• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Wkd BO 07•07-09•17 - Minions cede dominion over box office, Homecoming KING

Obviously can't factor in 3D for the older movies, but a little higher than Spider-Man 1 and way below Spider-Man 3's $155M.
I hope if these new movies keep being good Spider man can return to the glory days of the franchise. Seems like after Spider man 3 and Amazing spider man the franchise lacks a lot of steam. After this one being good hopefully it can get back to $150 million opening weekends

For context, the 114m for Raimis first Spider-Man film is about 174m today. Monster opening.

I think many people forget how BIG that movie was. I tried to buy a ticket on a Thursday later in the week and all the showings were still selling out. It was nuts.

NotLiquid

How does this compare to other Spider-Man movies?

If my numbers are correct,

Spider-Man - $114.8M*
Spider-Man 2 - $88M**
Spider-Man 3 - $151M
TASM - $62M**
TASM2 - $91.6M
Homecoming - $117M

*: You might want to adjust this one for inflation. As mentioned above it'd be $174M.
**: These movies opened earlier in the week. Spider-Man 2's six-day performance was $180M while TASM's six-day performance was $137M.

AndyVirus

I thought 257m seemed kind of low compared to Guardians 2 (remembering a 300m+ figure) but that was a cumulative total that included the week earlier European release.

EDIT: Mojo has this

KwUKBpw.png

ZeroX03

Banned
Worldwide Updates:

Spider-Man Homecoming - $257M
Wonder Woman - $746M
Pirates 5 - $734M
Transformers 5 - $495M
Despicable Me 3 - $448M
The Mummy - $385M

Looks like it's officially overtaken Suicide Squad worldwide, that was $745M. It'll settle between SS and BvS.

jon bones

hot hot hanuman-on-man action
so glad Wonder Woman continues to do well

audiences want more great cinematic universe superhero movies & more female directed/led action movies - studios get to work

Come on Spider-Man!Come on Spider-Man!Come on Spider-Man!Come on Spider-Man!Come on Spider-Man!Come on Spider-Man!

<3

Wow good debut for Spider-Man's first movie ever.

it's taken too long, but we finally have one

Chamber

love on your sleeve
Worldwide Updates:

Spider-Man Homecoming - $257M
Wonder Woman - $746M
Pirates 5 - $734M
Transformers 5 - $495M
Despicable Me 3 - $448M
The Mummy - $385M

Is $650m still in the cards for TF5? I know it still has a few territories left but damn, less than $500m after 3 weeks.

Spider-Man 3 being the biggest opening is so damn disappointing. So many people came in expecting so much off the second movie.

Honestly the trailers for SM3 were pretty poor and the attitude among my friends was tepid... but we still all went to see it opening weekend off the strength of Spider-Man 2. Same story with X-Men 3.

Lifeline

I kinda hope Sony tries another spider-man out for their spider-verse movies. I liked Tom Holland, but didn't like the techy, AI partner, iron man style version of his spider-man.

The movie didn't scratch my Spidey itch at all. Even the Amazing movies felt like Spidey. I can't remember, but did we even see him swing across NYC in the movie?

Nah, Sony gets it. Marvel has the rights to merchandising so that's where they'll make (a lot of) money.

I thought Sony never had the toys/merchandise rights for Spider-Man and Marvel always had it, did they get nothing new from this deal?

Principate

Saint Titanfall
Honestly the trailers for SM3 were pretty poor and the attitude among my friends was tepid... but we still all went to see it opening weekend off the strength of Spider-Man 2. Same story with X-Men 3.

Spidy 3 had black suit Spider-man, who knew at the time it would be handled so awfully.

Fun fact, X-Men 3 is the only superhero film ever to open above $100m but finish below $250m. Man of Steel is the only other one to finish below $300m.

jon bones

hot hot hanuman-on-man action
I thought Sony never had the toys/merchandise rights for Spider-Man and Marvel always had it, did they get nothing new from this deal?

that's correct - Marvel gets nothing from the deal outside of Spidey's inclusion in 3 MCU films (CW,IW,A4)

they make the Homecoming movies for free, get no revenue from them & they also lose 1/3 of their yearly slate production for 2 or 3 years (depending on if the rumored Homecoming 3 is real) by replacing a Marvel Studios film w/ a Sony one

Feige you animal

I kinda hope Sony tries another spider-man out for their spider-verse movies. I liked Tom Holland, but didn't like the techy, AI partner, iron man style version of his spider-man.

The movie didn't scratch my Spidey itch at all. Even the Amazing movies felt like Spidey. I can't remember, but did we even see him swing across NYC in the movie?

Marvel get to use Spiderman for their civil war and avengers. Thats it.

I believe they did at one point, at least for the movie merch. There was a deal a while back that was something like allowing Sony to make more movies but Marvel gets the merch rights.

NotLiquid

I'm really pleasantly surprised by Baby Driver's modest drop. Happy to see Edgar Wright finally have a hit on his hands.

Zen Aku

I'm so glad Baby Driver and Spider-Man Homecoming is doing well. Both films are absolutely amazing.

Yay Spidey is officially back!

tomtom94

And to think everyone thought Sony were mad for moving Baby Driver forward.

I fear Homecoming's box office is going to suffer which is a shame because it's a great film.

Despicable Me 3 has already overtaken Cars 3. WW will overtake GotG2. Interesting.

Nothing New with the DM3 thing. Illumination has been drinking Pixars milkshake for several years in a row. They might need to consider cutting their budgets because even with sequel bloat, Illumunation is keeping the budget in check and making gobs of money again.

kswiston

Mojo's adjusted numbers aren't comparable between pre-3D and post-3D openings.

IMAX and PLF surpluses only factor into the first 1-3 weeks of a run for a big film. 3D shares tend to be negligible outside of blockbusters, and decrease over the course of a run. As such, big films have higher average ticket prices than mojo suggests.

Older films also lacked all of these surplus charges. Therefore, adjusted openings on Mojo for all blockbuster films prior to 3D are underestimated.

Spider-Man 1 would have opened around $200M by today's standards if we make the (incorrect) assumption that its venue count would have been the same as 2002, and if would have largely missed a Thursday/Midnight preview.

A 2017 film with the same momentum as Spider-Man 1 would have probably been in the $215-230M range.

Captain Underpants had like no legs at all. I'm really upset by that.

It was obviously a casualty of Dreamworks' sale to Comcast, but damn.

Top Bottom