• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Will Gamepass lead to bad filler videogames like Netflix has done to tv shows?

C2brixx

I'm on my 3rd year with GamePass (converted Live to GP - cheap) and I'm not going to re-sub. There's been 2-3 games I've played for awhile, but that's it. Quality may come, but right now GP is filled with games I've got no interest in.
So are you not going to continue your Live membership? The conversion to GP Ultimate is 1:1 so this comes off as disingenuous. It has cost you nothing extra to be a GP member.

The_Mike

I cry about SonyGaf from my chair in Redmond, WA
85% of the games on GamePass are shovelware to begin with….

Typing your post in green doesn't make it true.

This list shows that at least 24 games has +90 metacritic, 71 games between 85 and 89 metacritic, and 119 games between 80 and 84 metacritic.

But of course, if you are only interested in games published by Sony,and literally nothing else, which is not surprising by your post history, then I agree there's nothing valuable on game pass.

Edit: funny. Just got this in my feed. Game pass has over 60 shit filler goty winner games

Robb

Gold Member
I definitely think it’s possible.. Netflix has turned to absolute crap ever since they started focusing on just making their own stuff imo.

I can definitely see the same thing happen to GamePass in the long run when competition heats up and it gets more difficult/too expensive to secure 3rd party games.

VAVA Mk2

Um it already does

Xbox GIF by Xboxlatam

The_Mike

I cry about SonyGaf from my chair in Redmond, WA
Um it already does

Xbox GIF by Xboxlatam

Crackdown 3 got released way before game pass and the reason it got slammed hard wasn't becauzs of the game itself, but because of all the destruction stuff Microsoft promised.

They killed the project by overhyping it with features they simply couldn't pull.

Don't get me wrong, game is mediocre, but does deliver the same as the prequels, which got a bit better scores.

Blaming crackdown 3 because of game pass or vice versa is just trolling.

kirby007

We trying to keep it going? make a top 5 of the consoles with the biggest library of shovelware. keep in mind the top 2 are already taken by consoles before the digital download era

S0ULZB0URNE

Are you the fanboy I'm policing? You are absolutely entitled to be completely wrong. I'm entitled to point out how ridiculous your opinion and this thread are. 🙂
The act of telling people they are wrong in a question based thread is policing.
A common practice of fanboys 🤫

Thread needs a poll for the question.

The act of telling people they are wrong in a question based thread is policing.
A common practice of fanboys 🤫

Thread needs a poll for the question.
It is objectively false to say that the majority of games on Game pass are 'bad'. It is also objectively false to state that Game pass is the cause of bad filler games. You are free to have whatever opinion you want and I'm free to call out nonsense. Fanboys do have a tendency to spout nonsense though so perhaps you are telling on yourself. 🤔

IntentionalPun

Ask me about my wife's perfect butthole
Netflix has produced some of the best, most loved, etc. shows of the last decade including cultural phenomenon stuff like Stranger Things.

And TV has always been chock full of shitty shows.

I really don't understand what planet people were living on before Netflix where we had something for $10-20 a month w/ so much content, including top tier content. HBO is the only thing comparable but you also could have multiple years where you only liked 1 show and it might have had a bad season lol

Netflix is bringing in more revenue than God, and it's why so many other companies are looking at "day one streaming" as an option, for all of their content.. the good stuff, the mids, and the bad.

Last edited:

MScarpa

I think the only way you can reply in threads like this is if you actually have Gamepass/PSNOW, etc. If you want to complain about Sony, you better own the damn console. This shit gets old quick. Like, HELLOOOO, these are GAMES. Ya know, things you enjoy and have fun with? Watching the same people with the same arguments over and over again. Why? Especially considering the age of some of you.

64bitmodels

Reverse groomer.
my 2 cents
bad filler videogames have existed before MS even entered the console industry. besides, if MS stops with the good content in gamepass people will just unsubscribe. You can still buy games on Xbox. i would know because i have 87 of them and a good chunk are owned by me and not from gamepass. Forza Horizon 5 is reason enough for me to say subscribed, but being able to have the entire halo library with one service & games like windjammers, bug fables and yakuza is very very convenient. if i had more storage space i'd have downloaded nearly everything on the service too, there's a shitton of games i'm extremely interested in but don't play due to the already fat backlog GP gives me.
what i'm looking forward to is sony's offerings- i do not like current sony and their games but their legacy lineup trounces xbox any day of the week. If they can offer a service which allows you to play PS1-PS3 easily.... Well to be frank i would just use emulation, but if i ever get a PS5 it would be an instant sub.

dcmk7

Banned
It is objectively false to say that the majority of games on Game pass are 'bad'. It is also objectively false to state that Game pass is the cause of bad filler games. You are free to have whatever opinion you want and I'm free to call out nonsense. Fanboys do have a tendency to spout nonsense though so perhaps you are telling on yourself. 🤔
This is a bit ridiculous coming from you of all people.

