• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

All New Skyward Sword Info from GI + Nintendo

ThatObviousUser

ὁ αἴσχιστος παῖς εἶ
shadyspace said:
TP's combat was the best of the franchise.

It was OK.

The dungeons were by far the more standout part of the game.

SS looks to have absolutely great combat, but half of it is making taking down enemies a puzzle unto itself.

disco

I want them to bring back those little devil guys with forks that prod you and make the funny ni-ni-ni sounds from Wind Waker. They were great. I also hope your sword makes that slapping sound when you hit an enemy. Ah Wind Waker, it was such a ballet.

BY2K

Membero Americo
Here's the info from NGamer.

- Stalfos can come in groups of four.
- "The toughest Zelda yet".
- Mogmas patrol the volcanic area; they are the ones who split and bury the key to the Earth Temple.
- Fi has an icy demeanour.
- There seems to be some puzzle in which you’ll have to roll a bomb down a sandbank.
- NGamer says that the sky realm is the true overworld while Hyrule is made up of self-contained hubs.
- One dungeon has a mine cart; powered up by rainbow (???) energy.
- Hit mystical stones and color will light up the area so the cart can continue on.
- “What starts as airy school drama – the other boys can’t stand out elfin hero – evolves into a daring chase movie, with Link skydiving through the clouds to do repeat battle with a scenery-chewing demon lord”.

It seems to be translated from whatever NGamer's language is, the last one sounds a little odd.

Source: http://nintendoeverything.com/74939/

Mistle

Skyward Sword comes out literally just before my final exam, then I'm done with high school forever, and can reward myself with Zelda and all the 3DS games coming out around then also!

These next two months should go fairly quickly, considering I'm going to be pretty busy with school. It's going to be tough not playing Skyward Sword however when I know I could be playing Skyward Sword D:

Gravijah

Electivirus said:
I am a massive VGM enthusiast. I can honestly say I'm looking forward to the soundtrack more than I am the game itself, and that's saying something.

i'm a massive VGM buff myself, and it's my favorite part of gaming, and that's exactly why i'm not listening to any of the songs. i want to experience it all in game, first hand.

Caelus

discocaine said:
The sixth point is totally shit, really annoyed about that.

I don't understand why people dislike it though, I don't care if it's disconnected, I just know that the areas are going to be huge.

ThatObviousUser

ὁ αἴσχιστος παῖς εἶ
BY2K said:

Damn it, I never get anything I want.

discocaine said:

Think of it like Wind Waker, except much bigger with faster travel, and you can explore parts of the submerged Hyrule instead of just that one small one.

I'd say that's pretty damn awesome. And it's what I've been expecting for the past month, anyways.

EatChildren

Currently polling second in Australia's federal election (first in the Gold Coast), this feral may one day be your Bogan King.
discocaine said:

It's been so obvious since very early on that you'd be deluded to seriously think it was anything else.

Mistle

discocaine said:
Is this a plot/story spoiler? Or a gameplay mechanic such as "the underworld isn't connected". I'm worried about highlighting it but curiosity has gotten the better of me :S is it safe? lol

They released a soundtrack with Ocarina of time 3d if you registered it early. I'm sure Nintendo will do something with SS. It would be foolish if they didn't.

Gravijah said:
i'm a massive VGM buff myself, and it's my favorite part of gaming, and that's exactly why i'm not listening to any of the songs. i want to experience it all in game, first hand.

Ah, different strokes, then. XP

EatChildren

Currently polling second in Australia's federal election (first in the Gold Coast), this feral may one day be your Bogan King.
Mistle said:
Is this a plot/story spoiler? Or a gameplay mechanic such as "the underworld isn't connected". I'm worried about highlighting it but curiosity has gotten the better of me :S is it safe? lol

It's literally what you just said.

People who have played the game are saying traveling is much faster than that of TWW's, so at least it's not going to get in the way of me enjoying the rest of the game.

Mistle

EatChildren said:
It's literally what you just said.
Oh, haha! I guess the posters above me weren't being vague at all then lol. That's not a spoiler, but if they are discussed so freely, perhaps I should just stay out of this thread... Was my spoiler-free topic really such a no-go?

But yeah, i've been expecting that for awhile now anyway. I have no doubts that it'll still be awesome. I won't lie though, a connected underworld would have been cool, but it's no big loss.

Tuck

Lord Ghirahim said:
People who have played the game are saying traveling is much faster than that of TWW's, so at least it's not going to get in the way of me enjoying the rest of the game.

Plus, you get to fly.

Which is just so much cooler than a boat train.

EatChildren

Lord Ghirahim said:

It is faster. Much faster. People seem to think the sky realm is this big empty world of nothingness, which it isn't There's numerous floating islands, platforms and other areas to explore. It's really not much different from the ocean in Wind Waker, only with faster transportation.

Drops through the clouds to the world below are, essentially, your dungeon access points. Going through the door of a dungeon in the overworld = going through the clouds. Only what Nintendo is trying to do is blur that line, so dropping through the clouds doesn't put you immediately into a dungeon, but into a mini-hub of sorts with its own stuff to see and do.

