• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

[Jez Corden] OPINION: This week's big Xbox drama showcases how little people trust Nadella's Microsoft — a legacy forged in the death of Windows Phone

Kenneth Haight

Gold Member
It’s his avatar on Twitter

Makes him look like an arrogant fedora wearing neckbeard
ladies GIF

It as is if he has modelled himself on the guy

Dane

Windows Phone never had a chance because Nokia as a company was going downhill pretty damn fast and every high officer at MS, including Gates and Nadella, were against the acquisition, a year and half later they had it to write off. So much shit went wrong.

Last edited:

Iced Arcade

Did that really happen?
It was wpcentral. Was a sister site to Crackberry.com Androidcentral.com imore.com under the umbrella "mobile nations". Was later acquired by another company I believe crackberry and it's original owner went independent again.

Neo_game

Nadella was the one who made Phil CEO of gaming division. He was also the one who started signing blank cheque for buying all these studios. It is probably true though that he does not really care about the console wars. His job is to make share holders happy and max profits for Microsoft. I do not think now all of sudden you can blame him. I am not even sure he was too active on Xbox decision making. Xbox is a small division for Microsoft. Phil Spencer was the CEO and probably making most decision and getting his approval when needed.

DryvBy

Wait, hang on... Jez wants to throw Nadella under the bus instead of Phil and his shoddy leadership.

Meanwhile, its Nadella's leadership of Microsoft since he got there that led to them being them being the 2nd company in history to hit a $3T market cap? And its Phil's continued leadership of Xbox that has led it to all of the rough patches they keep finding themselves in? It wasn't Xbox that led MS to be worth that much.
What's sad is how corporate culture works. Don destroys Xbox One's launch, nice pay out and lands somewhere else running the show. Phil runs Xbox into the ground, will leave with a nice severance and run some other company into the ground.

How do these morons land jobs after being high profile failures? If I lost my company millions in profits and destroyed a sector of the company, they'd probably sue me!

Nydius

Oh Jez. Microsoft’s love-hate relationship with hardware goes much further back than Nadella. Ballmer had his share of hardware failures and division shut downs too. Next article going to blame him as well rather than properly blaming the Xbox division heads for completely dropping the ball for years?

Astray

Gold Member
The worst thing Nadella did was listen to Phil in 2017 and burn this much money on gaming. Now he's stuck with all these studios.
I am %100 confident we will see a bloodbath at Microsoft gaming in the next 4-5 years.

You look at a studio like Doublefine just dicking around and doing basically nothing after Psychonauts 2 shipped, and you think, would a cut-throat 3P CEO like Kotick standby and let it happen? Hell, Phil himself closed studios that were infinitely more productive.

No matter what they go with, there will be studio blood on the streets.

analog_future

Resident Crybaby
Jez is about as cringe as they come. Of all the people in the world to stumble into this position of notoriety within Microsoft circles, it's this fucking clown? Like, how?

Yeah Jez, The same Nadella that recently made Microsoft the most valuable company on the planet cannot be trusted because of... Windows Phone. You cracked the fucking case.

Last edited:

XXL

How do these morons land jobs after being high profile failures? If I lost my company millions in profits and destroyed a sector of the company, they'd probably sue me!
Phil succeeded and failed simultaneously, in the eyes of MS I would imagine.

Failed - He failed to grow Xbox's marketshare.

Success - He changed the public image of Xbox after Xbone. His persona was most likely extremely intentional and allowed them to get to where they are now on good will.

Just look how he directly fostered relationships with Sycophants online.

Last edited:

DJ12

Jezza: Gears of War going to playstation.

Jezza: People over reacted and are going to look silly.

Jezabell: News not as bad as people (ie him) made out and everyone will be fine.

Also Jezza: It's Satya's fault he want's to kill xbox.

Make up your fucking mind ass hat.

simpatico

It was full domination saturation or bust for XBox from the beginning. A company like Nintendo just wants to make game stuff and sell it for a profit. The XBox project's goal was always to become the only player in the market and anything short of that was a failure.

Astray

Gold Member
Nadella wanted to shut xbox down years ago but let Phil spencer try to turn it around. Does it look like he has achieved that? Not even close. Its worse than ever instead. Now Microsoft higher ups are taking things into their own hands. It's the right decision from a business standpoint.
It's gonna be a decision Wall Street likes, and it will be fiscally responsible.

But it will likely entail things that gamers will definitely look back on as mistakes.

Microsoft just doesn't have any kind of expertise in the entertainment industry, sometimes you have to take a little more water on the ship to make sure you retain your key talents and lock them down while they make things for you to monetize.

This isn't Microsoft 365 engineers where you can replace with contractors or lay off ppl and the consumer won't tell the difference immediately. The results of whatever Satya decides will be almost immediately felt by the gaming consumer.

Remember that Satya bigged-up Redfall in an investor call, and that was something that every experienced gamers immediately realized was bad. He's a great CEO, but he's not a great gaming CEO.

Artistic

Last week's plan? Oh no, you probably mean next week's plan!
If I were to guess, maybe Satya/MS/Xbox is trying to making console gaming affordable. Accessibility.

Especially to countries they haven’t reached yet.

Gamepass is vital.

nick776

This is a serious question. Is there ANYTHING Microsoft could say next week (aside from saying they are NOT porting games to PS5 and Switch) that could possibly undo the damage that has been done? It seems to me that no matter what they say, the Xbox brand has suffered what is likely irreparable harm over the past month or so. I do not see any way possible they could turn around the fate of the Series S/X after all this. So, what could they possibly say to make things "ok?"

This is a serious question. Is there ANYTHING Microsoft could say next week (aside from saying they are NOT porting games to PS5 and Switch) that could possibly undo the damage that has been done? It seems to me that no matter what they say, the Xbox brand has suffered what is likely irreparable harm over the past month or so. I do not see any way possible they could turn around the fate of the Series S/X after all this. So, what could they possibly say to make things "ok?"
exactly.

the best-case case scenario is an announcement that is; "Not as bad".

nick776

exactly.

the best-case case scenario is an announcement that is; "Not as bad".
I really do think everyone should post in as many places as humanly possible to encourage anyone who recently bought a Series X to RETURN IT if they are still in their return period. Microsoft knew precisely what they were doing when they dropped the price to $349.00. Surely some places have 60 day return policies for store memberships, etc. It may not be much, but if enough people call MS on their BS and return the consoles it may give some satisfaction to those who are upset. Microsoft wants to have their cake and eat it too, all at the expense of the consumer.

Atrus

Gold Member
Those in charge of XBOX have routinely underperformed, provided rose-tinted valuations and expectations to upper management that have then fallen far short.

At some point, and I believe this is what’s changed, those in the upper echelon will demand results. They’ve invested everything Phil wanted in terms of acquisitions and he now has to show realistic returns that match his promises.

Banjo64

cumsessed
Success - He changed the public image of Xbox after Xbone.

Can’t say I agree.

In fact I’d say he’s made the public image worse.

TV and always online could be turned off in a day. With the right people and planning Xbox could have recovered quickly.

The public image now is of a company that makes endless promises over 10 years but can not execute. This is much harder to come back from, and as we’ve seen with the sales figures collapsing over the last 12 months, it’s proven terminal.

Xbox’s reputation now is worse than it’s ever been IMO.

XXL

Can’t say I agree.

TV and always online could be turned off in a day. With the right people and planning Xbox could have recovered quickly.

The public image now is of a company that makes endless promises over 10 years but can not execute. This is much harder to come back from, and as we’ve seen with the sales figures collapsing over the last 12 months, it’s proven terminal.

Agree in the end, but I'm more talking about in the beginning. People eventually caught on.

Can’t say I agree.

Yep a lot of people think the hardware sales collapsing is because of day 1 on PC. That didn't help but I think this is just the brand reputation finally catching up with them. So what will happen is people move to playstation or PC and then eventually their friends leave as well.

El Muerto

Fuck i miss my Windows Phone
Sad Cat GIF

But I do believe Microsoft will drop Xbox as soon as it quits being profitable.

Wait, hang on... Jez wants to throw Nadella under the bus instead of Phil and his shoddy leadership.

Meanwhile, its Nadella's leadership of Microsoft since he got there that led to them being the 2nd company in history to hit a $3T market cap? And its Phil's continued leadership of Xbox that has led it to all of the rough patches they keep finding themselves in? It wasn't Xbox that led MS to be worth that much.

This is what I don’t understand, if their numbers are so bad (I’m not disputing it by the way) and they have done such a poor job which imo they have , why is Spencer and his teams still in a job?

Did they ever consider a new , more capable set of people could do a much better job with Xbox, especially as a console?

Last edited:

Jigsaah

Gold Member
Just imagine if Phil comes on next week and puts most of this anxiety to rest.

Will we see tweets of the influencers jumping back in bed with Xbox? People rebuying the console because they acted too quickly.

People are so weak minded and weak willed these days.

Jez happily apologizing to Microsoft for doubting them?

Either way this Phil presentation goes...the reaction is going to be one for the ages. I'm here for it.

This is what I don’t understand, if their numbers are so bad (I’m not disputing it by the way) and they have done such a poor job which imo they have , why is Spencer and his teams still in a job?

Did they ever consider a new , more capable set of people could do a much better job with Xbox, especially as a console?
Phil has spent a lot of marketing money crafting a public image that is near unimpeachable. Its been his saving grace during his entire tenure at Microsoft. Its an organization that rewards yes men above all. You can stay on as long as you want, fail upwards, as long as you tell them what they wanna hear.

As long as your perception isn't dropping below a certain level, you'll stay there. But once it does, like a few names I won't name but you know exactly who I am talking about, and I am referring to notable studio leadership as well as publishing leadership within Microsoft. And even in those situations, they let you leave with a public-facing cover story so you can go and get a nice E-suite level job elsewhere.

Phil has spent a lot of marketing money crafting a public image that is near unimpeachable. Its been his saving grace during his entire tenure at Microsoft. Its an organization that rewards yes men above all. You can stay on as long as you want, fail upwards, as long as you tell them what they wanna hear.

As long as your perception isn't dropping below a certain level, you'll stay there. But once it does, like a few names I won't name but you know exactly who I am talking about, and I am referring to notable studio leadership as well as publishing leadership within Microsoft. And even in those situations, they let you leave with a public-facing cover story so you can go and get a nice E-suite level job elsewhere.

For me the Xbox always had massive potential and it’s never been that close to realising it. Maybe a little with 360.

As someone who loved the OG and 360 ,and is someone who has been a passionate fan, I have found the recent year’s frustrating and seeing people like Phil praised or not come under hardly any scrutiny if it all particularly in the media just adds to the frustration. “what are they seeing that I am not , something is off about it all” that kind of thing

And it’s not even about beating Sony or Nintendo for me, I want all three to be brilliant as it benefits us as gamers.

I maybe be wrong but imo I think with the right culture/people in charge , the console after Xbox One would of been much better then this Series stuff and at least would of had some sort of a launch line up.

I don’t believe they can never compete with PlayStation and Nintendo as some say , I firmly believe they can with the right people.

Last edited:

Mr.ODST

Jez is about as cringe as they come. Of all the people in the world to stumble into this position of notoriety within Microsoft circles, it's this fucking clown? Like, how?

Yeah Jez, The same Nadella that recently made Microsoft the most valuable company on the planet cannot be trusted because of... Windows Phone. You cracked the fucking case.
He is still salty they cancelled the WIndows Phone, when recently looking at his feed, its all he goes on about is Windows Phone, I had one it was shit

Disappointing article from Jez I don't know what's up with the Xbox community and not being able to call out Phil and his piss poor tenure as the leader at Xbox. This guy had the full backing of Microsoft and couldn't grow their customer base that alone should be a fireable offense or his evaluation of games before they launch he's always been terrible at that so there's another fireable offense, "but he grew revenue"! Yeah by buying revenue not by actually expanding the consumer base. So we are to believe it's Nadella's Microsoft we shouldn't trust and not the guy in everyone's face doing interviews the last decade representing the Xbox brand the last time I checked investors are extremely happy with the leadership of Nadella it seems as if they just put up with Phil they aren't stupid they can see GamePass hasn't come close to reaching internal metrics you can't have a growth product with stalled growth aaaaand there's another fireable offense....

sendit

Just imagine if Phil comes on next week and puts most of this anxiety to rest.

Will we see tweets of the influencers jumping back in bed with Xbox? People rebuying the console because they acted too quickly.

People are so weak minded and weak willed these days.

Jez happily apologizing to Microsoft for doubting them?

Either way this Phil presentation goes...the reaction is going to be one for the ages. I'm here for it.
nah. Why would they wait a week to deny all these assumptions? It’s already caused major damage to their brand. I would assume there are some hard truths to the rumors and assumptions that have been made so far.

Laptop1991

It's not just Nadella's Microsoft, it goes back a long way, they failed with Internet Explorer, Zune, Windows Vista, which ruined EAX, Kinect, yeah then their Windows phone and now potentially Xbox and i'm still not a fan of W10 and 11, they use to make good quality Keyboards, Mice and Joysticks going back to the 90's,,

Microsoft always want's too much control and won't play nice with others and doesn't seem to get the reason their successful OS are liked because their open and not walled off. they just pull the plug instantly and that's it, they make their money from software, Operating systems, office and ad revenue, most of these failures just seem like a hobby to them as they don't need to make bank, well after the 70 billion plus acquisitions, their going to have to make some profit, hopefully their ip's will put out better games to sell not rent

Last edited:

Three

They will likely try to sell the "it will be different this new new gen" dream again. Say they're keeping this and that exclusive and only doing it "case by case". That's the only thing that would make sense if they want to appease their console fanboys.

The only other way is they are in fact just completely ripping off the bandaid and becoming a big publisher instead, in which case they probably don't care what the console fanboys think anyway.

Heisenberg007

Gold Journalism
I am %100 confident we will see a bloodbath at Microsoft gaming in the next 4-5 years.

You look at a studio like Doublefine just dicking around and doing basically nothing after Psychonauts 2 shipped, and you think, would a cut-throat 3P CEO like Kotick standby and let it happen? Hell, Phil himself closed studios that were infinitely more productive.

No matter what they go with, there will be studio blood on the streets.
Even 4-5 years is too much, I'd say.

Phil bet their chips on Starfield and GP being huge successes. That miscalculation forced them to change their entire business strategy.

Now they are betting everything on PS5 and Nintendo customers buying their games. However, XGS games are not of the same quality and will face a stern competition on those stores. Both PlayStation and Nintendo have prepared their own lineup for the next few years, not taking into account / giving space to these XGS games.

When these games do not sell (how many people will buy Avowed or Perfect Dark vs. Venom and Death Stranding 2?), these studios will be in trouble. Eventually, they will have to cut cost I reckon and, very soon.

TheBomb

Meanwhile, its Nadella's leadership of Microsoft since he got there that led to them being the 2nd company in history to hit a $3T market cap? And its Phil's continued leadership of Xbox that has led it to all of the rough patches they keep finding themselves in? It wasn't Xbox that led MS to be worth that much.
I agree, and to me they gave Phill seems lots of chances to prove it. I guess they had enough. The leadership is this is how it’s going to be done. I hope they get rid of Phill. Sony is no 3 trillion dollar company, so they kept the same path most of the time. It has worked for now. Will find out next week.

Top Bottom