• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

What's wrong with the DualSense 5's battery-life?

reforen

It's not the same when you playing Astro Playroom or Demon's Souls for example. Astro drains battery much harder than Demon's.
Anyway, you can adjust vibration intensity and trigger effect intensity and volume of course in accessories settings on PS5.
Anyway, around 12-13 hours for normal playing.

Also, i've bought this and got additional 1500 mAh. So, up to 25 hours

61p3LW9iCHL._SL1500_.jpg
I thought having an external battery for the controller was considered a sin in this forum

Areiz

Banned
Short and crisp,
I have a PS5 and 2 DualSense controllers. It happens that the console stays in rest mode during the week and I want to continue playing 5-6 days later. I've noticed several times now that the controller I last played with, which still had 1-2 bars in the battery HUD, is completely empty after this time in rest mode.
Has anyone else noticed the same thing, or does anyone know why the controller stays "on" and consumes power? My suspicion : is the microphone always-on so that it can accept voice commands?
I didn't test or try anything, just plug it in and use the other one, but it kind of bothers me nevertheless. Feels unpolished for new hardware.

[EDIT]
While I use the controllers normally, the battery life is convincing. I can easily play for 6-10 hours on one charge, depending on the game. So I rule out the possibility of a defect.
The battery isn't in line with the dualshock 4?

Aenima

I don't see the problem.

Buy 2 controllers and just swap them if one runs out of juice.

Problem solved.

Better than using AA gameboy battery tech...
I recomend getting a changing station instead.

I used to do the controller swapping on PS4.

On PS5 i also bought 2 controllers to do the same, but i also got a charging station, and i never use the 2nd controller cuz my main controller never runs out of juice as i always put him on the charging station when im done playing for the day.

It's garbage compared to the XSX one, had to buy a charging station to avoid having to connect it to USB almost everyday.
Did OP ask for any sort of comparisons with Xbox or are you just attempting to derail & troll the thread?
GTFO if you have nothing useful to add.

OP your controller may be defective. Return it if you notice these issues.

Last edited:

BigLee74

Did OP ask for any sort of comparisons with Xbox or are you just attempting to derail & troll the thread?
GTFO if you have nothing useful to add.

OP your controller may be defective. Return it if you notice these issues.

Yet you didn’t feel the need to chastise the poster who claimed it was because the dualsense polled more often than MS for less input lag? Be consistent with your whippage😀

Running out of battery sucks during a session, but thinking that buying another controller to swap out is an ok solution is mental.

Warablo

It takes more times and money than usb cable. it's just your habit.
If that's the case, just leave your controller plugged in. Done

A controller costs way more then buying/changing some rechargeable batteries. Doesn't take longer either. In fact, I find it faster because on PS4 I like to turn off the controller first before changing controllers.

Batteries are also future proof and used in multiple devices.

Last edited:

Kamina

Golden Boy
Yet you didn’t feel the need to chastise the poster who claimed it was because the dualsense polled more often than MS for less input lag? Be consistent with your whippage😀

Running out of battery sucks during a session, but thinking that buying another controller to swap out is an ok solution is mental.
The post you refer to is stating that its a tradeoff between imput lag and battery. (and was a reply to the first post)
The first states DualSense is garbage compared to Xbox Gamepad.
Two different levels of statements here.

Also i rather invest 70$ once to be able to switch and charge it while using the other one than repeatedly having to buy and replace powercells.

Last edited:

Murdoch

What's the battery life on the DS compared to the DS4 on average? Speaking frankly I feel a bit of an idiot thinking around the PS4 launch that two pads and the official docking station was a good way around the problem. I ended up spending £129.99 just to get around the battery life issues.

Soodanim

Gold Member
It's not the same when you playing Astro Playroom or Demon's Souls for example. Astro drains battery much harder than Demon's.
Anyway, you can adjust vibration intensity and trigger effect intensity and volume of course in accessories settings on PS5.
Anyway, around 12-13 hours for normal playing.

Also, i've bought this and got additional 1500 mAh. So, up to 25 hours

61p3LW9iCHL._SL1500_.jpg
How light is that? I can't help but think you'd be better off having the wire lead to a portable charger sat in your lap if it messes with the balance of it.

BigLee74

The post you refer to is stating that its a tradeoff between imput lag and battery. (and was a reply to your post)
Your’s states DualSense is garbage compared to Xbox Gamepad.
Two different levels of statements here.

Also i rather invest 70$ once to be able to switch and charge it while using the other one than repeatedly having to buy and replace powercells.

Wrong on both accounts.

Firstly, The post I quoted above stated ‘Did OP ask for ANY sort of comparison with Xbox’. That’s the criteria for the call out and shame. Levels of statement don’t come in to it. So let’s be consistent - call out posters from either side, or say nothing.

Secondly, who in their right mind would think that having to buy a second controller purely for extended battery life is a good investment? Onus is on Sony to ensure battery life is good enough so this wouldn’t even need to be considered.

Kamina

Golden Boy
Wrong on both accounts.

Firstly, The post I quoted above stated ‘Did OP ask for ANY sort of comparison with Xbox’. That’s the criteria for the call out and shame. Levels of statement don’t come in to it. So let’s be consistent - call out posters from either side, or say nothing.

Secondly, who in their right mind would think that having to buy a second controller purely for extended battery life is a good investment? Onus is on Sony to ensure battery life is good enough so this wouldn’t even need to be considered.
The first post was the one to be rightfully called out. The other post was a reaction to it and served to put the derailing statement into perspective.

