• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

IGN France: Yes, Redfall was originally planned for PS5

Rykan

No, it won't.
  • xCloud is tied to Game Pass, so as of now, a maximum of 25 million Game Pass subscribers can now play the game via xCloud. (even after assuming there is 0 overlap between current xCloud users and XBS users, which is not true).
  • There are 32 million PS5 users, which would be near 40 million by the time Redfall releases.
So, no. By making it exclusive, Microsoft has reduced the net Redfall gamers by at least 10+ million.
He said Xcloud Compatible devices. You're only counting current gamepass subscribers, but any device is capable of signing up and subscribing to Gamepass at any moment, provided they live in a supported area.

Heisenberg007

Gold Journalism
He said Xcloud Compatible devices. You're only counting current gamepass subscribers, but any device is capable of signing up and subscribing to Gamepass at any moment, provided they live in a supported area.
"signing up and subscribing" - so obviously they can't be counted until they sign up and are able to play the game.

Otherwise, by that logic, Microsoft took away Redfall from 8 billion people because anyone can buy a PS5.

Only current players who are currently able to play can be counted.

Last edited:

ToTTenTranz

Banned
By cutting Redfall out of Playstation, it's pretty obvious that less people will be playing the game.
Making the game playable on GamePass / XCloud might increase the Total Addressable Market for everyone with a PC, Samsung TV, etc. (number of people who are capable of buying and playing the game), but it's also decreasing their Obtainable Market (i.e. number of people who are capable and willing to buy and play the game).

Total Addressable Market (TAM) & Its Emerging Importance | starlight  analytics blog

You can increase the TAM all you want, but in the end you only sell your product to the SOM.

Rykan

"signing up and subscribing" - so obviously they can't be counted until they sign up and are able to play the game.

Otherwise, by that logic, Microsoft took away Redfall from 8 billion people because anyone can buy a PS5.

Only current players who are currently able to play can be counted.
Now you're just being absurd. You can subscribe to gamepass and use the supported hardware that you own to play the game. Subscribing to Gamepass is no different then purchasing a game in this particular context.

You have access to a game on PS5 if you buy it (Same as subscribing) for your Playstation 5.
You have access to a game on Xcloud if you subscribe (Same as purchasing) for your supported device (Mobile, computer, w/e)

By your logic, nobody has access to the game because you need to purchase it first.

Last edited:

geary

No, it won't.
  • xCloud is tied to Game Pass, so as of now, a maximum of 25 million Game Pass subscribers can now play the game via xCloud. (even after assuming there is 0 overlap between current xCloud users and XBS users, which is not true).
  • There are 32 million PS5 users, which would be near 40 million by the time Redfall releases.
So, no. By making it exclusive, Microsoft has reduced the net Redfall gamers by at least 10+ million.
Yea, but as the PS5 can BUY the game or not, on xCloud you can subscribe on gamepass or not to play the game.

The issue here is that hardware where you have the possibility to play the game on xCloud thourgh GP are way more than playstation hardware.

EverydayBeast

thinks Halo Infinite is a new graphical benchmark
Deathloop was a unique game and don’t forget prey, they weren’t clear about Redfall being exclusive.

Nocturno999

I'm ok with exclusives, I'm ok with timed exclusives and a few money hats never hurt anybody. But I just can't handle fucking hipocrites. Get bent MS.
Let's hope you also think the same about Sony.

And I'm not the only one that thinks that Bethesda was also working on a PS5 version of Starfield.

Last edited:

cireza

No, it won't.
I would be curious to know what is the source for the information that MS is going to stop accepting new XCloud subscriptions after 25 millions ? If you take into account that the number for PS users will increase, then do the same with XCloud.

The number of XCloud subscribers is not constrained by the number of PS available, but by the number of compatible Xcloud devices. I know that PS is successful, but I still think that the number is below compatible PCs and phones. So the game will be available to a much wider audience.

Last edited:

Pedro Motta

And I'm not the only one that thinks that Bethesda was also working on a PS5 version of Starfield.
Of course they were.

You think that before the aquisition they were like: "Let's put our biggest game ever and our biggest investment ever only in the platform that sells less, and leave out the platform that makes us more money?"

Heisenberg007

Gold Journalism
I would be curious to know what is the source for the information that MS is going to stop accepting new Game Pass subscriptions after 25 millions ? Especially if you take into account that the number for PS users will increase.

The number of Game Pass subscribers is not constrained by the number of PS available, but by the number of compatible Xcloud devices. So the game will be available to a much wider audience.
When did I say that?

25 million GP subscribers is the last official data we have from Microsoft. We can always revisit the calculations whenever MS releases updated GP numbers.

As of now, however, there are 32 million PS5s and 25 million GP/xCloud active users. So if Redfall is released today, 8 million fewer people will be able to play the game -- and that goes against what Phil Spencer said that they want "more people to be able to play these games." (which was the basis of their acquisition)

Heisenberg007

Gold Journalism
Now you're just being absurd. You can subscribe to gamepass and use the supported hardware that you own to play the game. Subscribing to Gamepass is no different then purchasing a game in this particular context.

You have access to a game on PS5 if you buy it (Same as subscribing) for your Playstation 5.
You have access to a game on Xcloud if you subscribe (Same as purchasing) for your supported device (Mobile, computer, w/e)

By your logic, nobody has access to the game because you need to purchase it first.
You're complicating it needlessly.

If Redfall is released today:
  • 32 million PS5 owners won't have the ability to play the game (because Microsoft canceled the PS5 version)
  • 25 million xCloud users will have the ability to play the game (because Microsoft put it on Game Pass)
That's a net deduction of 8 million people who won't be able to play Redfall. And that goes against Phil Spencer's quote:

8dCF2yq.jpg

cireza

When did I say that?

25 million GP subscribers is the last official data we have from Microsoft. We can always revisit the calculations whenever MS releases updated GP numbers.

As of now, however, there are 32 million PS5s and 25 million GP/xCloud active users. So if Redfall is released today, 8 million fewer people will be able to play the game -- and that goes against what Phil Spencer said that they want "more people to be able to play these games." (which was the basis of their acquisition)
Ok, with a "right now" point of view, I get what you mean.

However the calculation for MS is of course to expand XCloud as much as possible. So even if people are not active users yet, technically, Redfall will be playable by a much wider audience if available on every smartphone over the globe. And this would not have happened without MS stepping in and putting the game on XCloud.

Last edited:

Zephyrus0

Banned
Sony’s cool though right? Snatching up all sorts of money hats, permanent and timed. Lets be real, if this were sony doing this way less people on gaf would be irate
Yeah sony's cool.
Sony's mostly buying developers that already were pretty much just making exclusives for them.
Bungie's the only example that contradicts this.
So far they've pledged to still make multiplatforms, so yes sony's cool.

Sony is also not responsible for making a paywall to play online games. Ms is. So yes sony's cool.

No it really isnt about the exclusivity. When MS bought Bethesda, everyone knew this was going to happen sooner or later. Why else would you acquire companies other than to gain a competitive edge? The issue is when MS is caught saying something else, while doing the exact opposite.
You buy a corp for exclusives and I've much doubt there's any documentation that MS signed off with a promise and guarantee to bring Redfall to the PSV

Evil Calvin

Afraid of Boobs
Such fanboy-ism here.

If a company buys a developer, they put the games on their own platform. End of story. There is no obligation to appease other platforms. If it makes business sense...sure....like existing franchises which have fanbases, like COD, and Minecraft, but new franchises, like Starfield and Redfall........should have no expectation or reason to have to be multi platform.

Sony fans crying even though the company has a long history (and recent) of paying for exclusivity and having their own studios make exclusive games (Horizon, GOW, Spider-Man).

It's no different.

Yeah sony's cool.
Sony's mostly buying developers that already were pretty much just making exclusives for them.

Sony is also not responsible for making a paywall to play online games. Ms is. So yes sony's cool.
So it's okay for SONY to buy developers that it paid to keep games exclusive on its system beforehand? And what are you on about a paywall? I think SEGA beat both SONY and MS to it with its paywall in Japan for Saturn online games and then the move to do it on the latter DC online games in USA,

PlayStation fans act no better than Man Utd fans calling out Man City for their spending; when Man Utd was spending for fun and outspending their rivals, there wasn't a single complaint from the man Utd fans. To see PlayStation say they suddenly care for honesty and multiplatform games is irony at its peak.

Last edited:

nikolino840

Yeah sony's cool.

Also haven or insomniac..now microsoft can't ask them to make xbox games

Willing to make avatar bet, this will be highest played Arkane game ever. By a huge margin.

Gamepass subscribers might be capped at 25 million, but game will reach a whole lot more of potential audiance, ushering us in new era of IP growth and engagement.

MS is thinking big, hence they have worded their thoughts in specific way. Something narrow minded warriors will never understand.

Zuzu

Exclusives will always exist whether that be in the form of games, services or special hardware. Other than lowering their hardware and software costs below their competition, how else are Sony, Nintendo or Microsoft able to compete and differentiate themselves from the competition without offering something that is exclusive to their platform that the others don’t offer?

But I do agree that Microsoft shouldn’t give the impression that they don’t intend to make many games that will come from Bethesda and Activision/Blizzard exclusive to their gaming platform. Unless they do intend to release the vast majority across multiple platforms but simply compete by putting said games on GamePass and so offer the games at a lower point of entry with regards to price compared to Sony or Nintendo.

Last edited:

Rykan

You're complicating it needlessly.

If Redfall is released today:
  • 32 million PS5 owners won't have the ability to play the game (because Microsoft canceled the PS5 version)
  • 25 million xCloud users will have the ability to play the game (because Microsoft put it on Game Pass)
That's a net deduction of 8 million people who won't be able to play Redfall. And that goes against Phil Spencer's quote:

8dCF2yq.jpg
You're the one who is complicating it because you're trying to come up with arbitrary rules as to why only current subscribers of gamepass should be counted instead of every device that can subscribe and access gamepass/xcloud.

By that same logic, you can't include every single PS5 owner as having the ability to play the game because only PS5 owners who spend 70$ (Or whatever the price is at any given time) can access the game. While we don't know how many that would be, it certainly wouldn't be equal to the amount of gamepass subscribers.

The quote that you keep posting is incomplete. Here is the full context again:
Spencer said. "Nowhere in the documentation that we put together was: 'How do we keep other players from playing these games?' We want more people to be able to play games, not fewer people to be able to go play games. But I'll also say in the model—I'm just answering directly the question that you had—when I think about where people are going to be playing and the number of devices that we had, and we have xCloud and PC and Game Pass and our console base, I don't have to go ship those games on any other platform other than the platforms that we support in order to kind of make the deal work for us. Whatever that means."

Last edited:

Zephyrus0

Banned
So it's okay for SONY to buy developers that it paid to keep games exclusive on its system beforehand? And what are you on about a paywall? I think SEGA beat both SONY and MS to it with its paywall in Japan for Saturn online games and then the move to do it on the latter DC online games in USA,

PlayStation fans act no better than Man Utd fans calling out Man City for their spending; when Man Utd was spending for fun and outspending their rivals, there wasn't a single complaint from the man Utd fans. To see PlayStation say they suddenly care for honesty and multiplatform games is irony at its peak.
Yes, it is.
The day you'll finally understand that the magnitude of buying a publisher is a lot bigger than buying a developer that only makes exclusive for them, you'll also feel that it's okay.

HeisenbergFX4

Gold Member
Exclusives will always exist whether that be in the form of games, services or special hardware. Other than lowering their hardware and software costs below their competition, how else are Sony, Nintendo or Microsoft able to compete and differentiate themselves from the competition without offering something that is exclusive to their platform that the others don’t offer?

But I do agree that Microsoft shouldn’t give the impression that they don’t intend to make many games that will come from Bethesda and Activision/Blizzard exclusive to their gaming platform. Unless they do intend to release the vast majority across multiple platforms but simply compete by putting said games on GamePass and so offer the games at a lower point of entry with regards to price compared to Sony or Nintendo.
Phil said this right away

“With the addition of the Bethesda creative teams, gamers should know that Xbox consoles, PC, and Game Pass will be the best place to experience new Bethesda games, including some new titles in the future that will be exclusive to Xbox and PC players.”

Seems pretty obvious what the intent was

Lupin25

Phil said this right away

“With the addition of the Bethesda creative teams, gamers should know that Xbox consoles, PC, and Game Pass will be the best place to experience new Bethesda games, including some new titles in the future that will be exclusive to Xbox and PC players.”

Seems pretty obvious what the intent was

Was this after the purchase or before it?

It seems the issue is that this rhetoric after the acquisition is somewhat contradictory of his phrasing in pursuit of it.

HeisenbergFX4

Gold Member
Was this after the purchase or before it?

It seems the issue is that this rhetoric after the acquisition is somewhat contradictory of his phrasing in pursuit of it.
After the purchase

But also like others have pointed out Phils wording has been they would never take games away which technically is true, they just didn't promise new games would be multiplat

Shitty I agree but also not lying like so many want to claim

I have said it before Phil is a used car salesman and pretty good at it and I genuinely like Phil as he is actually a funny guy outside of the Xbox talking head mold

MiguelItUp

Ms is such a cancer to this industry...
My god...
To be fair, "the big 3" (Nintendo, Sony, and Microsoft) are far from being saints of any kind. They've all done and associated with shitty practices. This industry is a business, and they've done things to make it clear they feel that way, as they should. They don't care about the perspective of the consumer, they want the loyalty, and the money. But radical fans will continue to praise company x, y, z. I wouldn't say anyone is a "cancer" to this industry, this industry has changed, a LOT. Each dabble in shitty practices that don't really push the industry in a good direction.

That being said, I bet a ton of "angry" people never really cared about Redfall until this "news" came to light. I can understand coming to conclusions about future titles, but I wouldn't assume too much.

Last edited:
Top Bottom