• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Ex-Insomniac dev throws his bosses under the bus over Rivet's design being too feminine.

There seems to be so many people like this in the industry now. Where did they all come from all of a sudden? Even just a couple years ago no one would bat an eyelid at a female character with big breasts and meaty ass.

Also why is this exclusive to the videogame industry? Women are literally used as sex objects in music videos, and are highly sexualised in movies and tv shows. These are actual real women too. Not digital pixels.

Last edited:
So she doesn't have a female figure (visible breasts and curvy hips) because she's a blue, space fox/thing but it's ok for her to have manicured eyebrows, a small button nose and earrings to make her look feminine? Interesting...

kruis

Exposing the sinister cartel of retailers who allow companies to pay for advertising space.
What's bizarre is how they have quickly forgotten how woke and progressive insomniac has been lately. I always bring up this super in your face scene from Miles where Miles who happens to be half black and half hispanic goes to this Christmas festival in Harlem with his Asian best friend where he meets a lesbian couple doing the salsa dance then meets a deaf and mute black love interest, and finally attends a democrat rally. I mean maybe thats what Harlem is like nowadays but you cant say that this particular studio doesnt go out of its way to have female representation in their games.
R&C: A Rift in Time also went out of its way to be progressive, inclusive and safe and non threatening. Not just the inclusion of a playable female Lombax (who probably got more play time than Ratchet), but also the number of female characters in the game. There were female miners, female pirates, Mr Zurkon was now Mrs Zurkon, those alien monks were obviously black, Clank made a point in the game that he liked having just one arm (signalling that it's OK to have a disability), etc. There were hardly any rough edges, even an undersea monster that threatened to gobble you up for an entire level was really only a misunderstood lovable beast and the scenes with the depressed, misunderstood yellow robot Kit ("I'm so sad, nobody wants to be friends with me. I'm broken and I'd better leave") were cloyingly saccharine.

That's exactly the kind of environment where you'll find the game directors asking artists to sex up Rivet because her boobs aren't big enough.

DapperSloth

Y7Pu0H.jpg

Of course Xavier. Of course.

This is how all people who get called out being fucking morons respond, they are like fucking anti-vaxxers and flat-earthers.
(from https://twitter.com/sophnar0747):

COqCxDw.jpg

Kholinar

Banned
"Why would a space-fox have human-like breasts?!"

Well, gee, why would a space-fox have bipedal structure, human-like clothing, emotions, voice, etc. The character was clearly anthropomorphized to relate to a human audience, so why have tiddies and wider hips, which are the starkest illustrations of female biology, as your hang-up? It defies reason.

Keihart

What a twitter attention seeking bitch that Xavier is, the final design it's pretty tomboyish in my book, what is he even complaining about. Reads like some salty neckbeard trying to gain outrage attention on twitter.

Disclaimer, i even like tomboyish designs for girls in action roles, it's what makes sense. Watching girls in heels and skinny arms punching through hulks and doing flips rubs me the wrong way unless justified like Bayonetta.
What a Clown, imagine working with someone that acts like a child and rips posters of the wall because his idea is not well received.

Last edited:

Elysion

Banned
because other space foxes do, that's just how it is

0hgYzj9.jpg

Crystal’s design is pretty good, all things considered. Despite the fact that she’s clearly supposed to be ‘sexy’, I don’t find her design nearly as creepy or offensive as I find most ‘sexy’ furry characters. It’s probably due to her proportions; her large head in relation to the rest of her body as well as her small breasts make her look more ‘cute’ then ‘sexy’, if that makes any sense. Quite unlike that female Lombax from the earlier R&C games that people have posted before, whose large breasts and overall body size make her look kind of out of place. The same goes for Tawna from Crash 4; her proportions are too ‘human’ for my taste, which gives her that creepy furry look.

I wouldn’t have complained if Rivet’s more ‘feminine’ design had been similar to Crystal’s (but with more clothes, of course). Still, Rivet’s actual design is awesome as it is, and probably fits better as a female version of Ratchet.

StreetsofBeige

Gold Member

Well, gee, why would a space-fox have bipedal structure, human-like clothing, emotions, voice, etc. The character was clearly anthropomorphized to relate to a human audience, so why have tiddies and wider hips, which are the starkest illustrations of female biology, as your hang-up? It defies reason.
Who knew animals wore earrings.

assurdum

Banned
That's really unbelievable. I mean we have to scrutinize every little details in a game to find something which probably could hurts the woman, LGBT feeling? This thing start to be ridiculous.

It seems like no matter what game devs do, they are screwed either way. Make a female character "too feminine" and they get attacked by the Twitter mob and political fanatics. Make a female character "not feminine enough" and people complain about making them too ugly. I think the balance between feminine and over-sexualized has been lost in translation. Like if we even suggest wider hips and some visible boobs is somehow "problematic".

I highly doubt Insomniac wanted to make Rivet sexy. They probably just wanted to make her look more feminine and this clown took it as oppression for women. I'm so fucking glad I never went into video game development. I think they should make whatever art they want to without having the fear of either political side getting butthurt about it.

. . .is this REALLY what you took from this? You can argue that the Tweet Author is being a bit too hand-holdy in their "allyship" but what does RIVET need "human" tits for? It is a fair complaint.
Why does she need any human features? Lets just put her back on all fours as the most realistic fox ever.

It seems like no matter what game devs do, they are screwed either way. Make a female character "too feminine" and they get attacked by the Twitter mob and political fanatics. Make a female character "not feminine enough" and people complain about making them too ugly. I think the balance between feminine and over-sexualized has been lost in translation. Like if we even suggest wider hips and some visible boobs is somehow "problematic".

I highly doubt Insomniac wanted to make Rivet sexy. They probably just wanted to make her look more feminine and this clown took it as oppression for women. I'm so fucking glad I never went into video game development. I think they should make whatever art they want to without having the fear of either political side getting butthurt about it.
I'd hate to be a character designer in this day and age.

Last edited:

GhostOfTsu

Banned
The most ugly woman is 1000 times prettier than any man in this world.
lady gaga love GIF
scott eastwood beach GIF

R&C: A Rift in Time also went out of its way to be progressive, inclusive and safe and non threatening. Not just the inclusion of a playable female Lombax (who probably got more play time than Ratchet), but also the number of female characters in the game. There were female miners, female pirates, Mr Zurkon was now Mrs Zurkon, those alien monks were obviously black, Clank made a point in the game that he liked having just one arm (signalling that it's OK to have a disability), etc. There were hardly any rough edges, even an undersea monster that threatened to gobble you up for an entire level was really only a misunderstood lovable beast and the scenes with the depressed, misunderstood yellow robot Kit ("I'm so sad, nobody wants to be friends with me. I'm broken and I'd better leave") were cloyingly saccharine.

That's exactly the kind of environment where you'll find the game directors asking artists to sex up Rivet because her boobs aren't big enough.
You are never woke enough. They did everything right and the wokes just turned around and found something else to complain about. Same for Naughty Dog.

Is that guy claiming that ratchet isn't instantly recognizable as a Male?

Look at ANY of the cover art for any of the games and explain how hes not recognized by male by everyone? This guys just told on himself and how much of a dumb fuck he is.

Also pretty sure Rivets design was universally liked/loved by everyone. Looks like you were wrong there pal, sorry?

Whenever these people championed "for more diversity", I figured it would just mean more variety in character appearence. Not going for complete annihilation of traditional beauty or sexy looks. There's room for both. This take on that feminity is somehow "unnatural" or "wrong" is totally asinine.

People are out of their fucking mind. Where is Rivet 'too feminine'? She looks like a Ratched clone.

I think those guys are sick. They really need help.
Obviously, she's lacking distinguishable hairy armpits, a monobrow, faint moustache and tattooes that signify the downfall of the patriachy.

GuinGuin

Banned

It's insulting to women to say what body shapes are and are not allowed to be shown. For the record I think both Quiet and Abby are good representations of women. There should be a spectrum from busty big girls to skinny girls to muscular girls. If you want women to relate to a female character there is no reason she shouldn't look like a woman. It's an anthropomorphic representation of a woman. Nothing wrong with giving her human body shapes.

raduque

This is the problem with the internet really, people like THIS can be the center of attention. It's just wrong. So wrong.
This is why I keep saying the Internet was a mistake

He had no problem sexualizing her last year and joking about it with Sol, the other ex-employee going against Insomniac. The woke virus infected them suddenly and now everything is problematic. Hypocrites.

It's absolutely OK to sexualize characters as long as it's alternative sexualization ( ie: furry, LGBTQASOIHFGK$EHJW++- ), but traditional sexualization is bad and evil because it's associated with straight white people and making more people.

Last edited:
A quick look in this guys face tells you everything you need to know. Very nice of him to show it to the world so we don't waste any time seriously contemplating his intellectual diarrhea.

StreetsofBeige

Gold Member
It's insulting to women to say what body shapes are and are not allowed to be shown. For the record I think both Quiet and Abby are good representations of women. There should be a spectrum from busty big girls to skinny girls to muscular girls. If you want women to relate to a female character there is no reason she shouldn't look like a woman. It's an anthropomorphic representation of a woman. Nothing wrong with giving her human body shapes.
The funny thing about men and women, it can be argued the most natural feature that easily distinguish the difference between and man and woman at first look is tit size.

Things like make up, long or short hair, earrings etc.... are all human made differences due to society norms and culture. But bust size is what naturally occurs.

Yet some people want to melting pot a natural born difference as if men and women should have the same chest size. Like they are embarrassed some people have bigger tits than another. Relax, it's just tits.

Yet everything else like superficial things like I listed above, or other naturally biological norms like women normally are shorter, less bulky and have smaller feet are a-ok to keep femininity. And just about every game has females with obvious feminine high pitched voices. Not very often you see a female video game character with a deep monotone voice.

Last edited:

oagboghi2

You the one who is mad that they didn't put titties on a fox but we weird for going "yea, throwing titties on it is odd"...
Yeah, it is weird that you see a cartoon character have a chest and your brain immediately goes to sex? That isn’t normal dude.

Cartoon characters have had breasts since…forever. It hasn’t been offensive until now apparently

IntentionalPun

Ask me about my wife's perfect butthole
There's a lot to unpack here.. but is it really worth the Twitter woke brownie points for this pointless controversy you may have rustled up?

Like you aren't outing real harassment, or racism.. things that honestly in the rather progressive tech culture out there wouldn't stop anyone from hiring you... you are outing some minor ass character design convos... this is the kind of shit any employer should look at and say "Yeah I don't trust this person's judgement."

Maybe he's just that good of an artist.. but that is a damn crowded field.. competing with some great artists from poor countries and shit lol

Last edited:

daTRUballin

But we're not talking about ideals, we're talking about how people conduct themselves on behalf of their ideals. In embracing the attitude that "my ideals are better, so I'm justified in forcing them on other people," the left are quite evidently becoming the proud inheritors of the church-going puritan zeal.
Kinda funny how the pendulum has swung. I think in regards to the gaming industry specifically, I would say maybe 2014 was the point where things started to shift this way with the whole GamerGate thing. And then it got worse and worse with each passing year until the Trump era basically turned things up to 11.

It's funny. If you go back and read some older GAF threads from before 2014 that are about women or female celebrities, you get a bunch of posters "ogling" and posting extremely pervy and perhaps "sexist" comments. Now these very same people are the ones posting on sites like Era. The kind of people that used to laugh at this stuff are now the people most of this thread is criticizing. It's crazy.

Last edited:

CGiRanger

Banned
I'd hate to be a character designer in this day and age.
Unless you're in Japan/East Asia. Then your characters will be fan-arted to hell and back (just look at the recent Genshin Impact)

Or hell again Xenoblade 2. The western puritans hated Pyra and Mythra. But they're super popular with the fanart core community, and of course now they're Smash reps too (Era PTSD went loopy)

Last edited:
Did you copy paste comments across from resetera to rant about them remotely?

I think there's a dedicated thread for this..

"Keep it in your pants" comes to mind

Jah bless

Edit: anyway, any positions implying that there's a political difference between resetera and here feel a bit dated, since gaf spent the last 6 months of so trying to scour itself of the kind of people who have militant opinions about this pointless crap.. gaf is neutral ground compared to this time last year

Yes, yes I did, and it felt good 👍

This doesn't have as much to do with political differences (even if I used terms like far-leftist or whatever; btw in terms of this "culture war" stuff I'm pretty much in the middle again after being on both sides and seeing how stupid they both get) so much as tendencies which online tend to swing one way or another in terms of what side of the political spectrum usually adopt them. The puritanical viewpoints on modern-day women usually informed by male feminists of all people, seems to be something more associated with the far-left side of the politics aisle, hence why I was saying that.

And yes, it's a very weird position for them to have because they're being discriminatory against females who happen to have some hips and boobs, which accounts for the majority in the world, and beyond that they also ALWAYS tend to sexualize that or any depictions when that is often them projecting their own personal sexual tendencies/guilt etc. onto other people.

I can ask why Lola Bunny got her cup size basically eliminated without it being for a reason of sexual gratification.

Oh, 100% Again, woke cunts are usually hipocrites. For internet points they will use their buzzwords like 'problematic' but in another tab they have hardcore hentai playing.

Well on that level it might make some sense. That's what we call a mental crisis and sexual insecurity. Thing is, they want to make everyone else pay for their own personal issues, that's where they consistently screw up.

Razvedka

Banned
Kinda funny how the pendulum has swung. I think in regards to the gaming industry specifically, I would say maybe 2014 was the point where things started to shift this way with the whole GamerGate thing. And then it got worse and worse with each passing year until the Trump era basically turned things up to 11.

It's funny. If you go back and read some older GAF threads from before 2014 that are about women or female celebrities, you get a bunch of posters "ogling" and posting extremely pervy and perhaps "sexist" comments. Now these very same people are the ones posting on sites like Era. The kind of people that used to laugh at this stuff are now the people most of this thread is criticizing. It's crazy.
If one interprets at least some of this behavior as being down to of social conformity and access to sex, then it's actually not contradictory. The social 'rules' of the game changed, but not their objective.

They hope to be liked and rewarded for their behavior, but ultimately they've simply adapted themselves to their surrounding environment to 'blend'. This doesn't necessarily mean they don't believe (or think they believe) the things that they say, it's not all clear cut and calculated.

GymWolf

I love a good dunking thread. What a fucking dweeb this furry is.
there you go

Top Bottom