• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

2021 NFL Draft: Return of Draft War Rooms and Large Gatherings

greyshark

greyshark greyshark what do you think about the Fields pick? I think he should pan out to be legit

It's hard not to root for Tebow, he just seems like a genuinely good dude

The Bears are going to be praised for the move, but I have concerns. His scouting report reads similarly to Trubisky’s coming out of college.

He’s a super athletic guy that has the arm to make all the throws, but can panic under pressure and has shown a tendency to get rattled. He also can struggle with read progressions. That sounds exactly like the QB we just dropped. He had way more success in college than Mitch so we’ll see how he translates, but I’m worried we’ll see more of the same next year.

Our management is going to have no patience with developing him since their jobs are on the line, and the team still has a lot of holes to fill. This isn’t the best situation for a QB like Fields IMO.

They gave up a lot to get him, and if the team is terrible they’re going to get rid of the coach/GM and may have to start rebuilding after 2021. There’s a lot going against this, but as a fan of a team that’s never had a great QB all I can do is hope it works out.

Last edited:
Kyle Pitts is a beast; a generational talent.

Now, if it were a punter in that position..
Did you watch him play last season. He is incredible and can line up as TE or Receiver. He has incredible hands and is tall and long and adjusts to the ball. He was a joy to watch at UF.

I know, but still it's a TE and many thought he could fall to 10
Being the first non QB being draftet is always very special. And that's even more special than highest TE in history.

Also I'm still sad the Cowboys could not get either Pitts, Sewell, Horn or Sustain with 3 QBs going 1-3

bucyou

Draft pick
Analysis: Power is an undervalued pass rush commodity, and Tryon brings plenty of it. He has the strength, size and physical nature to play with his hand on the ground, as well, which means he can spell older Buccaneers Ndamukong Suh and William Gholston in sub packages. Tampa Bay really needed youth on the defensive line, and with Greg Rousseau off the board, Tryon or Carlos Basham were the top guys available. Tryon can rush the passer from a stand-up position, as well, so that versatility gave him the edge over Basham.

the repeat is still on schedule

greyshark

Yep, looking at the first round now why in the hell did Pace give up so much? He shouldn’t have needed to give up a first rounder next year to get that pick, or just the first rounder and no 4th and 5th. He seriously has no negotiating skills!

This is based on absolutely nothing, but I wonder if Pace put a similar package together for Detroit or Carolina. Giving up that much to get to 7 or 8 isn’t as egregious, and he used that as the starting point for negotiations with the Giants.

NickFire

I would love to know what was said in the 49ers war room when Pats got Jones. Entirely possible they did not bat an eye and really want to keep Jimmy around another season or two. But also entirely possible they expected to get some significant value from the Pats either in the draft or soon after for him.

So happy to see the Pats and Bears get QBs but god damn these things are so fucking cringe to watch.

Goodell bringing out his $20k chair to have the peasants sit on it for no reason while players were being drafted.

Mel Kiper and Booger's absolutely useless commentary. These dudes belong in a fucking trashcan. Find me one sentence of actual analysis coming out of their mouth. I'll wait.

And the biggest cuck of them all was out there too, Adam Schefter. This was the dude that honestly believed the Browns were going to interview Condoleezza Rice for the head coach position and doubled down on it in an embarrassing interview after he clearly got fucking goofed by some members of the Browns staff. This was the unethical shitbag that also leaked medical documents of a player's finger amputation to twitter. Just a sleazy "journalist" that is constantly talking down to his audience and putting out the dumbest fucking tweets and articles.

Glad the Bills didn’t go for a running back. As nice as it would be to have Harris or Etienne they desperately need some D line help.

Not sure if Rousseau will pan out but I sure hope so.

Men_in_Boxes

Snake Oil Salesman
Glad the Bills didn’t go for a running back. As nice as it would be to have Harris or Etienne they desperately need some D line help.

Not sure if Rousseau will pan out but I sure hope so.

Seems like Bills fans hate the pick.

It sounds like he's going to be a project for his first 2 or 3 years in the league. If he pans out, he'll have 2-3 productive years and then we'll have to pay him.

If our window is open, there seems to have been a lot of guys on the board we could have plugged in right away to fill a need.

On the other hand the Patriots have a history of whiffing on their high draft picks over the last 20 years and they seem to have done alright.

Last edited:
Seems like Bills fans hate the pick.

It sounds like he's going to be a project for his first 2 or 3 years in the league. If he pans out, he'll have 2-3 productive years and then we'll have to pay him.

If our window is open, there seems to have been a lot of guys on the board we could have plugged in right away to fill a need.

On the other hand the Patriots have a history of whiffing on their high draft picks over the last 20 years and they seem to have done alright.

I think the Bills run will be next season. I dunno, they were jammed at the 30th pick there.

On top of that, I think he's engaged to an actress, and the 49ers are a season removed from a superbowl appearance. I could definitely see him going there and being happy. And he'd be a great short term pick up for the 49ers as long as he stayed healthy. But the rumored offer in the tweet a bit above just seems like way to much. The 49ers traded a lot for that pick, and Rodgers turns 38 this year. TB12 is the greatest QB in history, but his age defiance is so far removed from even the typical world class athlete, that I just cannot fathom a deal that essentially would mean the 49ers gave up 3 firsts and more for a QB who everyone would think was on his way out had it not been for Brady's historic run for a 40+ year old.

Rogers to the 49ers with a defense that is healthy and salivating for a revenge tour?

IMBA.

I was initially disappointed by the 49ers pick, but after further thinking, Trey Lance is the kind of QB who has been en vogue the past few years.

I trust Shanahan and Lynch.

EverydayBeast

thinks Halo Infinite is a new graphical benchmark
Browns new pick will fit right in, looking forward to the new season, looking forward to the new changes in the league.

Termite

I really feel like the NFL needs to adjust the rookie salary cap for QBs.

At the moment it's totally dominating the NFL "meta". If you don't have an elite QB, just keep picking a new one in the 1st every year or two until you get one, then try to ride that 5 year rookie contract window to build a good team with mid-range free agents.

I know that we went through a strange 8 year period where it seemed like NO rookie QBs made the grade and most QBs were over 30, but now we're in this strange rookie churn where it feels like half the teams are gonna be piloted by someone 24 years old or younger.

Bump up the rookie QB salary slot and make teams think twice about picking QBs all the time.

EDIT: Presumably starting QBs 24 or younger next year. 14 out of 32. Basically half the league.
Josh Allen
21/05/1996​
Drew Lock
10/11/1996​
Joe Burrow
10/12/1996​
Lamar Jackson
07/01/1997​
Daniel Jones
27/05/1997​
Sam Darnold
05/06/1997​
Kyler Murray
07/08/1997​
Tua Tagovailoa
02/03/1998​
Justin Herbert
10/03/1998​
Mac Jones
05/09/1998​
Justin Fields
05/03/1999​
Zach Wilson
03/08/1999​
Trevor Lawrence
06/08/1999​
Trey Lance
09/05/2000​

Last edited:

RiccochetJ

Gold Member
Definitely interested in seeing what happens tonight! I actually tend to find the second and third rounds more interesting than the first.

greyshark

Bears traded up to get Teven Jenkins. Good pick, gave up a 3rd rounder (and swapped a 6 for a 5) to do it. Not bad, fills a key need with a 1st round talent.

20. Chicago Bears - Swap with Giants - Kadarius Toney WR
richard-sherman-gif.gif

Mel Kiper and Booger's absolutely useless commentary. These dudes belong in a fucking trashcan. Find me one sentence of actual analysis coming out of their mouth.
Who in the hell is Mel Kiper anyway? I'll tell you who, the guy who sold the house for Money Manziel!

sddefault.jpg

greyshark

Now that the draft is over, how did everybody think their teams did? As a desperate Bears fan I’m happy we have hope again. I voiced my concerns earlier but screw it, I’m jumping on the Fields hype train.

Now that the draft is over, how did everybody think their teams did? As a desperate Bears fan I’m happy we have hope again. I voiced my concerns earlier but screw it, I’m jumping on the Fields hype train.
He’s the only option you have available, unless of course you’re a believer in Andy Dalton.

