• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

DualSense Edge | Review Thread

HeisenbergFX4

Gold Member
After months of use since launch this is my favorite controller I’ve ever used. I didn’t think I would like having only two back paddles but I usually only use two anyway even on the Elite 2 and it just feels less cluttered with having two there. It would have been nice to have the option for four for the people that use it though.

next time I’m at Best Buy I will probably grab one of the replaceable sticks just to have on hand but so far after 7 months it’s been great. Even better than my Scuf.

HeisenbergFX4 HeisenbergFX4 , I know you were going to get the Victrix, did you ever end up grabbing one? I saw one at my local GameStop and was tempted to buy it just to compare but after reading some reviews on it I decided against it and just stick with the Edge.

Its a pretty decent controller and does the job but if I am being honest (And this is nitpicking) it is super light weight couple that with the plastic they used it feels like it should be a $20 bargain bin knock off controller after using the DS Edge as much as I do.

I kind of like it but honestly just prefer the Edge overall especially since I already bought a few of those

I think it would be a much better deal at $120 ish

Where do you find these "open box buys"? Do you just check in periodically at your local Best Buy?
Like TexMex TexMex says it mostly shows up on their website but many times it isn't right and yeah sometimes I just randomly check my stores on their open box buy table

LiPo capacity is a size limitation. There isn't enough room in the Edge for a longer lasting battery with current battery tech.
Sure Buddy. You obviously have no clue what you are talking about.

The standard Dualsense battery is 1560mah. But you can buy batteries with the same size with 2600/2650 mah.

Should also be no problem for the edge to add higher capacity batteries(from third party sellers, we know Sony gives a f*** about the shitty battery life of their controllers.)

Last edited:
Reactions: Isa

damidu

its the best feeling controller ive ever used, but battery life is really laughable.
you have to remember to cradle it after each and every play session, or you are fucked.

i would be ok even with a third party battery pack that portrudes at the back, but i guess that is a challenge to make with the buttons back there.

The standard Dualsense battery is 1560mah. But you can buy batteries with the same size with 2600/2650 mah.

Should also be no problem for the edge to add higher capacity batteries(from third party sellers, we know Sony gives a f*** about the shitty battery life of their controllers.)
Find me a safe aftermarket LiPo with the same dimensions as the Edge battery (which is physically smaller than the base DS battery) that actually has a measured (rather than just advertised) miliamp hours higher than the OEM one.

Last edited:
Find me an aftermarket LiPo with the same dimensions as the Edge battery (which is physically smaller than the base DS battery) that actually has a measured (rather than just advertised) miliamp hours higher than the OEM one.
Google AliExpress Dualsense Edge Battery.

They are 1650mah batteries available.
Also 2000mah batteries which I don't believe is the real capacity.

Wait. Dualsense controllers have a 1560 mah battery? Dualshock 3s use like 300 mah and last 20-30 hours. Where the fuck is that life going?

Google AliExpress Dualsense Edge Battery.

They are 1650mah batteries available.
Also 2000mah batteries which I don't believe is the real capacity.
Still no third party replacement batteries available to fix this garbage battery life??
So either you are lying or you don't really believe the AE battery is up to snuff.

You do realize that LiPo cells vary wildly in quality and when you've got random chinesium batteries the chances of them staying at their marketed mah, let alone actually hitting it in the first place is practically nill.

If Sony could've fit a higher capacity battery in the Edge that met their quality standards for capacity over time and charge cycles they would have.

Last edited:
$270 CAD is way too expensive for a controller.

Yeah but compared to other pro controllers this one justifies its price IMO. Its got the full DS feature set (even though it hardly shares any parts with it), pro features integration with PS5, and it looks and feels expensive. The only downside IMO is the battery life is not great, but thats not a problem for me since I own 2 controllers.

HTK

Banned
I’m always tempted to pick this up especially how absurd the Aim Assist has become in Warzone 2.

Got an open box deal for around 179.00$ yesterday. Best controller I ever owned. I expect this controller to last the rest of the generation(besides the possiblity of stick drift). My aim and movement is already better in Apex Legends.

Playing Video Games Game GIF by CBC

Last edited:

Topher

Gold Member
The Victrix is such trash. I kept it as a fightpad for Street Fighter and it fucking sucks for that too. The Dualsense Edge was worth every penny.

I was considering the Victrix, but pretty much every youtube review I watched said the same thing about the poor build quality. Glad I went with the Edge.

Giallo Corsa

Gold Member
Sorry gents but 250 for a friggin' joypad is highway robbery due to the usual Sony tax® no matter how you look at it...
It's way, way overpriced - and with that terrible battery life...

Off-topic : I'm one of the "weirdos" that are actually interested in project Q/streaming device, knowing Sony though it will most probably be sold at a ridiculous MSRP.
People say "150 or bust" but this shit, knowing Sony, will be sold at 300 minimum - hope I'm wrong but I'm not holding my breath.

Last edited:

Topher

Gold Member
Sorry gents buy 250 for a friggin' joypad is highway robbery due to the usual Sony tax® no matter how you look at it...
It's way, way overpriced - and with that terrible battery life...

Off-topic : I'm one of the "weirdos" that are actually interested in project Q/streaming device, knowing Sony though it will most probably be sold at a ridiculous MSRP.
People say "150 or bust" but this shit, knowing Sony, will be sold at 300 minimum - hope I'm wrong but I'm not holding my breath.

I agree the battery life should be better considering the price, but for me I think it was still worth what I paid. The regular DualSense is ok, but to me the triggers are horrible. I'm not talking about the adaptive stuff either. Playing Hogwarts, I feel like my fingers are getting a workout with those mushy triggers. With Edge, I can adjust the triggers as I see fit. That and the back buttons are the reasons I bought the thing.

Honestly, the 8bitdo Ultimate kind of ruined the regular DualSense for me and I had a hard time going back. Edge still isn't as good as Ultimate, but it is good enough.

Bought the Edge a month ago and I haven't touched the regular Dualsense since.

After waiting for a price drop I finally cave in and bought the damn thing just to play Warhammer 40 000: Boltgun with the back buttons. The controller costed me 234,99 €.

Dualsense Edge is my first pro/elite controller and man does it feel good. Ever since MS released Elite I've been craving for a Sony Elite with all the same stuff that comes with Xbox Elite Series. I had the Dualsense Back Button Attachment which I loved and playing fps games with Dualsense was a big step back for me. It's the sole reason that I haven't played many fps games on PS5.

The adjustable triggers are easily my favorite thing about the controller, right after the back buttons. It makes games like Warhammer feel almost like playing with a M+KB. You can shoot fast, jump and aim at the same time without any hand braking claw crips.

The only cons I can think about the controller at the moment are the battery life, lack of couple more paddles, the violent way to change the analog sticks and the price (which I was willing to to pay).

Dualsense Edge gets a 4/5 stars from me.

Last edited:

Soodanim

Gold Member
The Edge with a decent battery and Hall Effect sticks would be my ideal controller, but I just can't justify the money with 2 big glaring flaws. Back buttons and a touch pad are both great features that I want in a controller on PC, though. Shame 8bitdo only like Xbox and Nintendo

Last edited:

MidGenRefresh

*Refreshes biennially
Have one of these coming today. Just couldn’t justify the £200 price tag. I’m sure it’s great but I primarily want back buttons and the reviews for this are pretty decent. Going to see how it goes and I will report back.

https://amzn.eu/d/eux2YF6

Shocking that at least 2 back buttons are not a standard for current gen consoles. We're stuck with the same number of buttons / general layout since 1997? Just think how much more complex games has become.

Kenneth Haight

Gold Member
Can definitely recommend this if you’re a cheapskate like me and are just looking back buttons. Little bit of a nuisance to install, around 60-90 minutes but feels great when installed and works perfectly.

£35 vs £200 🤷‍♂️

euKR3fX.jpg

Warnen

Don't pass gaas, it is your Destiny!
6Fx3pfp.jpg

One thing I wish it mag charged in case like Xbox controller, got a usb c magnetic dodad showing up tomrrow. And yeah I don’t use the paddles… wanna fight about it?

HTK

Banned
I picked it up, I actually don't like the Paddles at all but I do like the other things whatever you want to call them. I'm happy with the controller because the shell fits my hands better than the regular.

HeisenbergFX4

Gold Member
I picked it up, I actually don't like the Paddles at all but I do like the other things whatever you want to call them. I'm happy with the controller because the shell fits my hands better than the regular.
The paddles took me quite sometime to get used to using especially is shooters but now I would have a hard time not having them

Waiting for the next version of Gulikit KingKong, which will have back buttons and be PS5 compatible.
They are making replacement stick modules for the Edge apparently too.

Anyway I love the Edge but I use it exclusively for pvp games, typically Battlefield and COD.

Ronin_7

Banned
I would get 1 if it cost around £100 and if the battery was much better.

That's why I got 2 so i alternate between them .

My friend uses a power bank when battery goes off.

Regular controllers are utter Trash, imagine playing without back buttons or having to fully press R2 or L2 on PVP/PVE scenario.

Couldn't be me.

I picked up one of these as I had to return a Dualsense to Amazon and really didn't want to pay nearly £70 to replace it, it's by far the best and most premium pad I've ever used.

Top Bottom