I had nothing but good experiences with gamepass. I binged on a bunch of games that I missed out on. Currently not subscribed but as soon as there's s new game I want to play, I can resubscribe, play it for cheap and than cancel the sub. Whats to complain about? People keep saying it will affect the quality of xbox 1st party but do ya'll even remember their 1st party before gamepass? It wasn't great.

Last edited:

SeraphJan

People are not dumb, if Game Pass ever started introducing filler content, people will simply stop using it and their competitor will gaining more attention, there is competition no matter what business model.

As much as I like physical copy, Game Pass is simply something I cannot live without.

Last edited:

S0ULZB0URNE

You aren't calling out anyone.
Like I said a few times, the thread asks a question and people are entitled to there opinion.

The spouted nonsense is from you and a few others in this thread being salty that some of our opinions don't line up with yours.

I'm done responding and doing circles with you.

CZY

Just gonna say I’m pretty annoyed how full of shovelware shit the PS store already is. “The Cow F” for $1.59 one of latest gems. Don’t think sub services have fuck to do with it.

VAVA Mk2

Crackdown 3 got released way before game pass and the reason it got slammed hard wasn't becauzs of the game itself, but because of all the destruction stuff Microsoft promised.

They killed the project by overhyping it with features they simply couldn't pull.

Don't get me wrong, game is mediocre, but does deliver the same as the prequels, which got a bit better scores.

Blaming crackdown 3 because of game pass or vice versa is just trolling.
I have GP and played CD 3 and own the first 2 and enjoyed them. It was overhyped and did not do much to advance the series but totally fits the mediocre title that is fun to play but not worth buying category to pad out the game catalog on GP.

drganon

Probably. Any subscription service is gonna have trash just to boost the number of titles they can brag about in advertising.

0neAnd0nly

totes GIF

For real though. People are short sighted and bias so people continue to blindly cheer on the fall of physical and individual sales.

But yes, it will lead to garbage. It was obvious way back when that NetFlix would succumb to this, and now look - they have lost most of their stuff to the other 100 steaming services that now cost FAR more than cable (the irony).

GP and similar services will not only create a lesser product overall (not to say there won't be good stuff, just lesser of it), but since they dictate the price will also be ridiculously expensive 5 years from now because "pay it or OH WELL". MS, especially, doesn't have the greatest track record with pro-consumer practices.

Book it.

You aren't calling out anyone.
Like I said a few times, the thread asks a question and people are entitled to there opinion.

The spouted nonsense is from you and a few others in this thread being salty that some of our opinions don't line up with yours.

I'm done responding and doing circles with you.
It is not an 'opinion' that the majority of games on Game pass are bad when the stats prove most games review in the 80+ category. It is not an 'opinion' to blame Game pass for bad filler gamers when those games existed before Game pass was even a thing. Glad you aren't going around in circles anymore. Spouting that much nonsense would make anyone dizzy. 😵‍💫

0neAnd0nly

It is not an 'opinion' that the majority of games on Game pass are bad when the stats prove most games review in the 80+ category. It is not an 'opinion' to blame Game pass for bad filler gamers when those games existed before Game pass was even a thing. Glad you aren't going around in circles anymore. Spouting that much nonsense would make anyone dizzy. 😵‍💫

I know I am not who you were responding to, but do you not see any potential issues with the future of streaming game services?

No issue with a non-competitive pricing market? No issue with the mass purging of independent publishers / studios to only a select few?

I am just curious. I am critical around the industry of this, not just a Microsoft thing. I don't like Sony making mass acquisitions either if they choose to do such. I am just curious if you really don't see the potential, and likely based on history, consequences of this?

I am assuming on our response to him, that you are a Xbox player primarily, so answer the question without Xbox as the subject. Let's assume Sony does this too (likely), you still have no issues here?

