• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Wkd BO 07•07-09•17 - Minions cede dominion over box office, Homecoming KING

Glad Transformers crashed and burned. It's almost like Meta and RT scores are helping towards box office failures and successes this year.

Took long enough.

Speaking of which, what movie to you think triggered this mass "come to Jesus" moment from the general public? BvS? Suicide Squad?

Timu

Transformers The Last Knight is doing worse than I expected...then again it sucking didn't help but man, I expected it to be over 600 million by now.

Chamber

love on your sleeve
Nah. People are finally tired now. Four was the limit. We can't go any further. There's no gas left.

Yeah, the RT effect is being way overstated I think. 5 Transformers movies in the last decade with only the first considered to be decent. Superhero fatigue might be bullshit but franchise fatigue isn't.

Corpsepyre

Banned
Took long enough.

Speaking of which, what movie to you think triggered this mass "come to Jesus" moment from the general public? BvS? Suicide Squad?

Definitely not Suicide Squad. If anything, that film was review-proof. Made a tonne at the BO, and it didn't even open in China.

Most people talking about Homecoming and WW, but Baby Driver seems to have some staying power at the box office. Only a 38% drop is awesome. We need more movies like Baby Driver.

Principate

Saint Titanfall
Yeah, the RT effect is being way overstated I think. 5 Transformers movies in the last decade with only the first considered to be decent. Superhero fatigue might be bullshit but franchise fatigue isn't.
I mean 4 came off 3 which was all in better than 2 though still pretty bad. 5 comes off 4 which despite making making was received very lukewarmly. Bad reviews or not only so many times people will show up after being disapointed. It's also not well received which is likely why it's performing worse than pirates which is in a similar situation but actually has good word of mouth.

It really is crazy just how RT proof Suicide Squad was. Harley and The Joker's power >>>>

Had it been certified fresh, it definitely would have hit $1B.

Good job, Baby Driver.

baby_driver_ansel_elgort_by_digi_matrix-dbetyfs.gif

Kasper

I believe they did at one point, at least for the movie merch. There was a deal a while back that was something like allowing Sony to make more movies but Marvel gets the merch rights.

They sold off the merchandising rights ahead of The Amazing Spider-Man in 2011 because Sony as a whole was about to bleed out from the electronics divisions doing extremely poorly. In return they got the full rights to Spider-Man in terms of movies, whereas before Marvel probably either had some say or got an unknown slice of the pie.

Sony has since admitted that this was a very short-sighted plan, but back then it did look extremely dire for the company, so it makes some sort of sense.

I wonder if Sony's plan to have a separate Spider-Man-universe for the various smaller characters and villains will mean they can actually make merchandise themselves through some clever loophole, because then this whole ordeal starts to make a lot more sense.

HpTCJnv.gif

$1B was never in the cards, not without China and not even with a 100% RT score.

Seriously. What the hell kind of spin even was that? Especially post-a movie with Batman, Supes, AND WW together failing to get even Close to a bil. DCGAF out of their minds sometimes

Busaiku

I wonder if Sony's plan to have a separate Spider-Man-universe for the various smaller characters and villains will mean they can actually make merchandise themselves through some clever loophole, because then this whole ordeal starts to make a lot more sense.
Unless they come up with original characters, they'd still be Marvel's.

GhaleonEB

Baby Driver is going to top $100m world wide. Didn't see that coming a week ago. Is that a first for an Edgar Wright film?

JB1981

Mojo's adjusted numbers aren't comparable between pre-3D and post-3D openings.

IMAX and PLF surpluses only factor into the first 1-3 weeks of a run for a big film. 3D shares tend to be negligible outside of blockbusters, and decrease over the course of a run. As such, big films have higher average ticket prices than mojo suggests.

Older films also lacked all of these surplus charges. Therefore, adjusted openings on Mojo for all blockbuster films prior to 3D are underestimated.

Spider-Man 1 would have opened around $200M by today's standards if we make the (incorrect) assumption that its venue count would have been the same as 2002, and if would have largely missed a Thursday/Midnight preview.

A 2017 film with the same momentum as Spider-Man 1 would have probably been in the $215-230M range.

Jesus CHRIST. The opening was THAT big? That's incredible!

They sold off the merchandising rights ahead of The Amazing Spider-Man in 2011 because Sony as a whole was about to bleed out from the electronics divisions doing extremely poorly. In return they got the full rights to Spider-Man in terms of movies, whereas before Marvel probably either had some say or got an unknown slice of the pie.

Sony has since admitted that this was a very short-sighted plan, but back then it did look extremely dire for the company, so it makes some sort of sense.

Ah, I see. Thanks for clarifying :)

How do the furious movies still keep chugging along?

Spider-Man: Homecoming sadly looked to be a little frontloaded, still it's a good opening weekend, especially given that it was coming off the heals of TASM2.

Lol at Transformers, not sure it'd be such a great idea to reboot this series now, right Paramount?

Principate

Saint Titanfall
FF movies only started to be considered good at 5. A lot of people just plain didn't bother paying attention to it until that point.

If Transformers has a great soft reboot that really changed thins up a similar thing could happen.

Chamber

love on your sleeve

They're actually pretty good as far as blockbusters go. That being said, 8 dropped 35% from 7 looking at the domestic numbers. If 9 does sub-$200m domestic, I wouldn't be shocked. We'll see if the overseas numbers slow down with the next one.

They're actually pretty good as far as blockbusters go. That being said, 8 dropped 35% from 7 looking at the domestic numbers. If 9 does sub-$200m domestic, I wouldn't be shocked. We'll see if the overseas numbers slow down with the next one.
Just opens the door for them to go to space in part 10. All according to plan.

International Gross

Spider-Man 1 - $418,002,176
Spider-Man 2 - $410,180,516
Spider-Man 3 - $554,341,323
The Amazing Spider-Man 1 - $495,900,000
The Amazing Spider-Man 2 - $506,128,390

Guardians of the Galaxy 1 - $440,152,029
Guardians of the Galaxy 2 - $472,199,043

Iron Man 1 - $266,762,121
Iron Man 2 - $311,500,000
Iron Man 3 - $805,797,258 (Post Avengers)
Captain America: Civil War - $745,220,146

Okay now hear me out. Spider-Man has been pretty consistent with $500 million international gross. The difference with Homecoming here is though the inclusion of Iron Man. It might just be a cameo but the point is that Iron Man has a HUGE appeal post Avengers and this will work for Spider-Man Homecoming as well. The marketing has also put Iron Man front and center which will work out for them, I am sure.

So that said, while I have already predicted Spider-Man at $950 million worldwide, I just don't get the posts that still doubt the power of Spider Man + Iron Man team up here.

At minimum, I would expect $300 million from domestic and $600 million from international for Homecoming, which is one of the best Spider-Man movie released in a decade if we go by RT percentage.

Azerth

Fast 7 had a boost sadly due to pauls death. So 8 dropping wasnt a surprise

Top Bottom