• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

why is morrowind so special ?

Definitely need mods for graphics and other stuff. I'll put the magic regen in and rich merchants, but leave the dice roll for hits. The hit dice made more use out of your skills and agility. It obviously wouldn't fly today.

Didn't a hit game just come out recently that makes use of DnD and dice roll mechanics?

Baldur's Gate 3?

It's pretty with amazing art and music. That makes it an easy world to get lost in, especially for the time of release. Also. Dat water.

Because it was made with PC in mind. The fact it came out on Xbox was a miracle.

Versus ESIV and ESV, which was made with consoles in mind first and foremost, and then PC was an afterthoughtm

I'm on my first playthrough of Morrowind now on PC and I was wondering why the UI and controls felt so natural.

I didn't realize it until you just said it but being able to move the menu screens around and resize them is mind blowing. Never played a PC game like that.

The UI for Skyrim on PC is absolute trash. Oh and custom keybindings!!! being able to use numbers 1-10 on your keyboard to bind weapons, armor and items! Holy shit how does a game from 2002 have that and not Skyrim?

Last edited:
Someone mentioned and I beleive they make you blind?!?!? So you have to use something to nullify that. I'd take it though.

I'm on my first playthrough and I just picked these boots up not too long ago but I read you can make custom spells to completely negate this effect.

I chose Breton as my race though which has 50% magic resist so my screen is only half darkened. I put them on while traveling and then swap them out with my regular steel boots right before I enter combat. (as the blindness will also decrease your hit chance)

JimmyRustler

Gold Member
We all like different things. For me, Morrowind feels so dated compared to Skyrim. It's an archaic relic that has been replaced by a bigger and better version. Also, Skyrim has dragons fighting giants. That alone wins the debate.

The Dark Brotherhood was better in Oblivion, but that's it. Everything else, main story, side quests, expansions such as Dawn Guard, were all better in Skyrim. I'll die on that hill.
I’m willing to argue about the main questline (mainly because of the repetitive Oblivion gates) but EVERY other questline was far more interesting in Oblivion. It’s not even close. Skyrim was Bethesda’s first game dipping into the radiant questing (which they have built upon ever since sadly) and you can really tell. Oblivion had only hand written quests, which is why most of them were longer and more interesting. See the artifact quest, the painting quest etc… and Dawnguard better the Shivering Isles? ARE YOU MAD!?

What Skyrim did so better is environmental storytelling telling though.

At the time it was amazing, I sunk over 800 hours in the game…… listen, I’m gonna be blunt. If you didn’t play this at the time because you didn’t exist, you were young and there was only a PlayStation or Nintendo in the house, don’t bother… just read about all of the amazing lore.

IDKFA

I am Become Bilbo Baggins
I’m willing to argue about the main questline (mainly because of the repetitive Oblivion gates) but EVERY other questline was far more interesting in Oblivion. It’s not even close. Skyrim was Bethesda’s first game dipping into the radiant questing (which they have built upon ever since sadly) and you can really tell. Oblivion had only hand written quests, which is why most of them were longer and more interesting. See the artifact quest, the painting quest etc… and Dawnguard better the Shivering Isles? ARE YOU MAD!?

What Skyrim did so better is environmental storytelling telling though.

We'll have to agree to disagree on this one. Everyone and their dog knows Skyrim was better. And yes, Dawnguard was better than Shivering Isles. Dawnguard gave me a crossbow and let me be a vampire lord! That makes it better already.

oh, and remind me which one sold more? I rest my case.

*mic drop*

In a better timeline, they would have kept and doubled down on the dice-based to-hit system which comes straight out of classic D&D, but solve the mismatch with live 3d action by simply transitioning into a turn-based mode during encounters. Then we'd have a much better series and possibly would have avoided their slow slide into being an incredibly boring developer.

BG3's systems showed that turn based is still incredibly engaging, so maybe the industry will finally course correct and dump the trash genre of action-RPG.

"But I don't like when my character's skills, attributes, weapons, and other factors determine whether I hit my opponent. I want it based on my mindlessly repeated button reaction speed derived from rote muscle memorization" ... okay, then stop pretending it's an RPG when that's just an action game with some leveling on top for bonuses. Hell, even the worst dice systems feel better than mushy combat of something like Skyrim.

JimmyRustler

Gold Member
We'll have to agree to disagree on this one. Everyone and their dog knows Skyrim was better. And yes, Dawnguard was better than Shivering Isles. Dawnguard gave me a crossbow and let me be a vampire lord! That makes it better already.

oh, and remind me which one sold more? I rest my case.

*mic drop*
Oblivion was from a time when WRPGs were still anerdy genre. By the time Skyrim released everyone and their mother had RPG elements. That’s why it sold better.

IDKFA

Oblivion was from a time when WRPGs were still anerdy genre. By the time Skyrim released everyone and their mother had RPG elements. That’s why it sold better.

Clearly the sales numbers didn't sway you. Maybe sales aren't a good way at judging quality.

Let's instead kill off this debate with metacritic.

Morrowind is at 87
Oblivion is at 94
Skyrim is at 96

Factually, Skyrim is the best Elder Scrolls game.

Case closed.

JimmyRustler

Gold Member
Clearly the sales numbers didn't sway you. Maybe sales aren't a good way at judging quality.

Let's instead kill off this debate with metacritic.

Morrowind is at 87
Oblivion is at 94
Skyrim is at 96

Factually, Skyrim is the best Elder Scrolls game.

Case closed.
I didn’t say that Oblivion is overall the better game, only that it features better written and more interesting quests.

IDKFA

I didn’t say that Oblivion is overall the better game, only that it features better written and more interesting quests.

Really? Even the legendary Companions quests or the epic Skyrim civil war?!

No, I'm sorry. We'll have to agree to disagree on this.

IAmRei

morrowind is winning for me, the concept art which presented as assets, the environment, the feel, and the atmosphere is far beyond skyrim, it's dark fantasy at finest, for me, it's the best

Top Bottom