• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Will Gamepass lead to bad filler videogames like Netflix has done to tv shows?

rofif

Can’t Git Gud
This could be a good point if they had only spent 2 years making the game. Halo infinites woes are more down to the studio. Not the fact that it launched on gamepass as well.
I would be more happy to pay 60 or 70 for it and get a proper game.
I did finished it in gamepass on pc though but:
-Campaign was bad. Rather short 3 bigger levels and hours of monke corridors. Monke in intro, Monke as every boss. Monke monke monke
-Terrible performance on 3080
-No coop... which would be my main choice to play the game

Crazy they spent so much making this game

Last edited:

Chukhopops

Lol the App Store and console/pc gaming is not the same and shouldn’t be compared. Hence why you are not winning post of the day, champ
What’s interesting is that both the console and PC markets are actually dominated by free to play games (DOTA / CSGO on Steam, Fortnite / Warzone / Apex on consoles), they lead both the activity and revenue rankings. It’s less overwhelming than in the mobile world for sure but the shift has already happened.
Yes. Look at halo infinite
All I see is GAF’s officially voted 2021 GOTY… oh and I see a few people still mad about it?

What about recent racing games launches, which one was the least predatory for MTX, the €79 one or the GP one?

ParaSeoul

Can you point to any game reviewer that gave Halo Infinite a great score because it was on Gamepass?

Why’s nobody similarly overlooking the flaws in Crossfire X ? 😀
No one gave it a good score because it was on game pass,they just said they found it difficult to critique when it was so cheap,it wouldn't matter if a player didn't enjoy it. It was Jeff Gerstmann,who I was referring to.

rofif

Can’t Git Gud
What’s interesting is that both the console and PC markets are actually dominated by free to play games (DOTA / CSGO on Steam, Fortnite / Warzone / Apex on consoles), they lead both the activity and revenue rankings. It’s less overwhelming than in the mobile world for sure but the shift has already happened.

All I see is GAF’s officially voted 2021 GOTY… oh and I see a few people still mad about it?

What about recent racing games launches, which one was the least predatory for MTX, the €79 one or the GP one?
There are good games on GP.
The Forgotten city, far lone sails 2, forza (I dont like it but its ok) and so on.
But I am noticing that games made exclusively for gamepass are of lower quality than games that happen to be in gamepass

Leyasu

Banned
I would be more happy to pay 60 or 70 for it and get a proper game.
I did finished it in gamepass on pc though but:
-Campaign was bad. Rather short 3 bigger levels and hours of monke corridors. Monke in intro, Monke as every boss. Monke monke monke
-Terrible performance on 3080
-No coop... which would be my main choice to play the game

Crazy they spent so much making this game
None of that has anything to do with gamepass though. The 6yr development costs are the same if the game releases with all the content or the paltry amount that 343 managed.

Costs don’t drop unless you are running skeleton crew studios

Filben

It was brought up a lot in the Halo Infinite reviews,people are willing to overlook flaws because they literally got it for 1 dollar.
But... don't people value their time? There are games I wouldn't play if you paid me to. 5 hours of Halo Infinite's multiplayer was enough for me to be done with it and do something better with my time, despite it being for free.

Javthusiast

Banned
Never understood the omg it will be like Netflix with too much filler bullshit arguments and fear mongering in regards to subscription services. There has been and always will be more filler and mediocore games than great ones.

Chukhopops

There are good games on GP.
The Forgotten city, far lone sails 2, forza (I dont like it but its ok) and so on.
But I am noticing that games made exclusively for gamepass are of lower quality than games that happen to be in gamepass
I respect the criticism of Halo Infinite for its cut content/features at launch but I don’t think it’s because of GP especially since the MP portion isn’t even requiring GP.

FH5 was built from scratch with GP in mind (since FH4 already launched day 1 on it) and there’s nothing indicating a shift in its content, in fact it’s the most generous FH game in the series.

rofif

Can’t Git Gud
None of that has anything to do with gamepass though. The 6yr development costs are the same if the game releases with all the content or the paltry amount that 343 managed.

Costs don’t drop unless you are running skeleton crew studios

I respect the criticism of Halo Infinite for its cut content/features at launch but I don’t think it’s because of GP especially since the MP portion isn’t even requiring GP.

FH5 was built from scratch with GP in mind (since FH4 already launched day 1 on it) and there’s nothing indicating a shift in its content, in fact it’s the most generous FH game in the series.
I expect it has everything to do with gamepass (quality of halo)
They knew they can get away with no coop and other drawbacks at launch. Because it's cheap

Banjo64

cumsessed
They knew they can get away with no coop and other drawbacks at launch. Because it's cheap
343 are just incompetent, as shown by them taking 4 years to fix MCC. Sadly they never seem to learn any lessons from their previous mistakes. That studio just has serious productivity issues.

Leyasu

Banned
So what you think that it cost less to make? The game was in development for 6yrs and still needs another year to finish. They prioritised getting it out in a working state. This is on 343

Panajev2001a

GAF's Pleasant Genius
The app store comparison is indeed weird, though. Gamepass is basically the opposite of the app store. I don't get the comparison.
Effects of cratering perceived game value. Unless you think people accustomed to getting games for a single flat fee would not start thinking games are neither worth $59-69 nor heck $29 each leading to a drop in perceived value.

Last edited:
Effects of cratering perceived game value. Unless you think people accustomed to get games for a single flat fee would not start thinking games are both worth $59-69 or heck $29 each leading to a drop in perceived value.
Does the perceived game value matter to publishers? They get their guaranteed money from Microsoft. In the app store, you throw your app on the wall and hope it sticks.

ZywyPL

Banned
The more games the better. I would much prefer more smaller projects than than yet another open-world game filled with fetch quests every couple of months, the less of those the better IMO.

Panajev2001a

GAF's Pleasant Genius
Does the perceived game value matter to publishers? They get their guaranteed money from Microsoft. In the app store, you throw your app on the wall and hope it sticks.
Publishers adapt, it is gamers that are affected one way or the other. A game that makes most of its revenue before you start playing can afford not to nickel and dime you afterward. Greedy publishers charge you for the game a lot and puts tons of unavoidable MTX.

Indies or AA games get shafted as either they jump on the subscription or MTX bandwagon or they take a lot of risks and/or constrain their budgets because people will pay them less and less per copy.

Publishers adapt, it is gamers that are affected one way or the other. A game that makes most of its revenue before you start playing can afford not to nickel and dime you afterward. Greedy publishers charge you for the game a lot and puts tons of unavoidable MTX.

Indies or AA games get shafted as either they jump on the subscription or MTX bandwagon or they take a lot of risks and/or constrain their budgets because people will pay them less and less per copy.
I feel like especially indy/AA devs are having the time of their life with Gamepass. There's zero risk involved (guaranteed MS payout), a ton of people play their game and they can still sell it on other platforms (Steam sales profit from good word of mouth). The only caveat is that they have to make an actually good game. If the game is shit, it won't work.

RavenSan

Off-Site Inflammatory Member
Feels like if you think Gamepass is gonna do that, you forget the era of Wii shovelware. I just can't see anyone building a shit game exclusively for Gamepass the way people threw shit together to take advantage of the Wii

Clear

CliffyB's Cock Holster
I highly doubt we'll have seen anything yet that was conceived with Gamepass in mind as its primary release platform. Lead times being what they are and the platform itself not being established for that long kinda stands against it.

When this does become the case my suspicion is that it'll manifest as more mtx and other post-sale monetization in order to supplement return on investment. The hard cold truth is that a one-time payout for GP inclusion may cover costs, but who works for years on a passion project only to accept a minimal, break-even result? The objective isn't subsistence, its about growth and prosperity.

A far bigger concern for me is the impact on the creative side, where certain sorts of games become devalued because they have little replay value and thus are likely to be quickly forgotten in the constant churn of new titles on the service.

Look at how mobile changed over the years as this sort of economic natural-selection set in. Its an environment like any other and so some will thrive and some will struggle within it. Change is inevitable.

deriks

4-Time GIF/Meme God
GamePass is the closest to a Netflix of gaming right now, but is also a different kind of beast

Netflix is doing his own shit not since always and is in a arithmetic progression. Some are hits, most are shit. Microsoft has games since ever, and most of them are good, problem is that there's not a lot of first party, and a lot of the third party games doesn't even stay for three months

I guess is never going to be with a lot of shit, but we need more big hits and a better interface

Leyasu

Banned
Effects of cratering perceived game value. Unless you think people accustomed to getting games for a single flat fee would not start thinking games are neither worth $59-69 nor heck $29 each leading to a drop in perceived value.
It’s counter productive to crater “perceived value” or release inferior material. The idea is to entice people who would normally buy games into the service.

Making rubbish will not only have an impact on sales, but also on the potential subscribers.

I can’t believe that this has to be explained

Last edited:

kingfey

Banned
I understand people will shit on it, because they dont want subscription like these to succeed.

There was netflix haters, before it become big. I expect the same people here to behave that way.

Also, those games are 3rd party. Unless you mean they become bad, if they went to a different system.

kingfey

Banned
All this concern but no titles exclusive to Gamepass, it's like it doesn't add up or something.
You are asking people to have common sense here. That thing gets thrown out of the window, once gamepass gets involved.

They are omitting the fact that these games are coming to other systems.

Its either Xbox will produce shit games, or these 3rd games would be shit on Xbox. That the intent I am getting here.

At this point, its becoming a shit take.

Chukhopops

I highly doubt we'll have seen anything yet that was conceived with Gamepass in mind as its primary release platform. Lead times being what they are and the platform itself not being established for that long kinda stands against it.

When this does become the case my suspicion is that it'll manifest as more mtx and other post-sale monetization in order to supplement return on investment. The hard cold truth is that a one-time payout for GP inclusion may cover costs, but who works for years on a passion project only to accept a minimal, break-even result? The objective isn't subsistence, its about growth and prosperity.

A far bigger concern for me is the impact on the creative side, where certain sorts of games become devalued because they have little replay value and thus are likely to be quickly forgotten in the constant churn of new titles on the service.

Look at how mobile changed over the years as this sort of economic natural-selection set in. Its an environment like any other and so some will thrive and some will struggle within it. Change is inevitable.
Forza Horizon 5 is the second Forza game to launch day 1 on GP, I think PG knew from the start it was going to be on GP Day 1.

And yet it doesn’t show any sign of being smaller or more MTX oriented than FH2 or FH3 was. Which is ironic when you look at Forza’s competitors and their MTX.

reksveks

Forza Horizon 5 is the second Forza game to launch day 1 on GP, I think PG knew from the start it was going to be on GP Day 1.

And yet it doesn’t show any sign of being smaller or more MTX oriented than FH2 or FH3 was. Which is ironic when you look at Forza’s competitors and their MTX.
Game director kinda confirmed it imo when there was the story about how they designed the game to be accessible for users whom are popping back into it after a random period of inactivity.

Trying to find the article on that.

It's an interesting thing to thing about design and how tutorials should work.

ReBurn

Gold Member
Man this premise is such hyperbole. Netflix invests billions into original content and tons of it is really, really good. Calling what they do "bad filler" is such mouth breathing nerd bait. It's a good place to go to discover something great.

With the studios and IP that Microsoft have purchased and the commitment to release their games on gamepass day 1 I'm having a hard time seeing how them making the kind of investment they have made being a concern for the quality of original content. Gamepass has been available for a few years and I don't see any evidence of them dumping low effort first party games there. Of course not every game will suit everyone's taste. Your definition of "filler" may be someone else's game of the year.

Last edited:

Zeroing

Banned
I understand people will shit on it, because they dont want subscription like these to succeed.

There was netflix haters, before it become big. I expect the same people here to behave that way.

Also, those games are 3rd party. Unless you mean they become bad, if they went to a different system.
I just find all this tiresome! A direct comparison would be comparing gamepass to Apple +
Both are somewhat connected to a brand and the majority of people do not use it!

It’s just double standards and changing narrative to fit whatever platform you are a fan of.
For example: Before gamepass, indies were garbage, now they are great… sometimes I wonder if people spend more time talking about gamepass than actually using it.

That said, when all the gamepass threads exploded here 2 years ago, I’ve sub to it, I had tons of issues on the PC. I do not care if people say it’s amazing now! They said the same thing back then and it wasn’t. First impressions do count.

kingfey

Banned
First impressions do count.
This is the most important thing. Most games are garbage to people, because they dont play it, or have bad impression due to Mouth to mouth talk.

Experience it, and make judgement for yourself. Not everyone will have the same experience as you. That is my motto.

Zeroing

Banned
This is the most important thing. Most games are garbage to people, because they dont play it, or have bad impression due to Mouth to mouth talk.

Experience it, and make judgement for yourself. Not everyone will have the same experience as you. That is my motto.
I just find both sides go to extremes! Either over hype it or downplay it. I’m just tired of the same threads over and over and the same tired arguments.

Banjo64

cumsessed
There have always been “bad filler games”, and it has nothing to do with Gamepass. They are called “indies”.
Disagree there. There’s just as many top indie games as there are AAA, and there’s just as many shite AAA games as there are indies. Hollow Knight, Tunic, Ori and Stardew Valley are all on Game Pass and I’d take them any day of the week over ‘AAA’ games like Battlefield 2042 or The GTA trilogy.

AllBizness

Banned
Netflix has many great shows. You might not like a lot of them because they are trying to appeal to different audiences with tailor made content.

Gamepass has great games, specially if you own an Xbox.
Netflix production values are cheap and come off cheesy in a lot of movies they are the worst of the streaming services due to their shitty original content
Ozark is the only original content worth a damn.

reksveks

Disagree there. There’s just as many top indie games as there are AAA, and there’s just as many shite AAA games as there are indies. Hollow Knight, Tunic, Ori and Stardew Valley are all on Game Pass and I’d take them any day of the week over ‘AAA’ games like Battlefield 2042 or The GTA trilogy.
Think you need to read into the quotes marks that they are using.

I hope I am right on that front.

Top Bottom