Also, to respond to your comment regarding highly reviewed games being an indicator of quality - I don't think it is a secret that game journalism today has been heavily corrupted. You have journalist openly refusing to review / purposefully review games harshly due to politics or content, you have many cases of paper trails / evidence showing pay for ratings occurring, and you have companies such as IGN employing people caught openly admitting to not actually finishing games for reviews and / or plagiarizing.

I am legit interested in the discussion, not trying to come at you in any way. Just curious as to your feelings.

adamsapple

Or is it just one of Phil's balls in my throat?
Ah yes, that's why Microsoft is still advertising with "100+ games" even though the service has 400 or so games by now.

Yeah, it is kinda weird they haven't updated that one line of text on the website for year(s) now lol.

Lognor

Banned
totes GIF

For real though. People are short sighted and bias so people continue to blindly cheer on the fall of physical and individual sales.

But yes, it will lead to garbage. It was obvious way back when that NetFlix would succumb to this, and now look - they have lost most of their stuff to the other 100 steaming services that now cost FAR more than cable (the irony).

GP and similar services will not only create a lesser product overall (not to say there won't be good stuff, just lesser of it), but since they dictate the price will also be ridiculously expensive 5 years from now because "pay it or OH WELL". MS, especially, doesn't have the greatest track record with pro-consumer practices.

Book it.
Who is cheering on the "fall of physical and individual sales?" And physical sales will continue! There are zero exclusive games on Game Pass that you can't buy individually. This is not going to continue. You have multiple ways to access a game. Isn't that a good thing?

And why do you say it will lead to garbage? There are already garbage games on Game Pass, as others have pointed out. BUT as someone else has pointed out, the average metacritic score of games on Game Pass is 80%+. So most of the games are good or great. Sure, there may be some garbage on there, just like there's garbage on PS Now/PS+/Playstation Store and the Nintendo eshop. So what? It's not mutually exclusive. You can have great games on Game Pass as well as crap games. Which is what we see now.

You're arguing that the quality of games will drop off on Game Pass? Based on what? You're not locked into Game Pass. Microsoft still has to make good games if they want to sell them or keep people subscribed. There may be more unique content because of Game Pass, which is a good thing. Developers don't need to rely on individual sales as much if they have the game on a service like Game Pass.

And your comparison to Netflix is laughable. You're comparing content that used to be on Netflix to what it is now. But that content you're talking about is older content. Not original content. Yes, Netflix used to have Friends and The Office and a lot of other hugely popular content, but it was all old content. And now that content is gone to other services. But Netflix is making a lot more of their own content now, and a lot of it is good or great. Would you rather have new content or watch The Office again for the nth time? I choose the latter. But this is a completely different argument you're making.

I know I am not who you were responding to, but do you not see any potential issues with the future of streaming game services?

No issue with a non-competitive pricing market? No issue with the mass purging of independent publishers / studios to only a select few?

I am just curious. I am critical around the industry of this, not just a Microsoft thing. I don't like Sony making mass acquisitions either if they choose to do such. I am just curious if you really don't see the potential, and likely based on history, consequences of this?

I am assuming on our response to him, that you are a Xbox player primarily, so answer the question without Xbox as the subject. Let's assume Sony does this too (likely), you still have no issues here?

Also, to respond to your comment regarding highly reviewed games being an indicator of quality - I don't think it is a secret that game journalism today has been heavily corrupted. You have journalist openly refusing to review / purposefully review games harshly due to politics or content, you have many cases of paper trails / evidence showing pay for ratings occurring, and you have companies such as IGN employing people caught openly admitting to not actually finishing games for reviews and / or plagiarizing.

I am legit interested in the discussion, not trying to come at you in any way. Just curious as to your feelings.
I own all the gaming consoles so I'm aware what each platform holder is doing. My thoughts are that Game pass is simply a vehicle to receive games. Like any other service if people don't like it they won't sub.

No I don't believe that the game quality will suffer because if that happens it hurts the service. Why people believe that gamers will just sign up for a horrible service shows how little credibility critics have. Gamers want a good deal. PS Now is full of games including some from PlayStation game studios. It is also cheaper than Game pass and has more games! Game pass STILL has more subs. Why? Because gamers see the value.

I refuse to engage in conspiracy theories about game journalists lying about game scores. We have to have a baseline in which to gage game quality. Right now the best bet is using sites like Metacritic or Opencritic. That is better than your own personal subjective opinion. The stats don't support that Game pass has and creates bad filler games.

People are free to dislike whatever platform and clearly Xbox is a popular whipping boy when it comes to PlayStation and a few Nintendo fans. It still doesn't make the premise of this thread any more valid. Game pass is totally optional and people are still free to buy games traditionally. It will only last if the quality stays at a certain level. The Game pass fear mongering is much ado about nothing and mostly thinly veiled console war fodder.

0neAnd0nly

Who is cheering on the "fall of physical and individual sales?" And physical sales will continue! There are zero exclusive games on Game Pass that you can't buy individually. This is not going to continue. You have multiple ways to access a game. Isn't that a good thing?

And why do you say it will lead to garbage? There are already garbage games on Game Pass, as others have pointed out. BUT as someone else has pointed out, the average metacritic score of games on Game Pass is 80%+. So most of the games are good or great. Sure, there may be some garbage on there, just like there's garbage on PS Now/PS+/Playstation Store and the Nintendo eshop. So what? It's not mutually exclusive. You can have great games on Game Pass as well as crap games. Which is what we see now.

You're arguing that the quality of games will drop off on Game Pass? Based on what? You're not locked into Game Pass. Microsoft still has to make good games if they want to sell them or keep people subscribed. There may be more unique content because of Game Pass, which is a good thing. Developers don't need to rely on individual sales as much if they have the game on a service like Game Pass.

And your comparison to Netflix is laughable. You're comparing content that used to be on Netflix to what it is now. But that content you're talking about is older content. Not original content. Yes, Netflix used to have Friends and The Office and a lot of other hugely popular content, but it was all old content. And now that content is gone to other services. But Netflix is making a lot more of their own content now, and a lot of it is good or great. Would you rather have new content or watch The Office again for the nth time? I choose the latter. But this is a completely different argument you're making.

I don't mean specifically cheering it on (though some do), I mean the support for services / all digital as a whole by people. It isn't a good thing.

There are garbage games across the board, sure. As I followed up, this isn't exclusive to MS. Most of the comments in here counter to being Anti-GP / like services are always defending MS specifically. Take MS out of it. It's ok to be critical of something you like.

The rest of you comment basically gives example to the exact short sighted nature of media I am personally arguing about. Who knows, maybe I am wrong. Nothing is concrete. GP isn't the avenue YET. But the argument has been brewing for quite some time that the all digital future is imminent. So if they next gen comes, and it's all digital - things like GP become the rule not the exception, MS is the sole dictator (or Sony / Nintendo / who cares for theirs) about how their services are priced, how they expect the games to be (with regards to development window, quality assessment, developer cost, etc.) this could create a problem, yeah? If the bar is permanently lowered, reviews will adjust to the new bar and games will be judged easier. You don't see a potential issue with this at all? Further, what would make someone like MS (or any other, since I think a lot of argument comes from defending your console of choice) in 10 years if they really take the market with GP actually want to invest huge money into risky or diverse gaming projects? It isn't needed. GTAV was ~265 million dev cost. Why would a company that owns basically half the market care to fund a project like that? You are subscribed to their service, they don't need to. If you unsubscribe, where do you go? This is, of course, assuming we continue down the road of consolidation, which seems to be the likely case here.

I don't think game services / GaaS/ consolidation is a good thing, and I think it is hard to argue it is. It's a good value, from Microsofts side for now because they are getting their teeth kicked in and want to offer a competitive cost / content rich program to pull people their way (it has worked relatively speaking). But when or if they take over the lead again, what is the incentive for continuing that? They are a mega corporation with a history of anti-consumer moves. The first to introduce MTx, the first to charge for online play, the first require DRM, subscription based PC services, etc.

The Netflix comparison, you are correct, does have some differences that game streaming services may not have thanks to the consolidation. BUT, there is some historical similarities I think worth noting. Netflix recently hiked prices up, and are offering less popular content and taking more criticism for not producing as much quality. This is the same danger stuff like GP / Spartacus will face. You will inevitably need to buy both or even all 3 with Nintendo, if they mass consolidation continues. You really expect companies to buy these publishers for MILLIONS to not end up making them exclusive? Tell me why? What would be the positive outcome?

Meh. Call me a pessimist, but I don't think I would be shy to revisit this in 5 - 10 years time and see where we are at. I don't think it will be enjoyable.

0neAnd0nly

I own all the gaming consoles so I'm aware what each platform holder is doing. My thoughts are that Game pass is simply a vehicle to receive games. Like any other service if people don't like it they won't sub.

No I don't believe that the game quality will suffer because if that happens it hurts the service. Why people believe that gamers will just sign up for a horrible service shows how little credibility critics have. Gamers want a good deal. PS Now is full of games including some from PlayStation game studios. It is also cheaper than Game pass and has more games! Game pass STILL has more subs. Why? Because gamers see the value.
My argument here is simple. For one, gamers are SUPER tribal. Way more than most any other media. Nobody doesn't go to a movie because "this studio made it", but there are 100% XBOX FOR LIFE / SONY PONY SUCKS and the opposite as well. PC Master race ring any bells? People will blindly buy based on loyalty, though not exclusively. When I worked in the industry I actually had an interesting convo on this with someone... we'll just say pretty high up. His argument was the same - people will go to where the content is. That is true, undoubtedly, but I also argued that a good bit are loyal in the gamingsphere. But he was correct, in general, as the market at the time did indicate shifts (PS3 launch being a solid example). That was however based on the way the industry was in THAT time. The industry is moving away from that. If the consolidation continues, and who really would argue it won't. Can we at least agree on that? ACTIVISION was bought, who is off the table?

If it gets down to 4/5 publishers that own every studio, and 3 of those make consoles - then your GP / like service all of a sudden it's just a vehicle anymore. It's an arbiter of content. You will only a few vehicles to choose from. You will effectively get half of the market on either one, or maybe 1/3 if Nintendo gets serious about this (doubtful). So then what? All of a sudden the content doesn't matter. No way to play other than by their rules. You either buy it, or miss a MASSIVE part of the gaming library and landscape that we have ALWAYS had as options with a massive 3rd party landscape keeping the first party publishers and studios working to compete.

So no, your opinions are not alone by any means, and I may be a tad too pessimistic. But I still stand by what I said. The future won't be this wonderland of innovation. Microsoft is a business, Sony is a business, Nintendo is a business. They will squeeze the consumer for every penny possible. Virtually every corp does. What historically would make my claims null?

I refuse to engage in conspiracy theories about game journalists lying about game scores. We have to have a baseline in which to gage game quality. Right now the best bet is using sites like Metacritic or Opencritic. That is better than your own personal subjective opinion. The stats don't support that Game pass has and creates bad filler games.

Fair point. Though I listed legitimate examples that are easy to fact check and proven, I can see the greater argument of an overall conspiracy being fairly critiqued. I would simply add yet to the end of your last sentence, because up until this point most of the massive publishers still acted independently thus forcing people like Playstation, Xbox to have to keep innovation competitive in their portion of the game space. When the massive independent publishers all end up being absorbed... then what? Why continue to invest heavy in massive, risky projects?

People are free to dislike whatever platform and clearly Xbox is a popular whipping boy when it comes to PlayStation and a few Nintendo fans. It still doesn't make the premise of this thread any more valid. Game pass is totally optional and people are still free to buy games traditionally. It will only last if the quality stays at a certain level. The Game pass fear mongering is much ado about nothing and mostly thinly veiled console war fodder.

I have mentioned all of the 3 in here, neutrally IMO. I certainly have a preferred console, but working in the industry with all of the 3 consoles for a while taught me to look at things differently, separate from my preferences. I don't think it is fear mongering to believe that all-digital future is coming quickly, that this will likely end in a service exclusive landscape and you will be forced to pay what they deem fair and accept what they deem as quality shortly. A few major players will control all gaming releases. I don't like that, period.

But that's just me! We can agree to disagree. All is well - and I hope you are correct! Hope your day is great man, regardless!

We can agree to disagree. All is well - and I hope you are correct! Hope your day is great man, regardless!
I hear what you are saying but until Game pass actually dose the things people are acusing it of its all negative speculation and current it is completely unsupported. If it does fill with bad games the service will die. Top it off with being totally optional I just don't see the problem. I agree we can agree to disagree. Hope you have a great day too sir.

Last edited by a moderator:
Top Bottom