• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

What's wrong with the DualSense 5's battery-life?

Kupfer

Short and crisp,
I have a PS5 and 2 DualSense controllers. It happens that the console stays in rest mode during the week and I want to continue playing 5-6 days later. I've noticed several times now that the controller I last played with, which still had 1-2 bars in the battery HUD, is completely empty after this time in rest mode.
Has anyone else noticed the same thing, or does anyone know why the controller stays "on" and consumes power? My suspicion : is the microphone always-on so that it can accept voice commands?
I didn't test or try anything, just plug it in and use the other one, but it kind of bothers me nevertheless. Feels unpolished for new hardware.

[EDIT]
While I use the controllers normally, the battery life is convincing. I can easily play for 6-10 hours on one charge, depending on the game. So I rule out the possibility of a defect.

Last edited:

MegaBustet

I think yours is defective. I leave mine in rest mode all the time and my controller doesn't loose any of those charge indication bars at all when I'm not touching it.

I have a PS4 Pro and i remember in settings under Power Save options there was one specifically about rest mode and will it charge your gamepad or not. I believe you need to turn that on in settings.

Im not home now so cant give you a 100% answer. But for me, my gamepads charge to 100% when in rest mode and even if i dont play for 3 days its still full bars.

Last edited:

Withnail

It's garbage compared to the XSX one, had to buy a charging station to avoid having to connect it to USB almost everyday.

Sony uses a higher polling rate than MS, meaning PS controllers have lower latency than Xbox at the cost of greater power consumption. It's a trade-off.

I hardly ever run out of controller power mid-session, and if I do I have a generic USB charger near my sofa anyway, so I'm happy with the reduced latency.

cormack12

Gold Member
If that's what you suspect then it isn't an issue with the battery life. You're saying it only affects the last controller you played with (interchangeably) while the other one is ok. I only have one controller but this isn't something I experience. When you put down your controller after rest mode, is it somewhere cold? Weather isn't great at the moment and cold makes discharge quicker. Is it accidentally switching on/being knocked and you're not noticing and the PS5 is just turning itself off when the time reaches it auto standby etc. Are you charging with poor quality cables/different outlets? Have you tried turing haptics and triggers off to see if it makes a difference?

You're gonna have to do some proper troubleshooting to see what affects it and what doesn't.

M1chl

Currently Gif and Meme Champion
6-10 hours is still not much, but it last at least one game session. I don't know Series controller with eneloops give me like 40 hours of gameplay, around 20 with headphones.

Also self drain of battery is a thing and healthy Li-pol cells, appears to be charge and then they suddenly die.

Miles708

Is there a specific reason to keep your console on rest mode for that much time? Ps5 is probably keeping track of your internet while the controller constantly uses its microphone. I'd check the microphone first.

That said: turn off your shit, people. You even have an Ssd now ffs.

Last edited:

Mokus

Short and crisp,
I have a PS5 and 2 DualSense controllers. It happens that the console stays in rest mode during the week and I want to continue playing 5-6 days later. I've noticed several times now that the controller I last played with, which still had 1-2 bars in the battery HUD, is completely empty after this time in rest mode.
Has anyone else noticed the same thing, or does anyone know why the controller stays "on" and consumes power? My suspicion : is the microphone always-on so that it can accept voice commands?
I didn't test or try anything, just plug it in and use the other one, but it kind of bothers me nevertheless. Feels unpolished for new hardware.

[EDIT]
While I use the controllers normally, the battery life is convincing. I can easily play for 6-10 hours on one charge, depending on the game. So I rule out the possibility of a defect.
I think you didn't enabled the option charging while in rest mode from the PS5.

Kupfer

Mine are fine
Ok.Cool.
I have a PS4 Pro and i remember in settings under Power Save options there was one specifically about rest mode and will it charge your gamepad or not. I believe you need to turn that on in settings.

