• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

More than 80% of PS5 Owners Don't Have an Xbox Series X|S, SIE data reveals

Heisenberg007

Gold Journalism
"According to SIE internal surveys, almost half of PlayStation 5 owners in the United States also own a Nintendo Switch, while less than 20% of PlayStation 5 owners in the United States also own an Xbox Series X or S."

This is really interesting data that came out of today's hearing. And this is has huge business implications in my opinion. I'm listing a few of them here:
  • Microsoft introduced Series S as a "secondary" console. But the data shows that more than 80% of PS5 owners did not buy an X or S.
  • Perhaps this is also the reason why Series S did not perform as well as Microsoft (and everyone else) initially thought.
  • Importantly, this data is from the US -- which is the strongest market for Xbox and where people are most likely to buy an Xbox console, even if they have a PS5.
The last, most important point is the potential success of Starfield as a driver of Xbox console sales.

People expect that Starfield will sell Xbox consoles. MS made it exclusive hoping that even PS5 owners may switch to Xbox or buy a secondary Xbox console to play Starfield. The data so far suggests that the percentage would be extremely low.

Only 20% are dual console owners. Out of the rest of the 80%, a large percentage would not even be interested in playing Starfield. How many more will become a dual console owner because of just 1 game? That's an interesting question.

In light of this data, will Starfield be able to change this percentage, or will the exclusivity decision backfire on Microsoft if PS5 owners don't buy a secondary Series X or S to play Starfield, which leads to lower than projected revenue for Xbox?

Last edited:

Nankatsu

Gold Member
Why would they?

Dis Gonna Be Good Jason Momoa GIF

Last edited:

GHG

Why would they?

Yep this is where I'm at.

Always had an Xbox before they went "day and date" with PC but now there's no need for me to have one, that money just got redirected towards better/more PC hardware.

I'd do the same with playstation if Sony also decided to follow them down that path. It's their own business decisions that have created this situation.

Last edited:

T4keD0wN

Why would they?

Dis Gonna Be Good Jason Momoa GIF
Humans usually have four limbs and 2 eyes, my theory is that they could play both at the same time. If this was the previous gen i would have said they could finish 1 game on one of those consoles while waiting for the other console to load.

Last edited:

Cornbread78

Why would they?
I've had both since launch and still use my X everyday for GP stuff, but play & invest mostly on PS5 because the controller alone is soooooooo much better for my gigantic hands

Yes and I know you are referring to there being not much in the way of 1st party games, but tgat will start to change in Sept. I bet a lot of S's will be sold if people do not have a faming Rig/laptop to run Starfield

Heisenberg007

Gold Journalism
I believe most people who want to play Starfield already has a Xbox or a capable PC. Will sell some Xs? Yes it will, but a lot less than most X people think...
I'm completely aligned and on record saying the same thing.

Starfield was delayed, and people have been waiting to play it, already subscribed to Game Pass.

While it will be a success by every metric possible, it will not drive a huge uptick in console sales or Game Pass subscriptions, because the large majority of people who want to play Starfield have (1) already bought an Xbox console and (2) subscribed to Game Pass.

No data, of course, but that's what I believe.

Heisenberg007

Gold Journalism
"this data is from the US -- which is the strongest market for Xbox"
I'd really like to know about the worldwide percentage. But since this is an FTC case there is no reason for them to reveal that.
Yeah that would be interesting. I think it's safe to assume that WW it would be less than 10% at best.

Last edited:

lachesis

I only see that I'm in that special 20% group. :) If you add in other stuff like Steam Deck and Switch etc - I guess I'll be in top 10%?

cash_longfellow

Gold Member
I used to have an Xbox with my ps3, but there was really no point to get one again because I have a decent laptop that I can play most of the titles on.

BennyBlanco

aka IMurRIVAL69
Yep this is where I'm at.

Always had an Xbox before they went "day and date" with PC but now there's no need for me to have one, that money just got redirected towards better/more PC hardware.

I'd do the same with playstation if Sony also decided to follow them down that path. It's their own business decisions that have created this situation.

Same here. But I don’t view this as a bad thing. I don’t want consoles. MS gets my money when I buy their games. Win/win.

SHA

This includes me. I sold my Series X and wil be getting a PC eventually. Whats the point of an Xbox?
Nothing except PC has always been planned for obsolescence, PC community are aware of that despite favoring it, you won't find who don't know about this cause they paid for premium stuff and it's just common sense.

Last edited:

K2D

Banned
I have a series X until I can muster the interest in getting into pc again. It's been very thin these past +10 years..

Robb

Gold Member
I don’t view them as complements and I would guess most people don’t, so this makes sense imo.

GHG

Same here. But I don’t view this as a bad thing. I don’t want consoles. MS gets my money when I buy their games. Win/win.

Personally I don't see it as a bad thing either, but from a strategic point of view if these businesses actually want to sell consoles and get you invested in the ecosystem as a whole then diluting your core strategy doesn't make much sense.

All Nintendo and Sony games native on PC from day one? Yes please, I'd happily take it. But I can also understand why they would be reluctant to do it.

Noxxera

"According to SIE internal surveys, almost half of PlayStation 5 owners in the United States also own a Nintendo Switch, while less than 20% of PlayStation 5 owners in the United States also own an Xbox Series X or S."

This is really interesting data that came out of today's hearing. And this is has huge business implications in my opinion. I'm listing a few of them here:
  • Microsoft introduced Series S as a "secondary" console. But the data shows that more than 80% of PS5 owners did not buy an X or S.
  • Perhaps this is also the reason why Series S did not perform as well as Microsoft (and everyone else) initially thought.
  • Importantly, this data is from the US -- which is the strongest market for Xbox and where people are most likely to buy an Xbox console, even if they have a PS5.
The last, most important point is the potential success of Starfield as a driver of Xbox console sales.

People expect that Starfield will sell Xbox consoles. MS made it exclusive hoping that even PS5 owners may switch to Xbox or buy a secondary Xbox console to play Starfield. The data so far suggests that the percentage would be extremely low.

Only 20% are dual console owners. Out of the rest of the 80%, a large percentage would not even be interested in playing Starfield. How many more will become a dual console owner because of just 1 game? That's an interesting question.

In light of this data, will Starfield be able to change this percentage, or will the exclusivity decision backfire on Microsoft if PS5 owners don't buy a secondary Series X or S to play Starfield, which leads to lower than projected revenue for Xbox?

Well Series S is a great alternative it seem if you wanna get onto next-gen for as cheap as possible. Too bad it's not 4k tho. Anyway Series S might be something I buy when I have the money to buy a next-gen console. Currently unemployed. But yeah I def want PS5 or Series X if I can afford.

BennyBlanco

aka IMurRIVAL69
Personally I don't see it as a bad thing either, but from a strategic point of view if these businesses actually want to sell consoles and get you invested in the ecosystem as a whole then diluting your core strategy doesn't make much sense.

All Nintendo and Sony games native on PC from day one? Yes please, I'd happily take it. But I can also understand why they would be reluctant to do it.

People like me who buy consoles to play a small handful of exclusives across an entire gen aren’t valuable customers to them. Never gonna pay to play online. Never gonna buy multiplats on console. I legitimately don’t think I have turned on my ps5 or switch in the calendar year 2023.

Reactions: GHG

ssringo

A more interesting statistic would be how many also have a PC for gaming. Cause that would give access to Microsoft's offerings and not be tied to their console.

Top Bottom