DualSense is a great controller with lots of battery life. But if it eventually runs out the owner of a second is able to swiftly switch to the other while charing to first.
No battery exchange necessary
No repeated battery purchasing necessary

I use an XBoxOne controller for PC gaming myself. If i sum up all the power cells i had to buy in the past years i could have easily purchased a second controller and saved some money on the side. (and i always buy the batteries in great value packs)

Last edited:

BigLee74

No

You started it with your startement, so you were the one to be called out. The other post was a reaction to yours and served to put your derailing statement into perspective.

DualSense is a great controller with lots of battery life. But if it eventually runs out the owner of a second is able to swiftly switch to the other while charing to first.
No battery exchange necessary
No repeated battery purchasing necessary

I use an XBoxOne controller for PC gaming myself. If i sum up all the power cells i had to buy in the past years i could have easily purchased a second controller and saved some money on the side. (and i always buy the batteries in great value packs)

What are you on about you muppet? I didn’t post initially, it wasn’t me that was called out. 😂

Reading comprehension fail.

Last edited:

Kamina

Golden Boy
What are you on about you muppet? I didn’t post initially, it wasn’t me that was called out. 😂

Reading comprehension fail.
Apologies, things started to blur together
Adapted the posts, but the message still stands.

Last edited:

BigLee74

Apologies, things started to blur together
Adapted the posts, but the message still stands.

No worries. It’s easy done when the quote functionality doesn’t include the full post!

Likewise, you are still mental for buying a second controller as a battery extension 🤪

Last edited:

xrnzaaas

You can also do it manually, takes less than 5 seconds. I always do that when I have to walk away from the console for more than a few minutes.

Personally I don't like the auto turn-off feature ever since my (XONE) controller automatically shut itself down while watching a cut-scene in Quantum Break. And there are other games with long cut-scenes as well. ;)

Last edited:
How light is that? I can't help but think you'd be better off having the wire lead to a portable charger sat in your lap if it messes with the balance of it.

Charger battery indicator, of course. Dualsense is little heavier, but doesn't affect the balance of the gamepad.

EverydayBeast

thinks Halo Infinite is a new graphical benchmark
Sony set the agenda for no AAA batteries and nobody disagrees with that but I think the system just kills the battery life...

BLAUcopter

Gold Member
Yeah bro a car and a controller are the same thing. Great analogy.

Have fun with your Gameboy battery tech though
lol. Shit battery defence force at it for another generation. Let's play your retarded game....

At least with the xbox it remains fully wireless. Enjoy staring at your controller charging in its dock or being tethered to your console with a fucking cable. How old is cable technology? Older than AA battery technology for sure. Actually wait, just buy another $100+ controller bro, simple. Jesus christ.

Thirty7ven

Banned
lol. Shit battery defence force at it for another generation. Let's play your retarded game....

At least with the xbox it remains fully wireless. Enjoy staring at your controller charging in its dock or being tethered to your console with a fucking cable. How old is cable technology? Older than AA battery technology for sure. Actually wait, just buy another $100+ controller bro, simple. Jesus christ.

“Fully wireless” lol

You can charge the controller with your phone charger and it will be pretty quick, don’t need to plug it on the console. But yeah if you’re really dumb it might become a small problem.

AA batteries stay sucking though, but don’t let me get in the way of you sucking up MS’s nuts.

Miles708

Is there something in the water or something?

First people suggesting to buy an entire additional controller only to manage to play a bit longer (like it's not only a normal solution, but a smart one even), now this post shouting instead that batteries are the way, since apparently using a simple USB cable to recharge and play (which is, of course, so much the simplest, cheapest, fastest and most obvious course of action, that is used daily for all kind of consumer electronics of all brands) is so preposterous that that only a Sony defence force badged member would even think of that.

I also guess you recharge your phones, notebooks and electric shavers by looking intensely at them until they catch fire.
"Cable technology" is also my word of the day.

Last edited:
I wonder if they could give us an option to underclock it, I'm willing to bet some people would be willing to sacrafice a slight increase in latency to extended battery life, especially for more slow paced cinematic games.
Not necessary because there's a bunch of fud in his comment. The dualsense had better latency vs the series controller in a couple of games, and the series controller had lower latency in others. Almost all were within 2-4 ms of one another except for one or two curious examples where the difference was almost 10ms.

There's no argument that either controller routinely has lower latency than the other, so the excuse that PS controllers have shit battery life compared to Xbox controllers isn't really the case.

Sony simply uses cheap batteries. It's already been proven that Sony cheaps on their controller materials. Why would anyone think they'd do differently for their batteries.

ItsTheNew

I believe any game made before 1997 is "essentially cave man art."
Yeah I have two controllers and I've rarely had to stop and stop. Get a portable battery if you're putting in heavy hours like that?

Kamina

Golden Boy
Likewise, you are still mental for buying a second controller as a battery extension 🤪
I didn’t buy it only as battery extension. A second controller has those advantages among many other, you know. So I don’t get why you guys think it is weird, and it’s not like your way of looking at things is the ultimate way.
If you want to keep buying and exchanging AA batteries then nobody will stop you. But don’t insult other people over not wanting that.

However, I agree that if Sony offered a battery as awesome as the Switch Pro controller, a solution for cable charging is all that is needed.

Last edited:

I gave you shit before for being consistent and in this case I'm on the receiving end. But fair enough assessment and I agree. I need to be consistent LOL

Also agree that buying new controller is crazy idea. I am sitting with a Dualshock 4 that lasts barely 4 hours and for the longest time i refused to buy another Dualshock. Instead bought a Nacon which lasts much longer and feels more durable.

Last edited:
Top Bottom