• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

When will western devs realize that femininity sells?

Are we ever going to see femininity back in western games?

• Total voters

Skifi28

What is a man?
SNSgm1i.png

I don't know about a man, but Phil is THE man.

//DEVIL//

Jeff Goldblum What GIF by The Late Late Show with James Corden
Shocked Eddie Murphy GIF
Awkward Season 2 GIF by The Office
Cant Speak Nathan Fillion GIF

So countless people should either be fired or have their company go under because you can’t handle any video game having a character be “unattractive” despite no one on the planet forcing you to play any of those games?

Well, I mean the user name checks out…
Yes. Those people trying to force agenda behind the game and shove it to kids brain should be fired . I have no sympathy for people like that. These are just games . Not a political platform . And that’s what they are trying to do in every media too. Including movies as well.

And yes, it’s off putting . I can’t enjoy a game where the character is ugly. Regardless if it’s a male or female.

rodrigolfp

Haptic Gamepads 4 Life
7veLnRf.png

Fucking ugly, look at that disgusting mouth and that double chin.

Yeah, I feel this is what people do when whining about Aloy in forbidden west. It's always those two low quality pictures from a pre-release trailer using a weird angle/wide lense and a weird expression. You can make everyone look ugly this way. The game has been out for a while now, how about using pictures from that?

wCOWi5m.png

Yeah, her face is on the round side of things like many other attractive women, but people really like to exaggerate trying to bend reality into fitting their narrative.
She is still cute af laughing like that.
A miserable little pile of secrets?
That's a woman.

Doom85

Yes. Those people trying to force agenda behind the game and shove it to kids brain should be fired . I have no sympathy for people like that. These are just games . Not a political platform . And that’s what they are trying to do in every media too. Including movies as well.

Games can be whatever the person/team who makes it want it to be, and yes they can have political elements to them. You don’t get to dictate that. To claim otherwise would mean you stand against freedom of expression.

I’m left-sided politically but for example I bear no ill will towards any of the Tom Clancy games (or the actual books) despite Clancy being clearly right-sided. As long as nothing genuinely (and I mean GENUINELY, not wild theories from either political side, but an actual horrific message that would appall just about anyone of either political side) harmful is being promoted then they have every right to be made. Even if I were to choose not to pick any of them up, I certainly am not wishing for the writers/developers to lose the source of their livelihood.

These are people’s lives, bruh. They might really depend on that job. Their families might depend on that job. You’re potentially wishing children to be living in poor conditions because you can’t focus solely on the games you enjoy but instead feel the need to verbally attack those who DARED to express themselves. That’s all kinds of fucked up.

Seriously, get a grip on reality. You sound like one bad day away from going full Karen.

Last edited:

ARK1391

tbf this is probably an issue with the new facial capture tech they're using. This kind of uncanniness happens when the actor's face and the character model don't match.
Correct. I played a good chunk of H2 and I never once noticed her face looking like this. It's a combination of the facial capture and a perfectly timed screenshot to make her look as bad as possible.

ResurrectedContrarian

Suffers with mild autism
Some of the remarks here about freedom of the artists (to make whatever characters they want, etc) seem misplaced. No one is against freedom of the artists; the claim is that western publishers and major corporate platforms are the ones pushing the more woke/trendy/"empowering"/diversity concepts.

Most programmers and developers would not be that way by default--if anything, it's the socially least acceptable dudes who build systems at home (and probably used to run elaborate war campaigns on tables with miniatures) who typically pushed gaming forward and who contributed almost the entirety of gameplay concepts we still use today. And they earned the right to shape the tastes of those genres. But in recent years, another agenda--not from creatives primarily, but from corporate leaders--has greatly distorted hiring and other incentives to sanitize gaming for a "mass market" appeal, where that is defined as "anything which reveals how much hobbyist men have contributed to shaping gaming and its tastes must be suppressed."

That's how you end up with the current mess. Let the creatives do what they do, and fire the PR / middle-management / hand-wringing localization and corporate teams, kill any kind of diversity oversight on gaming content and let the developers themselves create what they want.

Compare comic books. It's clear that manga has taken over and is absolutely dominating the store shelves, while western comics are basically just a joke now and at best a footnote / expansion to the next corporate marvel movie. Clearly the money should flow towards things more like manga, based solely on what sells and has creativity--but no major western publishers will allow that, because they are in the grip of ideological nonsense.

Last edited:
And yes, it’s off putting . I can’t enjoy a game where the character is ugly. Regardless if it’s a male or female.
This right here. There's a reason why Hollywood and singers and the modeling world and social media influencers all tend to be traditionally attractive human beings. Humans like looking at traditionally attractive humans. I just don't understand why so many entertainment industries think this is so wrong because a few Twitter weirdos say it's bad.

rodrigolfp

Haptic Gamepads 4 Life

That's sad af if the most important thing on a game is the main char beauty.

boo

Gold Member
Ugly female characters in screenshots or advertisements that promote a game is a very important red flag to look for. I just look at the ugly monstrosity watching me with those piglike woke eyes. I squint back in horror as I whisper the words, thanks for the warning, vile wench. You just saved me some coin.

Filben

I want to see you ugly sons of bitches from the worst angles and lighting, photo taken in the middle of talking, and then we'll see how that turns out for ya grisly cunts. Aloy's ugly, my ass.

Aloy doesn't look super model puppet-like but she sure as hell is pretty.

tNxXEm.jpg

1Jt7kq.jpg

Peace, ye fat guts!

Fredrik

This is not a bad thing. It encourages self improvement.
But this isn't about how attractive women in games are. It's about how everyone on this site when approached with a western game can't stop bringing up how woke the industry is or how everyone working in game development is some pink haired obese feminist when in reality thats far as hell from the truth. Yes there are some woke games. Yes, the western industry has taken a turn for the worse. But it's not like games that don't have this influence don't freaking exist. There are plenty of smut games on steam, and indies for the most part still create attractive, cute female characters. And this is literally just a western problem. There is a whole other side of the world that ALSO makes video games. Consider playing those? Or even going outside? You can find plenty of hot girls if you search hard enough. It's annoying to see people whine about what should essentially be a non existent problem. We live in an age where the entire world is making video games, and people are complaining that one part of it doesn't make enough feminine women. Those types of people need to touch fucking grass
I don’t think people want ”smut games”, people just want awesome AAA games with visually appealing characters. Could be sexy curvy women and hot beefy men or just cute and beautiful characters. I mean it’s no different than how people prefer games where you drive sexy sports cars rather than some everyday family wagon.

Goalus

Alloy is one of the worst-designed characters in history holy shit. She looks like a lumpy pillow.
I wouldn't go that far, but something is really wrong with her face. And I don't think that happened on purpose. The designers could probably use some coaching.

I don’t think people want ”smut games”, people just want awesome AAA games with visually appealing characters. Could be sexy curvy women and hot beefy men or just cute and beautiful characters. I mean it’s no different than how people prefer games where you drive sexy sports cars rather than some everyday family wagon.

This. Anyone who immediately claims that people just want to "jack off" to characters is being a disingenuous twat. Bad character design and bad art direction can ruin a game. Of course everyone also has their own subjective views. Some like big boobs, others small. Some like pick abs, some like them a bit more rotund. Man or woman - but it is not an exaggeration to say that many characters are being made purposefully uglier due to certain cultural trends that many here are unhappy with and rightfully so.

ResurrectedContrarian

Suffers with mild autism
You're not sexist, reality is sexist, women like men taller than them, that also doesn't make them sexist, in both cases it's just biological attractions.
And even though women universally prefer men who are larger and stronger than them, if a character creator in some game makes the female characters have lowered strength stats (and only offers them buffs on more realistic attributes for a female character, like dexterity or stealth) you’ll see complaints, because you’re not allowed to represent biological differences.

Mozzarella

Saying i dont care i would by lying, i do care about beauty and attractive people get my attention but the poll options are not really what i want to say exactly. I believe a lot of today's gamers who are young like 14-21 years old dont really care that much about this and they just like Fortnite character artstyle, but the way the Western industry is heading is still looking not good.
A lot of cookie cutter games are being announced at these gaming shows left and right, zombies, cartoon visual style, ugly characters, generic stories, tryhard to deliver a political or social "meaningful" message, lack of soul and innovation, too much shooting and looting, microtransactions and bugfests, scams, many self-important developers, zombie games, open world.
It's a mess.
I dont think these western studios will care about that anytime soon, so the first poll options seems most likely, However few studios will eventually see that attractive characters are more appealing and revert back, but the majority will remain determined to shove their unattractive designs with their corny sarcastic marvel humor on gaming.

Edit: Western in this context refer to North America and not Europe, so CD project or Larian are excluded. I dont consider everything west of Japan to be "western". fuck that

Last edited:
You're not sexist, reality is sexist, women like men taller than them, that also doesn't make them sexist, in both cases it's just biological attractions.
Nah that makes them judgemental cunts. Everyone can put on some makeup, lose weight, get their fingernails done and put on some nice clothes. But judging about height? That‘s worse bodyshaming than men have ever done.
Got news for you man, I think you might be heterosexual.
Just because I‘d fuck the shit out of Lara doesn‘t make me heterosexual. I feel very offended by that assumption and it hurts my feelings!

64bitmodels

Reverse groomer.
Bad character design and bad art direction can ruin a game.
The games that these people seem to suggest have ugly female characters don't really have bad art direction either... unless you're willing to tell me HFW's art direction is somehow bad?
one of the people here said that Control's protagonist looked like a dude.... that game is stunning

SmokedMeat

Gamer™
It is kind of funny. TV and film is different. Still have to have good looking actors in those.

You think? I was always annoyed that these fit and attractive women were married to balding overweight men in sitcoms and commercials.

Last edited:

SmokedMeat

Gamer™
For all the pissing and moaning about western developers not portraying beautiful women, I’ve only seen Aloy and that girl from TLoU2 given as examples.

Where’s all the other ugly women if things are so bad? The Mass Effect Andromeda girl? I chalk that up to shitty artists. Not intentional design.

Tams

I think you care too much about sexy women and too little about enjoying your games for other purposes.

Rest easy. Women still exist in games. Not all of them are going to have the same body type, so learn to move past this need to make all of them look the way you want.

Piss off. It's entertainment. If I were after reality, I'd just go outside to get quiffed on.

Where's the option that says"who gives a damn"?

Not our fault you have had taste.

GymWolf

And Aloy is fine in FW. She is one of better looking protagonists recently.
Well, she could have any boobs or at least better clothing. I find all clothing options surprisingly covering and just boring lol
A rapid search on yt\google image is gonna prove you wrong.

KàIRóS

For all the pissing and moaning about western developers not portraying beautiful women, I’ve only seen Aloy and that girl from TLoU2 given as examples.

Where’s all the other ugly women if things are so bad? The Mass Effect Andromeda girl? I chalk that up to shitty artists. Not intentional design.

All pictures are from trailers shown today at Gamescom.

asArhtS.png

g24kqwt.png

SXi0g2u.png

9nTATrH.png

CEr4DVk.png

Jv5748a.png

This one is from a chinese game also shown at Gamescom

OMgmqGJ.png

Top Bottom