• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Big Nintendo Switch Exclusive Will Reportedly Be Announced Very Soon (Pikmin)

TLZ

Banned
I've never played a Pikmin game. I sometimes wonder what I'm missing out on.

Of course, without ever playing one, I was also confused about how Animal Crossing was so popular. And then I bought New Horizons and played quite a bit. Now, I'm even MORE confused why Animal Crossing is so popular.

But, I've been obsessed with Switch. I'd likely give Pikmin a try on the console.
It's actually a very interesting game. Has nice lifelike graphics for nature as well.

Animal Crossing on the other hand.... No thanks.

Vawn

Banned
So did you like animal crossing or no? im in the same position as you. on the verge of buying AC though. I have a good feeling i know what it is/will be and that i wont like it...but the allure around it is just so irresistible

im not one to be hyped for pikmin, maybe THIS is the gen I get into it though.

I didn't. I mean, I played it for a while, so it kept me interested enough, but I found it pretty boring and pointless. I didn't feel anything was propelling me forward. 90% of the game just seems to be catching bugs and fish.

Finally, Metroid Prime 4 news.

tenor.gif

zombrex

Please be true but please don't be a rushed by the numbers cash in with easy difficulty.
3 had some great ideas but was a bit shallow. Would also like to see them expand the co op mode which was a ton of fun.

PrimeX

I fuckin loved Pikmin 3 on my WiiU and I promissed myself I will buy a Switch only with the next Pikmin. But hell, no deluxe version or any other crap vresion of the WiiU game please! Nintendo got lazy this gen and just ported a lot of old games.
I want my Pikmin 4!

Pejo

Well, Pikmin isn't my cup of tea, but good for those that enjoy it.

I wish we'd get some new IPs. The only one I can think of for Switch has been ARMs, which lost its fun for me personally after like 5 hours.

Last edited:

DunDunDunpachi

Patient MembeR
I wouldn't consider Pikmin to be a big exclusive. It's more of a filler, like Luigi's Mansion. Paper Mario, No More Heroes, and Bravely 2 are also similarly-sized filler in 2020. Bayonetta 3 is supposed to be this year but maybe not.

Breath of the Wild 2 is the only major Switch game for the rest of the year that I'm aware of.

Last edited:

Cravis

I’m calling it... Devil’s Third. Ha-ha. Only kidding.

Can’t believe the prices on that game that have skyrocketed, just in the past 9 months. I bought it sealed for $80 and now sealed goes for $200+

I wouldn't consider Pikmin to be a big exclusive. It's more of a filler, like Luigi's Mansion. Paper Mario, No More Heroes, and Bravely 2 are also similarly-sized filler in 2020. Bayonetta 3 is supposed to be this year but maybe not.

Breath of the Wild 2 is the only major Switch game for the rest of the year that I'm aware of.

Luigi's Mansion 3 is a filler that could sell upwards of 10 million copies, I don't get that definition of filler. Pikmin 4 fits with the Switch incredibly diverse first party line-up. In contrast to another platform holder that has a clearly defined mold for their games (third person, walking in a snowy forest, snarky chit chat, bonding), Nintendo games pretty much have no genre or stylistic overlap between them. Xenoblade, Fire Emblem, LM, Mario Odyssey, BOTW, Mario Party, Mario Maker, Animal Crossing, Splatoon 2, Arms and everything else. It's a something for everyone mentality that I suppose does generate some dissatisfaction, but I don't think there's a "big exclusive" in that approach. There's just stuff you're going to like out of that group.

DunDunDunpachi

Patient MembeR
Luigi's Mansion 3 is a filler that could sell upwards of 10 million copies, I don't get that definition of filler. Pikmin 4 fits with the Switch incredibly diverse first party line-up. In contrast to another platform holder that has a clearly defined mold for their games (third person, walking in a snowy forest, snarky chit chat, bonding), Nintendo games pretty much have no genre or stylistic overlap between them. Xenoblade, Fire Emblem, LM, Mario Odyssey, BOTW, Mario Party, Mario Maker, Animal Crossing, Splatoon 2, Arms and everything else. It's a something for everyone mentality that I suppose does generate some dissatisfaction, but I don't think there's a "big exclusive" in that approach. There's just stuff you're going to like out of that group.
True, I forgot that Luigi's Mansion 3 blew up in sales. Either way, "filler" is not meant as a value judgment. The games I mentioned are cool, but they aren't headliners intended to draw attention for large chunks of the year. Diverse offerings are fine, too. I don't consider Pikmin (nor the other games I mentioned) a particularly "big Nintendo Switch exclusive". A Mario Kart, Legend of Zelda, Splatoon 3, or something like that is more what I'm referring to, a game that owners of the system and potential customers are looking forward to for more than just 5 or 6 months in advance.

True, I forgot that Luigi's Mansion 3 blew up in sales. Either way, "filler" is not meant as a value judgment. The games I mentioned are cool, but they aren't headliners intended to draw attention for large chunks of the year. Diverse offerings are fine, too. I don't consider Pikmin (nor the other games I mentioned) a particularly "big Nintendo Switch exclusive". A Mario Kart, Legend of Zelda, Splatoon 3, or something like that is more what I'm referring to, a game that owners of the system and potential customers are looking forward to for more than just 5 or 6 months in advance.

Yeah I get you, Pikmin isn't a "big" exclusive in the traditional sense, but it's another unexplored genre for the console and they're really going for that diverse library. So that also helps niche games to sell well, Three Houses sold very well when you consider it's a SRPG/waifu dating simulator. Even stuff like NSMBU which was the very definition of filler still sold well. And that's my point, the games are so diverse that I don't think a relevance gradation is possible because there's a tendency the sales and hype will outdo that expectation anyway. The line between that system seller stuff and smaller games with Nintendo are blurry. Everything sells, they're printing money like gangsters.

In short, they don't expect Mario numbers from Pikmin. But it will grossly outsell Pikmin 3. That is, if it is Pikmin 4 which IT BETTER BE lol.

Top Bottom