• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Ex-Insomniac dev throws his bosses under the bus over Rivet's design being too feminine.

This discussion that he had was super stupid. But I'd like to live in a world where the original discussion happened and it didn't end so terrible. But more importantly, I wish this ex-dev could have posted about how this was a good experience even if he didn't get his way.

Why can't there be more positivity in gaming development narratives on Twitter?
Frankly, I don't think anything really happened at the end of that discussion. The team of people coinvolted in It Simply haven't bene able to find an agreement, which Is not a rare case. We really don't even know how they solved the problem in the following days. The only terrible thing in all of this, Is the decisione of this person, once terminated his contract in Insomniac, to write some stupid, accusatore tweets with no substance at all but only some great injections of virtues signaling

mckmas8808

Mckmaster uses MasterCard to buy Slave drives
Frankly, I don't think anything really happened at the end of that discussion. The team of people coinvolted in It Simply haven't bene able to find an agreement, which Is not a rare case. We really don't even know how they solved the problem in the following days. The only terrible thing in all of this, Is the decisione of this person, once terminated his contract in Insomniac, to write some stupid, accusatore tweets with no substance at all but only some great injections of virtues signaling

I wish there was an emoji that represented just how much I agree with your post. For now I'll go with

301-3019352_emoji-100-png-transparent-png.png

Vaelka

The most baffling thing to me about this is that this guy the self-appointed saviour of women and trans-folk doesn't understand the problem with treating a trans man as an authority on womens bodies.
If anything a trans man would be less of an authority because being trans often/ usually comes with body dysphoria...
A trans man isn't a good person to ask about womens bodies and how they're represented.

Both because they often have negative thoughts and feelings on it due to their own experience with dysphoria but also because it can actually trigger it by having to think and talk about it like that.
So it's not only kinda offensive to women but it's also dangerous to trans men because asking them to do this make them so personally involved can bring up old trauma and make them really uncomfortable.

Being trans doesn't make you an authority on anything here other than maybe the representation of trans characters.
Not saying that if you're trans or a woman that you're an authority on anything really you only speak for yourself, but I'd still take what a trans person has to say more seriously if the character is trans.
But you have to be completely clueless to take what a trans man says about womens bodies more seriously and act like it lends more credit to your argument to use them as a shield.

Edit: To be clear what I am referring to is one of the people he's talking about who agreed with him that worked there too.
He's a trans man and this Xavier guy used him as an authority here as if his word mattered more.

Last edited:

rnlval

Ratchet's Game Director and Art Director wanted Rivet to look feminine. This guy and two others did not. Sounds like any other workplace disagreement but the fact that he publicly throws his bosses under the bus just rubs me the wrong way. There is nothing wrong with what they did. They are the directors. It's THEIR game, but this guy is making it sound like they were sexist and blatantly uses the Blizzard Activision sexual harassments lawsuits to make a point that there are other types of sexual discrimination taking place in the industry that we dont know about. As if making a female character feminine will somehow lead to hostile workplace environments and sexual harassments of women.

Pretty shameful stuff. This is why devs shouldnt even worry about female characters imo. You will never please these idiots.

That last quote is something. No, putting tits on rivet harms no one. If you are taking offense to it, you have other issues that you need to get sorted out.

Woke... Censorship Taliban. A science (biology) denier.

Top Bottom