• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Ilvermorny (US Hogwarts) video teaser + Writings from JK Rowling

Status
Not open for further replies.

Man God

Non-Canon Member
WWII is vaguely hinted at in Deathly Hallows considering Dumbledore's duel with Grindlewald happened in 1945 after he had built up an impressive following of supremacist wizards and no one else was able to take him down.

El Topo

I dunno, WWII could maybe be handled quite easily. Just say that there were wizards who did help (but whose contributions have been hidden in the muggle history through magical means, i.e. making muggles who've seen things forget what they've seen), wizards who sided with the nazi/fascist ideology and were basically the Death Eaters of their time and then magic people who wanted nothing to do with this horrible war that muggles had created themselves and shut themselves out of the conflict.

"Albus, why did the magical community do nothing against the Holocaust, the most horrific event in human history and why has this event not had any influence on the wizard world, especially given how similar it is in its nature to You-Know-Who and his ideals?"
"Eh....10 points Gryffindor!"
"But Albus..."
"Shut the fuck up Harry. Shut the fuck up and never mention it ever again."

No matter how you tackle the subject, it would feel tasteless. Just don't bring it up.

Not

Banned
It sounds like the houses are based on actual (wow) fantastical animals and not people. Like mascots in our sports teams

aett

It sounds like the houses are based on actual (wow) fantastical animals and not people. Like mascots in our sports teams

Just wait until it turns out that the Ilvermorny founders were named Wallace Wampus, Teddy Thunderbird, Patrice Pukwudgie, and Homer Horned Serpent.

Anoregon

The flight plan I just filed with the agency list me, my men, Dr. Pavel here. But only one of you!
I definitely enjoyed reading than little story more than watching at least like 3 of the movies.

sphagnum

Banned
That was pretty good but I'm disappointed in the near total lack of Native American influence outside of the house names and some students being mentioned as exchanging what they knew about magic for learning wand arts.

ElFly

The Cursed Child spoilers just tanked my hype for this.

Cannot avoid thinking it will join into the main HP characters that exact same way.

Kinokou

Thanks for the bump. Got sorted into Wampus, and I wish they had a second wand test that included the new cores.

Story was cool, but did I get this right?
Only the boys got horned serpent wands?

Jarmel

Banned
I feel like she didn't want to tell another "school" story. So we get those tidbits as a background for the Fantastic Beasts trilogy.

This really isn't a school story though.

Just goddamn after reading the Cursed Child stuff and reading this is like night and day.

PSqueak

Banned
The story is good, if anything, it just bothers me a little she just couldn't resist making it connect with the main story via the Gaunt family.

Story was cool, but did I get this right?
Only the boys got horned serpent wands?

Yeah, at least from that specific one, I'm not sure if that creature is unique or part of a species.

The story was fantastic, it could definitely be a movie. Weird that
the goodness in Salazar led to a tree with medicinal properties
, but I like the idea.

Desmond

I loved that but I have one nitpick to make. Isolt Sayre is not an Irish name lol. I have no idea how it's read. Eye-solt Say-er?

Darryl

Banned
The story is good, if anything, it just bothers me a little she just couldn't resist making it connect with the main story via the Gaunt family.
it does make sense tho. if the story was just as simple as a girl goes to America and lives out the American dream, it wouldn't be nearly intriguing. the Slytherin tie in makes it a lot more mystic. the idea of these old powerful, almost diety like figures, having unexplainable reaching powers and a quirky existence is a fundamental part of Harry Potter and it's appeal. Harry Potter likes to bridge the unlimited power of magic with an earthly origin (hogwarts doesn't exist because magic exists, but because great individuals once created it). choosing the bad egg (Slytherin) effectively go to America and turn a new leaf (by proxy with the wand and parseltongue) gives this story some of that earned mystical appeal while tying into American culture.

LuuKyK

Wow what a great short story. Much better than that convoluted mess that is the play. Rowling write a book about this please. No one will judge you. D:

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom