• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Wkd BO 07•07-09•17 - Minions cede dominion over box office, Homecoming KING

Chamber

love on your sleeve
Holy shit! I hope WB is learning a lot from this movie. Who would've thought a solo WW film would trump Superman and Suicide Squad worldwide and domestically the first live action Superman v Batman film ever? Jesus

It's like everyone forgot WW is an icon in her own right.

kswiston

So as of now Disney owns the top 3 dom ow movies woth beauty and the beast, gotg2, and spiderman

Wonder Woman will end up being number 2 until it gets knocked down a spot by The Last Jedi.

I guess Justice League bumping it to #4 isn't impossible either.

Disney will probably take 3 of the Top 5.

WB will get 1 or 2 in the Top 5.

Sony might get the last slot.

That movie made bank and i expect Justice League to do even better.
BvS made "bank" but it also definitely underperformed. That movie's floor was $1 billion and it didn't even crack $900. It also cost close to half a billion after marketing and distribution. That movie was profitable but the suits at WB couldn't possibly be very happy about it.

WaffleTaco

Wants to outlaw technological innovation.
Captain Underpants had like no legs at all. I'm really upset by that.

It was obviously a casualty of Dreamworks' sale to Comcast, but damn.
It also looked awful and appealed exclusively to boy children.

Homecoming would have hit $175m if it had a Nickelback song.

Nickelback hasn't had a hit in like almost a decade, and the internet not liking that band was the weirdest thing ever.

Man, I can only imagine a world where Baby Driver wasn't called Baby Driver.

On that Earth it's doing exactly the same. It's performance has nothing to do with it's name and everything to do with it being an original movie released during the heart of franchise film season.

Chamber

love on your sleeve
I thought GotG2 would be higher by now. It has a chance of being overtaken by WW and Homecoming.

Oh, not just a chance.

Day 38
Wonder Woman: $368.8m
Guardians 2: $366.4m

71nqQQy.png

BumRush

Wonder Woman will end up being number 2 until it gets knocked down a spot by The Last Jedi.

I guess Justice League bumping it to #4 isn't impossible either.

Disney will probably take 3 of the Top 5.

WB will get 1 or 2 in the Top 5.

Sony might get the last slot.

Swiss, which film ends up most profitable (love that thread)? Last Jedi by a lot?

jayu26

On that Earth it's doing exactly the same. It's performance has nothing to do with it's name and everything to do with it being an original movie released during the heart of franchise film season.
Nah. On that earth I could convince more of friends to give it a shot.

Sorry, but I think this is very wrong.

Some people make judgements on movies very quickly, and the name can have a positive or negative effect. They can discard a movie very fast if the name turns them off.

Just the sheer number of people calling the movie title dumb tells you something. To suggest this has no effect whatsoever I think is just denial. I get that people love the movie, but the casual moviegoer is fickle, and an ill conceived movie title can be enough to turn them away.

kswiston

Swiss, which film ends up most profitable (love that thread)? Last Jedi by a lot?

Probably. I think this year is going to be more cut and dry at the top of that list. Presumably Star Wars on top. Then BatB. Despicable Me 3 or Fast 8 will be #3.

Assuming no big Fall surprises.

Is $600 million even on the table for TF5? This is an Alice 2-level collapse. I love it!

Mexico, Chile, Brazil, and Japan still nees to open. It will depend on how much they drop, but $600M is looking like the upper end.

Falchion

Well deserved for Spiderman, it's the best superhero movie I've ever seen. Can't wait to go back and see it again.

Chamber

love on your sleeve
Oh nice. I was thinking of worldwide but I didn't know that it had passed GotG2 domestic. That's cool.

Worldwide is going to be Justice League, Spider-Man, and Guardians 2 as the top 3. Spidey probably isn't going to top Guardians of the Galaxy domestic.

kswiston

Oh nice. I was thinking of worldwide but I didn't know that it had passed GotG2 domestic. That's cool.

Wonder Woman has no real shot at GotG2 worldwide. It would have to be the highest grossing Hollywood superhero film of all time when it opens in Japan to hit those numbers, and nothing has come close to hitting the Raimi Spider-man films in Japan these past 15 years.

Don't pick on Bruno Mars. Just cuz he steals yo girl don't make him a bad guy.

I'm just being honest. At least 24 Karat Magic makes me feel good and enjoy the few minutes it plays, unlike most of the current big hits which seemed design to depress you to the point of putting a gun in your mouth.

Corpsepyre

Banned
Glad Transformers crashed and burned. It's almost like Meta and RT scores are helping towards box office failures and successes this year.

Top Bottom