• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Xbox likely to win next gen after PS5 reveal shows Series X is significantly more powerful and doesn't have anti-consumer policies.

Will you buy XSX or PS5 first after the PS5 low power, anti-consumer reveal?

• I will buy Series X first because it has power, games from new studios, and pro-consumer policies

Votes: 138 29.3%
  • I will still buy PS5 first. The anti-consumer policies and low power are not important to me.

Votes: 320 67.9%
  • Voost Kain was right again!!!

Votes: 13 2.8%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

Filippos

Banned
This. So many fanboys (site creator included) calling others biased over their interpretation of a spec sheet when the most important factor has still yet to be revealed.

History shows us that the most powerful console doesnt always win. In fact, most of the time it doesnt. But in the majority of those cases, there was something else working against those systems. If MS truly has their shit together, gets more exclusives this gen than last, and is priced the same or within $50, it's hard to see how they dont at least eat into Sony's lead substantially this time around.

For all those that dont seem to 'get' that there's a big difference between 10 and 12 TF, well, I dont know what to tell you but you're flat out wrong.

the cooling system and SSD of the PS5 is much more expensive. What makes you think that series X will be more expensive?

SNG32

Sony will always have Microsoft Beat Worldwide But there going to give Sony that work in North America. I'm usually a Sony stan but they need to get humbled especially after the shit they have been pulling lately.

brap

Banned
The majority of people don't care about specs. If you want to play games besides halo, gears and forza you buy a different console.

the cooling system and SSD of the PS5 is much more expensive. What makes you think that series X will be more expensive?

Maybe it wont be but the ps5 but that will be an even bigger mistake-- it is still underpowered in comparison. MS has proven they can engineer a quiet, yet cool and relatively compact system in the X. Sony hasn't. The pro was an abomination.

Does anyone honestly believe a 2 TF shortfall will be made up by slightly faster loading times? The load times on Series X will already be snappy and the 'trash can' design will likely keep it cool. Sony doesnt seem to have put their $$$ where it matters this gen. 10TF, even RDNA2, isn't the quantum leap many were hoping/expecting. It's still nice. But it's not even rtx 2080 level. I have one of those and it ain't no flawless 4k60 card, even with current gen titles.

Last edited:

John Day

Honest inquiry here.

How much difference will 2 tflops make? I mean, 2 games release same day on both consoles. What will the diffence be between the two?

GrybuySlon

Neo Member
Nobody cares about teraflops, nobody. Not a single person is going to the store and buying a console because one has more flops than the other. They buy a console because it has better games, or because that's what their friends play on.

This is absolutely not true...I'm old enough to remember when the power shoe was on the other foot last go-around.

MHubert

We already have had many threads showing people here are concerned about Sony's anti-consumer policies, only really looking forward to the PS5 for Sony staples, but that was put into question when MS brought out several studios and increased development efforts on their new console attracting third-parties away from Sony slowly overtime.

Now the news has come out that not only will the PS5 be weaker than the Xbox Series X but it's a landslide victory across the board. Here are the PS5 specs

GPU: 10.28 TFLOPs, 36 CUs at 2.23GHz (variable frequency) GPU Architecture: Custom RDNA 2. Memory/Interface: 16GB GDDR6/256-bit. Memory Bandwith: 448GB/s.

This is horrifying for Sony, they only put out this rushed conference in response to the Series X reveal to try to soften the bad press they would get. But as it turns out they may have grossly miscalculated.

Will you still buy a PS5 first even though it will be significantly weaker and filled with anti-consumer policies like censorship etc?
Are you ignoring the double ssd speed and dedicated audio chip out of convenience, or?
... And what anti-consumer policies are you talking about exactly?

Hotspurr

Banned
Honest inquiry here.

How much difference will 2 tflops make? I mean, 2 games release same day on both consoles. What will the diffence be between the two?

Well more like 3, because the 10.2 number is an overclocked number and they don't expect the console to perform there all the time.
So what does a 30% difference in teraflops give you (9->12), at best maybe 30% increase in framerate, so a game running on Sony's console would need to make compromises to hit 60 FPS while the same game on xbox could do it much easier (eg. if Xbox version runs at 60, then the same fidelity would only hit 45 fps on PS5). This is based on my very naive linear application of Teraflops to performance.

John Day

Well more like 3, because the 10.2 number is an overclocked number and they don't expect the console to perform there all the time.
So what does a 30% difference in teraflops give you (9->12), at best maybe 30% increase in framerate, so a game running on Sony's console would need to make compromises to hit 60 FPS while the same game on xbox could do it much easier (eg. if Xbox version runs at 60, then the same fidelity would only hit 45 fps on PS5). This is based on my very naive linear application of Teraflops to performance.
So, like XOneX vs PS4 Base, but maybe a closer gap?

Thanks!

Hotspurr

Banned
So, like XOneX vs PS4 Base, but maybe a closer gap?

Thanks!

I think you mean like the Pro vs. the X, but with a closer gap. So not a huge deal, just some minor to moderate compromises here and there. I would be more worried about the PS5 heat dissipation and fan noise given the hackjob they did with the pro and how fast they want to push this new thing.

John Day

I think you mean like the Pro vs. the X, but with a closer gap. So not a huge deal, just some minor to moderate compromises here and there. I would be more worried about the PS5 heat dissipation and fan noise given the hackjob they did with the pro and how fast they want to push this new thing.
Very true! Mine is starting to shut down itself after quite some hours in.

Hobbygaming

has been asked to post in 'Grounded' mode.
I don't give a shit about turtleflops or giggleflaps or any of that shit. If the current Xbox (I don't even know what the fuck it is) was 10 times the power of the PS4, I still wouldn't have bought it.
Yep games > teraflops

With that said, it sounds like PS5 has some nice customization in the silicon

Last edited:
Games make a console win, not power, you dumb-dumb.
Don't developers prefer to showcase their games on the best possible hardware? If the XsX is easy to develop for and can push out better performance, I feel like it will just naturally draw more and potentially better titles.

Goalus

Are you ignoring the double ssd speed and dedicated audio chip out of convenience, or?
... And what anti-consumer policies are you talking about exactly?
Charging for cloud saves

The Inability to implement a proper backwards compatibility solution (granted, they probably would like to have one, but are too clueless to get it working)

Resisting crossplay until someone forced their hand

No refund option in their digital store

The disc version and the digital version of the same game supposedly do not share their save data (is this true? If yes, it demonstrates incompetency)

If I had a PS4, I could probably name a lot more.

MHubert

Charging for cloud saves

The Inability to implement a proper backwards compatibility solution (granted, they probably would like to have one, but are too clueless to get it working)

Resisting crossplay until someone forced their hand

No refund option in their digital store

The disc version and the digital version of the same game supposedly do not share their save data (is this true? If yes, it demonstrates incompetency)

If I had a PS4, I could probably name a lot more.
I have a ps4, and i knew none of those.
... Isn't it basically a list of desired features?

The Alien

Banned
Lol.

If by win, you mean who sells more consoles than, even as an XBox fan, I fully expect them to lose. But I'm still gonna give them.a win (not a head to head win) for getting the brand back in position for success.

Sony is a globally popular brand. XBox does well in the US and modestly decent in a few pockets elsewhere.

njean777

I feel like we are back in 2013 when all the Xbox fans were on the other side of the power wars. Its funny to watch really, now PS fans are doing exactly what Xbox fans did. I have both, but lean Xbox as of this gen after seeing all their positive moves, Sony has been resting on their laurels and it is showing now. I am not saying their games are not good mind you (I own a PS4) but just looking at the last 3 years they haven't been making moves really much at all like MS has.

dcx4610

I'm done with Xbox as a PC gamer. Virtually zero exclusives and the handful they have are the same old Forza , Gears and Halo. Not to mention, they come on PC now.

I'd be 100% if it wasn't for Sony's 1st party exclusives that are must-plays.

drganon

I voted ps5 just to fuck with the results of the poll. Even with all the bad news for the ps5 today, I'd still rather get one over stadia.

Filippos

Banned
Maybe it wont be but the ps5 but that will be an even bigger mistake-- it is still underpowered in comparison. MS has proven they can engineer a quiet, yet cool and relatively compact system in the X. Sony hasn't. The pro was an abomination.

Does anyone honestly believe a 2 TF shortfall will be made up by slightly faster loading times? The load times on Series X will already be snappy and the 'trash can' design will likely keep it cool. Sony doesnt seem to have put their $$$ where it matters this gen. 10TF, even RDNA2, isn't the quantum leap many were hoping/expecting. It's still nice. But it's not even rtx 2080 level. I have one of those and it ain't no flawless 4k60 card, even with current gen titles.

According to DF - it’s not even full RDNA 2.0. no vrs Etc. Xbox series has full RDNA 2.0 feature set. Confirmed by MS.

Last edited:

ABnormal

When I read the title I thought it was ironic :messenger_tears_of_joy:

It seems a good example of scarce connection with reality. And also of being brainwashed by any nonsensical MS marketing. Especially the "pro consumer" fad. It's pro consumer what fulfills what gamers want. What me and the majority of gamers want (if we look at sales) is a new generation with new generation games, not a steam machine that is simply a closed pc where everything have to run on everything.
If you like to have simply old gen games scaled on next gen paint, go ahead. But do not decide by yourself wat is "pro consumer". Most of console gamers are not interested in pc gaming philosophy.

TLZ

Banned
but it's a landslide victory across the board

giphy.gif

I’m assuming that this is a joke topic, but just in case. Having a weaker console is anti-consumer? Microsoft buys studios that used to make multiplatform games. Pro-consumerism. Sony buys timed exclusive. Anti-consumerism. Why do console gamers have to pay for XBOX Live, but PC gamers get online for free? Isn’t that really anti-consumer? Certain people relentlessly called out Sony for “anti-consumerism” practices for having Spider-Man exclusive in Avengers, yet why isn’t hardly anyone calling out Remedy for their shenanigans with Control next generation? Coincidence?

Seriously though, we should at least wait until the consoles are out before jumping to conclusions that one is superior to the other performance-wise. The XBOX One X has noticeably better specs than the PS4 Pro, yet visually they are normally very close to each other.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom