• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

2020 NFL Draft: Zoom Meeting Edition

Moogle11

Banned
I thought the Raiders were decent in the secondary? I guess they didn't think so!

No we definitely need help there. The deal to sign Eli Apple fell through and we didn’t re-sign Karl Joesph at safety (though we have Abrams coming back from injury). WR and CB were the two biggest needs coming in. Just not sure Arnette is the answer at 19.

At least they didn’t take Jordan Love at least!

Hinedorf

Banned
No we definitely need help there. The deal to sign Eli Apple fell through and we didn’t re-sign Karl Joesph at safety (though we have Abrams coming back from injury). WR and CB were the two biggest needs coming in. Just not sure Arnette is the answer at 19.

At least they didn’t take Jordan Love at least!

Dunno Jordan Love could be really fun on the Raiders, you think Carr is the answer?

SpartanN92

Banned
RBJHsJS.jpg

Moogle11

Banned
Dunno Jordan Love could be really fun on the Raiders, you think Carr is the answer?

Carr is good enough time win with the right weapons. He had limited options last year with the AB debacle and injuries that had Williams and Renfrow missing games and still completed over 70% of passes, over 4,000 yards and a good TD to INT ratio.

Next season will be his first time with the same OC and system for three years and he now has Ruggs and hopefully Williams and Renfrow stay healthy. We also signed Marcus Mariota and can see what he can do if Carr struggles or gets hurt. If they both fail they can be dropped with little cap hit in 2021 and we do a go after a free agent or draft someone next year. Love is too much of a project/risk for a first round pic.

Hinedorf

Banned
Carr is good enough time win with the right weapons. He had limited options last year with the AB debacle and injuries that had Williams and Renfrow missing games and still completed over 70% of passes, over 4,000 yards and a good TD to INT ratio.

Next season will be his first time with the same OC and system for three years and he now has Ruggs and hopefully Williams and Renfrow stay healthy. We also signed Marcus Mariota and can see what he can do if Carr struggles or gets hurt. If they both fail they can be dropped with little cap hit in 2021 and we do a go after a free agent or draft someone next year. Love is too much of a project/risk for a first round pic.

I thought that 100% Carr was a better QB than Dak. So I dunno if it was injury or what that made Cooper seem so useless with Carr. To me he looks gunshy and that means he's broken for good. Would love to see Mariota get a second chance to flourish.

Moogle11

Banned
I thought that 100% Carr was a better QB than Dak. So I dunno if it was injury or what that made Cooper seem so useless with Carr. To me he looks gunshy and that means he's broken for good. Would love to see Mariota get a second chance to flourish.

They had a good year together in 2016 before Carr went down late. But you're right that Carr was timid after the injuries and while Cooper was still there. I think Carr got over that last year) took some big hits, ran for extra yards and took hits etc.) and I think part of it was Cooper kind of checked out after Carr got the big extension and they were playing hardball with him in negotiations.

And Love just went to the Packers as a potential successor to Rodgers. Wonder if Rodgers will want a trade since they picked his successor instead of more weapons for him.

RiccochetJ

Gold Member
Think the only big surprise in the first round was Jordan Love to GB. Will definitely give something for ESPN to talk about ad nauseam for the next 4 months.

Pretty happy with the Jeudy pick for the Broncos. They didn't even have to trade up! I'm interested in seeing what they do in the second and third rounds tomorrow. I still think they have a big need on the Oline and in the secondary.

So after drafting who I consider to be the best WR in the draft in R1, I think Broncos need to ether go o-line/Cornerback today or o-line/linebacker

Couple good offensive tackles remaining, or we could get one of the best centers in the with our 14th pick in second round

I’m a little surprised by Miami’s moves. They make moves to draft two more times after the Tua pick (which I like a lot) but the two guys they drafted agree were both second round guys Miami decided to reach for

Moogle11

Banned
Think the only big surprise in the first round was Jordan Love to GB. Will definitely give something for ESPN to talk about ad nauseam for the next 4 months.

I doubt there will be that much to talk about. He's a project QB and will learn behind Rodgers for a few years until he's done. I don't see Rodgers making a stink about it or anything. I'm sure he may be a bit miffed that they traded up and gave away a pick rather than drafting more players to help him try and win another Super Bowl immediately, but that's it.

So with 4 picks today here is how I hope it pans out for Denver, in order

O-line = preferably Cushenberry from LSU who would be our starting center from day one

CB - best available

ILB - best available

WR - someone with raw speed that can play on outside and special teams

Moogle11

Banned
My guess for the Raiders three third round picks (not in order): RB to back up Jacobs, another WR, LB.

I feel better about the Arnette pick after reading Mayock's comments about it.

https://www.espn.com/nfl/story/_/id/29090553/wr-needy-raiders-draft-bama-henry-ruggs-12th-overall

"The reason he's not a reach is because of his grade in our system," Mayock said. "Did I think we could have moved down, maybe, and still got him? Maybe, but we didn't want to lose him.

"What distinguishes him is, No. 1, he can run. No. 2, he's tough as nails and when you talk about competitors, he played most of the season with a cast on his arm. He can play inside, he can play outside, he can play left, he can play right. We feel like this is one of the most competitive football players in the entire draft. So, to answer your question, we don't feel, at all, like it was a reach."

"We probably could have moved down if we wanted to at 19, but again, we hung in there and we took the guy we wanted to take. So, we did not initiate any trade calls tonight, but we did get several calls."

Sounds like they just didn't get any good offers to move down and felt like he was a great fit for our system and we definitely needed a corner.

Last edited:
My guess for the Raiders three third round picks (not in order): RB to back up Jacobs, another WR, LB.

I feel better about the Arnette pick after reading Mayock's comments about it.

https://www.espn.com/nfl/story/_/id/29090553/wr-needy-raiders-draft-bama-henry-ruggs-12th-overall

Sounds like they just didn't get any good offers to move down and felt like he was a great fit for our system and we definitely needed a corner.

I love the Ruggs pick, I feel like they reached on Arnette. Trevon Diggs is a better CB imo and still available.

I felt Oakland reached on that Clemson DE (cant remember his name) last year too.

just imo

Not bad players, don’t get me wrong, just interesting value propositions

Moogle11

Banned
I love the Ruggs pick, I feel like they reached on Arnette. Trevon Diggs is a better CB imo and still available.

I felt Oakland reached on that Clemson DE (cant remember his name) last year too.

just imo

Not bad players, don’t get me wrong, just interesting value propositions

Yeah, Ferrell (the DE) is a solid player that improved a lot over the year, but was a big reach at 4. They could easily have traded down from that high of a pick I'd think if they wanted him instead of Allen.

I felt the same on Arnette, but reading Mayock's comments it sounds like they just think he's a better fit for their system than Diggs and they didn't get offers they liked to trade down (though he also said they didn't reach out themselves which bugs me a bit).

Moogle11

Banned
In total it’s interesting to see what Oakland did with all the picks from the Mack trade, which officially wrapped up last night with Arnette

Yep. Josh Jacobs is a beat. I hope Arnette pans out too. Sucks the Bears got it turned around a little after a bad start last year as it was looking like it was going to be a much higher pick than 19 for a while!

As far as Green Bay trading up for Jordan Love, I watched clips of the kid this morning and I just don’t see it. He’s just like Herbert. He’s athletic and has a strong arm, guys like this bust all the time in the NFL. I don’t see anything special. I don’t see the poise or next level decision making required in NFL.

Was anyone dying to draft this guy before Green Bay needed do trade Back into R1?

I have seen Rodgers decline a little bit but he’s still good, I know having the next QB ready to go right away is valuable but the whole move by GB just seems odd to me

pretty scathing article

Last edited:

diffusionx

Gold Member
It's a weird pick for sure.

The media made a big narrative last year of how the new Packers brass and HC were trying to make Rodgers happy, while maybe it was hanging out there all along that it was a 2 way street - they were sick of trying to accommodate him and his bad attitude. While the Packers had a good season, it was obvious that Rodgers wasn't totally happy with LaFleur's scheme and for big chunks of the season it looked like he was just doing the same shit he did under McCarthy.

That's not to say the Packers are going to cut him or anything, but maybe this is a signal to him and they're trying to send a message.

Last edited:
maybe this is a signal to him or they're trying to send a message.

To me it’s saying, at the ever least, you’re not in our plans two years from now.

I think his contract is thru 2024, I’m not sure how much is guaranteed in those final years or not.

Just judging from afar, it does seem like his attitude has soured over the last 3 years

Last edited:
One of our local radio guys here in Denver just summed it up perfectly when taking about our division rivals’ picks.

“Justin Herbert just doesn’t strike fear in me.”

I totally agree. I just don’t think he’s special. You want your first round pick to sparkle on tape.

Burrow and Tua are special. Wirfs and Wills are special tackles. Young and Brown are special d-line. Ruggs, Jeudy, and Lamb are special WRs.

I think the Chiefs got a hell of a player with the final pick. CEH was a straight up beast at LSU, plays like a prime Ray Rice. Gonna fit great in that offense

Last edited:

RiccochetJ

Gold Member
I doubt there will be that much to talk about. He's a project QB and will learn behind Rodgers for a few years until he's done. I don't see Rodgers making a stink about it or anything. I'm sure he may be a bit miffed that they traded up and gave away a pick rather than drafting more players to help him try and win another Super Bowl immediately, but that's it.
You give ESPN way too much credit ;)

Moogle11

Banned

Last night shattered the draft tv ratings record. Not surprising with people cooped up and starved for sports content. Still broke it by more than I’d have thought.

Elway needs to trade back into the second round and get one of these remaining o-linemen. Cush will start at center for us day one. The CBs are gone now, we fucked that up, at least get o-line

Top Bottom