• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

More than 80% of PS5 Owners Don't Have an Xbox Series X|S, SIE data reveals

93xfan

Banned
Why would they?

Dis Gonna Be Good Jason Momoa GIF
-Backwards compatibility with some truly amazing games

-Gamepass and quick resume

-Starfield, Forza Horizon, Sea of Thieves, etc

-ecosystem made with future compatibility in mind

-Halo MCC multiplayer if they have any taste

Eotheod

Doesn't this prove Microsoft's point even further as to underdog element and lack of ability to "compete" in the market due to Sony swinging power? Obviously this only includes dual console ownership, however we could probably infer higher ownership in US from this data. Would that not mean Sony has a easier chance at swinging games to their platform without much effort, whereas Microsoft would have to work harder to get the same title?

I'm not really that surprised though, consoles are a fickle market that don't usually have multi-owner mindsets. Especially now with digital libraries growing, it's in a way like PC with Steam in that I won't go anywhere else (outside of free EGS games) due to 600+ games on my account. Why buy a second console that's in the same league of generation when I've got titles already on that platform?

Barakov

Gold Member
That's not surprising. If you mainly game on PS5 there's not a whole lot of reason to own to a Series console as of right now. I own a XSX and really have no desire to even turn the thing on. Switch on the other hand....I play that about as much as my PS5.

FInally, they're giving me a reason in September when Starfield comes out.

welshrat

Have a PS5. Sold my Series X for PC.

There are no console exclusives from Xbox, so next to no reason to own one.
Exactly the same here, sold my series X, already had the PC, bought a steam deck with the proceeds. much happier now and when the wife is trying to platinum all the souls games I can sit on the sofa enjoying some steam deck :)

Also seems given starfield is 30fps on X that PC is the place to play it and steam deck is fantastic as a PS5 remote play device.

Last edited:

Banjo64

cumsessed
-Backwards compatibility with some truly amazing games

-Gamepass and quick resume

-Starfield, Forza Horizon, Sea of Thieves, etc

-ecosystem made with future compatibility in mind

-Halo MCC multiplayer if they have any taste
All completely irrelevant if you own a PC.

I’m not bothered by it, I love Big Phil’s loop hole.

Buy a Deck for £300 and you get all of that but you aren’t forced to pay to play online. Not locked in to Microsoft’s store front.

All the pros, none of the cons.

M$ treats Xbox customers like second class citizens.

bender

What time is it?
Do we have data on the split between S/X sales? I was actually under the impression that S was the better performer of the two.

MikeM

Doesn't this prove Microsoft's point even further as to underdog element and lack of ability to "compete" in the market due to Sony swinging power? Obviously this only includes dual console ownership, however we could probably infer higher ownership in US from this data. Would that not mean Sony has a easier chance at swinging games to their platform without much effort, whereas Microsoft would have to work harder to get the same title?

I'm not really that surprised though, consoles are a fickle market that don't usually have multi-owner mindsets. Especially now with digital libraries growing, it's in a way like PC with Steam in that I won't go anywhere else (outside of free EGS games) due to 600+ games on my account. Why buy a second console that's in the same league of generation when I've got titles already on that platform?
I would argue no. Xbox’s position with their console made their system unappealing.

Part of their problem is their exclusives are available on PC and their console, thereby providing access to their games in multiple ways (and at a cut in revenue if bought on Steam versus Xbox/Xbox app). You’ll never see this from Nintendo and Sony (GaaS exception).

If you don’t drive people to your box, which is still the main entry point to gaming, then you lose out on extra income potential from sales and services. The more locked in people get into your ecosystem, the more likely they stay and feed you $$$. Their positioning is completely their fault and has nothing to do with the underdog mantra they like to parrot.

Eotheod

All completely irrelevant if you own a PC.

I’m not bothered by it, I love Big Phil’s loop hole.

Buy a Deck for £300 and you get all of that but you aren’t forced to pay to play online. Not locked in to Microsoft’s store front.

All the pros, none of the cons.

M$ treats Xbox customers like second class citizens.
They don't though? Everything still comes to Xbox, just so happens PC and cloud have access too. I still have yet to be convinced as to why Xbox consoles are "missing out" or, in your words, second class citizens. What does it matter that PC gets Xbox games, is it not up to the person playing as to where they want to go?

If I choose to play on Xbox I'm not losing anything, I'd actually argue I'm getting a better local multiplayer system and if I was bothered by PC pricing a cheaper enclosed alternative. It's the same with Sony releasing on PC, there is no harm to the console only players because they still get their games. Is it this idea that only console players should get games first and PC six months later?

I just really struggle to see any cons to Microsoft or Sony investing in PC releases. You still get games, and I most definitely don't see a performance hit because you see console only ones (i.e. FFXVI) still having shit performance.

xrnzaaas

I'm buying one in time for Forza Motorsport's launch. But yeah, that'll be my second console just for a handful of console exclusives. No big commitment and no Game Pass.

Playing Forza Horizon 3/4 and older XBOX backwards compatible titles on Series S is a blast. PS5 has nothing in its library worth a damn for me except PS4 titles that I already own. Sony really screwed themselves with designing PS2 and PS3 hardware.

Last edited:

Banjo64

cumsessed
They don't though? Everything still comes to Xbox, just so happens PC and cloud have access too. I still have yet to be convinced as to why Xbox consoles are "missing out" or, in your words, second class citizens. What does it matter that PC gets Xbox games, is it not up to the person playing as to where they want to go?
Can’t play Sea of Thieves on Xbox, even if you own it, without Gold or Game Pass Ultimate. Same for MCC online.

Buy those games on Steam instead, and you’ve got not such issue.

If I choose to play on Xbox I'm not losing anything, I'd actually argue I'm getting a better local multiplayer system and if I was bothered by PC pricing a cheaper enclosed alternative. It's the same with Sony releasing on PC, there is no harm to the console only players because they still get their games. Is it this idea that only console players should get games first and PC six months later?

I just really struggle to see any cons to Microsoft or Sony investing in PC releases. You still get games, and I most definitely don't see a performance hit because you see console only ones (i.e. FFXVI) still having shit performance.
I agree there is no cons in MS or Sony investing in PC. In fact it’s the most consumer friendly thing to happen in the last decade.

Nydius

I am a pretty big Xbox fan but agree with this if someone can afford a PC there is no need for a Series X/S

Yeah. Exactly why I'm going back to PC after this gen. Between MS Game Studios putting all their stuff up on PC day one, Sony putting most of the stuff I'm interested in on PC eventually, and this constant never-ending discourse about mid-gen refresh systems, I'm just going back to where I can play everything I'm interested in all in the same place.

There's very little in the Microsoft backwards compatibility catalog that makes me want to keep an Xbox around. I've played most of them in the past, at least the ones I cared about, with little interest in revisiting them. I have no qualms waiting for Sony first party games to eventually make their way to PC. Usually that means getting the definitive version of the game with all the content, balance adjustments, and patches that console players had drip fed over time. Usually. When they take the time to properly port things, that is.

Eotheod

Can’t play Sea of Thieves on Xbox, even if you own it, without Gold or Game Pass Ultimate. Same for MCC online.

Buy those games on Steam instead, and you’ve got not such issue.

I agree there is no cons in MS or Sony investing in PC. In fact it’s the most consumer friendly thing to happen in the last decade.
Oh yeah, I forgot entirely about the lower tier Game Pass. Though I thought they, like with Sony, stopped online requirements?

What possible reason has MS given any PS gamer to buy an Xbox?

If anything, they keep continually giving them reasons not to. Especially if you own a decent gaming PC.

What possible reason has MS given any PS gamer to buy an Xbox?

If anything, they keep continually giving them reasons not to. Especially if you own a decent gaming PC.

Personally I get more play from my Xbox than PS5 because I can cross play many of the games on PC which is handy + try bout new ones before downloading (maybe more of a benefit to those of us in AUS with slower internet )

Mr.Phoenix

No surprise there, their libraries overlap too much. If you have one, you simply do not need the other.

Especially if you happen to have a PC.

Gambit2483

Do we have any numbers on Xbox's Series S/X LTD numbers for the US?

It sounds like they're being outsold by more than 2:1

Last edited:

rapid32.5

I'm in 20% then. I always find 3rd party games have cheaper worldwide Xbox deals online and game pass gives access to first-party games. BC is a bonus.

Last edited:
includes me...
PS5/ Switch / PC 3060ti - ryzen 3600 / Steam Deck.
(Ps3/Ps2/n3DSxl/PS_Classic/TG16_mini/steam Link/Wii-GC/NES MINI/PSP/VITA)

Will get that starfield on pc and stream it over to tv, or play on deck. Will take more than that to get me to get another console, especially when switch 2 is around the corner.
When you are married you have to justify expenses. And try telling your wife you need to spend on another console for 1 game. Lolol... yeah right.

Last edited:

yurinka

Surprising, there was a bigger overlap with a way higher percentage of owner of both consoles in the last generation. At least a few years ago, not sure a couple years after that generation started.

Maybe its because this gen, unlike the previous one, all MS games are also available on PC and day one.

Last edited:

phant0m

With PS5, switch and PC you have all the bases covered. There’s no new release you can’t play.

I still have a XB1X that gets used exclusively for Blu-rays and when I feel like busting out an old OG Xbox or 360 disc.

Celine

Honestly crazy that many have a Switch too.
How so?
Switch has sold over 40 million units in US (well above PS4) and is on track to become the second best selling console ever in US only behind the Nintendo DS.
Due to the big amount bought in the market there is a good chance a notable chunk of PlayStation / Xbox owners are also Nintendo owners.

Last edited:

graywolf323

Worth it for me for BC alone :messenger_smiling_with_eyes:
at this point that’s primarily what I use my Series X for as well (plus it’s my only blu-ray player given I opted for the digital PS5)

but it that’s what’s in turn made this gen so disappointing to me, I want to be playing great new games from Xbox Games Studios on my Series X 😕

NickFire

I think the lack of both (PS and Xbox) by the vast majority is more representative of what the non-enthusiast crowd is willing to spend on consoles, than anything else. There’s definitely enthusiasts without both, and non-forum dwellers who have gaming pcs and see no need. But I think most just see the two as basically the same and wouldn’t consider buying both.

somesang

PS5, Switch, PC is all I need to enjoy all the games.

There hasn’t been anything Xbox specific for me to want to buy one. Last Xbox I owned was a 360. Forza and Starfield will be played on my PC with better performance. I wished the Series X was a compelling product but it just isn’t for me.

Backwards compatibility is just not enough considering my current backlog.

I had high hopes for this gen but here we are.

MirageMew2

They lost me with the One, and Sony’s smashed it with their PS4 run to this day now with the PS5. I’ve never been a big PC gamer but it’s a lot more enticing for Starfield than another console, as well as a better long term investment.

Last edited:

Neolombax

The second console I own is a Switch. Nintendo just has more appealing games. I'm tempted to get an XSX for Starfield, but my wife would probably kill me if I got another console.

At least for the Switch, i told her its for my son. Also I got her Animal Crossing, so we're good on the Switch.

But of course. Why would I own an Xbox in addition to my PS5 when glorious PC exists? Every Xbox game releases day one on PC and runs way better on PC than it does on Xbox…

Pc Rt GIF by NVIDIA GeForce

I mean that is a fairly normal statistic. First of all, a lot of people, no matter what your prefference is, dont have 2 consoles because of cost. Secondly its do I have time to play one more library of games. I recently bought an XSX even though Im a PS guy all my life. Theres plenty good in that gamepass, my obsession with aviation gives me access to flight simulator 2020 and many more. People say well you have same things on PC. Sure, but for me, I like my plug n play option for $500. I dont have the time or the will to bother with managing my gpu,cpu, do I have the right drivers for my AMD because this game accepts them but the other doesnt etc. Its just pain in the ass and its going to cost way WAY more than an XSX to have the games as visually pleasing.

Top Bottom