I can totally dig disappointment that the overworld isn't a ground based explorable world like past Zelda games, but the overworld philosophy is (mostly) exactly as it has always been. And really, it's impossible to judge just how involved, detailed, robust and used the sky world is until we have the game in our hands.

ThatObviousUser

ὁ αἴσχιστος παῖς εἶ
I'm excited because this is really a first time that Zelda will have 3D overworld exploration (up and down, in addition to left/right/forward/backwards.) Should be awesome.

Caelus

This isn't like TWW, PH, or ST where the places you "drop down" to are often small and insignificant, in this game the sky overworld essentially replaces Hyrule Field and everything else is accesible as it has always been.

jett

D-Member
Tuck said:
Plus, you get to fly.

Which is just so much cooler than a boat train.

I guess people that liked Wind Waker's OW will like this one to even more. As for me I hated the ocean of WW, so I'm not really thrilled about the sky thing.

RagnarokX

jett said:
I guess people that liked Wind Waker's OW will like this one to even more. As for me I hated the ocean of WW, so I'm not really thrilled about the sky thing.
The ocean's problems were that you had to change the direction of the wind and it took too long to get somewhere. The sky doesn't have those problems.

Amir0x

Banned
The problem with the water overworld was a little underutilization (partly because of cut content, partly because they needed to have more to find period) as well as changing wind direction to change the boat's direction. With this direction change removed, plus a speed increase, I think this'll be one of the more engaging overworlds, but really it's a unique beast entirely... the way they have the underworld 'hubs' set up with little pre-dungeon puzzle areas is quite intriguing in its own right and since there are apparently tons of treasures to find below to send above, I think there's gonna be more than enough motivation to search everything here.

I still wish for a focused, entirely heavily designed overworld (which would mean, yes, smaller overworlds... which is ok, Nintendo), but this seems like a nice mixture of both preferences.

jett

D-Member
RagnarokX said:
The ocean's problems were that you had to change the direction of the wind and it took too long to get somewhere. The sky doesn't have those problems.

That problem is that it was a big empty nothing.

-NGamer says that the sky realm is the true overworld while Hyrule is made up of self-contained hubs.
I knew there had to be a catch. I actually expected this, but it's still disappointing. I'll just hope they get enough of the other stuff right to make up for it.

Akai

Caelus said:
This isn't like TWW, PH, or ST where the places you "drop down" to are often small and insignificant, in this game the sky overworld essentially replaces Hyrule Field and everything else is accesible as it has always been.

What I like is that you will have absolutely no idea where you will be dropping down to until you get there. It adds a feeling of anticipation and mystery...

ThatObviousUser

ὁ αἴσχιστος παῖς εἶ
jett said:
That problem is that it was a big empty nothing.

I must have been crazy, I liked it, made it feel like a real ocean and a real accomplishment when you found a new isle.

udivision

Akai said:
What I like is that you will have absolutely no idea where you will be dropping down to until you get there. It adds a feeling of anticipation and mystery...
It'll be a volcano, a forest, a water place, or some form of temple.
Oh, forgot to spoiler that, sorry.

Akai

udivision said:
It'll be a volcano, a forest, a water place, or some form of temple.
Oh, forgot to spoiler that, sorry.

Nice to know that every volcano, forest, water place, and temple is the same, thanks...

Lunar15

You know, I kind of like that, so far, we haven't heard any classic Zelda songs re-orchestrated in this game. I KNOW that they'll be in it, but I'd rather let those songs be surprises, and let the new songs convince me on the direction of the music.

jett

D-Member
Lunar15 said:
You know, I kind of like that, so far, we haven't heard any classic Zelda songs re-orchestrated in this game. I KNOW that they'll be in it, but I'd rather let those songs be surprises, and let the new songs convince me on the direction of the music.

The series doesn't seem to be big on re-arrangements(OOT never even had the classic overworld theme...), but we'll probably get something.

Kard8p3

I think we all expected the land below to just be big separate areas that weren't connected. If all the areas are as big as the areas in Metroid Prime 3 or bigger it'll be fine. In fact this game structurally reminds me of Prime 3 combined with Wind Waker.

Watch Da Birdie

I buy cakes for myself on my birthday it's not weird lots of people do it I bet
They totally need to incorporate the little Warp Whistle jingle (you know, the one remixed in OoT's opening) into the game as a full song. Just makes sense with all the air travel.

And the Wind God's Aria, of course.

Would also love a remix of the Link's Awakening Mini-Boss fight music for when you
supposedly fight in Link's nightmares or whatever

maeda

Lord Ghirahim said:
I hope AoL's Palace theme is in.
That would actually be insane. Or Song of Healing!!!! Now that we know that the world isn't interconnected, we can all look forward to Zelda U and its seamless overworld, with absolutely no loading screens...

udivision

Akai said:
Nice to know that every volcano, forest, water place, and temple is the same, thanks...
There's still some surprise, just don't expect to end up on Rainbow Road or in Steampunk Mechanical city place.

Watch Da Birdie

I buy cakes for myself on my birthday it's not weird lots of people do it I bet
udivision said:
There's still some surprise, just don't expect to end up on Rainbow Road or in Steampunk Mechanical city place.

There's a minecart powered by a rainbow, atleast. :p

Top Bottom