Im not home now so cant give you a 100% answer. But for me, my gamepads charge to 100% when in rest mode and even if i dont play for 3 days its still full bars.
It's not about the controller which is charging. That one works and charges like 3h after I put the PlayStation in rest mode. The one lying around is empty after some days.
If that's what you suspect then it isn't an issue with the battery life. You're saying it only affects the last controller you played with (interchangeably) while the other one is ok. I only have one controller but this isn't something I experience. When you put down your controller after rest mode, is it somewhere cold? Weather isn't great at the moment and cold makes discharge quicker. Is it accidentally switching on/being knocked and you're not noticing and the PS5 is just turning itself off when the time reaches it auto standby etc. Are you charging with poor quality cables/different outlets? Have you tried turing haptics and triggers off to see if it makes a difference?

You're gonna have to do some proper troubleshooting to see what affects it and what doesn't.
It's lying around in the living room, so it's not colder than 18C° when nobody is at home.
PS5 goes to rest mode, light is yellow, the controller used to put it in rest mode ( so not the one connected to the PS5 ) has no LEDs blinking. So I guess it's "off" or in listening mode. That's what I asked for. I didn't find any information about this. I guess I have to open the controller to measure, if there is any power consumption during rest mode, with and without the microphone connected.
Is there a specific reason to keep your console on rest mode for that much time? Ps5 is probably keeping track of your internet while the controller constantly uses its microphone. I'd check the microphone first.

That said: turn off your shit, people. You even have an Ssd now ffs.
The reason is lazyness. I pay for automatic updates and uploads, so I'm going to use it to not have to wait, when I want to play.

I think you didn't enabled the option charging while in rest mode from the PS5.
It's about the controller NOT plugged in to the console.

Last edited:

Miles708

I'm repeating myself but did you check microphone settings? Is the dual sense recording you all week long?

Edit: sorry, missed your previous answer. Try turning that microphone shit off and see if it makes a difference

Kupfer

I'm repeating myself but did you check microphone settings? Is the dual sense recording you all week long?
That was my question, I didn't find anything on this.
If you say, there is an "always-on" setting for the microphone and I can just switch it off, then this thread is redundant and can be closed.

cyen

Sony uses a higher polling rate than MS, meaning PS controllers have lower latency than Xbox at the cost of greater power consumption. It's a trade-off.

I hardly ever run out of controller power mid-session, and if I do I have a generic USB charger near my sofa anyway, so I'm happy with the reduced latency.

Can't even tell that difference from normal gameplay, can't say if it makes any difference in 120hz games (don't have a TV that supports it) but for the standard ones I would prefer to have more battery time.

Kupfer

I've found this, detailing 3 ways to turn off microphone. Maybe you will find it useful:

I don't have the console myself to check, so I'm sorry if it's incorrect.
As far as I understand this article, all 3 ways refer to mute the mic while using the console (which i do by pressing the mute button (orange LED's turns on) ).
Sure, I'll give it a try, but I honestly don't think it'll help. Thank you anyway.

Last edited:

cormack12

Gold Member
I'm repeating myself

Yes, you are.

d3d03cbfb2ba83650153600b8fa9662c.jpg

:D

Kupfer

Sounds like a defect. I use my PS5 about once a week and my controller charge doesn’t diminish.
If so, it's weird that it doesn't matter which controller is "idling". The one which came with the console day 1 behaves just like the one I bought separately. Both had two updates now. And since it seems like I am the only one having this issue, it would be pretty uncommon for both controllers being defective the same way.
I honestly hoped, that you guys have the same problem and it's just how it is :messenger_grinning_sweat:

[EDIT]

When you are setting console it asks you how it should behave in rest mode. And charging pads was one of things modified by this. You probably went for most saving option so pads aren't charged.

Aenima

Short and crisp,

[EDIT]
Do you leave the controller conected to the console in rest mode? Cuz the console only charges the controller for a short amount of time in rest mode and then stops giving it power to save energy. I think i saw a power saving options to leave the console always giving power to the controller. As u said its possible the controller stay on stanby while conected to receive voice comands.

I usually leave my controller in the charging station when im done playing, but even when i leave it out from one day to another i dont notice any decrease in the controller charge.

I dont use rest mode though. Always turn off the console.

I have been using my PS5 every day since i bough it, but i know the controllers can hold they charge for days while off as when i got my console and bought my extra controller, they both had 2 bars of charge left on them when i conected them for the 1st time.

Last edited:
Short and crisp,

[EDIT]

It's not the same when you playing Astro Playroom or Demon's Souls for example. Astro drains battery much harder than Demon's.
Anyway, you can adjust vibration intensity and trigger effect intensity and volume of course in accessories settings on PS5.
Anyway, around 12-13 hours for normal playing.

Also, i've bought this and got additional 1500 mAh. So, up to 25 hours

61p3LW9iCHL._SL1500_.jpg

Last edited:
I left my controller with what looked like a fair amount of battery left on Friday after a 4-5 hour session on Persona 5 (so no triggers and hardly and vibration) and it was totally dead (like zero charge so wouldn't even turn the PS5 on) this morning after not being touched all weekend.

I don't have a dock yet but just charge one controller when using the other so no big deal but still kind of surprising.

cormack12

Gold Member
It's not the same when you playing Astro Playroom or Demon's Souls for example. Astro drains battery much harder than Demon's.
Anyway, you can adjust vibration intensity and trigger effect intensity and volume of course in accessories settings on PS5.
Anyway, around 12-13 hours for normal playing.

Also, i've bought this and got additional 1500 mAh. So, up to 25 hours

61p3LW9iCHL._SL1500_.jpg

Burn it with fire

WRI04r3.jpg

Make sure you enable power always going to the USB port in the power settings. Once I did that my controller charged just fine.

That should arguably be the default but given the press had console manufacturers under a TON of scrutiny for power consumption and the "carbon footprint of consoles", they're doing it to be eco-friendly and cut power consumption by default.

This is allegedly why a lot of systems had issues trying to quick resume from rest mode too; portable hard drives would stop getting power after a couple of hours and be shut down while running.

JimboJones

I wonder if they could give us an option to underclock it, I'm willing to bet some people would be willing to sacrafice a slight increase in latency to extended battery life, especially for more slow paced cinematic games.

R6Rider

Gold Member
Battery seems fine to me. Then again, I always keep mine charged as it's easy and like 3 feet away.

6-10 hours is still not much, but it last at least one game session. I don't know Series controller with eneloops give me like 40 hours of gameplay, around 20 with headphones.

Also self drain of battery is a thing and healthy Li-pol cells, appears to be charge and then they suddenly die.

Geez, how much free time you people have that 10hrs is considered "at least one game session"?!

M1chl

Currently Gif and Meme Champion
Geez, how much free time you people have that 10hrs is considered "at least one game session"?!
I mean, DS4 lasted very short time period when you have turned of the vibration, that it was not for weekend play, I don't have kids so meh... Also writing on gaming forum "you play to much lolz" is ultra cringe.

Gamerguy84

I don't have any problems with it discharging on its own. It's a lithium ion 1560mah so it holds more charge than a DS4.

I've read that USB-C charge fills them up quicker but I have a Samsung galaxy charger beside me, upstairs and downstairs, that I hook it up to. My controllers have never been plugged into the PS5.

I mean, DS4 lasted very short time period when you have turned of the vibration, that it was not for weekend play, I don't have kids so meh... Also writing on gaming forum "you play to much lolz" is ultra cringe.

I never said you play too much. I was just surprised that 10hrs would be a single game session to people. That's wild to me. No shade.

Last edited:

Kupfer

Since I didn't find anything about the problem I got, I asked the Playstation support. They answered:

Thank you for your request to PlayStation Support.

Please accept our apologies for the delayed response.

We are sorry to hear that you are experiencing difficulties with your DualSense.

In order to troubleshoot or further isolate the issue, we ask that you try the following step.

Reset the controller:

To do this, please turn off the PS5 first.
The reset button is located in a small hole on the back of the controller, near the L2 button.
Use a toothpick or other pointed object to press the reset button for 5-10 seconds. Connect the controller with the USB cable to your PlayStation 5.

After that, please turn on the PS5 again. Press the PS button on the controller and test its functionality.

Otherwise, please also test another USB cable.

Please also check if an update for the DualSense controller is available.
Turn on the console and connect the controller with the cable to the PlayStation 5, then press the PS button on the controller. If there is an update available, please perform it.

With kind regards

A pretty basic answer if you ask me, like they don't know either. I guess I'll just reset the controller as suggested.
Stupid me didn't even think about a reset button

Maybe this will help someone somehow .

Top Bottom