• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Redfall developer Arkane currently safe, Microsoft says

Heisenberg007

Gold Journalism
Chained to a radiator in the basement, but hey, they are totally safe down there.
Coming Soon Wink Wink GIF by Age Of Empires Community

Agent_4Seven

Tears of Nintendo
They just need to get back to what they're good at, which does not mean that the should stop experimenting, just not when it comes to genres and types of games they're not good at at all or it's just not what they want to work on.
I mean, FFS, the whole team wished for this game to be cancelled, so what does that tell you?

Last edited:

MidGenRefresh

*Refreshes biennially
I just hope that whatever talent there’s left there will leave and join the new studio formed by Raphaël Colantonio.

Heisenberg007

Gold Journalism
They just need to get back to what they're good at, which does not mean that the should stop experimenting, just not when it comes to genres and types of games they're not good at at all or it's just not what they want to work on.
I mean, FFS, the whole team wished for this game to be cancelled, so what does that tell you?
That's the problem -- there is nothing to get back to.

These guys are not the ones who created Prey and Dishonored. 70% of that team left. This is a new bunch of people who did not create those immersive sims we know Arkane from.

There is nothing to get back to.

It’s a tough one. Given the staffing exodus, it’s like a metal band changing 4/5 of its members. Are they still the same band, or a bunch of guys playing a tribute?

That phrasing reminds me of the classic ‘The manager has the full backing of the board’ we see in the Premier League only for the manager to be sacked the following week.

Not the best phrasing. If I was there at Arkane and heard that I’d be shopping myself around immediately.

Last edited:

CGNoire

Close them, don’t close them, I’m now indifferent to it (except it being sad when people lose jobs). There’s nothing left of what made arkane arkane it seems. Best we can hope is that the people that made them great carry that legacy with them to the new studios they go to or form. Weird west was interesting…I’d have preferred a first person immersive sim and it’s shame about the lack of voice acting (which resulted in me dropping it)…I’m interested in whatever they do next

This.

I dont get it why people continue to Stan compaines for some times decades long after they bleed all there original staff.

1324596542030_7713053.png

I'm just going to put this on my phone somewhere easily accessible for virtually every thread MS is even mentioned in. The fact that some of you people are cheering on the closing of this studio after a single dud is unhinged.

feynoob

Banned
This.

I dont get it why people continue to Stan compaines for some times decades long after they bleed all there original staff.
People like certain games and would like those devs to stay.
I would love to get a new old splinter cell series like in the past. But those devs aren't available anymore.

feynoob

Banned
Kinda unsettling they want to keep a corpse around. You're supposed to bury them.
It's better than starting new studios.
Look at the initiative. That is a new studio, which struggled to make their own game.

The studio developed a shit MP game under a bad management. This time, they can make their own game without worrying about funds or someone telling them what to make. You can hire a better talent that way.

EverydayBeast

thinks Halo Infinite is a new graphical benchmark
Played prey along with deathloop talk about good games, so until Redfall reaches PlayStation I won’t say anything about it.

Agent_4Seven

Tears of Nintendo
That's the problem -- there is nothing to get back to.

These guys are not the ones who created Prey and Dishonored. 70% of that team left. This is a new bunch of people who did not create those immersive sims we know Arkane from.

There is nothing to get back to.
They're basically dead then, unless they'll merge with their second studio (Lyon) which made Deathloop - that is of course, if a shit ton of people didn't left it too.
Why the fuck they didn't cancel this POS long time ago? JFC.

Last edited:

adamsapple

Or is it just one of Phil's balls in my throat?
So they’re safe…..as a support studio since most of the staff is gone. 🙃

My dude, they're not running an empty office lol, some of the original folks that worked on prey are gone and now newer employees are taking their place.

It's strange reading multiple posts from folks who think there's only 10 people in the Austin studio right now.

feynoob

Banned
My dude, they're not running an empty office lol, some of the original folks that worked on prey are gone and now newer employees are taking their place.

It's strange reading multiple posts from folks who think there's only 10 people in the Austin studio right now.
Not to mention, the studio can function without the old team. It's like people don't know that you can hire people to work for your company.

Laptop1991

Safe to do what though and if 70 percent of the Prey team have left, and the present team only worked on recent games, then i'm not holding out hope for more Dishonored or Prey type games, which is what i want from them.

Sorry. I was hoping my 🙃 let it be known that I was joking.

Hope the studio doesn’t get closed in the future. 🙏

Last edited:

Jigsaah

Gold Member
There's been a few games that have seen redemption after fiascos even larger than Redfall. Cyberpunk, Rainbow Six Seige, Final Fantasy XIV....and XV. I say let em try to fix it. What do we have to lose at this point?

Krathoon

There's been a few games that have seen redemption after fiascos even larger than Redfall. Cyberpunk, Rainbow Six Seige, Final Fantasy XIV....and XV. I say let em try to fix it. What do we have to lose at this point?
Yep. Just let them fix it or pass it to another studio and have them fix it. Not a big deal. It does not need a massive overhaul.

This is not as bad as Ultima IX. That was a disaster.

Last edited:

Arsic

Loves his juicy stink trail scent
These guys have to carry the stigma of RedFall into their next project. They will be under the heaviest microscope ever too.

Any signs of shit AI, bugs, 30 fps, dead world, etc will lead to their closure .

Safest bet is a dishonored 3, or Prey 2.

Shubh_C63

Ofcourse they are safe. Only executives are making up the entire dev team at this point.
Bring in new leadership, say "we'are so sowyy" on twitter and start anew.

Verchod

I don't see why one bad game should end the studio. Look at Ninja theory, they released Bleeding edge. Wasn't that supposed to be shit? And their other stuff isn't that great. The best game they ever made was Kung Fu chaos.
Arkane have made many great games and Austin studios only other game was Prey, which was excellent.

L*][*N*K

Banned
Is this about all of Arkane or just Arkane Austin? Because Arkane Lyon is still a good studio with lots of potential

diffusionx

Gold Member
I don't see why one bad game should end the studio. Look at Ninja theory, they released Bleeding edge. Wasn't that supposed to be shit? And their other stuff isn't that great. The best game they ever made was Kung Fu chaos.
Arkane have made many great games and Austin studios only other game was Prey, which was excellent.

I think MS needs to have less tolerance for failure overall. Look at what they did with 343 after Shitfinite and the complete debacle that was the post-launch support in 2022 - that's what they need to do. MS doesn't need Arkane Austin, especially when, let's face it, their games do not have high sales ceilings. Redfall in fact was probably explicitly done to try to reach a wider audience.

avin

"It was a miss, but how much of a miss?" Booty concluded, adding it gets "good play" on Xbox Game Pass.

A miss? My problem with Redfall was, I couldn't see it was much of a swing.

But I feel for the developers, stuck with a plan probably none of them wanted. I can hope they get back on track with something worthwhile.

avin

Last edited:
While I didn’t think Deathloop lived up to the lofty heights set by the Dishonored games and Prey, it was good enough that I’m still cautiously optimistic for Arkane Lyon’s next game. Would be a shame if they got shuttered right now.

Last edited:

Gobjuduck

Banned
They should just make a small scale single player game with redfall assets. Don’t think they can fix the live service version of the game, has to be scrapped.

Maybe they can make DLC for whatever arkane lyon (the better studio) is working on now.

Krathoon

Hah. I found Redfall for $19 on a third party key site. That seems like a decent price. Now I have a copy on Steam.

Krathoon

It can already be found for 17$. But even at that price, you are getting ripped off.
The site I went to had it for $17, but it was $19 when I checked out. Tax?
I think it is ok at the price.
So far, I don't see any mods for it. The DRM might have it locked down.

Top Bottom