• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

What do you want to see from the new Nintendo system?

Woopah

I'll give you Arms, that's not a bad game Tbh. But spare me on Mario Maker 2
I'm not personally interested in it, but it reviewed well and is an in-house game. More in-house than Arms or Pikmin 4.

Anyway, my main point was that the list of Switch games worked on by in house studios is far far larger than what you wrote.

If the list was Nintendo games that you were purposefully interested in, then that would make sense.

Edit: To build on what Robb Robb said, we are trying to understand what you mean by "in house NCL"

Would games by EPD, MonolithSoft, ND Cube, and Next Level Games count?

How about those done in collobortion between EPD and other partners like Arms or Pikmin 4?

Last edited:
I'm not personally interested in it, but it reviewed well and is an in-house game. More in-house than Arms or Pikmin 4.

Anyway, my main point was that the list of Switch games worked on by in house studios is far far larger than what you wrote.

If the list was Nintendo games that you were purposefully interested in, then that would make sense.
I forgot about Arms that was a good and well-made game, I'll give credit to it.. But I'm not looking to count Mario Maker 2 myself, it be like me as a Xbot fan trying to count Grounded or Pentiment as big In-House XBox games. For others maybe that's fine, not for me

Deerock71

From all the bells and whistles I've heard, I'll be happy with these two:

DLSS
Backwards compatability

Knowing Nintendo, I'll probably get one.

How do you expect to have a conversation if you can’t explain yourself? I have no clue what you mean, ask for how you reason to try and understand, and you label me as Nintendo faithful, whatever that implies to you.

Show me a game where the developer is specifically stated as “Nintendo Japan”. Sounds like it should be pretty easy for you.
I'm not going to bother. EDGE magazine should never award developer of the Year to Nintendo ever again, They don't make games after all. I remember when Nintendo fans said they made the best Harwdare in the SNES days ect. but it wasn't Nintendo who made the SNES, but R&D#1.

Trying to have a debate with some of the Nintendo faithful is like pulling teeth. I'm down the pub...

Last edited:

Woopah

I forgot about Arms that was a good and well-made game, I'll give credit to it.. But I'm not looking to count Mario Maker 2 myself, it be like me as a Xbot fan trying to count Grounded or Pentiment as big In-House XBox games. For others maybe that's fine, not for me
Okay so you were talking Switch games you yourself were personally interested in, not a general list of Switch games made by Nintendo in-house.

Now it makes sense.

Last edited:

Robb

Gold Member
I'm not going to bother.
Well Done Clapping GIF by MOODMAN

Del_X

~2Tflop
DLSS docked
900p-ish for portable (720p would be fine if it can do 1080p-ish docked with DLSS)
8-10GB system memory, low OS footprint
256 and 512GB onboard storage options, at least PCIE 3.0 speeds

I'm fine with LCD if it's decent quality.

I suspect it'll be $399 but knowing Nintendo they'll probably gimp the storage, cut the price, and sell external proprietary cards. I don't think it will work with micro SDs

64bitmodels

Reverse groomer.
I suspect it'll be $399 but knowing Nintendo they'll probably gimp the storage, cut the price, and sell external proprietary cards. I don't think it will work with micro SDs
By nintendo, you mean Sony right? Nintendo systems have supported SD cards since the Wii.

Last edited:

Dacvak

No one shall be brought before our LORD David Bowie without the true and secret knowledge of the Photoshop. For in that time, so shall He appear.
Tensor cores in the SoC for DLSS 2.

That’s literally all I want.

beanoboy7

- higher storage capacity for cartridges in the end of downloading the majority of the game at home

- The ability to do 4K, 30 FPS

- Voice chat with a microphone on the system or using Bluetooth headphones

- backwards compatibility with the existing switch catalog

- PlayStation 4 pro graphical fidelity

- some sort of mechanism to bring back light gun games using the new controller

64bitmodels

Reverse groomer.
Not sure how modern games will run off SD cards
FFS look at the Steam Deck. It can run Rift apart off an SD for crying out loud.

not very well, but it runs. and games like rift apart would never come to a system like the Switch 2, anyways.

Del_X

FFS look at the Steam Deck. It can run Rift apart off an SD for crying out loud.

not very well, but it runs. and games like rift apart would never come to a system like the Switch 2, anyways.

I really don't see Nintendo just being like "yeah ok our first party titles can run like shit and have 10x longer load times."
How they address I/O will be interesting.

Fbh

I just want a more powerful Switch:
- Better visuals and performance
- If they are working with Nvidia again hopefully integrated upscaling like DLSS
- Better battery life (might be hard to do if it's also more powerful)
- Full backwards compatibility with Switch.
- A more modern OS with stronger social features like integrated voice chat and parties.
- Bonus: A non shitty pro controller.

Also hopefully NO GIMMICK.
The Switch is nice as is, it doesn't need some dumb new feature that's going to get increasingly sidelined (like the 3D on the 3DS) and is just going to drive the price up or prevent them from spending more on the actual hardware.

Last edited:

MAtgS

-BC

-Capture button to record longer than 30 seconds. 15 minutes a la PS4 would be nice but I know I shouldn't hold my breath on that.

-Achievements, because I am that kind of sad sack who gives a damn about those.

-DLSS 3.0.

-Many, many BC games getting nect-gen updates, including DLSS & Achievement support.

-The return of Activity Log.

-Using captured screenshots as home menu wallpaper.

-Joycons that don't drift (HALL effect is a thing now, Nintendo, use it)

-Games that were cloud based on Switch getting native re-releases. I do kinda dread the prospect of publishers deciding BC on cloud editions is good enough.

Last edited:

64bitmodels

Reverse groomer.
I really don't see Nintendo just being like "yeah ok our first party titles can run like shit and have 10x longer load times."
TOTK just released, dips below 30 yet got critical acclaim from everyone. Nintendo have released worse running games in the past too, like Star fox on the original SNES.

Unless there's some major shift they really don't care about the power wars, graphics, SSD loading times or framerate... Because their fans don't care about them, either.

Trogdor1123

Gold Member
I don’t play on the go so none of that is of value to me. I’d like it to be a normal box. Games should stay about the same but no motion controls please

tr1p1ex

I want to see sht I haven't thought of and hadn't expected. I want fun new games. I want continued Link's Awakening/Super Mario RPG type of remakes.

But I also don't want to wait until Switch 3 to be right about it being trojan horse VR.

Last edited:

64bitmodels

Reverse groomer.
I’ll add this one as well. Would be really nice if they could make something related to online that’s not a convoluted mess..
oAp3RbH.jpg
THAT gives me an idea.

The Switch is essentially an android tablet. Why not put a sim card slot in there and have it duplicate as a phone for messaging and calling? It'd be convenient only having to take 1 device with you, plus if you're on a data plan you can essentially play online games anywhere.

Dacvak

No one shall be brought before our LORD David Bowie without the true and secret knowledge of the Photoshop. For in that time, so shall He appear.
Here’s my guess for the SoC.

It’ll be similar to the Orin Nano kit, so we’re looking at:

~1.3-2 tflops
~625-900 MHz gpu
~1.5-2 GHz cpu
~8GB DDR5 @ 70GB/s
~32 Tensor cores

This config of Orin is the closest I could get to a 15w tdp without turning this into a custom SoC (which Nintendo totally might do).

Either way, we’re looking at roughly between a PS4 and PS4 Pro (plus the use of tensor cores for DLSS) in terms of power, which I think is probably a reasonable expectation.

Best case is that we see a graphical 1.5-2x improvement over Switch 1, plus much higher memory bandwidth. And if the tensor cores are utilized for a DLSS 2 equivalent, we’ll likely perceive an even higher graphical improvement.

Holammer

What I want to see? Hmm...
Switch compatible, using a low powered & well documented CPU.
Form factor and screen, no opinion.

mr-bean-wink.gif

IFireflyl

Gold Member
No 720p. It should be a 1080p-only system, with more power to handle better games.
Far more internal storage. I'm talking 512 GB minimum. Requiring a MicroSD for larger games is idiotic. With more power, and with 1080p being the minimum, the games are certainly going to be larger. The weak 32 GB of internal storage just isn't going to cut it.

P.S. I said 1080p-only because I don't want them to try to focus on 4k. That would just cause them to have more development work, and Nintendo isn't a platform that needs to be the power-house of next-gen tech. They need to continue to co-exist with other platforms rather than directly compete with them. That's their niche, and they perform that roll well. It would be senseless for them to try to compete directly with the other platforms when they have carved out their own slice of the market, and that slice is a pretty big slice as well.

Last edited:

IDKFA

I am Become Bilbo Baggins
3070 at LEAST dude that's like an Xbox Series X. A little unrealistic is an understatement lol.

Like daydreaming that the next Game Boy destroys Game Gear with a PC Pentium processor.

The mobile 3070 uses 125 watts of power. The Switch system uses 6.

You crazy

But it is technically possible. In which case, I like to see myself as an optimistic dreamer rather than crazy.

BlackTron

But it is technically possible. In which case, I like to see myself as an optimistic dreamer rather than crazy.

It isn't technically possible. Even a 3070 gaming laptop with a big battery will run out of juice in under an hour playing a real game. And that costs over $1000. The Asus ROG Ally starts at $700 and doesn't go near this power. For Nintendo to cram a system more powerful than the Series X into a handheld form factor with a decent battery and functioning thermals would be challenging enough. Now imagine they want to do it for under $400. There's optimism, and then there's pining for your celebrity crush...

IDKFA

It isn't technically possible. Even a 3070 gaming laptop with a big battery will run out of juice in under an hour playing a real game. And that costs over $1000. The Asus ROG Ally starts at $700 and doesn't go near this power. For Nintendo to cram a system more powerful than the Series X into a handheld form factor with a decent battery and functioning thermals would be challenging enough. Now imagine they want to do it for under $400. There's optimism, and then there's pining for your celebrity crush...

Who said it should be below £400? For that tech people would spend over £1000.

The tech is possible, but we know Nintendo won't do it. Like I said, it was a slightly unrealistic dream.

BlackTron

Who said it should be below £400? For that tech people would spend over £1000.

The tech is possible, but we know Nintendo won't do it. Like I said, it was a slightly unrealistic dream.

I mean if money is no object, sure why not. I say, 4090 at minimum

Edit: I also think if Nintendo were to somehow achieve the tech you are talking about, it would cost $2k not 1

Last edited:

Paasei

Maybe go back to just a full on console or handheld instead of both in one. Can’t really think of anything else other than the obvious bits as in even more quality and performance.

Games hardly ever drop in price, that might be a thing.

I don’t really use my Switch too much. I still like it and the games, but at the same time I somehow can’t get interested in playing them. Probably more of a me thing.

IDKFA

I mean if money is no object, sure why not. I say, 4090 at minimum

Edit: I also think if Nintendo were to somehow achieve the tech you are talking about, it would cost $2k not 1

A 4090? Loooool. That's impossible to put in a handheld. However, I admire your optimism.

Robb

Gold Member
It'd be convenient only having to take 1 device with you, plus if you're on a data plan you can essentially play online games anywhere.
I get the idea, but a phone has infinitely more utility. Given the choice I’m certain 99.9% of people would pick their phone over a ‘Switch 2’ when leaving the house. I definitely would.

daclynk

i want the DOUBLE SCREEN gameplay come back in someway. ie DS, 3DS & WiiU. i wonder what gimmick it will have. Switch was the most Advance hardware with the verities of features it could offer.

clarky

Gold Member
Has to have backwards compatibility.

Other than than just more power and keep making great games like only Nintendo does. Nobody else comes remotely close these days.

The undisputed heavyweight kings of gameplay.

Last edited:

Vox Machina

Banned
Don't really care as long as the games look good on big screen 4k TV. Something I don't think any handheld is able to do, at this point, without an eGPU.

Dual-spec generation where the lower-spec version is a handheld that docks with the stationary higher-spec unit when mobility isn't needed and uses the higher-spec units APU to render the higher-spec version of the game.

Topher

Gold Member
Dual-spec generation where the lower-spec version is a handheld that docks with the stationary higher-spec unit when mobility isn't needed and uses the higher-spec units APU to render the higher-spec version of the game.

Sounds expensive.

Vox Machina

Banned
Sounds expensive.

Only if you purchase both specs. If you wanted both (the stationary version and the handheld version) then I don't see it costing any more than a Switch+Xbox or Switch+Playstation setup that a lot of gamers use now.

Last edited:

Topher

Gold Member
Only if you purchase both specs. If you wanted both (the stationary version and the handheld version) then I don't see if costing anymore than a Switch+Xbox or Switch+Playstation setup that a lot of gamers use now.

True. I could probably go for something like that.

Vox Machina

Banned
True. I could probably go for something like that.

Honestly I see all three console providers are already moving in that direction. It's clear people want handhelds for mobility and more-affordable options for lower barrier to access (Playstation Project Q, Xbox Series S, Nintendo Switch), and the benefits are obvious; instead of splitting your library across the handheld and the stationary unit your library would be shared between both.

Top Bottom