisFi.jpg

Riky

$MSFT
Clearly there is a difference between playing something like Sea of Thieves, Destiny or Redfall solo compared to a game like Prey, Ori or Uncharted.

You obviously haven't played the game, it has little in common with SOT or Destiny, it has no store, no microtransactions, no matchmaking and no other players in the world apart from any you invite for co-op. It has a story that goes from start to finish, it's a single player game with a co-op friends option.

Last edited:

Banjo64

cumsessed
Aw

You obviously haven't played the game,
Correct, I have no interest in wasting my limited time on earth with garbage like this.

it has little in common with SOT or Destiny, it has no store, no microtransactions, no matchmaking and no other players in the world apart from any you invite for co-op. It has a story that goes from start to finish, it's a single player game with a co-op friends option.
The entire design language around this game from the beginning of its development has been that this was intended at its core to be a co-op online shooter. It’s not my fault that they decided to bin the MTX and store in 2021 or that the game ended up being a convoluted mess with mixed messaging and no match making.

Mr Moose

A: let them cancel the game, and you get a huge uproar. Allow them to make the game and gamble with that chance.

When was it announced? They could've cancelled it and no one would've known or given a shit imo. Game has always looked a bit crap.
I checked, it was June 2021 E3. I guess they wanted to show something from their recent acquisition.

Zheph

cancelling is a win long term imo, all about reputation

In Redfall case, they had the chance to cancel it before showing so no one would have say anything

Last edited:

Three

Ok that is fucking hilarious

>Instead, Microsoft maintained a hands-off approach. Aside from canceling a version of Redfall that had been planned for rival Sony Corp.’s PlayStation

...so it wasn't a hands-off approach, at all. It was hands-on in all the wrong ways.
Yeah, it's pretty obvious it was hands on but they wanted a product at the end of it. If they didn’t communicate this products state and that they don't think it's ready for MS to cancel or delay then that's on the studio. I doubt they didn’t know though.

Last edited:

Riky

$MSFT
Correct, I have no interest in wasting my limited time on earth with garbage like this.

The entire design language around this game from the beginning of its development has been that this was intended at its core to be a co-op online shooter. It’s not my fault that they decided to bin the MTX and store in 2021 or that the game ended up being a convoluted mess with mixed messaging and no match making.

Where did I say it was your fault? You got evidence they binned the store in 2021? Please post it.
You said it was like playing SOT or Destiny and it isn't, it's nothing like those games. Maybe do some research before commenting in future.

diffusionx

Gold Member
There was no way MS was going to cancel a live service game that could drive GP subscriptions, same reason why they continue to burn money in the giant pit that is called Halo Infinite, same reason why they want to spend $70 billion on Activision.

I dunno, I watched a lot of Redfall reviews and I think it did have potential, it was just incompetently executed on every level. If Arkane didn't want to work on it, it certainly shows in the final project but also major issues up and down from management to production to the devs all of whom couldn't figure it out.

Pelta88

How fucked is the MS 1st party when studios are hoping their publisher will cancel their projects?

TBH, this is something that worries me about GamePass. The incentive is to keep the content coming irrespective of whether it’s of acceptable quality.

Corporate didn't care about the state of the game. Their focus was cancelling the PS5 version and putting it on GamePass. That is really problematic.

Last edited:

kuncol02

Banned
Where did I say it was your fault? You got evidence they binned the store in 2021? Please post it.
You said it was like playing SOT or Destiny and it isn't, it's nothing like those games. Maybe do some research before commenting in future.
There were screens from leaked alpha with store.

SEGAvangelist

Gold Member
Corporate didn't care about the state of the game. Their focus was cancelling the PS5 version and putting it on GamePass. That is really problematic.
Looks like this was more a Bethesda decision based on the article. Xbox didn't intervene. Also, "some staff" is nowhere close to "Arkane" wanting the game cancelled. I imagine the staff was mixed on this.

Luigi Mario

Redfall was announced a few months after Microsoft acquired Bethesda at their Xbox E3 2021 showcase. If they would have cancelled Redfall shortly after the acquisition, nobody would have known about this game. So, your option A doesn’t make any sense.

