• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Zelda II Enhanced Remake - I wish Nintendo would remaster old games like this

Power Pro

So recently, a content creator I follow started doing a playthrough of this Zelda II fan made remake on the PC of the 8 bit original, and while at first glance, it doesn't seem like anything special, it's pretty cool especially for people who want classic games with a new twist.

This Zelda 2 remake looks like just a slightly enhanced version of the NES game on the surface, but it has some cool just small touches sprinkled throughout that improve the experience. For example, 1ups increase your permanent stock of lives even after you have to continue. Things like checkpoints are also improved, which was a major failing of the original NES game. The creator of this also added some new areas, and puzzles, as well as introducing heart and magic containers throughout the world to find like many future Zelda games.

This kind of reminded me of when Nintendo did some of the 3D classics on the 3DS where they remade NES games with some modern enhancements, and it just made me think I really wish Nintendo would continue to do stuff like that for more of their classic games. No need to have every game get a huge major big budget remake, but sometimes a small scale remake that maintains the look and feel of the original, while adding some modern touches can really reignite interest in an old classic. Especially if they do some of the things this creator did, and add on to but changing aspects of the game so it all feels new again.

This is not a playthrough I watched, but here's one of the remake just to get a taste of what it looks like, as well as a link to download the game itself.

StreetsofBeige

Gold Member
Might be in the minority, but back then when I played Zelda 1 and 2, I thought 2 was 10x better. And a much harder game to boot. Of course watching speedruns makes it look easy as guys plow through the game avoiding and jumping away from enemies, but when you're young and playing a game a traditional way like killing as many baddies you can it was much more challenging than Zelda 1.

Might be in the minority, but back then when I played Zelda 1 and 2, I thought 2 was 10x better. And a much harder game to boot. Of course watching speedruns makes it look easy as guys plow through the game avoiding and jumping away from enemies, but when you're young and playing a game a traditional way like killing as many baddies you can it was much more challenging than Zelda 1.
Zelda 2 is essentially Simon’s Quest but done correctly.

Sojiro

You are not the only one, I have always liked Zelda II more than the first.

Beer Baelly

Al Pachinko, Konami President
spin sword GIF by South Park

Sojiro

Mike Matei has some wildly entertaining Zelda II streams. Those streams made me see the brilliance in the game. Someday I'd like to try and tackle it.
Yeah he has played a fuck ton of rom hacks of the game. A good number of them that are pretty good too, there definitely are a lot of options to dig into after playing through the vanilla game a few times. On another note I enjoy Mike's streams, he reminds me of myself and definitely doesn't give a shit lol.

Last edited:

RoboEight

Wow this looks incredible I definitely need to check this out. This is what a good enhanced version should look like.

Top Bottom