• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

All New Skyward Sword Info from GI + Nintendo

RagnarokX

Amir0x said:
yeah no way I'm touching an Community OT where the logical direction is to reward discussion with fucked up time line adherents who think the Zelda storyline/timeline is in any way not just some made-up-on-the-spot-and-changed-at-will garbled mess of contradictory events rather than just the same Zelda/Link legend retold over and over through the voices of generations. Imo, only a few Zelda games are really connected in any meaningful fashion and even they are connected poorly generally. Only Wind Waker and Ocarina of Time have a good solid time line click, and Twilight Princess does its best but faulters all over the place.

The OFFICIAL Skyward Sword topic, on the other hand, ess mine. Got a lot of data in place already and we have a special guest making the banner.
I think people that try to put every Zelda game in the timeline are crazy, but I think people that deny that there is a timeline are crazier. SS, OoT, MM, WW, PH, ST, and TP are the only games that have a definite place on a timeline. TP is the only game included that is a bit vague on some details (mostly concerning what happened between OoT and Ganon getting arrested) but it's placement after OoT is pretty blatant. Just because the Escher chickens were dumb doesn't nullify everything else.

Amir0x said:
yeah no way I'm touching an Community OT where the logical direction is to reward discussion with fucked up time line adherents who think the Zelda storyline/timeline is in any way not just some made-up-on-the-spot-and-changed-at-will garbled mess of contradictory events rather than just the same Zelda/Link legend retold over and over through the voices of generations. Imo, only a few Zelda games are really connected in any meaningful fashion and even they are connected poorly generally. Only Wind Waker and Ocarina of Time have a good solid time line click, and Twilight Princess does its best but faulters all over the place.

The OFFICIAL Skyward Sword topic, on the other hand, ess mine. Got a lot of data in place already and we have a special guest making the banner.
Yeah of course the timeline is a mess. I'm sure there is a document or something Aonuma has in his head which is the proper Zelda timeline but the timeline won't stop him from making decisions such as placement of important areas, gameplay elements or storyline elements. If Nintendo wanted to make an OoT sequel that contradicts the events of MM and TP the timeline wouldn't stop him much. I do think however there is a very rough timeline that does work but requires ignoring minor details. For example TP was said to occur not long after OoT but somehow the Temple of Time moved all the way over into the middle of the lost woods.

The only official thing we have is
OoT-MM-TP(-ALttP-Zelda Zelda 2)
OoT-TWW-PH-ST

The in parenthesis was stated for a while after OoT had released but they've probably put tons of changes so who knows if that is still the same. As you said the TWW side of the timeline is the only one that is really meaningful to the story anyway.

ASIS

RagnarokX said:
I think people that try to put every Zelda game in the timeline are crazy, but I think people that deny that there is a timeline are crazier. SS, OoT, MM, WW, PH, ST, and TP are the only games that have a definite place on a timeline.
Yes, that's also what I think.

None of the 2D ones make sense in any timeline, none of them.

Amir0x

Banned
BY2K said:
I've got no idea how to do the OT... :( Not really in the mood.

be silly with it and make a cool picture with squiggly lines all over it proposing your idea for how the Zelda timeline works

StevieP

Banned
Amir0x said:
be silly with it and make a cool picture with squiggly lines all over it proposing your idea for how the Zelda timeline works
ZeldaTimeline2010b.jpg

MisterHero

Zelda I and II are connected, and Zelda II is also connected to another time where (another Zelda?) was placed under the spell, though their placement is vague, to the point that it doesn't actually dispute the theory.

LttP refers to the time when Ganondorf first appeared and OoT supposedly took place, though oddly enough its own placement is vague (does the Master Sword really rest FOREVER?)

but like any company with a popular story, they are open to adding/subtracting/changing narrative (or gives another company like Capcom the chance to mess with it :p)

and there are dumb questions too (why did OoT Link have to wait 7 years to weild the Master Sword and WW Link get to use it when he was around 10?)

I hope the point of the thread is to understand the structure of the series and have fun, not get bent out of shape over certain details. :p

Nirolak

Mrgrgr
BY2K said:
I wanted my OT to be more informative than silly or funny, to be honest.
You can feel free to make it however you like, whether it be a quick post with a banner and some rules, or some kind of series retrospective, or anything else you please.

RagnarokX

MisterHero said:
Zelda I and II are connected, and Zelda II is also connected to another time where (another Zelda?) was placed under the spell, though their placement is vague, to the point that it doesn't actually dispute the theory.

LttP refers to the time when Ganondorf first appeared and OoT supposedly took place, though oddly enough its own placement is vague (does the Master Sword really rest FOREVER?)

but like any company with a popular story, they are open to adding/subtracting/changing narrative (or gives another company like Capcom the chance to mess with it :p)

and there are dumb questions too (why did OoT Link have to wait 7 years to weild the Master Sword and WW Link get to use it when he was around 10?)

I hope the point of the thread is to understand the structure of the series and have fun, not get bent out of shape over certain details. :p
Apparently OoT started development with the intention of being the backstory to ALttP, but even without the games that came after it OoT doesn't resemble that backstory at all. The games after that complicated that connection even more to the point that it's best to just accept that ALttP doesn't fit. Zelda 2 gives the backstory with the sleeping Zelda and Nintendo abandoned that immediately. FSA was started with the intention of being a prequel to ALttP, but the references to ALttP were removed before release. All of the FS games don't mesh well with the main series.

The only official timeline that can be worked out from the games themselves is:

SS -> OoT -> WW -> PH -> ST
..........\MM -> TP

you can make connections between MC, FS, FSA, ALttP, Z1, Z2, and LA, but they really don't connect to the 3D game timeline and the exact order of those is disputed and not as important. Trying to do that is the only source of dispute since the 3D game timeline is objectively defined by the games themselves.

ExMachina

Unconfirmed Member
Cool, so this Community OT's happening. I can contribute some art/Photochopping, if PounchEnvy doesn't mind my muscling in on his turf. :p

BY2K said:
Time to work.

Be assured, though, it won't be done tonight.
Excellent, looking forward to it. Be sure to include links to cool related topics in Gaming-side, like the Zelda Art Thread (can you tell I like that topic? heh).

jett

D-Member
Nintendo-4Life said:
zelda_skyward_sword_volcano_06.jpg

I don't think there will ever be a time when you will get stuck because of combat difficulty. But I think the game will still provide a good challenge.

spin attack, done.

EatChildren

Currently polling second in Australia's federal election (first in the Gold Coast), this feral may one day be your Bogan King.
BY2K said:
Sounds like Nintendo approached pretty much anybody they could get to talk about the game.

The latest wave of press events. Game Informer likely got dibs on the early preview (as they often do). Don't be surprised if we see a lot more stuff coming out of everyone, all from the same group of demos.

Kard8p3

EatChildren said:
The latest wave of press events. Game Informer likely got dibs on the early preview (as they often do). Don't be surprised if we see a lot more stuff coming out of everyone, all from the same group of demos.

That's what it seems like so far with different places putting more focus on different parts.

EatChildren said:

I hate to go off topic on this but seeing the quality of Nintendo games on the Wii really depresses me the wasted opportunity that 3rd party's wasted. I have been as an anti motion controlled as anybody and until recently was going to avoid SS but I am just so psyched for the game now.

ASIS

ClovingSteam said:
I hate to go off topic on this but seeing the quality of Nintendo games on the Wii really depresses me the wasted opportunity that 3rd party's wasted. I have been as an anti motion controlled as anybody and until recently was going to avoid SS but I am just so psyched for the game now.
Motion controls work. Full stop. It's in the developer's hands to see how it can enhance the gameplay. Unfortunately, not many people took advantage of that.

Doesn't mean you have to like them, not at all, but it has to be acknowledged that motion controls are indeed a convenient alternative to any other control scheme we have today.

MisterHero

RagnarokX said:
Apparently OoT started development with the intention of being the backstory to ALttP, but even without the games that came after it OoT doesn't resemble that backstory at all. The games after that complicated that connection even more to the point that it's best to just accept that ALttP doesn't fit. Zelda 2 gives the backstory with the sleeping Zelda and Nintendo abandoned that immediately. FSA was started with the intention of being a prequel to ALttP, but the references to ALttP were removed before release. All of the FS games don't mesh well with the main series.

The only official timeline that can be worked out from the games themselves is:

SS -> OoT -> WW -> PH -> ST
..........\MM -> TP

you can make connections between MC, FS, FSA, ALttP, Z1, Z2, and LA, but they really don't connect to the 3D game timeline and the exact order of those is disputed and not as important. Trying to do that is the only source of dispute since the 3D game timeline is objectively defined by the games themselves.
I said their placement was dubious as I'm not trying to place them (and they don't have enough details to say where they place anyways). The only certain thing is that LttP takes place after OoT, whether or not OoT was the Imprisoning War.

I'm not aware of the LttP contradictions, so you might have to tell them to me (either here or by waiting for the new thread). The game (and the manual, where I'm taking this from) describes the Goddesses creating Hyrule, and the thief from the desert that coveted it (and where Ganondorf Dragmire is first named, completely), and the Imprisoning War (which may or may not have been the war that took place in the 7-year-gap of OoT). And the GBA port was supposedly "retconned" to "clarify" the connection, even if some people disagreed.

But I definitely agree in general. I think it's more fun to speculated than go crazy over the differences. (another fun dumb question: why are the Gerudos all male in LttP?)

I think SS would challenge the lore of the series as well, mostly because of the people coming from the sky.

Even the creators are trying to move away from maintaining strict continuity [the quote about how OoT was so important that fans expected more connections], while making space for more stories that weren't told. I'm okay with that. Really. :p

Kard8p3

BurntPork said:
:/

It'll never get harder than TP ever again, will it? Another game where you can go through an entire dungeon without getting damaged once...

I'd argue that with the exception of the NES games none of the regular enemies in a Zelda game have been challenging. I don't really play zelda for enemy difficulty anyway.

BurntPork said:

It'll never get harder than TP ever again, will it? Another game where you can go through an entire dungeon without getting damaged once...
Forgive me if this sounds rude, but why oh why do you always assume so much from very little?

ASIS

BurntPork said:

I really don't give a damn about that, I want difficulty in two sections:

A) Boss fights

B) Puzzles

The generic enemies can stay weak for all I care.

Easy_D

never left the stone age
Kard8p3 said:
I'd argue that with the exception of the NES games none of the regular enemies in a Zelda game have been challenging. I don't really play zelda for enemy difficulty anyway.
Those jumping plant/tentacle things in alttp take like 4 hearts if they hit you

udivision

BurntPork said:

I'm not saying Ninendo needs to make Zelda their hardest franchise, but seriously, they need to take advantage of Zelda's combat system.

It now takes some strategy to beat enemies? Great.
Now let's see the enemies actually fight you competently.

RagnarokX

MisterHero said:
I said their placement was dubious as I'm not trying to place them (and they don't have enough details to say where they place anyways). The only certain thing is that LttP takes place after OoT, whether or not OoT was the Imprisoning War.

I'm not aware of the LttP contradictions, so you might have to tell them to me (either here or by waiting for the new thread). The game (and the manual, where I'm taking this from) describes the Goddesses creating Hyrule, and the thief from the desert that coveted it (and where Ganondorf Dragmire is first named, completely), and the Imprisoning War (which may or may not have been the war that took place in the 7-year-gap of OoT). And the GBA port was supposedly "retconned" to "clarify" the connection, even if some people disagreed.

But I definitely agree in general. I think it's more fun to speculated than go crazy over the differences. (another fun dumb question: why are the Gerudos all male in LttP?)

I think SS would challenge the lore of the series as well, mostly because of the people coming from the sky.

Even the creators are trying to move away from maintaining strict continuity [the quote about how OoT was so important that fans expected more connections], while making space for more stories that weren't told. I'm okay with that. Really. :p
If anything it seems like they're moving towards more strict continuity. The old games were only vaguely connected, but ever since OoT the games have had more well-defined connections.

They did try to retcon ALttP on the GBA to make it fit with OoT, but for the connection to work, Ganon can't leave the sacred realm between OoT and ALttP, but he does in both timelines. TP doesn't even mention the sacred realm and Ganon never sought the triforce in that timeline. SS is throwing another huge wrench in the works with this whole origin of the master sword story.

Also, if you go by the manual of ALttP it makes even less sense, because it says they couldn't find anybody to wield the master sword and the knights only bought time so the sages could seal the sacred realm off.

Nintendo-4Life said:

A) Boss fights

B) Puzzles

this, heck i've never played zelda for the difficultly.But if I did it certainly wouldn't be for the difficulty of mooks.

RagnarokX

Caelus said:
zelda_skyward_sword_volcano_07.jpg

Oh, two of them do survive though.
Actually, two of them take no damage, two others took damage but didn't get knocked back, and three got knocked back. Link's still got 4 bokoblins ready to attack him.

mdtauk

udivision said:
I've never played Zelda for the motion controls...
Yea, I know it's not analogous but still.
Well this is the first Zelda game designed for motion controls, so you haven't had the opportunity before :)

wrowa

BY2K said:
I wanted my OT to be more informative than silly or funny, to be honest.
Please don't make it a timeline-centric thread. It's best to not even mention the time-line in the first post.

udivision said:
I've never played Zelda for the motion controls...
Yea, I know it's not analogous but still.

Yea it kinda is perfectly analogous to what I was trying to say, thank you. I've never noticed the lack of difficultly in Zelda, I just enjoy/play it for other things. Just like how I never noticed the lack of motion controls. If Nintendo decides to change the difficulty much like they added motion controls then fine by me, whatever they do would probably turn out fine. But at this moment I'm not complaining and I really don't mind either way.

Jaded Alyx said:
Forgive me if this sounds rude, but why oh why do you always assume so much from very little?

Because Burntpork lives off of negativity, and is mentally insane. It's best to just leave the strange ramblings alone and move on.

udivision

If Darknuts, Moblins in WW, or Lizalfos had never been in 3D Zelda's, I probably wouldn't have noticed that Zelda's combat system wasn't living up to it's potential. Fighting those guys is so fun. That part in Wind Waker when 20 of them become reanimated... man.

Nintendo-4Life said:

A) Boss fights

B) Puzzles

Exactly. I want the difficulty to come from the puzzles, not from every random enemy being a bitch. If I want that I play Demon Souls.

Kard8p3 said:

Zelda 2 says hi. Why does everyone ignore this game? This game is also different and changed up the Zelda formula.

Top Bottom