Last edited:

IFireflyl

Gold Member

That thread has nothing to do with the topic of this thread. Unless your position is that if someone makes a post inside of a thread, then that somehow means that that post topic can't be turned into a thread by itself. But that seems like some wildly pointless backseat moderating.

Banjo64

cumsessed
You could just read the article, because it’s in there, but sure;

Harvey Smith recently said in an interview with the website Eurogamer that “early on” he pushed back against the compulsory inclusion of an in-game store. But people who worked on the game said the remarks didn’t square with how things played out. For the first three years, Redfall had a significant microtransaction plan in place. Only in 2021, with “games as a service” growing more controversial among gamers, did Arkane finally scrap its unwieldy in-game monetization plans.

I have watched hours of reviews on this POS, it was too funny not to. I’d say that’s sufficient research to conclude that the mission structure is similar to those games (y)

DaGwaphics

When you have people that hold strong opinions based on nothing more than the opinions of others you get a lot of misinformation flying around. A good 50% of the criticism you see floating around about this game obviously has nothing to do with this game at all, which makes it even more hilarious. :messenger_grinning_smiling:

The mission structure in this game is absolutely nothing like SoT and is way more "Far Cry 5" than Destiny (there is zero grind or skill advancement requirement, while those mechanics are partially present they are not required for game progression). No one that played the game for 20 minutes would ever make those comparisons.

Last edited:

Riky

$MSFT
There were screens from leaked alpha with store.

None of the 14 screens has a store that I can see, you got anymore?

I said in the other thread did they decide they weren't going to support the game so stripped out stuff, I really don't know. but the game we have now isn't a live service game at all.

Mr Moose

Arkane hoped MS would cancel their turd so it is MS fault in the end ?

Maybe Arkane should have hoped, and tried, to make a good game instead ?

This is beyond ridiculous.
Both are to blame, MS should've said "Wait a minute, this is shit!" and told Bethesda to calm down with their "everything needs to be GAAS!" crap/cancelled the game.
And Arkane should've not made said shit to begin with.

You obviously haven't played the game, it has little in common with SOT or Destiny, it has no store, no microtransactions, no matchmaking and no other players in the world apart from any you invite for co-op. It has a story that goes from start to finish, it's a single player game with a co-op friends option.

That’s not what he said, he simply said there’s a difference playing Redfall solo versus an actual single player game like Ori or Uncharted. And he’s right. Even the abilities and skill trees in Redfall are designed for co-op play. It’s a game designed around co-op, but is available to play solo in a watered down fashion. Just like Destiny, or Sea of Thieves, or Borderlands, The Division, etc.

Riky

$MSFT
When you have people that hold strong opinions based on nothing more than the opinions of others you get a lot of misinformation flying around. A good 50% of the criticism you see floating around about this game obviously has nothing to do with this game at all, which makes it even more hilarious. :messenger_grinning_smiling:

True. People keep talking about GAAS when it clearly isn't, also live service but with no matchmaking 🤣

kuncol02

Banned

Riky

$MSFT
That’s not what he said, he simply said there’s a difference playing Redfall solo versus an actual single player game like Ori or Uncharted. And he’s right. Even the abilities and skill trees in Redfall are designed for co-op play. It’s a game designed around co-op, but is available to play solo in a watered down fashion. Just like Destiny, or Sea of Thieves, or Borderlands, The Division, etc.

The co-op is watered down most as there is no matchmaking, they just scale up enemies if you got up to four friends

Mr Moose

None of the 14 screens has a store that I can see, you got anymore?

I said in the other thread did they decide they weren't going to support the game so stripped out stuff, I really don't know. but the game we have now isn't a live service game at all.
Maybe the Item Shop thing in the top right? Is that still there?

Leave it to Riky to defend every exclusive, even Redfall.

The co-op is watered down most as there is no matchmaking, they just scale up enemies if you got up to four friends

The entire game is a glass of room temperature tap water. But you’re playing the worst version of the game if you play solo. It is designed for co-op.

Top Bottom