• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Ex-Insomniac dev throws his bosses under the bus over Rivet's design being too feminine.

ManaByte

Gold Member
I love how they claim they aren’t a hive mind but the ban absolutely anyone who has a slightly different opinion.
CC_Village_of_the_Damned_still_21_600_254_81_s.jpg

Iced Arcade

A user over at the other place who is a pretty rational and intelligent user got banned for 3 whole months for posting this.......

WenSx1w.png

Reasoning being "Dismissing Concerns Around Bigotry". Absolute BS modding over there. Looking at their posts this absolutely was not the case.
Don't bother offering a different opinion than everyone else on a FORUM. smh :messenger_unamused:
its nib95 so there is probably a lot more to it than that (gag at sounding defend'ish to reset)

GloveSlap

Dude had to mention that a woman and transgender person agreed with him. At some point "listen to (identity)" turned into "i'm (identity) so i win" during any debate or altercation.

RJMacready73

Simps for Amouranth
I'm 100% sure this was purely down to his views of how a woman should look, i.e. non feminine and gender neutral because in his world 30y.o blokes can throw on a dress and become a "woman" and let's face it 30y.o. blokes simply look like dudes in a dress with absolutely none of the features we naturally associate with actual women i.e. curves etc, so when faced with a female alien that looked female he threw a strop end off, I mean look at him ffs, does he look like the sort of person you can engage in a conversation without resorting to constant eye rolling

cormack12

Gold Member
I'm 100% sure this was purely down to his views of how a woman should look, i.e. non feminine and gender neutral because in his world 30y.o blokes can throw on a dress and become a "woman" and let's face it 30y.o. blokes simply look like dudes in a dress with absolutely none of the features we naturally associate with actual women i.e. curves etc, so when faced with a female alien that looked female he threw a strop end off, I mean look at him ffs, does he look like the sort of person you can engage in a conversation without resorting to constant eye rolling

Robert-De-Niro-dancing-dress-pink-weird-1355490285i.gif

MacReady13

What do these fucking cunts have against the female form? I worship at the alter of females. I love their look, their smells, everything about them is god-like! Why are these fucking clowns so against us seeing the female form in any medium whatsoever? Granted, I couldn't care a fuck if a video game female has big/small breasts, wide or narrow hips... Whatever. It's a fucking game. But the way some of these guys are trying to diminish the female form is baffling to me.

FunkMiller

Gold Member
What do these fucking cunts have against the female form? I worship at the alter of females. I love their look, their smells, everything about them is god-like! Why are these fucking clowns so against us seeing the female form in any medium whatsoever? Granted, I couldn't care a fuck if a video game female has big/small breasts, wide or narrow hips... Whatever. It's a fucking game. But the way some of these guys are trying to diminish the female form is baffling to me.

It’s almost as if there’s an agenda being promoted that seeks to undermine femininity, female sexuality and female empowerment, because a lot of men want to be women, and can’t have any of that…

didn’t you hear?

Naughty Dog also doesn’t care about black peepow just like Dubya

fFsSgQ0.gif

Duchess

I've been thinking about this tonight and I've got the solution:

Just make male and female models as normal, but then randomly assign them pronouns. So, we'll have women that look like women, women that look like men, men that look like men, and men that look like women. We'll also have the non-binary lot in there, who can go by they/them.

And, just for extra fun, we can have some RNG to change the pronouns every once in a while, so a character that for the past 9 hours was he/him is now they/them...!

Everyone's now happy! :D

TYRiAX

But doesn't he realise that as a ciswhiteman his opinion is irrelevant, so why would the directors listen to him?

/s

Dick Jones

Gold Member
So he was never a perm dev it looks like? Just a temp contractor.
That makes sense. A person leaves a company consistently considered one of the best places to work. That same company released a game and announced no crunch in development.

I'd say he was a pain in the tits and he was fired/contract not renewed. This is trying to be ultra woke to get noticed and a job. He now can argue that Insomniac were arseholes and won't give him a reference.

Keihart

didn’t you hear?

Naughty Dog also doesn’t care about black peepow just like Dubya

The OP of that thread is a fucking clown, 8 posts in the thread about the Japan Olimpics music and posts this.

uuvpH3T.png

Luckily most of the posters ignored him and moved on, keeping the thread on topic, but you have to be a special type of clown to constantly get triggered and post about it on Resetera only to be ignored.

MacReady13

It’s almost as if there’s an agenda being promoted that seeks to undermine femininity, female sexuality and female empowerment, because a lot of men want to be women, and can’t have any of that…
I am quite comfortable saying that there is NOTHING finer that the female form. It makes some of us go absolutely CRAZY! Why these people want to hide it is beyond my level of comprehension.

StreetsofBeige

Gold Member
I'm pretty sure the hot women love it. Less competition. Everyone knows women who look and act feminine. And not surprisingly they are the hot ones everyone wants to out to lunch with.

There's this attitude that if you look and act sexy it means youre being taken advantage of or an idiot. I know hot friends and coworkers. They seem smart to me. They're just a step higher as they are good looking too. And the good looking ones always goes the extra mile to dress better too or do their hair nice etc.... It's like they all know if they are hot or not and go the extra mile. Its rare you get a great looking women with bed head and wears track pants and dirty tshirts. They doll it up and love it.

Very few guys like women who think they are global powermongerers changing the world with their purple hair, politics and lousy attitude. A female doesnt even have to be great looking to get attention. The vast majority of men and women are average people but lose the attitude and you get attention. I dont know about you guys but my parents married and they are like a 3.5/10 on the looks scale, but hey they are super nice people and gave us kids good (although very lectury at dinner time) advice to lead a straight as an arrow life (I dont mean sexuality) and dont be an asshole. No drugs, no smoking, dont be a drop out. The usual boring lectures many of us got from immigrant parents.

Last edited:

ksdixon

HOW DARE YOU!

James STEPHANIE Sterling is absolutely STUNNING! She looks like something out of a a Dr Seuss novel!

jim-sterling-james-stephanie-sterling.jpg
ffs. At least they did bang on about industry evil's like crunch and mictotransactions, which was important. But talk about doing a disservice to your own message. People are supposed to take this person seriously, are they? Fat chance.

Last edited:

zaanan

Banned
It's proof that our simpleton human brains can't handle this rapid technological change, the internet in particular. Would corporations change their ways when a crazy person with blue hair would scream that he is gender fluid on top a crate in the town center? Nope. But they are doing exactly that with Twitter crazies. It is a small, loud minority that corporations don't understand and fear.
I respectfully disagree. For me, the Boy Scouts were the canary in the coal mine. Remember that they fought all the way to the Supreme Court for the freedom not to associate with those who would undermine their message - and won. Then, just a few short years later, they reversed course and imploded.

Likewise, these companies are not reacting in fear; these are calculated moves. Great organizations, like great countries, are destroyed from within.

OrtizTwelve

Ratchet's Game Director and Art Director wanted Rivet to look feminine. This guy and two others did not. Sounds like any other workplace disagreement but the fact that he publicly throws his bosses under the bus just rubs me the wrong way. There is nothing wrong with what they did. They are the directors. It's THEIR game, but this guy is making it sound like they were sexist and blatantly uses the Blizzard Activision sexual harassments lawsuits to make a point that there are other types of sexual discrimination taking place in the industry that we dont know about. As if making a female character feminine will somehow lead to hostile workplace environments and sexual harassments of women.

Pretty shameful stuff. This is why devs shouldnt even worry about female characters imo. You will never please these idiots.

That last quote is something. No, putting tits on rivet harms no one. If you are taking offense to it, you have other issues that you need to get sorted out.

This guy sounds like a weirdo. Probably eats grilled tofu with soy almond milk for dinner, and is probably a huge creep in the dating scene.

Men like this are naturally repulsive, because we all know they’re full of shit, even women.

I can't

uuMorLF.png

lBL7OHO.png

:messenger_grinning_smiling::messenger_grinning_smiling::messenger_grinning_smiling::messenger_grinning::messenger_neutral: wait, they're serious
Anyone who thinks women don't sexually harass has never worked in an office full of women, especially on the days where the fire department come to check the alarms and sprinklers lol. I worked in an office that was 28 women and 3 men, all of the people in management were women etc. They made the dirtiest jokes, talked about nasty stuff etc and it was fun because they weren't uptight they just had a good time and they flirted with all of the guys just to be playful. Now a days you'd get one blue hair in there as a temp and they'd have twitter attacking it the next day because she'd hear one of the guys make a joke back to someone and take offense.

If Era is really thinking about banning big devs like Insomniac, I'm probably going to get myself banned there lmao.
I'm not a dev but I got banned there my first week for going against the grain, people who were part of the hive mind made personal attacks against me and nothing but me just questioning something got me banned. Resetera is good for some inside news from devs from time to time I guess but otherwise it's worthless.

Woggleman

The vast majority of women I have worked with were just as dirty as the men and that was okay because the vast majority were not hypocrites about it. It really is only a small percentage of women who want to turn everything a man does into some offense.

Restera is almost like a parody of SJWs. Even the most hardcore Trump hating leftists I know are not that extreme.

Last edited:

StreetsofBeige

Gold Member
This guy sounds like a weirdo. Probably eats grilled tofu with soy almond milk for dinner, and is probably a huge creep in the dating scene.

Men like this are naturally repulsive, because we all know they’re full of shit, even women.
Just imagine the situation. A board room meeting and a contract worker making 3D art is trying to call the shots over full time directors, and even grabbing pictures off walls (or some shit) trying to make an angry point about a video game character.

yurinka

Why does she need any human features? Lets just put her back on all fours as the most realistic fox ever.
She isn't a fox. She is a cartoon antropomorphic alien, like Ratchet. So it's normal to have antropomorphic/human features.

In addition to this, as character she's the female version of another (male) antropomorphic alien. So to visually differientiate her from him, it would be normal to give her some female features because if not she would be basically the same character.

What's bizarre is how they have quickly forgotten how woke and progressive insomniac has been lately. I always bring up this super in your face scene from Miles where Miles who happens to be half black and half hispanic goes to this Christmas festival in Harlem with his Asian best friend where he meets a lesbian couple doing the salsa dance then meets a deaf and mute black love interest, and finally attends a democrat rally. I mean maybe thats what Harlem is like nowadays but you cant say that this particular studio doesnt go out of its way to have female representation in their games.

That's why you don't pander to these crazies. It is never enough. And if you try, you're doing it wrong.

Fuck them all. Just go back to making games about things that matter instead of forcing in "diversification"

She isn't a fox. She is a cartoon antropomorphic alien, like Ratchet. So it's normal to have antropomorphic/human features.

In addition to this, as character she's the female version of another (male) antropomorphic alien. So to visually differientiate her from him, it would be normal to give her some female features because if not she would be basically the same character.
I was being sarcastic. lol ✌🏽

Glad to know he left the company. Imagine if he had full control of character design lol. Anyways, I think Rivet's design strikes a good balance.

Isn't it funny that most of the people who complain about female character designs being too sexy are from super soft Men? Go ask a random woman on the street what she thinks about sexy character designs in games and I guarantee most will likely say "I don't care" or "Lara Croft is pretty hot". Sorry to say, but the average woman doesn't mind seeing sexy women in movies or games. Maybe if these dudes actually talked to women for a change they would understand this.

Last edited:

StreetsofBeige

Gold Member
Isn't it funny that most of the people who complain about female character designs being too sexy are from super soft Men? Go ask a random woman on the street what she thinks about sexy character designs in games and I guarantee most will likely say "I don't care" or "Lara Croft is pretty hot". Sorry to say, but the average woman doesn't mind seeing sexy women in movies or games. Maybe if these dudes actually talked to women for a change they would understand this.
Totally.

Go to any shopping mall. What does everyone see? Food court, maybe a Walmart, a bank, maybe a currency converter shop. When it comes to fashion, it's like 90% womens stores trying glitz up with fancy clothes, jewelry, handbag and ladies shoe stores. And if it's a big mall a Sephora shop.

As for guys, you'll probably get 1 or 2 boring suit stores.

And women love shopping, and most of the people working at these gender based stores are female too.

The only part of the whole mall that caters to boring drab women who dont give a shit is probably Walmart with their $10 fashion and XXXL sizes.

Last edited:
Aawww and he's doing this all for his fellow devs...how brave and considerate of this...attention whore who i bet got kicked out of the company for his incompetence and that left a sexually-undefined bump on his butthurt ego.

ERA is largely a collection of clowns who pose no threat to anyone or the gaming industry in any tangible capacity. The concern is overly sensitive game devs skewing the industry towards their mold of sexuality ala Anita Sarkisan esque values.

See any female in a rocksteady batman game and compare it to Harley Quinn in their shitty looking new Suicide Squad game. That's the only thing that I can see becoming an issue.

longdi

Banned
so much red flags to this purple furry....

and none of IG recent games backs his claims...

resetera needs to question the authenticity of his drama instead of just huddling each others into misery 🤷‍♀️

StreetsofBeige

Gold Member
Aawww and he's doing this all for his fellow devs...how brave and considerate of this...attention whore who i bet got kicked out of the company for his incompetence and that left a sexually-undefined bump on his butthurt ego.
The guy is out of a job at the moment.

You'd think someone publicly badmouthing an old employer and bosses about board room antics would be a red flag to avoid hiring him.

But given how woke some game companies are, some are probably offering him a job right now as he'll fit in at work with his purple tshirt.

Top Bottom