• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Would you rather go to Hogwarts or Ilvermorny? (Harry Potter)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Cheerilee

I assume this is a reference to what is happening IRL? Because J.K. Rowling /is/ getting heat for her attempt to include Native culture from Natives who really are saying "What are you doing stealing our culture? Get lost and stop associating with us."

Yeah, that was my own editorial based on real-life events.

Fou-Lu

As a Canadian, I can't help but chuckle that my wand ended up being Maple. With a phoenix feather core of course.

FelixOrion

Poet Centuriate
Where the Greek school at? Imma go to Greek magic school. We invented magic.

Semi-related side-note, but I'm half-surprised Rowling didn't mix the idea of Greek-letter secret societies (the fraternities and sororities of North America's universities and colleges) with her concept of a wizarding school house, which is already somewhat similar.

DrForester

Kills Photobucket
Dawns on me that another plus for Ilvermorny is that, being located in Massachusetts, it's quite likely that every dorm has its own Dunkin Doughnuts.

Fusebox

Banned
Where the Greek school at? Imma go to Greek magic school. We invented magic.

It isn't around anymore, they demolished it in 1980.

It's ok though, the Government hasn't realise it was demolished so everybody who worked there is still being paid an annual wage to maintain the building!

MisterHero

I'd got to Ilvermorny to play Quadpot. Plus I bet I could get in even if I'm just a muggle or squib. I'm probably a squib.

Imagine signing into Pottermore and finding out you're a squib

would quidditch still be a unisexual stateside as well? as a kid i never thought of that but looking back now i wonder why quidditch was always for both sexes on a team instead of two separate leagues.

also i think it'd be cool to find out what the history of quidditch was, it'd be interesting to see if it was wizards inspired by muggles with their sports since quidditch is a combination of mostly soccer (esp. with the world cup), baseball (beaters and bludgers), and basketball with the hoops.

GAMEPROFF

Banned
would quidditch still be a unisexual stateside as well? as a kid i never thought of that but looking back now i wonder why quidditch was always for both sexes on a team instead of two separate leagues.

also i think it'd be cool to find out what the history of quidditch was, it'd be interesting to see if it was wizards inspired by muggles with their sports since quidditch is a combination of mostly soccer (esp. with the world cup), baseball (beaters and bludgers), and basketball with the hoops.

Quidditch is around since 1150.

Cheerilee

JKR wrote a book to raise money for charity called "Quidditch Through the Ages". It describes the birth and evolution of the sport. Stuff like how the Bludgers were added to the game after wizards started throwing rocks at each other, and how the Golden Snitch came about because a wizard once threw a rare bird into the arena and yelled out that he was offering a bribe to anyone who could catch it.

Your local library might have a copy.

HStallion

Now what's the next step in your master plan?
I was always a bit curious why the world's governments, who seem to have some knowledge of the wizarding world, never really got involved. I mean I know the books touch on this and I'm sure there are other sources of info but you would have thought some government would have basically just held Wizard families hostage or something to get them to work for them. Like state sponsored Alchemists in Full Metal Alchemist.

JKR wrote a book to raise money for charity called "Quidditch Through the Ages". It describes the birth and evolution of the sport. Stuff like how the Bludgers were added to the game after wizards started throwing rocks at each other, and how the Golden Snitch came about because a wizard once threw a rare bird into the arena and yelled out that he was offering a bribe to anyone who could catch it.

Your local library might have a copy.
I remember that book when I was a kid, been such a long time I musta lost my fuckin copy of it

Cheerilee

I was always a bit curious why the world's governments, who seem to have some knowledge of the wizarding world, never really got involved. I mean I know the books touch on this and I'm sure there are other sources of info but you would have thought some government would have basically just held Wizard families hostage or something to get them to work for them. Like state sponsored Alchemists in Full Metal Alchemist.

The Ministry of Magic pretends to serve the British Parliament, but they just reveal themselves exclusively to the Prime Minister (and they laughed at the idea of him outing them), and then they bitchslap him into doing whatever serves their own agenda. It's like the Prime Minister gets sworn into office, and then the Lizard People approach and casually inform him about how he's a puppet and they're the real rulers of the world. But they're benevolent rulers, so going to back off and let him enjoy his little illusion of power.

At the start of Half-Blood Prince, the Prime Minister was afraid to get a visit from the non-threatening Fudge, and made a meek excuse about expecting a phone call from Obama, and Fudge was all "Oh, you don't need to worry about that, we already took care of it. We fucked with Obama's brain, and now he's going to phone you later. It will be totally his idea." Fudge talked about replacing some of the Prime Minister's closest aides, and the PM protested this unwanted interference, and Fudge was all "Oh, the guy you just asked us not to remove was the mole we already planted in your organization. Means we're right, bitch. Moving on..."

Wizards have a ridiculous tactical advantage against muggles. They have entire towns that are guarded against muggle perception (muggles can't see them, and can't even perceive a gap in their perception), they can see through walls, they can teleport, they can disarm, they can incapacitate, they can re-write the minds of muggle leaders, it seems that the only limits in wizard power over muggles are the limits that other wizards set. It's been suggested that WW2 was just a cover story for Gellert Grindelwald's attempt to reveal the Wizarding World to muggles and have wizards directly rule over muggles for their own good. The pro-secrecy side won (after Dumbledore grudgingly joined them), so "Make up some cover story about how this was all Hitler's fault, that guy was a dick anyways."

If muggles tried to become a serious threat to wizards, it would end badly for the muggles.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom