• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

J.K Rowling Unveils the magic school names for U.S.A, Brazil, Japan, and Africa

Status
Not open for further replies.

Trojita

Rapid Response Threadmaker
https://www.pottermore.com/news/ilvermorny-is-the-american-wizarding-school

I can't pronounce this shit

Brand new writing by J.K. Rowling has revealed more information about the other schools of witchcraft and wizardry, and that the North American magical school’s name is Ilvermorny.

Actress Evanna Lynch has just left the stage at the Celebration of Harry Potter at the Universal Orlando Resort, where she told thousands of Potter fans the good news.

Exclusive writing by J.K. Rowling on the Brazilian, Japanese and African schools was also unveiled at the event and is now available to read on Pottermore.

Oh my stars, there’s so much to say: we learned that Brazilian students at Castelobruxo are particularly adept at Herbology and Magizoology; Japanese witches and wizards at Mahoutokoro wear enchanted robes that change colour as their magical knowledge improves, and that the only address ever given for Uagadou in Africa is ‘Mountains of the Moon.’

Pause for a moment to catch your breath.

As for Ilvermorny… All of you eagle-eyed fans had an inkling that word was going to mean something special, and Pottermore will bring you more writing by J.K. Rowling on this magical school soon.

Follow the links to read all about Castelobruxo, Mahoutokoro and Uagadou and happy reading, everyone.

And with Sorting back, the Pottermore booth at the expo has been packed with fans looking to discover their Hogwarts house. It’s also home to a rather special map, showing the locations of all the schools we know about (so far).

Ithil

All those poor fanfics and their exchange students from the Salem Witches Institute that win Harry or Malfoy's heart.

Trojita

Lemme get a story about this Uagadou. Pls Rowling.

I guess it adds to the mystery of the location, but it also seems like how most people regard Africa almost like a country instead of continent. You know how fucking big Africa is? Don't give me this 'Mountains of the Moon' bullshit.

I think she meant to say Trump Tower.

GPshdb3.png

Warxard

Banned
Potter schools should just be like, Rival Schools/Project Justice but with Magic.

I want to see the Japanese Wizard Delinquents

Mortemis

Banned
Bahaha the Japan one is literally 'Magic Place'

Lmao. I like the idea of color changing robes though.

I guess it adds to the mystery of the location, but it also seems like how most people regard Africa almost like a country instead of continent. You know how fucking big Africa is? Don't give me this 'Mountains of the Moon' bullshit.

Yeah, I had that thought too. I still want to learn more about it though, hopefully in a not half-assed story.

Livermorny was founded by my mom with her thick latino accent.

She was the accountant of the wizards as they were coming up with a name, when they saw a woman crying over the tomb of her husband outside the castle. Not knowing whether they should tell her to leave or allow her to stay my mom told them

"livermorny'n, it is healthy for the soul"

Ithil

It does say it's the largest magic school in the world given it services much of the continent, and also says there's a number of smaller magic schools around Africa.

Ithil

People complaining about names, in Harry Potter, really.

Remus Lupin is a werewolf. WHO KNEW? Spot-on names is just part of the series' style.
If a Death Eater shows up called Vilain Totalpryck, no eyelids should be batted.

Can the headmaster be the dumbledore from the robot chicken skit?

People complaining about names, in Harry Potter, really.

Remus Lupin is a werewolf. WHO KNEW? Spot-on names is just part of the series' style.
If a Death Eater shows up called Vilain Totalpryck, no eyelids should be batted.

and I could swear that hogwarts name has to do with actual hogs/pigs.

Angry Grimace

Two cannibals are eating a clown. One turns to the other and says "does something taste funny to you?"
Write more books about the magic world please. :-(

Trojita

It does say it's the largest magic school in the world given it services much of the continent, and also says there's a number of smaller magic schools around Africa.

Oh cool. Yeah I'm digging through the descriptions right now.

I'm not sure how a place name woudl sound 'American', after all, it's a nation of immigrants, our place names are all over the map.

And why only one school? We already know there are quiddich teams in places like Sweetwater, and NA is a huge place. I'd imagine you would have had schools in several places, set up by the Spanish, French, British, Natives, etc and so forth.

Ditto for Africa, but even more so. Unless these are just one of the schools in each place, which would make more sense.

Trojita

This ancient Japanese school has the smallest student body of the eleven great wizarding schools and takes students from the age of seven (although they do not board until they are eleven). While day students, wizarding children are flown back and forth to their homes every day on the backs of a flock of giant storm petrels. The ornate and exquisite palace of Mahoutokoro is made of mutton-fat jade, and stands on the topmost point of the 'uninhabited' (or so Muggles think) Volcanic island of Minami Iwo Jima.

Students are presented with enchanted robes when they arrive, which grow in size as they do, and which gradually change colour as the learning of their wearer increases, beginning a faint pink colour and becoming (if top grades are achieved in every magical subject) gold. If the robes turn white, this is an indication that the student has betrayed the Japanese wizard's code and adopted illegal practices (which in Europe we call 'Dark' magic) or broken the International Statute of Secrecy. To 'turn white' is a terrible disgrace, which results in instant expulsion from the school and trial at the Japanese Ministry for Magic. Mahoutokoro's reputation rests not only on its impressive academic prowess, but also on its outstanding reputation for Quidditch, which, legend has it, was introduced to Japan centuries ago by a band of foolhardy Hogwarts students who were blown off course during an attempt to circumnavigate the globe on wholly inadequate broomsticks. Rescued by a party of wizarding staff from Mahoutokoro, who had been observing the movements of the planets, they remained as guests long enough to teach their Japanese counterparts the rudiments of the game, a move they lived to regret. Every member of the Japanese Quidditch team and the current Champion's League winners (the Toyohashi Tengu) attributes their prowess to the gruelling training they were given at Mahoutokoro, where they practise over a sometimes turbulent sea in stormy conditions, forced to keep an eye out not only for the Bludgers but also for planes from the Muggle airbase on a neighbouring island.

This place lol

It's like she googled Japan real quick. White = evil check, Tengu check. Direct translation for magic school check.

I now want a book written about a student at the Japanese magic school that is betrayed and his robe turns white because of nefarious machinations. A fugitive on the run, where most of magic society thinks he's evil.

Ithil

So do the different branches of the school have their own quidditch rivalry?

South Eastern Quidditch

Big Twelve Brooms

and the others no one cares about

The European Quidditch is mentioned to have a specific foul (among literally like 600 others) on "attacking another player with an axe". I wonder what fouls they have in Japan's Quidditch.

Angry Grimace

Two cannibals are eating a clown. One turns to the other and says "does something taste funny to you?"
You guys do realize any inconsistency can be explained with "a wizard did it" right?

The European Quidditch is mentioned to have a specific foul on "attacking another player with an axe". I wonder what fouls they have in Japan's Quidditch.

Tentacles.

So we know of what 8 schools now? 3 missing right?

Hogwarts
Castlebruxo
Mahoutokoro
Uagadou
Ilvermorny
Durmstrang
Beauxbatons
Koldovstoretz

The European Quidditch is mentioned to have a specific foul (among literally like 600 others) on "attacking another player with an axe". I wonder what fouls they have in Japan's Quidditch.

flying with toast on their mouth to remind themselves that their life is an anime

Game Guru

So do the different branches of the school have their own quidditch rivalry?

South Eastern Quidditch

Big Twelve Brooms

and the others no one cares about

Please! Americans don't play Quidditch. They play Quodpot, which is like Quidditch, but the ball explodes making it a more American game. It was mentioned in Quidditch Through the Ages!

Bronx-Man

Banned
Although Africa has a number of smaller wizarding schools (for advice on locating these, see introductory paragraph), there is only one that has stood the test of time (at least a thousand years) and achieved an enviable international reputation: Uagadou. The largest of all wizarding schools, it welcomes students from all over the enormous continent. The only address ever given is 'Mountains of the Moon'; visitors speak of a stunning edifice carved out of the mountainside and shrouded in mist, so that it sometimes appears simply to float in mid-air. Much (some would say all) magic originated in Africa, and Uagadou graduates are especially well versed in Astronomy, Alchemy and Self-Transfiguration.
The cradle of magical civilization!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom