• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Sony’s $200 DualSense Edge for PS5 will have ‘moderately shorter’ battery life

Draugoth

Gold Member
You should know that there’s one not so impressive change from the original DualSense controller. It’s got less battery life, Sony confirms to The Verge.
Here’s the company’s full statement about that:

The DualSense Edge wireless controller’s operating time is moderately shorter than the original DualSense wireless controller because we’ve included many more features within the same form factor and ergonomic design as the original DualSense controller. We wanted to strike a good balance between wireless operating time and delivering robust, high-performance features. Additionally, the longer USB braided cable is also great for competitive players who prefer playing with a wired connection to avoid wireless interference – this option preserves battery life.

feynoob

Banned
Sony
you are dumb for real GIF

200$ should have more premium features, not bad battery.

Last edited:

Ansphn

Thats a pass from me easily. With the addition of the buttons on the back, you can't even attached extra back batteries

To me, this is the ultimate Duel sense:

a normal Duel sense +

this

Banjo64

cumsessed
That's unfortunate. Everyone praises internal batteries but i'm still happy with batteries/rechargable batteries/battery packs until they figure out how to get longer life out of this stuff.
I haven’t looked at the capacity of the battery but just thought it was Sony choosing a tiny battery to save a penny.

Elite 2 and Switch Pro controllers last 30 hours plus.

Fredrik

And how many hours is that?

As long as it last a play session it’s no big deal.

Steam Deck has too short battery life, feels like 2 hours max, I usually stop gaming because of the low battery warning.

DeepEnigma

Gold Member
Hard pass. But not for battery life, since everyone and their mother hotswaps (it's only forum banter that acts like you only own one controller)... but the price for something I may accidently drop a few times on my porcelain tiled floors.

Though most of them don't break when it happens, but there is always a chance.

K2D

Banned
This seems dumb. I would expect something extra in a premium controller.

Not that I ever complained about PlayStation controller's battery life - I love having two controller and a charging dock where I switch them out in zero time.

Having rechargeable off the shelf batteries with a dock would be fine too, at a discounted price, but I don't see the current solution as an issue.

Nankatsu

As much as the controller looks gorgeous and sounds awesome, I'll just cope with my two dualsenses.

No need to go crazy and get this one. I would rather pick a couple of games.

jaysius

Banned
Wasting 2 buttons on "FUNCTIONS" that are really set and forget is such a retarded design, the functions that are available can easily be done in software ONCE and then you're good, or to switch games, which doesn't need to be done on the fly.

The shiny plastic makes it look very cheap, I'm not sure what they were thinking.

2 back buttons are not enough.

There is an alternative backbutton like the xbox paddles, we haven't seen anyone show it except Verge shows it in their video at 3:10 mark.

Xbox Elite set the standard for first party back buttons with 4 on the back.

Less battery life? So it lasts 2 hours now?

It's also heavier but IGN said "it's in the center so barely noticeable" is they're hype shills.

Last edited:
I've seen people here argue that you shouldn't be cheap and should just buy two Dualsense controllers so one can always be charging. It's what I did to be fair.

Well I want in on that obnoxiousness and this is a premium product after all so...please don't be cheap and just buy two Dualsense Edges so one can always be charging.

rofif

Can’t Git Gud
Again. As always. Built in battery has no benefits over open battery door.
In battery door controllers you can put AA, rechargeable to swap instantly, or playncharge kits.
Built in is shit and gives you no options.
Yes, it is easy to replace but you need to open controller and find a good Chinese replacement lol…

Dualsense already have poor battery life

SLB1904

Banned
In battery door controllers you can put AA, rechargeable to swap instantly, or playncharge kits.
Yes, it is easy to replace but you need to open controller and find a good Chinese replacement lol…

Doesn't matter how hard you guys try. AA battery is trash and shouldn't be in the conversation.

LordOfChaos

Personally I've never had an issue with DS battery life in a gaming session, I just plug it into the PS5 whenever I'm done. Can also charge and play wired at the same time. Given a few more years of age it could be though.

The disposable battery situation on my SS is more annoying. Probably going to get that play and charge kit.

Last edited:

The Stig

100% agreed.

This controller admittedly looks lovely but I just cant justify the price. The controllers I already have honestly feel fine.

rofif

Can’t Git Gud
Doesn't matter how hard you guys try. AA battery is trash and shouldn't be in the conversation.
It's not about AA battery being trash.
It's about AA battery, Rechargables, play'n'carge kits, easy access to the battery... ANYTHING other than fuck you, we don't sell that internal battery.
Just as with digital only - people eat this shit up and give away their freedoms of choice without any fight.

A controller that's half the price of a console with less battery life? I'll wait for a big discount.

Bring back the $15 back button attachment instead. That's literally all I care about on this stupid thing.

SLB1904

Banned
It's not about AA battery being trash.
It's about AA battery, Rechargables, play'n'carge kits, easy access to the battery... ANYTHING other than fuck you, we don't sell that internal battery.
Just as with digital only - people eat this shit up and give away their freedoms of choice without any fight.
Not really.

I went through ps3, ps4 and now ps5 without having to worry about batteries. He'll your controller will die first than your batteries. It's literally more easier and convient having 2 controllers. You get the message of the battery dying. Get up unplug the controller that was charging. Press the ps button. That's it. Literally less than 5 sec. Instead of littering the house with o bunch of batteries.

DeepEnigma

Gold Member
Not really.

I went through ps3, ps4 and now ps5 without having to worry about batteries. He'll your controller will die first than your batteries. It's literally more easier and convient having 2 controllers. You get the message of the battery dying. Get up unplug the controller that was charging. Press the ps button. That's it. Literally less than 5 sec. Instead of littering the house with o bunch of batteries.
For an enthusiast forum, some sure are casual when it comes to controllers. In both controller amounts owned and upcharge kits.

But with that said, $400 to hot swap?
gtfo-pauliewalnuts.gif

Last edited:

FoxMcChief

Gold Member
What the….

I’ve had my PS5 for 3 days now and already hate the battery life of the controller. And this one is even shorter?

Bro. Sony needs to invest in some Eneloops.

Last edited:

Drew1440

The Xbox consoles and the Wii had the right idea, throw a bunch of eneloops in there and your good for a week, or even two. Then just pop em out to recharge.

rofif

Can’t Git Gud
Not really.

Your opinion suck and you are a bad person.
You know we are talking about years and years ?! About playing NES today.... if nes had built-in battery?
We are talking about old ipods which all have bad battery now that also expands?
Having 2 pairs of AA rechargables is like 5$ and you can use them for generations and multiple controllers. It's not something you worry about.
Besides - you would get plan n charge kit

Spyxos

Gold Member
I already do nothing but load my ps5 controllers. And this new monster is supposed to be even worse and then for 200?
Cracking Up Lol GIF

Kvally

Banned
Tired Battery GIF by NETFLIX

Hard pass. But not for battery life, since everyone and their mother hotswaps (it's only forum banter that acts like you only own one controller)... but the price for something I may accidently drop a few times on my porcelain tiled floors.

Though most of them don't break when it happens, but there is always a chance.
I only have one controller. But I am glad I pre-ordered this because my triangle button and my options button are now sticking. I was assuming this was coming with longer battery life. Oh well.

HeisenbergFX4

Gold Member
Your opinion suck and you are a bad person.
You know we are talking about years and years ?! About playing NES today.... if nes had built-in battery?
We are talking about old ipods which all have bad battery now that also expands?
Having 2 pairs of AA rechargables is like 5$ and you can use them for generations and multiple controllers. It's not something you worry about.
Besides - you would get plan n charge kit
The battery life doesnt bother me

That said what does make this battery situation suck even more is whats the first part that usually breaks in controllers? For me its stick drift usually

This controller having replacement modules makes this controller last even longer in turn which will make the battery situation worse imo

Top Bottom