• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Am I the only one not impressed by Resident Evil: The Village?

Cons:

- It's FPS

- And it's... FPS

The fact that its first person its the only good thing about it. Every game thats not a turd 3rd person is an auto win. Thats its not another piece of shit looking at your avatar perspective is a good thing

Last edited:

Aggelos

I have been keeping up with this game since it was announced and the first trailer was released. The story appears to be decent but is it just me or does the execution just fail with this game. It looks boring and the graphics/animation/gameplay look average at best. I know that its a cross gen game but there some games that came out years ago that look better than this does. I am not understanding or seeing where all the hype is coming from.

The aspect of story/style/aesthetics/gemeplay comes from the fact that the series has been going on since March 1996 (that is 25 goddamn years!), And it being Capcom's best-selling series of all time, means that they will keep screwing us with RE games for the rest of our living daylights. And that brings fatigue, tiredness, weariness, satiety, and repletion. People get this feeling that "I'm full of this can't take any more". And on the other aspect of the spectrum, Capcom is a profit-based and profit-driven company.
Since the RE series is their warhorse, they're gonna play it death for the rest of their lives, because the corridors of power within Capcom want to become stinking rich and filthy rich. That's what a profit-based and profit-driven company does, they follow the money wherever it takes them.

Here are the corridors of power within Capcom (a Japanese company, mind you).
img_officer_01.png

"The first Resident Evil game was created by Shinji Mikami and Tokuro Fujiwara and released for the PlayStation in 1996. Resident Evil is Capcom's best-selling video game franchise, with 107 million units sold worldwide as of December 31, 2020."

"Capcom's predecessor, I.R.M. Corporation, was founded on May 30, 1979by Kenzo Tsujimoto. Tsujimoto was still president of Irem Corporation when he founded I.R.M. Tsujimoto worked concomitantly in both companies until leaving the former in 1983.
The original companies that spawned Capcom's Japanese branch were I.R.M. as well as its subsidiary Japan Capsule Computers Co., Ltd., both of which were devoted to the manufacturing and distribution of electronic game machines. The two companies underwent a name change to Sambi Co., Ltd. in September 1981, while Capcom Co., Ltd. was first established on June 11, 1983 by Kenzo Tsujimoto, for the purpose of taking over the internal sales department."

As for the other aspect (graphics, technology, visuals, etc) the game doesn't look so "wow!", because developer Thomas Puha from Remedy Games explained the present situation, the other day. Therefore, that's that relating to the technical standpoint of the game.

Key points :
-What you see now with upgraded last-gen games to next-gen is limited by what you initially wrote as code for last-gen systems.
-It's not realistic/feasible to completely recode everything to use next-gen power because of time and resources.

-The consoles are constantly being updated by Sony/MS for better performances, "it's super early days".
-Sony stuck with what works, so their system development and tools were stable and good early on.
-MS decided to change a lot of things, good in the long run, but a bigger hurdle for devs early on.
-Everyone talks about teraflops this and that, it's just numbers to devs, what really matters to devs are the tools and how everything is coming together, at the end of the day.
-Takes a huge amount of resources to make sure each platform runs the game efficiently, so it depends on how big your company is and the resources you are willing to invest in that process.
-Devs are just scratching the surface of next-gen.

Last edited:

Dick Jones

Gold Member
It's cross-gen so don't expect miracles. Now Resident Evil 9: sIX will be a masterpiece as it is solely on next gen consoles.

Last edited:

Kokoloko85

Looks cool but Im dissapointed its another RE game with a stalker.
RE7 - Had the dad
RE2 - Broke the originals formula and had mr x chasing you ( it was only for scenerio B )
RE3 - Nemisis ( only one that should have a stalker )
Now RE8 has the lady stalking you.

Looking forward to an RE game that hasnt got someone chasing me....

SafeOrAlone

Banned
I am worried, especially since there will be a stalker character again. Many people might love that, but I hate it, since I want to carefully check the rooms and environments and don}t want to be disturbed by a stalker character, who just forces me to run outside a little bit and return later again. They should give people the option to disable or enable the stalker character...
In plenty of other games, I may feel similar, but not here.
Survival horror gameplay should make you desperate, should limit your supplies, and keep you on your toes.

I don't want everything handed to me and I don't want to take my time slowly gathering all the weapons and ammo I need to defeat the enemy with relative ease.

I'm not trying to invalidate your position, but this is a survival game, so in my mind, what they are doing is brilliant.

Last edited:
All cross gen games are built for the last gen consoles...

All of them, play the V and XseX for FPS advantages, Res boosts and RTing...

When we start getting new engines you'll really start to see what these consoles can do, (look at Returnal,Medium,DemonsSouls and Ratchet for a snaek peek) but for now almost all third party and cross gen will look last gen, because it is.
The only games I played that felt next gen were Demon Souls, Spider Man MM and.... little bit planet! Waiting for Ratchet, Returnal for me looks not good (graphics)

I also got the new Remasterd Spider Man. Cool, just that.

Croatoan

They/Them A-10 Warthog
An FPS game that doesn't have ADS? Yeah, I am passing boys. Should have passed on 7, hated it.

Last edited:

Represent.

Represent(ative) of bad opinions
I was a little in agreement with you there until you said The last of us 2, then I pissed my self laughing. So what are you saying? Graphics dont matter, but only when it's the last of us 2? Or are you talking about Tlou 2's shit writing?

If thats the case, more laughing ensues.
How can you get that from what I said lmao

Im saying RE8 has average, unimpressive graphics and there is nothing special at all about it. Im done supporting these developers that just make cookie cutter games with no evolution or risk involved.

And TLOU 2 writing is god tier in gaming. Nothing in the same stratosphere.

Im extremely unimpressed they should have just released it on lastgen consoles or earlier when nextgen consoles came out. Not now as we are expecting fresh new nextgen games, its just not well

johntown

Banned
All these people saying graphics are average are out of their minds or obviously not playing in 4k with HDR. The game looks amazing and if you don't think it does I am really curious about what you think does look good?

Do people even know what next gen should look like? I think a lot of people are in for a reality check.

Corgi1985

Banned
How can you get that from what I said lmao

Im saying RE8 has average, unimpressive graphics and there is nothing special at all about it. Im done supporting these developers that just make cookie cutter games with no evolution or risk involved.

And TLOU 2 writing is god tier in gaming. Nothing in the same stratosphere.
Yeah all the ledge grabbing and shimmying in 3rd person was really innovative. Never seen that in a ND game.

In plenty of other games, I may feel similar, but not here.
Survival horror gameplay should make you desperate, should limit your supplies, and keep you on your toes.

I don't want everything handed to me and I don't want to take my time slowly gathering all the weapons and ammo I need to defeat the enemy with relative ease.

I'm not trying to invalidate your position, but this is a survival game, so in my mind, what they are doing is brilliant.
I don’t really think it makes the game harder, just more annoying for me at least. I mean it’s not like there is much ammunition in a RE game and even if you have a stalker you will collect all of these, either by running around like crazy or visiting the same room multiple times. But I understand that you and many people like it. Perhaps it’s also not for me since I don’t want to get so stressed out after coming home from work and after enduring the stamina of my children until they are finally asleep.

I don’t understand why Capcom cannot add an option to disable it to make everyone happy or keep it for a game+ Mode.

SafeOrAlone

Banned
How many people here simply write the game off bealca
I don’t really think it makes the game harder, just more annoying for me at least. I mean it’s not like there is much ammunition in a RE game and even if you have a stalker you will collect all of these, either by running around like crazy or visiting the same room multiple times. But I understand that you and many people like it. Perhaps it’s also not for me since I don’t want to get so stressed out after coming home from work and after enduring the stamina of my children until they are finally asleep.

I don’t understand why Capcom cannot add an option to disable it to make everyone happy or keep it for a game+ Mode.
I hear you. Nothing wrong with having a preference.

Top Bottom