• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Wkd BO 07•07-09•17 - Minions cede dominion over box office, Homecoming KING

Wayne's World I believe.

Adjusted for inflation, The Blues Brothers actually beats it out by around $8M

The Blues Brothers: $113M unadjusted, $331M adjusted

Wayne's World: $183M unadjusted, $323M adjusted

Harold is the all time loser at $10k, with It's Pat in second at $60k.

WaffleTaco

Wants to outlaw technological innovation.
International Gross

Spider-Man 1 - $418,002,176
Spider-Man 2 - $410,180,516
Spider-Man 3 - $554,341,323
The Amazing Spider-Man 1 - $495,900,000
The Amazing Spider-Man 2 - $506,128,390

Guardians of the Galaxy 1 - $440,152,029
Guardians of the Galaxy 2 - $472,199,043

Iron Man 1 - $266,762,121
Iron Man 2 - $311,500,000
Iron Man 3 - $805,797,258 (Post Avengers)
Captain America: Civil War - $745,220,146

Okay now hear me out. Spider-Man has been pretty consistent with $500 million international gross. The difference with Homecoming here is though the inclusion of Iron Man. It might just be a cameo but the point is that Iron Man has a HUGE appeal post Avengers and this will work for Spider-Man Homecoming as well. The marketing has also put Iron Man front and center which will work out for them, I am sure.

So that said, while I have already predicted Spider-Man at $950 million worldwide, I just don't get the posts that still doubt the power of Spider Man + Iron Man team up here.

At minimum, I would expect $300 million from domestic and $600 million from international for Homecoming, which is one of the best Spider-Man movie released in a decade if we go by RT percentage.

Well foreign currency exchange is less than what it was a few years ago, which will effect it. Foreign audiences might not care that much for Spider-Man/won't recognize if it's quality or not. Iron Man 3 was only a year post-Avengers so people were still hyped for it. Civil-War was basically and Avengers-lite movie. Basically there are numerous reasons to doubt why Iron-Man being included could have an effect at all. As of right now, it's still only a little bit above Guardians 2 opening weekend, and its total gross so far is at 857 mil. Marvel movies as of lately have been very front-loaded, which means there could be some drop-offs in the coming weeks. We won't be able to predict accurately until next week.

DomSupermanDive.gifv
HobbsMovingaTorpedo.webm

I said somewhat realistic ¯_(ツ)_/¯

Slayven

Adjusted for inflation, The Blues Brothers actually beats it out by around $8M

The Blues Brothers: $113M unadjusted, $331M adjusted

Wayne's World: $183M unadjusted, $323M adjusted

Harold_%28film%29.jpg

Jesus, what was i doing in 2008 that i didn't know this existed

EhoaVash

Wow Cars 3 flopped hard

It made World-wide $193million vs its $175 million budget damn.

But lol we will get a Cars 4 anyway cause of merchandise sales.

I want the next Spiderman movie to have Carnage as the villain.

Yeah I know he's being saved for Sony's venom movie but screw it. I would love to see Marvel's take on Carnage.

Chamber

love on your sleeve
Fast 7 had a boost sadly due to pauls death. So 8 dropping wasnt a surprise

Definitely possible the drop from 7 to 8 was simply the franchise regressing to the mean. Fast 5, 6, and 8 all performed remarkably similar at the domestic box office. Really curious to see how 9 does.

Thankfully, It's Pat was able to recover any losses from hundreds of 2am showings on USA Network.

Apparently, a movie in which Cuba Gooding, Jr. plays someone named Cromer.

Damn, that guy is the MC Hammer of movie roles: nothing but bad choices after making it big.

Eh, he had a few good roles for a while, but he totally screwed the pooch, and wound-up doing straight to DVD action films back in the day. At least he's rebounded recently.

AndyVirus

Wow Cars 3 flopped hard

It made World-wide $193million vs its $175 million budget damn.

It's only out in about half the territories so far. Out in UK, Japan & Korea this coming week for example. Germany & Italy not until September for some reason.

Nev

Banned
How and why in the everliving fuck does Cars 3 get a 185m budget.

Illumination movies are much bigger than Pixar nowadays and they cost less than half the money.

My god, what a flop company of subpar sequels Pixar has become. Disney might as well drop them now that they have a better and more succesful animation studio.

kswiston

Well foreign currency exchange is less than what it was a few years ago, which will effect it.

Standarizing for today's currency exchange rates all of the Spider-man films except for Spider-Man 2 would be in the low $400M range overseas. Spider-Man 2 was lower.

Of course the older films had bigger attendance.

Transformers and Fast & Furious are the kind of dumb fuckawful that need to crossover so we finally have a good enough excuse to just launch the nukes and end it all.

Schlorgan

Illumination movies are much bigger than Pixar nowadays and they cost half the money.

My god, what a flop company of subpar sequels Pixar has become. Disney might as well drop them now that they have a better and more succesful animation studio.
Depends on how Coco does.

Inside Out two years ago also did very well.

Transformers and Fast & Furious are the kind of dumb fuckawful that need to crossover so we finally have a good enough excuse to just launch the nukes and end it all.
How dare you insult Fast and Furious by comparing those two.

BumRush

I want cyborgs in a fast and furious movie

You're telling me - with the shit they can accomplish and withstand - that Dom and Hobbs AREN'T cyborgs? Bullshit.

Illumination movies are much bigger than Pixar nowadays and they cost less than half the money.

You live for hyperbole, don't you?

J_Viper

If you really consider the Fast franchise to be the same level of trash that the Transformers franchise is, you haven't seen either.

Though I agree that the F&F characters should be integrated into both the TF series and the Pirates movies

It's only out in about half the territories so far. Out in UK, Japan & Korea this coming week for example. Germany & Italy not until September for some reason.
I think it has to do with summer holidays in Europe so movies getting released mid-summer are pushed back until September - but people living in Germany or Italy can verify if I'm correct or not.

Jigorath

Banned

Incredibles 2 is going to make ridiculous amounts of money.

GAMEPROFF

Banned
I think it has to do with summer holidays in Europe so movies getting released mid-summer are pushed back until September - but people living in Germany or Italy can verify if I'm correct or not.
Germans just dont like to go to the cinema in the summer.
We are stupid or something.

AndersK

If you really consider the Fast franchise to be the same level of trash that the Transformers franchise is, you haven't seen either.

Though I agree that the F&F characters should be integrated into both the TF series and the Pirates movies

At this point I'm cool with Groot evolving into Dom for the ultimate family moment. Tony could design a redicoulous car for him.
Also Hobbs coldclocks Thanos with Cap's shield.

Pein

Banned
Fast 7 had a boost sadly due to pauls death. So 8 dropping wasnt a surprise
Yeah everything about that movies release was a super emotional. From the marketing, press and the Charlie puth song. You had to go see it because it was a farewell to Paul.

The series is never gonna hit that high again.

Chamber

love on your sleeve

Man, can you imagine Dom driving Bumblebee around? Shit would print money.

I still think Spidey should have dropped last week. That holiday box office boost would have been a nice start. Still think there's a fair chance of my boy crossing $900M WW, though.
You're both right. At least Transformers managed one watchable movie before it went to hell, which is more than you can say for F&F.
Hope you're wearing proper gear, don't want to see you get burned by your own hot take

Rewatched Incredibles the other week and man has the animation aged hard in that movie. Also the story and characters weren't as good as I remembered. Oh well.

The first teaser was better then the whole movie imo.

It's completely forgettable

Because Pixar actually cares about the animation unlike Illumation who's much cheaper, and produces films with cheap Foreign money.

Also no way Disney is dropping Pixar, that's overreaction. Cars is a huge juggernaut of merchandising sales and largely got a sequel in the first place because of Lasseter (the series is his "dream project" so to say), and aside from TGD all of their films have made huge dough. Last years Finding Dory was very well-received, and proved that the original Nemo was a well-remembered classic.

Rewatched Incredibles the other week and man has the animation aged hard in that movie. Also the story and characters weren't as good as I remembered. Oh well.

Saying a movie's animation hasn't aged well, is not really a great criticism, since that's to be expected with CGI animated films, otherwise the original Toy Story would not be regarded as a classic, outside of being of the first of its kind. Plus personally I think The Incredibles holds up very well, because like most of Pixar's best films, it has huge adult appeal, of course that's what I think anyway.

Top Bottom