Dural

Pleasantly surprised, we got our franchise QB (fingers crossed) and a right tackle that we can plug in right away. We also got some depth on the line with a project OT, a CB, and a RB? The RB I was surprised by as we don't really have a need there, but it sounds like he was likely the best available player at the pick and they thought there was some value there. The DT they took with their last pick I like, another big body in the middle is something they can use.

greyshark

Pleasantly surprised, we got our franchise QB (fingers crossed) and a right tackle that we can plug in right away. We also got some depth on the line with a project OT, a CB, and a RB? The RB I was surprised by as we don't really have a need there, but it sounds like he was likely the best available player at the pick and they thought there was some value there. The DT they took with their last pick I like, another big body in the middle is something they can use.

The organization is claiming they’re planning to have Dalton start all year - I don’t believe it for a second. I bet Fields is starting before Week 8.

RiccochetJ

Gold Member
I think the Broncos made the right choice passing on Fields. I hope that George Payton was right. Patrick Surtain II looks to be the real deal and he will definitely be able to learn behind some good players that we brought on during FA this offseason. The running back they drafted in the second round looks to address all the things that Phillip Lindsay wasn't physically capable of doing, and the O-lineman we got in the late third round seems to be absolutely hilarious. I'm definitely seeing what he can do during OTAs and preseason. The late rounds it looks like and they said that they explicitly drafted for special teams which they were godawful at the past 2 years.

I want to think that Lock will turn a corner and has grown up over the offseason, but the nice thing is that it appears that both Rodgers and Watson have Denver on their list of places they would like to land. Of course Watson is a massive question mark right now considering his legal troubles.

All in all, I was happy and I have hope. But of course it may turn out that I will be extremely annoyed by the 4th game and will basically hate-watch for the rest of the season.

greyshark

I think the Broncos made the right choice passing on Fields. I hope that George Payton was right. Patrick Surtain II looks to be the real deal and he will definitely be able to learn behind some good players that we brought on during FA this offseason. The running back they drafted in the second round looks to address all the things that Phillip Lindsay wasn't physically capable of doing, and the O-lineman we got in the late third round seems to be absolutely hilarious. I'm definitely seeing what he can do during OTAs and preseason. The late rounds it looks like and they said that they explicitly drafted for special teams which they were godawful at the past 2 years.

I want to think that Lock will turn a corner and has grown up over the offseason, but the nice thing is that it appears that both Rodgers and Watson have Denver on their list of places they would like to land. Of course Watson is a massive question mark right now considering his legal troubles.

All in all, I was happy and I have hope. But of course it may turn out that I will be extremely annoyed by the 4th game and will basically hate-watch for the rest of the season.

Clearly the Broncos passed on Fields because they knew Rodgers was coming their way this year :)

and the sonic cycle repeats.

hope fields works out for you guys. I truly do. QBs are such an important and integral role in a team that it's just unfun to watch a team suffer with garbage.

In my perfect world every team would have a respectable and solid qb, so that the rest of the team could carry on and showcase their talents, rather than be limited by their QB

Dural

The organization is claiming they’re planning to have Dalton start all year - I don’t believe it for a second. I bet Fields is starting before Week 8.

They said the same thing about Trubisky and he was in by, what, week 4? If he looks great at training camp and in the pre-season I could see him starting day 1.

edit-Take a look at this SI article about the Fields pick, some good insights. Looks like Nagy had his eye on him for awhile now.

Last edited:

greyshark

They said the same thing about Trubisky and he was in by, what, week 4? If he looks great at training camp and in the pre-season I could see him starting day 1.

edit-Take a look at this SI article about the Fields pick, some good insights. Looks like Nagy had his eye on him for awhile now.

Nice article, thanks for the link.

greyshark

Bears releasing LT Charles Leno. Big surprise as they have no one on the roster with NFL experience playing OT. Jenkins will likely play LT, I wonder who will play on the right side now.

Dural

I saw that, either they think they're going to pick someone up in free agency or they think one of the backups will be good enough to start. Looks like they've signed several undrafted free agent linemen too.

I'm hearing positive things about Kadarius Toney and it's a surprise because I didn't watch him play. Seems to many to be one of the best receivers in the entire class so I'm pleased the Giants pulled this one off.

Top Bottom