• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

J.K Rowling Unveils the magic school names for U.S.A, Brazil, Japan, and Africa

Status
Not open for further replies.

Pilgrimzero

was it a Drop Bear by chance ?

1024px-Dropbear.jpg

Better send in Nextwave!

keuja

I'm digging the Uagadou setting. The most powerful wizards probably come from there since this was where magic was born.

DrForester

Kills Photobucket
I'm digging the Uagadou setting. The most powerful wizards probably come from there since this was where magic was born.

I'm curious to learn more about them. Wandless magic as the norm is pretty cool, but I doubt it is as powerful. Olivander said that having something to channel the magic through increases the wizards power, and even the other races like Goblins and Centaurs would like wands to increase their magical power..

Platy

I'm curious to learn more about them. Wandless magic as the norm is pretty cool, but I doubt it is as powerful. Olivander said that having something to channel the magic through increases the wizards power, and even the other races like Goblins and Centaurs would like wands to increase their magical power..

Would an unicorn need a wand do increase their magical power ?

....a wand made of unicorn horn ?

Trojita

Rapid Response Threadmaker

Magic is finicky with power levels and stuff, so who knows. You could have a "magic person with two muggle parents" person that has a lot of magic potential.

Azkaban was 17 years ago. I don't think Cho Chang is a good name but it's not like you could just whip out your smartphone to look up Chinese names on Wikipedia.

Azkaban came out so long ago that encyclopedias and libraries didn't even exist! Kids these days got it too easy, man, I tell you, whipping out their library cards and borrowing the latest edition of the Britannica like it's nothing!

KevinCow

Banned
So there's only one magical school in all of North America? I don't think Rowling understands how big our continent is.

So there's only one magical school in all of North America? I don't think Rowling understands how big our continent is.

Be nice if there was a School in the Rockies somewhere.

Obviously we don't know what Rowling is going to do or not do, but ideally there would be an East Coast school, a West Coast school, a Southern school, and a Midwest school. Maybe the Rockies School instead of the Midwest school.

Texas would have their own school because Texas.

DrForester

Kills Photobucket
Obviously we don't know what Rowling is going to do or not do, but ideally there would be an East Coast school, a West Coast school, a Southern school, and a Midwest school. Maybe the Rockies School instead of the Midwest school.

Texas would have their own school because Texas.

There might be, but it seems she's only concerned with the top 11 in the world.

I have it on good authority from Rowling herself that the Australian school was closed after a Care of Magical Creatures class killed everyone.

I think the survivors were transfered to Ilvermorny, but aussies got annoyed they had to learn latin, so they made a rogue school.

anaron

Azkaban was 17 years ago. I don't think Cho Chang is a good name but it's not like you could just whip out your smartphone to look up Chinese names on Wikipedia.
lol as if 1999 is a good excuse.

you make it sound like the age of the pigeon post

Haly

One day I realized that sadness is just another word for not enough coffee.
lol as if 1999 is a good excuse.

you make it sound like the age of the pigeon post
The standards were different back then.

The people criticizing mahoutokoro right now wouldn't even have had a public voice in 1999. This wouldn't have been an issue on anyone's mind except English/Chinese bilinguals in isolated incidents.

Bronx-Man

Banned
J.K. said most wizards get homeschooled during childhood. It's not like every single wizard or witch goes to one school per continent. And Illvermony is one of the "Great Schools", aka the Ivy Leagues of the wizarding world.

Boss Doggie

all my loli wolf companions are so moe
Magic is finicky with power levels and stuff, so who knows. You could have a "magic person with two muggle parents" person that has a lot of magic potential.

I'd argue voldy's probably shit and only lasted long because of horcruxes

Given the mention of the school's address - which really, only wizards and witches need - I suspect Uagadou's location is a full on secret even within the community, as such, which is also why its national location is a bit more obscured.

Otherwise, pretty neat setting fluff.

Bronx-Man

Banned
Given the mention of the school's address - which really, only wizards and witches need - I suspect Uagadou's location is a full on secret even within the community, as such, which is also why its national location is a bit more obscured.

Otherwise, pretty neat setting fluff.

JK just confirmed on Twitter that it's in Uganda. So the thread title should probably be changed.

DrForester

Kills Photobucket
I wonder if the Japanese school does that too.

Still hoping for magic guns in the American school.

Probably have a school shooting every year thanks the National Magical Rifle Association insisting that students be allowed to arm themselves.

foxtrot3d

Banned
J.K. said most wizards get homeschooled during childhood. It's not like every single wizard or witch goes to one school per continent. And Illvermony is one of the "Great Schools", aka the Ivy Leagues of the wizarding world.

Ivy League school for acceptance of seven or eleven year olds? What are they looking at your Kindergarten hand paintings?

injurai

Banned

I never thought of it like that. HP's massive amount of wealth explains why he got into Hogwarts.

Trojita

I'd argue voldy's probably shit and only lasted long because of horcruxes

He wasn't a "insert derogatory term for a wizard born with two muggle parents" shit there needs to be a better name for that, that isn't seen as prejudiced in the magic world. Don't know if that is possible though.

I'd agree that he probably wasn't even in the top 5 of powerful wizards. He just had a penchant for doing dark arts without remorse and procuring ancient artifacts.

I never thought of it like that. HP's massive amount of wealth explains why he got into Hogwarts.

Was Harry really that rich though? I don't think they ever explained what his parents jobs were, but I figured that money lasted so long because it was his parents savings/checkings and since Harry didn't have to worry about paying for mortgage, utilities, food, and clothes, it lasted a lot longer than it should've if it was for an adult with a family.

He mainly used it for school supplies and sweets on the train.

Einchy

semen stains the mountaintops
He wasn't a "insert derogatory term for a wizard born with two muggle parents" shit there needs to be a better name for that, that isn't seen as prejudiced in the magic world. Don't know if that is possible though.

I'd agree that he probably wasn't even in the top 5 of powerful wizards. He just had a penchant for doing dark arts without remorse and procuring ancient artifacts.

Didn't he go toe to toe with Dumbledore?

I've only seen the movies once and that was years ago but I seem to recall him being crazy powerful.

DrForester

Kills Photobucket
I'd say he was one of the world's most powerful Wizards. He was an expert duelist, knew about all sorts of obscure magic. He was incredibly powerful. In the end he only lost because of a loophole.

I've only seen the movies once and that was years ago but I seem to recall him being crazy powerful.

He was able to keep up with Dumbledore one-on-one, though Dumbledore probably would have won had he had more time, and not been distracted during the fight with having to protect Harry.

Haly

Doesn't explain Weasleys, or Hermione.

I think you go to school if you just happen to be close enough, or, you know, the chosen one. I bet there's some law like: Once a magical child reaches a certain age, either they attend school or their parents/guardians assume responsibility for their education.

Trojita

I'd say he was kind of outmatched. The fucker relies too much on killing curses which are kind of OP.

The duel began when Voldemort entered the Ministry, to find out if the Prophecy was destroyed and to try once again to kill Harry Potter, who had been chasing Bellatrix Lestrange from the Department of Mysteries and was then in the Ministry Atrium. Dumbledore, following Harry, intervened as Voldemort was about to kill Harry. Enchanting the statues from the Fountain of Magical Brethren to protect Harry, immobilise Bellatrix, and warn important Ministry officials, Dumbledore proceeded to take on the Dark Lord. Voldemort responded by Apparating near the fountain pool and firing a curse at Dumbledore, which Dumbledore easily dodged by Disapparating and Apparating by the fountain.

After Voldemort missed Dumbledore, Dumbledore then sent a powerful spell at Voldemort, one which the Dark Lord was forced to block with a Silver shield; the spell did not harm the shield, but made a deep gong-like sound as it was deflected. Voldemort realised that the nature of the spell was not meant to kill him, and, surprised, tried once again to kill Dumbledore; this time, the animated centaur statue intercepted the curse and was destroyed. Dumbledore then cast a fiery rope around Voldemort, which Voldemort transfigured into a snake and sent after Dumbledore. Voldemort again Disapparated and Apparated in the middle of the fountain, sending another Killing Curse at Dumbledore. The snake and the curse nearly struck simultaneously, but Fawkes the phoenix sacrificed himself by diving into the path of the curse. He burst into flames and was immediately reborn as a tiny, featherless phoenix.

Dumbledore then, simultaneously, caused the snake to vanish while raising the water from the fountain to surround Voldemort like a sphere of molten glass. Voldemort struggled unsuccessfully to throw off the suffocating sheet of water, until he finally Disapparated out. After a brief pause where Dumbledore showed his first sign of alarm during the duel, Voldemort attempted to possess Harry, in the hopes that Dumbledore would sacrifice his pupil to kill the Dark Lord. However, the power of Harry's love made it impossible for him to possess Harry, and he fled, taking Bellatrix with him, but not before he was seen by Ministry officials who had just Apparated into the Ministry. The duel was over, Harry was saved, and the Ministry could no longer deny the fact that Voldemort had returned.

Trojita

I always figured Hogwarts was free.

Money to pay for it comes out of Wizard Taxes.

Also fucking Dumbledore paid those Kitchen Elves $10 a week.

Boss Doggie

all my loli wolf companions are so moe
Hogwarts doesn't have tuition fees iirc, only materials like books and uniforms and apparently they can be costly hence why some use hand-me-downs

with that said you can't also just enroll in Hogwarts right? You have to be invited?

yeah, it's usually him just going for dark magic and using items that made him seem powerful

Trojita

I'm probably not the only one that read the Weasley's home life and was like wtf they aren't poor. They seemed like middle middle class.

Verdre

Unconfirmed Member
I'd say he was kind of outmatched. The fucker relies too much on killing curses which are kind of OP.

I think you have to keep in mind that Dumbledore was trying to disable him, while Voldemort was trying to kill. Spamming unblockable killing spells seems like thing to do.

I think it's pretty clear that Voldemort, like Dumbledore, is a step above normal wizards and witches. Rowling kind of mirrors in small scale the Voldemort vs Dumbledore duel when McGonagall fights Snape in Deathly Hallows and in the same book he's shown fighting McGonagall, Slughorn, and Kingsley with none of them able to get a hit in.

And in Chamber of Secrets Dumbledore himself says:

Dumbledore said:
Of course, he was probably the most brilliant student Hogwarts has ever seen.

Haly

I'm probably not the only one that read the Weasley's home life and was like wtf they aren't poor. They seemed like middle middle class.

Magic takes care of all basic necessities so even the poorest wizard is middle class in the muggle world.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom