• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Would you rather go to Hogwarts or Ilvermorny? (Harry Potter)

Status
Not open for further replies.

hamchan

Ilvermorny seems to have more of an accepting and less elitist culture considering it was established by a muggle-witch partnership.

Fusebox

Banned
I heard the Ilvermorny school motto is, "The Only Thing That Stops a Bad Guy With a Wand Is a Good Guy With a Wand."

Trojita

Rapid Response Threadmaker
I heard the Ilvermorny school motto is, "The Only Thing That Stops a Bad Guy With a Wand Is a Good Guy With a Wand."

Or a poison tipped arrow.

I love how in that piece of writing Rowling basically confirmed that guns would stop a magic user.

I was sorted into Gryffindor at Hogwarts, and sorted into Horned Serpent at Ilvermorny. Don't know what this shit means but okay.

Madness

Incoming schools of magic in South East Asia where all the teacher is shaman lol.^_^

Count JK Rowling stupid enough to do it. She made the Brazilian school portuguese and ancient and whatnot because her daughter is half portuguese and because that is what Brazil is known for but it completely erases any indigenous history of Brazil prior to Portuguese colonization. Why would the magic and school in that area of the world be built around a language and culture that is only a few centuries since introduction? She is well versed enough to know about diversity but just shows how things like this go over her head.

Fusebox

Banned
Or a poison tipped arrow.

I love how in that piece of writing Rowling basically confirmed that guns would stop a magic user.

Like, I get that there's no way the average Hogwarts student could say a spell in time to stop shooting someone. "Expeli-" *BAM*' "Excruci- *BAM*

BUT - hear me out, what if they also taught a class in auctioneering? Ever heard a good rural auctioneer take bids? Those guys spit multiple full words in a second, they'd be the magical equivalent of a tommy gun.

Trojita

Like, I get that there's no way the average Hogwarts student could say a spell in time to stop shooting someone. "Expeli-" *BAM*' "Excruci- *BAM*

BUT - hear me out, what if they also taught a class in auctioneering? Ever heard a good rural auctioneer take bids? Those guys spit multiple full words in a second, they'd be the magical equivalent of a tommy gun.

A pro can cast magic without saying anything.

Rentahamster

Rodent Whores

They'd probably already have some kind of passive protection charm around them anyway. Try and assassinate Edea in FF8, and see what happens...

Trojita

They'd probably already have some kind of passive protection charm around them anyway. Try and assassinate Edea in FF8, and see what happens...

The sorceress
possessed by immensely powerful sorceress who focuses on time and space manipulation.

Yeah okay, we'll see how Ron fairs.

Fusebox

Banned

So all they'd need is spider-sense basically and then they should be able to wingadium levioso bullets out of the air even after they've been fired followed up by a quick excrucio to the shooter.

The sorceress
possessed by immensely powerful sorceress who focuses on time and space manipulation.

Yeah okay, we'll see how Ron fairs.

Lmfao.

Cheerilee

According to the Potter Wiki, Beauxbatons students are taught to cast the Avis Charm nonverbally and even wandlessly.

And the Avis Charm (summon birds) might be the best defense against Avada Kedavra (the death spell), similar to an infinite-Kuribo defense in YuGiOh.

And Beauxbatons students are all sexy.

ngower

Adams is a couple hours drive, whereas Hogwarts is quite a ways away. Better yet, the Galleon has to have dropped significantly since the Brexit.

Fusebox

Banned
Adams is a couple hours drive, whereas Hogwarts is quite a ways away. Better yet, the Galleon has to have dropped significantly since the Brexit.

Haha, oh shit I wonder if the wizard community even got to vote in the referendum. Or maybe someone did a mass confundus, that might explain things actually.

Bowdz

The dank American one because of freedom and our fucking baller military. Imagine our baller MAGIC military son. GET ON OUR LEVEL HOGWARTS.

Ponn

Banned
I'm going to open a Florida branch, its going to be the shit. I'm calling it Swampworts.

oMMsSxO.jpg

We're going to have

House Mouse

House Tebow

House Publix

House Big Fucking Cockroach

We even have our version of Voldemort here already

casiopao

Count JK Rowling stupid enough to do it. She made the Brazilian school portuguese and ancient and whatnot because her daughter is half portuguese and because that is what Brazil is known for but it completely erases any indigenous history of Brazil prior to Portuguese colonization. Why would the magic and school in that area of the world be built around a language and culture that is only a few centuries since introduction? She is well versed enough to know about diversity but just shows how things like this go over her head.

Wait wait wait. U mean that Brazilian school exist in HP world? Man, i shudder if suddenly J.K Rowling just create a magic school in my country Indonesia and said the school is made by Netherlands as we are conquered by them for 350 years lol.T_T

Dirca

As I'm Pure blood all the way, I wouldn't be caught dead in a school founded by a disgusting muggle. Got enough filthy mudbloods at Hogwarts as it is.

The Adder

Banned
BTW:

Best possible Ilvermorny story?

4th year Hogwarts transfer student.

Why?

Because while a 1st year Ilvermorny student would bring a pair of fresh eyes, magic is no longer new and thrilling. There'd be a lot of old ground to tread. With an older student from a school we already know, you'd get a lot of reactions and adapting to the contrasts.

Trojita

I wonder if the American Branch has a "Magic Rape is not okay" "Love potions are not consent" campaign.

Get your shit together Hogwarts, you have students selling rape potions in the school.

diaspora

I wonder if the American Branch has a "Magic Rape is not okay" "Love potions are not consent" campaign.

Get your shit together Hogwarts, you have students selling rape potions in the school.

Voldemort was conceived because his mother raped his father by using a love potion on him for a long ass time IIRC.

It was founded by someone who dreamed of going to Hogwarts but was never able to. So, yes.

Yes. The founder was an Irish immigrant who lived with Voldemort's great great great something (who murdered her brother/father of the founder) and wasn't allowed to go to Hogwarts. So when she started her own school she modeled it after Hogwarts because she'd always wanted to go there as a child.
Honestly even as a hardcore Harry Potter fan, that sounds like a cheap way to conceptualize what still ultimately comes off as an in-universe hogwarts clone.
Like The Office?
Sorry I don't watch that. What's this reference?

DrForester

Kills Photobucket
Ilvermorny.

Houses seem far more balanced, to highlight the best aspects of each person in them.

There's no Hufflepuff, a house for the exceptionally unexceptionable. And there doesn't seem to be a Slytherin house that is 100% racist assholes. The best person to ever come out of Slytherin is a guy who tormented a child for seven years and the only thing keeping him from killing him, was he regretted not banging the kids mom.

I could bike to Ilvermorny from my birthplace.

The Adder

Banned
Ilvermorny.

Schools seem far more balanced, to highlight the best aspects of each person in them.

There's no Hufflepuff, a house for the exceptionally unexceptionable. And there doesn't seem to be a Slytherin house that is 100% racist assholes.

I could bike to Ilvermorny from my birthplace.

As a Ravenclaw, Hufflepuff is easily the best house. I've discussed this. It is known.

So yeah. Gryffindors value courage, Ravenvlaws intelligence, Slytherin ambition. There are a lot of jokes about Hufflepuff being the C students of the HP universe, afterall, Helga Hufflepuff said she'd "take the rest."

So the sorting hat houses you based on 2 things. What you can do, and what you value. And we've seen it put values over skills. Capability, after all, can be nurtured and cultivated.

What is it that Hufflepuff students are suppossed to value most?

Busting your ass.

So yes, Hufflepuff is full of kids who got put there because they've got good hustle, but you know who else is there?

The genius who credits their intelligence primarily to hours of laborious study.

The athlete who's on the field running herself ragged every day.

The social climber making his connections and creating owed favors now instead of waiting for some dark lord to grace him with gifts.

Basically everyone who would have been in another house if not for the fact that they value putting their noses to the grindstone more than they value the way in which they do so.

And they have a network of lesser acheivers willing to work their asses off to help their more talented friends.

Hufflepuff is the house you join if you actually want to accomplish anything in life without having to be some chosen one or a person meant to aid in someone else's special destiny.

zeshakag

BTW:

Best possible Ilvermorny story?

4th year Hogwarts transfer student.

Why?

Because while a 1st year Ilvermorny student would bring a pair of fresh eyes, magic is no longer new and thrilling. There'd be a lot of old ground to tread. With an older student from a school we already know, you'd get a lot of reactions and adapting to the contrasts.

"You're late...welcome to the class, please take a seat Mitchum... Bimblewopper."

Mitchum took a seat by the window and breathed a sigh from which he could barely detect the toast he was eating while running to class.

He looked out the window apathetically. He had thought everything could change by moving to the US and living alone (how he came to live in such a nice Perkins Real Estate studio apartment alone as a 15 year old was unknown). But it seemed like nothing would now. Back to the same old.

Lunch time. He bent over the side of his desk to grab his lunch when all of a sudden...he felt his face pressed into what felt like a large fluffy pillow.

He looked up, and saw a cute girl's face, tomato red with embarrassment.

"BAAAKAAAA!!!!"

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom