• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Xbox looking to be "more flexible" with next generation

damidu

sure was already waiting more brilliant ideas from the people, who hamstrung themselves for a whole generation with a 1/3 performing turd

next in line, proprietary console gpus !!

god! get someone competent in there already.

Black_Stride

do not tempt fate do not contrain Wonder Woman's thighs do not do not
2028 for the next generation Xbox?
So probably a year after or the year of the RTX60s.......perfect timing for me.
Im skipping Blackwells RTX50s so ill be ready for the nextbox.

I sure hope im still alive.

Last edited:

Brucey

Honestly that model to me sounds like a console pc hybrid approach.

"Plays on xbox"
Hardware could change every year or 2 years and or include 3rd party manufacturers.
Maybe it dual boots windows and xbix console.

Then every 6 or 7 years the oldest hardware loses support. (Like phone operating systems maybe?)

Not sure if this would be smart or dumb for them but might leverage thier pc market penetration if they do a dual boot.
They already did something similar with their "Windows Mixed Reality" headset experiment:

Brucey

They're about to be another $70b invested.
For most companies that would be a staggering amount on the balance sheet. That prob buys themselves several times over. For MS that's a few crumbs sitting in the bank. But in the big picture it achieves nothing positive.

Heisenberg007

Gold Journalism
Don’t agree with this at all, big budget AAAs are usually the safest, blandest by the book games on the market.

It’s usually the AAs that actually try new things.
AAA games take 5-6 years of development and can turn out to be duds like Redfall.

But more importantly, they don't feed the content pipeline for a subscription service as consistently. You release a high-budget AAA game on a subscription service, subscribers are free to leave the service after they finish it. You need a constant stream of content to keep them subscribed.

That's where AA games come in: cheaper to produce and quicker to develop and release so subscribers always have new content joining the service. So they stay subscribed and keep paying money.

Panajev2001a

GAF's Pleasant Genius
sure was already waiting more brilliant ideas from the people, who hamstrung themselves for a whole generation with a 1/3 performing turd

next in line, proprietary console gpus !!

god! get someone competent in there already.
Their dream is the worst of consoles (close boxes without any upgradability, paid online, and no modding of any kind they do not explicitly approve of and control), the worst of PC’s (multiple HW specs changing with small iterative changes, no big jumps and no support for big quirky new ideas quickly [hard to get the solution to support all HW variations and devs onboard], to get people to buy new HW more often despite making cross generation games forever a reality and being a pain for devs and giving problems to users too as a result), and worst of mobile (no discs anymore, no physical ownership). Plus well that Netflix of gaming subscription gaming thing to destroy user perceived game value.

THE DUCK

voted poster of the decade by bots
A modular Xbox will be very interesting…

Or just do 3 tiers

$300 low
$500 mid
$700 high

I like this idea, throw a decent amount of ram and a great cpu in it, then a cheapo gpu in the base unit, mid gpu the $500, and great one in the $700. But will developers be happy with this approach?

Zuzu

Yuck, I don't want this to be the case.

I don't think this will happen but I really hope Sony don't get it in their heads to chase after the $299 console market next generation and do something similar.

DenchDeckard

Moderated wildly
More all digital consoles coming. Next gen is gonna be a tough one to go for, for me.

I love physical. I'll just have to change my purchasing habits.

THE DUCK

voted poster of the decade by bots
More all digital consoles coming. Next gen is gonna be a tough one to go for, for me.

I love physical. I'll just have to change my purchasing habits.

I was thinking about this, perhaps developers should consider a standardized format "collectors box" that gets mailed out for an extra $10 - $20. Something maybe even a bit nicer than today's boxes with a collectible coin or small color handbook.
But for every game, as per ms or sony, they must be available.

Last edited:

Mephisto40

I'm predicting they'll offer and xcloud only option, and it will fail, hard

Also all xbox next gen console games must be compatible with Xbox Series S

Last edited:
That would be my guess. Game Pass Stick for $99. I don't see a tier above the X either as they'd probably just tell you that is what PC gaming is for.

If they're smart they'll sell an xbox gaming pc with windows on it. There really isn't a name brand with regards to prebuilt computers and building your own pc is for hobbyists. That whole market has been ripe for the taking.

ZoukGalaxy

Stop It Michael Jordan GIF

Stop it and just deliver a classic console with a constant flow of first party GAMES, that's ENOUGH "experiment" fails.

Oh, one more thing: fire clown Phil, he's a useless LIAR.

Last edited:

Audiophile

Gold Member
The "Lite" model at the beginning of the gen isn't completely flawed. Problem is the GPU gulf with the XSS is too big, the memory bandwidth is too low and then you have additional small changes on top.

An effectively identical system with a 50% GPU size, 75% memory, ~65% bandwidth and 50% storage would be fine. Cut native resolution and all dependent fx in half, a few tweaks and that's it. But with a 33% GPU size, 62% memory, 40% bandwidth; fundamental functionality can't traverse the gap without major difficulty. Even knocking 200MHz off the CPU where game logic occurs is just being awkward, it can be overcome for sure, but you're already making things hard, now they're just adding to it for whimsy and a tuppence ha' penny in savings..

Posted it already elsewhere, but this would a been the play imo:

xxxretrospect.png

adamsapple

Or is it just one of Phil's balls in my throat?
They wanted it years ago but could not make it small enough for their vision

I'm gonna make a safe assumption that tech would be mature enough by 2028 that they can finally have a small set-top box if they want one.

The three pronged approach can work on paper. 1. High end machine 2. Medium/Low end entry level machine 3. Cloud only streaming stick or puck at a much lower price.

Riky

$MSFT
I'm gonna make a safe assumption that tech would be mature enough by 2028 that they can finally have a small set-top box if they want one.

The three pronged approach can work on paper. 1. High end machine 2. Medium/Low end entry level machine 3. Cloud only streaming stick or puck at a much lower price.

That seems like a realistic range, on top of the Cloud app appearing on more television screens.

sankt-Antonio

:^)--?-<
All these leaks paint the picture MS wants Hard-/Software that primarily make it faster, cheaper and easier to church out game content. Not better, cheaper and faster. Fucking GP.

mitch1971

There idea is make so many versions of their next gen console there won't be enough space on store shelves to display the competitions units.

Think About It GIF by Identity

Brucey

Gamepass streaming already available on some Samsung TV's etc.

adamsapple

Or is it just one of Phil's balls in my throat?
Gamepass streaming already available on some Samsung TV's etc.

True, but their set-top will probably require some kind of native processing and not every TV vendor might want to do similar partnerships.

kruis

Exposing the sinister cartel of retailers who allow companies to pay for advertising space.
What’s the purpose of a pro version of series X if its games are going to be limited by what a 4tf 10GB system can do?

MS is stuck with the Series S, it's their best selling model with 75% of total Xbox Series S/X sales.

RaySoft

Relatively small odds for that being a stream only device and a conventional local console, so probably not the same as a Series S and X of this gen.

Pelta88

More flexibility means an extremely low spec console. Taking everything that leaked during the acquisition, a console targeted at the mobile market is most likely. I’m not sure how they market that device or how they position it in the market, but their internal deliberations state that mobile is the only place they envision growth.

Last edited:

wolffy66

I'd expect the next console to also be series "x" and series "s". It will probably be like "you need a 2027 or later series x or s to run this game."

The naming will stay and they just refresh every so often.

Top Bottom