• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

why is morrowind so special ?

samoilaaa

Skyrim sold the most of all the elder scrolls games but whenever there is talk about the best elder scrolls morrowind is the winner

ive been gaming for over 20 years but i never played morrowind , can you tell me why is it considered the best ?

Is it the game mechanics ? story ? it cant be graphics because it looks like crap

It's the last Bethesda game with good writing. My theory has always been that switching to fully voiced in Oblivion made the dialogues go to shit. It essentially put a price on every line of text and gives the developers an incentive to give the player fewer dialogue options and make NPCs talk less in general.

Oh, and it's also the last game to be made primarily for PC. Yeah, I know it released on Xbox, but they clearly designed the PC version first and then figured out a way to make it playable on a console. With later releases it's generally the other way around.

Last edited:
Mechanics, atmosphere, and definitely at the time the open ended nature despite being a downsizing in pure square mileage from Daggerfall. I still really enjoy playing it, I did a playthrough just last year with OpenMW to take advantage of better resolutions but I don't even play it with mods. I like it just as it is. Spell crafting, the lore, the environment itself. I even like the combat as basic as it is, I don't mind hit chance at all, in a way better than the basically guaranteed to hit sponges of Oblivion and later.

The amount of dialogue is awesome, some of the quest lines interweave to an extent, great stuff to find everywhere with very little handholding to be found.

Last edited:

mdkirby

It let you create your own story of doing bonkers shit to borderline break the game, it let you actually be creative. There was vaults full of high level armour and gold, to rob it, I made a teleport marker in my house, I then went to where the vault was, cast an unlock spell on the vault door and then turned around and stole a vase off the shelf in the corridor outside the vault. The guard inside the vault saw me through the vault door window. Because id unlocked the vault door he runs out of the vault to yell at me. I paid the fine for the vase. But now the vault was empty and the door open. So I turn invisible and walk inside, turn around, close the door, and cast a lock spell. Im now alone in a locked vault. I then hid around the corner, out of view from the guard who was now in the corridor locked out of the vault. I then used telekinesis to pick up every item in the vault making me way way over encumbered, but all out of sight of the guards. I then teleported home with the entire vault in my pocket.

Later I enchanted a ring that cast an insane jump and slow fall spell, and enchanted a sword that cast a 50ft fireball whenever you hit anything with it. Those combined allowed me to leap 100 ft in the air, slow falling down, whack something with a sword causing a huge explosion killing everything around whilst I then leapt back into the sky like a giant kangaroo of doom.

Later games, particularly Skyrim dumbed down a lot of that stuff, and it was much more boring and less creative as a result.

amigastar

It's the last Bethesda game with good writing. My theory has always been that switching to fully voiced in Oblivion made the dialogues go to shit. It essentially put a price on every line of text and gives the developers an incentive to give the player fewer dialogue options and make NPCs talk less in general.
Today you can voice all the dialogue with AI voicing in Morrowind.
OT:
I never really played Morrowind for very long but i'm looking forward to Skywind, although i wanna play Morroblivion i'm just to lazy to install it. lol.

Last edited:

BennyBlanco

aka IMurRIVAL69
IMG-7844.jpg

Morrowind rules. Go try OpenMW.

Pelao

For me at least, it's for the same reason I loved Elden Ring's open world approach. The feeling of being let loose in a world with very few directions of what to do and where to go, where you have to really pay attention to your surroundings and what the NPCs tell you to progress in your adventure, and at the same time having the freedom to go exploring, with the certainty that whatever you find, it will be thanks to your own means and not because an indicator on the map told you that there was an unchecked question mark there. It's also why I enjoyed the last two Zelda games. There's a lot of stuff outside of quests, that you're not told anywhere, that makes you feel rewarded when you take the time to explore.
It's something that was sadly lost with Bethesda's later games. I still enjoy them, but it's just not the same.

Last edited:

Filben

While it didn't feel as personal as Gothic, another great 3d ARPG from that era, there was no contest for its big and filled open world without handholding so it allowed for true exploration. It was a sandbox that allowed for so many different builds and play styles. Its dialogue and quest system feels rigid but its solid enough for the game's lore and interactivity.

IDKFA

I am Become Bilbo Baggins
Rose tinted goggles.

Like Final Fantasy, Elder Scrolls has gotten bigger and better with every mainline game. Skyrim is the peak of the series, but I'm sure it'll be outdone by ESVI.

Considering how good Skyrim is, I'm expecting ESVI to be one for the ages.

intbal

I jumped from one side of Vvardenfell to the other.
On Xbox (no PC mods needed).

Other games don't give you the kind of creative freedom that Morrowind did.

Drizzlehell

Banned
Unique setting, pretty cool lore, utterly broken gameplay systems that you can exploit the shit out of.

I guess it was one of the first open world RPGs for many people and it was a totally unique game for its time.

R6Rider

Gold Member
Best in the series.

No generated world like Daggerfall, no terrible level scaling like Oblivion, and no watered down skills and systems like Skyrim.

It has aged horribly though.

music, water, and exploration.
doesnt hold your hand.
sucks at first but is really rewarding if you stick with it.
crazy ass lore.
sense of scale and mystery.

probably really hard to play the first time these days.

No easy fast travel was great.
Really felt like an adventure.
No stupid hand holding.
The two PC games were I had an incredible sense of exploration were this and the Nomad Soul.

Fuz

Banned
Because not enough people have played Daggerfall, the superior Elder Scrolls game and the greatest videogame RPG of all time.
Morrowind is still good, though.
Coming from Daggerfall and seeing how everything was dumbed down, I hated Morrowind at the time. I'll never forgive them for ruining that insanely fun spellcrafting.
And yet, I can agree with your "still good" opinion right now, seeing what came after.

Oh, and it's also the last game to be made primarily for PC. Yeah, I know it released on Xbox, but they clearly designed the PC version first and then figured out a way to make it playable on a console. With later releases it's generally the other way around.

Last edited:

marquimvfs

My opinion is that TES games have been worse after every iteration. Talking about 3D only, Oblivion is better than Skyrim, and Morrowind is best than both. The things I like about it is that Morrowind choices actually matter in the grand scheme of the story, the game is more fun to play, sidequests aren't dumb and are present in an adequate number, the story isn't shit and so on. The only thing that could scare you at first are the dated graphics, but there's always mods that can help with that. It's a must play if you're TES fan.

Last edited:

Alebrije

Morrowind was the reference for PC rpgs ported to consoles...I loved playing MW on my Xbox...There was nothing on consoles like MW.

Also you had little help from NPCs to find places , basically the only help was something like " you will find the cave southwest of the Hylian bridge, people say some extrange vines grow near it"

It was fund just wandering around ...

Alebrije

My opinion is that TES games have been worse after every iteration. Talking about 3D only, Oblivion is better than Skyrim, and Morrowind is best than both. The things I like about it is that Morrowind choices actually matter in the grand scheme of the story, the game is more fun to play, sidequests aren't dumb and are present in an adequate number, the story isn't shit and so on. The only thing that could scare you at first are the dated graphics, but there's always mods that can help with that. It's a must play if you're TES fan.
I agree, played the 3 of them and MW has the better memories...my bet is that Bethesda has done more mainstream each game due to its grow...so the series has abandoned its writting and some deep gameplay elements.

A good idea to help Xbone this day would be a Remake of Morrowind these days..with two playing options : original MW and Adveture mode with help on locations and easier magic /spells builth.

Mossybrew

Gold Member
I loved playing MW on my Xbox...There was nothing on consoles like MW.
Yep, same. I had never played a game like it. It could be frustrating and obtuse, but it had such a great sense of exploration, a strange enchanting vibe, and heck yeah you could do some crazy stuff. I just remember my wizard who could levitate pretty much indefinitely just flying around firebombing fools. Those were good times.

TheInfamousKira

Reseterror Resettler
Coming from someone who has played maybe three hours of TES games combined, Morrowind is fucking magical, even to just locally sit in and watcha Friend play over a bowl of grass.

ANDS

King of Gaslighting
Skyrim sold the most of all the elder scrolls games but whenever there is talk about the best elder scrolls morrowind is the winner

ive been gaming for over 20 years but i never played morrowind , can you tell me why is it considered the best ?

Is it the game mechanics ? story ? it cant be graphics because it looks like crap

Open world that largely let you do whatever you wanted and to go where you desired. Later Bethesda openworlds, while being some of my favorite games, did lean a bit too heavily on the mainstream appeal that MORROWIND gave them, including the cancerous insistence that content should ALWAYS be at a players level. Modern Bethesda games try as hard as they can to not beat the player; MORROWIND didn't care if you wandered somewhere you shouldn't have.

. . .STARFIELD will almost surely be more FO4 than MW, and will still be fun, but it would be nice to get back to that level of trust between the developer and the player (in that it is okay to let the player fail and flounder), specifically from one of my favorite amusement park designers.

stn

Because you can do anything you want. To me it is the single greatest RPG ever (and also either my #1 or #2 favorite game ever).

I still remember when I took over a small fort near the Odai River, and I wanted to make it my own, so I made an armor display inside. I also cast "follow" and brought R'avir from Balmora with me so I would have a merchant. And I used an exploit to permanently summon two dremora, who basically "guard" my house lol 24/7.

magikarp7

I think if you ask a lot of people most will tell you their favourite scrolls game is usually the first one they've played which is often Morrowind. Oblivion was my first and I have fond memories of that shit. I tried a couple of times to get into Morrowind but found it too dated for me - just going to wait for Skywind at this point.

Skyrim is popular because of casuals.

People who actually understand what they are playing understand that skyrim is streamlined and simplified compared to morrowind and even oblivion.

Less loot variety, attributes, level scaling and worst of all the quests are procedural and lacking soul in comparison to those of oblivion and morrowind.

Im surprised someone can register for a gaming foruk account and not tell these things, if you're nerdy enough to join a gaming forum, you should be nerdy enough to know why morrowind is beloved.

Last edited:
Rose tinted goggles.

Like Final Fantasy, Elder Scrolls has gotten bigger and better with every mainline game. Skyrim is the peak of the series, but I'm sure it'll be outdone by ESVI.

Considering how good Skyrim is, I'm expecting ESVI to be one for the ages.
loot variety, level scaling, and most importantly quests (because they werent procedural) were better in those older games. I gave you specifics, not rose tinted goggles

Just vecause you arent detail oriented enough to notice these things falter over time, doesnt mean everyone else is. Your brain just sees better graphics and updated combat mechanics and think the game is better. That lack of eye for detail hurts gaming. Because you cant ask for what you dont notice is gone...

Sakura

Oblivion is just a dumbed down version of Morrowind, and Skyrim is a dumbed down version of Oblivion. (And I'm sure people will tell me Morrowind is a dumbed down version of Daggerfall).
Bethesda has just been making the same game, but with less features, in order to appeal to the casual market. Skyrim succeeded in that, but it isn't really doing anything that the other games didn't, it's just more accessible.

Alebrije

Skyrim is popular because of casuals.

People who actually understand what they are playing understand that skyrim is streamlined and simplified compared to morrowind and even oblivion.

Less loot variety, attributes, level scaling and worst of all the quests are procedural and lacking soul in comparison to those of oblivion and morrowind.

Im surprised someone can register for a gaming foruk account and not tell these things, if you're nerdy enough to join a gaming forum, you should be nerdy enough to know why morrowind is beloved.
Yep and that is why for the ones the played Daggerfall even Morrowind feels for casuals ...Bethesa moved the series from its niche roots to a more bigger market becuse of money , the same they did with Fallout 4 that has poor dialogs and plays more like a shooter than an RPG vs original Fallout or even Fallout 3.

Not saying is bad just that boot franchises actually do not represent its roots.

bender

What time is it?
If you can get past the combat which is rough, especially when you start out, it presents a varied world and isn't afraid to let you get lost or miss content. Iterations of TES afterwards were streamlined and robbed of the sense of exploration and adventure that Morrowind had.

Fools idol

Banned
It came out in 2002.

RPG's of that quality and complexity in an open 3d world had largely 'not been done yet' and those that have had not been done as well as Morrowind did it.

I personally think it has aged quite poorly, the combat fucking sucks, graphics are atrocious to the point where even mods can't save it and all immersion is therefore killed.

Skyrim on the other hand, streamlined a lot of the best bits of Elder Scrolls before it, and made it a lot more accessible which, obviously, people who had never played an Elder Scrolls before were blown away. Not only that, but with heavy modding communtiy alive and well, the game can look truly photorealistic if you have the system to run it.

Last edited:

Mozzarella

1- Better RPG mechanics, in fact it has one of the best RPG mechanics in the 3D RPG world, the only one game that can measure is Fallout New Vegas, the rest that measure to it are all CRPGs.
2- Better writing and story, while the Elder Scrolls series is mostly carried by lore and immersion, in Morrowind the story is at least good enough, and the characters can be memorable, also the villain and the cult are pretty interesting.
3- Better faction system and guilds: a whole lot of factions and they have interactions with each other, reducing and increasing reputation based on what you do.
4- Better atmosphere and setting, an alien like world compared to realistic worlds in the sequels.
5- Better crafting system, particularly enchanting is very good in this game, i spent many hours to it.
Okay Editing
6- Better music and open world design
7- Better exploration and itemization.

Those are 5 reasons. Now they are 7.

Last edited:

JayK47

I will never forget my first time playing Morrowind. Straight off the boat, I got into a fight with a mud crab with only a rusty knife. The mud crab won. If that were to happen today in a game, I would probably uninstall it and never look back. It is one of the few games I hope they do a proper remake for.

Arsic

Loves his juicy stink trail scent
I played it like a month ago for a bit. Far too dated mechanically for gameplay but the rest was aces.

Would love a remaster.

Wildebeest

Both Oblivion and Skyrim were attempts to reign in the insanity of Morrowind to make the formula more commercial and bland. But they have never managed to fix the main complaints, which were the bad performance of the engine and all the bugs.

Top Bottom