• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

If the sequel of Hogwarts was another school, where would you choose?

Which other school interests you?

• Mahoutokoro - Japan

Votes: 33 32.0%
  • Uagadou - Africa

Votes: 16 15.5%
  • Castelobruxo - Brazil

Votes: 6 5.8%
  • Beauxbatons - France

Votes: 24 23.3%
  • Durmstrang - redacted (North Europe?)

Votes: 20 19.4%
  • Ilvermorny - East Coast USA

Votes: 17 16.5%
  • Other (speculate in thread)

Votes: 4 3.9%

• Total voters

cormack12

Gold Member
According to a series of posts on Pottermore, Rowling stated that "the wizarding populations of most countries choose the option of home schooling. Occasionally, too, the magical community in a given country is tiny or far-flung and correspondence courses have been found a more cost-effective means of educating the young."

Mahoutokoro: located in Japan on the topmost point of the volcanic island of Minami Iwo Jima, this palace is made of mutton-fat jade. Students are accepted at the age of 7, though at this time they are considered day students and are ferried between school and home on the backs of giant storm petrels. They board by 11, at which time they receive enchanted robes that grow as the students do and change color based on their learning progression. The school is also known for their Quidditch.

Uagadou: The largest wizarding school in the world is located in Africa at an unspecified location called "Mountains of the Moon," the structure of which is described as being carved out of the side of a mountain and shrouded in mist. Students are adept at astronomy, alchemy, self-transfiguration, and casting spells by pointing their fingers and various hand gestures, since Rowling states the wand is a European invention. In lieu of letters by owl, accepted students receive Dream Messengers in their sleep from the current headmaster/mistress.

Castelobruxo: The golden temple-like school is located in the Brazilian rainforest and looks, to the untrained Muggle eye, as ruins. Small and mischievous spirit beings known as Caiporo protect the grounds and the residing students, who wear green robes and are skilled in herbology and magizoology.

Beauxbatons Academy of Magic: You know this institution from Harry Potter and the Goblet of Fire as one of the three schools competing in the Triwizard Tournament. The school is "thought to be located in the Pyrenees" mountain range in Europe, and the grounds consist of a chateau with surrounding gardens and lawns

Durmstrang Institute: Durmstrang is the other foreign school that came to Hogwarts for the Triwizard Tournament in Goblet of Fire. Nobody is 100 percent certain of its location as it's the most secretive of the 11 institutions, though it's believed to reside far north in Europe. Durmstrang's reputation is tainted by some nefarious wizards who headed the school throughout history.

Ilvermorny: A detailed account of this school isn't available at this time, but based on the map revealed on Pottermore it's the American school of witchcraft and wizardry located on the East Coast. Rowling previously revealed that, though it's not in New York, "indigenous magic was important in the founding of the school. If I say which tribes, location is revealed.

Dazraell

I feel they will probably decide to use Hogwarts again and focus on things that were previously lacking like school life, House Cup, more unique content with houses, Quidditch, etc

That being said, I wouldn't be surprised if they would try to come up with an idea of Triwizard Tournament-like school tournament, which could allow players to travel to different schools by portkey or something like that

As to answer your question, I think Mahoutokoro would be an interesting setting

Last edited:

mcjmetroid

I don't see it even moving from Hogwarts entirely but an addition of a new school or a few would be awesome.

Didn't Spiderman 2 use new York again? I never played it but
A cleaned up version of Hogwarts would be the best bet but add on dramatically to it.

Think Tears of the Kingdom design.

Nankatsu

Gold Member
Uagadou. The dream game for many people.

Smirk Smile GIF by NBC

simpatico

Ilvermorny: A detailed account of this school isn't available at this time, but based on the map revealed on Pottermore it's the American school of witchcraft and wizardry located on the East Coast. Rowling previously revealed that, though it's not in New York, "indigenous magic was important in the founding of the school. If I say which tribes, location is revealed.
We really considering a game that takes place inside a wigwam? I think Hogwarts is the way to go a second time.

Last edited:

Jayjayhd34

I feel they will probably decide to use Hogwarts again and focus on things that were previously lacking like school life, House Cup, more unique content with houses, Quidditch, etc

That being said, I wouldn't be surprised if they would try to come up with an idea of Triwizard Tournament-like school tournament, which could allow players to travel to different schools by portkey or something like that

As to answer your question, I think Mahoutokoro would be an interesting setting

They did the house cup you have get it when the finish main story.

Fake

IMO should still be in Hogwarts, but based on that event with bring wizard schools for a championship.

Saber

Gold Member
Either Mahoutokoro or Durmstrang. Specially Durmstrang for having a director who was loyal to Voldermort, that kinda makes it a sort of bad reputation school, just like people in the series does with Slytherin.

The least one I would choose would be Castelobruxo. Its implied that thanks to its tropical nature, Care of Magical Creatures is heavy focused there. So even though I'm a brazilian myself, I hate this teaching on Hogwarts.

Last edited:

adamsapple

Or is it just one of Phil's balls in my throat?
It should stay in Hogwarts, set in a different timeline and completely different cast of characters.

RJMacready73

Simps for Amouranth
For the sequel they need to go full MMO imo, keep the original castle and grounds, hogsmeade etc cause those are perfect and literally turn it into a place people can go hang out in, quest together, do classes together and expand outward to other locations areas via the floo network, obvious example being Diagon Alley.

People want to inhabit this world and escape to Hogwarts and basically live in it so why not give them that option with an always on, MMO that potter fans can enjoy with other potter fans, no brainer in my book tbh

Kurotri

They need to flesh out Hogwarts. A ton more. I felt like after the novelty wears off, you realize how relatively small the castle feels. There's not much to actually see or do in the castle. I want way more out of it. More dense, more places to find, mazes, traps, random side quests. The castle should be an "open world game" in itself so to speak. The outside of the castle was pretty cool, but it was needlessly large and I definitely would've liked if they focused more on the castle than the outside world. I assume that that is what they'll do, I'd be disappointed if we went to another school before giving us the best Hogwarts possible.

After that I really wouldn't care which one they'd choose, all of them sound cool in their own way, except the Japanese one because apparently the school is kinda tiny.

Tsaki

Personally, Durmstrang. I just really love heavy Gothic aesthetics with a sense of dread around it. You might say that's Hogwarts, but I don't care. I want more of it.

l6yRIa1.jpg

But if they add another school, it will be Ilvermorny. Makes sense to have better marketing connection to the US and tie-in with the (dogshit) Fantastic Beasts movies and lore.

Belthazar

I don't think there's a chance they'll ditch Hogwarts. At most they'll just make you an exchange student for a trimester somewhere else for a change of pace. But Hogwarts is just too important for the marketing of the game, so players will spend most of their time there in the inevitable sequel.

An interesting pitch for the game would be for your class to be the test-pilot for an exchange program where you'll spend the first trimester at Beauxbatons, second at Durmstrang, third at Ilvermorny and the last one at Hogwarts to tie it all together. Would be a lot of fun to have 4 smaller open worlds throughout the game. And I feel like they could pull it off with a big enough budget (warranted after how much of a success it was).

Last edited:

FunkMiller

Gold Member
Fuck all those other ones.

I want the School Of Wollomaroomaroolaroo in Australia.

You learn two fucken' spells: FuckOffCunticus and BeerusAppearus.

Everyone wears trakkie dakks, thongs and an AFL t-shirt. Not one of the gay teams from SA though!

Last edited:

mdkirby

East coast USA, assuming it’s set immediately after the first. That era in the US would be interesting, and more “different” feeling than elsewhere in Europe. Constantinople/turkey would be interesting too.

Dazraell

They did the house cup you have get it when the finish main story.
I meant the whole system tied to House Cup where you're gaining points for doing certain activities, or losing them for getting caught on something and for doing bad things. Theoretically this could be a good basis for a proper reputation system, which in my opinion Hogwarts Legacy clearly lacked and what sequel could really benefit having

Last edited:

Comandr

Africa would be my first choice followed by Japan. But I think for a new "mainline" HP game those choices would be too alienating for most people as a second entry. It would need to be something familiar to people to garner the same interest and reverence as the first one did. One reason people loved HL was because having read the books or grown up with the series, it was really fun to be able to walk around and see the castle and all of the familiar locations like Hogsmeade.

I could see the locations I mentioned working in maybe... the third or fourth game, after they've had time to explore Hogwarts once or twice and maybe a more familiar location like Ilvermorny.

Krathoon

Oh yeah. They totally should do stories with the other schools. Actually be creative. It would be a great idea.

Have a save the world story in a whole other location.

StereoVsn

Yep, this would be the one that makes most sense. Reuse some of the Hogwarts assets but introduce things folks expected out of it like mentioned.

And yeah, tournament and Quidditch would allow travel to other locations.

Personally I wouldn’t mind seeing the other two European schools.

Dazraell

There was already an old Quiddich video game that took place at other schools.

EA did it.
If you're referring to Quidditch World Cup game, the only school they had in it was Hogwarts. Each of the other locations were actually stadiums of national teams

Krathoon

If you're referring to Quidditch World Cup game, the only school they had in it was Hogwarts. Each of the other locations were actually stadiums of national teams
That was what I was talking about. The stadiums are at other schools. The actual schools are not in the game.

They shouldn't concentrate on fully going to another school (for any long period of the game), but if they were to briefly side quest there, like they did to azkaban in HL say, that would be ok

But making entire new schools, or at least large parts of them, to an already pretty bloated HL game, would be overkill. They will never drop Hogwarts as main location

I'd much prefer them to warp 50ish years ahead, trim lots of shite and add to hogswarts itself. I have my perfect idea of what I'd like, but it's probably too long a post!

IFireflyl

Gold Member
I voted for Beauxbatons and Durmstrang. Beauxbatons because only hotties are allowed. Durmstrang because it's caged in so much mystery, and I would love to see what makes it spit out so many dark wizards.

Japan is tolerant of other races in terms of visitors, but their population is over 98% Japanese. I'm not sure how you could have the setting in Japan without forcing diversity, otherwise virtually every student and teacher would be Japanese. And if you're okay with that, then Japan is great. I just prefer the cultural mingling, and Mahoutokoro is the school that would be least likely to engage in that.

Dazraell

That was what I was talking about. The stadiums are at other schools. The actual schools are not in the game.
I was replaying this game last year and I could swear these were national stadiums of teams playing Quidditch like one we had during the beginning of the Goblet of Fire. The setup was that characters you picked during the Hogwarts Quidditch Cup received tickets for World Cup and these were played by professional players at their national stadiums, not students and their schools

Edgelord79

Gold Member
Wherever is fine with me. I would like a much darker game if possible.

Other than that really enjoyed it and would support another enthusiastically.

Top Bottom