• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Sony’s $200 DualSense Edge for PS5 will have ‘moderately shorter’ battery life

Ozriel

M$FT
In before everyone saying it’s a ripoff. (Which seems to be).

This controller is going to be on sale after the first week! There’s no way people will buy this thing at $200. It should be $100 at most!

I admire your faith, but no. It won’t be on sale at that steep a discount.
You’ll find $180 deals

DeepEnigma

Gold Member
I only have one controller.
insult peasant GIF by History UK

I pre-ordered this
King Henry Queen GIF by The Spanish Princess

Banjo64

cumsessed
So just checked the battery capacity of each pad.

Dualsense 1500 mAh
Elite v2 2000 mAh
Switch Pro 1300 mAh

So yeah, they should have increased the capacity of the battery (to at least 2000 mAh IMO).

Xbox and Switch are squeezing lots more life out of their batteries than Sony. I wonder what’s more important to the player base, neon lights or longer life?

40 hours per charge on the Xbox and Nintendo pads.

Last edited:

StreetsofBeige

Gold Member
Xbox play and charge is the best for me. Costs $30 cdn.

When the battery runs low you can still play while it charges wired. By the time youre done playing it's got more charge in it than it was before.

Last edited:

rofif

Banned
The battery life doesnt bother me

That said what does make this battery situation suck even more is whats the first part that usually breaks in controllers? For me its stick drift usually

This controller having replacement modules makes this controller last even longer in turn which will make the battery situation worse imo
That's true. being able to replace sticks is good. Battery door wouldn't hurt too even if it's still internal battery.
THe problem is, 1 stick module is 20$... so you pay 40$ for a pair.
And in 20-30 years, sony will not be selling stick modules and these will be collectors item lol

rofif

Banned
Excessive waste. No one plays for 40 hrs straight. PlayStation is much smarter allocating resources to where it matters...superior ergonomics and superior functionality.
Well it doesn't last me whole day of gaming sometimes and requires charging in the evening. If I forget, I need to play wired next day.
The only excessive waste here is your overthinking it :p
Bigger battery is better (unless it's heavy)

jaysius

Banned
Xbox play and charge is the best for me. Costs $30 cdn.

When the battery runs low you can still play while it charges wired. By the time youre done playing it's got more charge in it than it was before.
I have an old one from Xbox One days that still has 20+ hours of life in it's charge.

Those things are awesome.

ProTIP if you have one and it's not holding it's charge or charging, then you clean the end with the contacts with some IPA and it'll be good as new.

Men_in_Boxes

Snake Oil Salesman
Well it doesn't last me whole day of gaming sometimes and requires charging in the evening. If I forget, I need to play wired next day.
The only excessive waste here is your overthinking it :p
Bigger battery is better (unless it's heavy)

Every product has limitations. PlayStation simply chose the correct limitations as the vast majority of players don't overplay a full charge.

The Dualsense family of controllers is very pro consumer.

diffusionx

Gold Member
I canceled my preorder, in fact I don’t know why I did in the first place.

They should just sell a back button attachment like they did on PS4.

sainraja

It would be interesting to know the battery capacity in the Elite, Switch controllers compared to what is inside the Dualsense and now the Dualsense Edge.
I am assuming it is lower on the PS side mostly due to the touch, speaker, light bar, and perhaps the haptics. If not, if they really have been using a smaller capacity one, then it just doesn't make any sense why they won't put in a high capacity one....maybe the size of it but who knows.

Last edited:

jaysius

Banned

Dualsense 1500 mAh
Elite v2 2000 mAh
Switch Pro 1300 mAh

So yeah, they should have increased the capacity of the battery (to at least 2000 mAh IMO).

Xbox and Switch are squeezing lots more life out of their batteries than Sony. I wonder what’s more important to the player base, neon lights or longer life?

It's not the size of the battery it's what you do with it. :messenger_smirking:

sainraja

Dualsense 1500 mAh
Elite v2 2000 mAh
Switch Pro 1300 mAh

I was just wondering about that. Then I wonder if it is because of the size, is the of the 2000 mAh bigger than what they are using?

Last edited:

jaysius

Banned
Excessive waste. No one plays for 40 hrs straight. PlayStation is much smarter allocating resources to where it matters...superior ergonomics and superior functionality.
The DualSense isn't ergonomic, with all the shitty gimmicks they've jammed into it, it feels HEAVIER than a Series controller even though it isn't. It's because they shit the bed on the weight balance, putting it into the front. The plastic unfinished edges don't even feel good in the hand.

Also saying a long battery life is some kind of waste makes you a fucking clown of a Sony apologist.

Last edited:

rofif

Banned
Every product has limitations. PlayStation simply chose the correct limitations as the vast majority of players don't overplay a full charge.

The Dualsense family of controllers is very pro consumer.
Dude, I am pro sony, maybe even a fanboy...
And I still see the bad moves.
There is nothing Pro consumer about Pro aside from Pro in the name.
Just as there is nothing pro about 6-8h battery live

sainraja

The DualSense isn't ergonomic, with all the shitty gimmicks they've jammed into it, it feels HEAVIER than a Series controller even though it isn't. It's because they shit the bed on the weight balance, putting it into the front.

Also saying a long battery life is some kind of waste makes you a fucking clown of a Sony apologist.
I don't think he was being serious (I think that is him being sarcastic) and what you are calling gimmicks might not be gimmicks for others.

I like that the controller has a speaker on it and love it when games use it well, same with the touch pad. Everyone's different but there was a time when the second analog stick was an extra thing Sony added, some might have even called it a gimmick, which wasn't being used in games but now look at how it's used.

Ofcourse, there is no way to know what will stick and what won't. I like the extra features the Dualsense has. To each his own.

Last edited:

Men_in_Boxes

Snake Oil Salesman
The DualSense isn't ergonomic, with all the shitty gimmicks they've jammed into it, it feels HEAVIER than a Series controller even though it isn't. It's because they shit the bed on the weight balance, putting it into the front.

Let's use a more respectful tone. We're all friends here.

I literally can't feel the Dualsense in my hands. When I pick it up, it literally becomes part of my body. Almost as if the player is a Deus Ex character. I've never thought that about any other controller in my life.

As to your long batter life comment. Having 40 hours on a fresh charge is like driving a Vespa scooter in the Indy 500. I don't need 100 miles per gallon. I need performance, function and ergonomics. PlayStation delivered.

damidu

love the ds but this is lame, battery life is already its biggest issue.
still will get one of these in a sale probably.

sainraja

And didn't people use to complain about the weight of the Dualshock 4? How it was soo light?

Sony should definitely try to increase the battery life and without removing the features is my hope.

Last edited:

sainraja

I literally can't feel the Dualsense in my hands. When I pick it up, it literally becomes part of my body. Almost as if the player is a Deus Ex character. I've never thought that about any other controller in my life.

As to your long batter life comment. Having 40 hours on a fresh charge is like driving a Vespa scooter in the Indy 500. I don't need 100 miles per gallon. I need performance, function and ergonomics. PlayStation delivered.
You are being serious?

jaysius

Banned

Wow, bad with logic too, the controller does not travel, it doesn't need to. That's a shitty analogy.

Stop defending shitty battery life.

The longer battery life is a nice convince but also it's a positive for the consumer as the average brained consumer doesn't enjoy constantly plugging in a device that's supposed to be wireless. A longer battery life also makes the consumer feel like they have a more premium product, even if they don't, it's a very easy win. Wireless things should remain WIRELESS as long as possible.

This is retarded. For $200 the controller should have a really good battery. The Elite S2 lasts around 40 hours on a charge, mine has well over 4000 hours of play time on it since it bought it at launch and it still lasts 40 hours playing games where the rumble motors never stop going. I put it in it's case once a week to charge or when the orange light comes on which means I only have about five hours left, or about the battery like of my DS4.

Ideally they'd have gone with AA/pack options (I prefer Eneloops to internal batteries) but if they're committed to an internal battery for whatever reason having a sub-10 hour charge is nuts.

Battery life is measured in cycles. You have a certain amount of charge cycles before the battery becomes unusable. The more times you charge your battery the sooner it will stop taking a charge.

A battery that needs to be charged once a week will survive a lot longer than one that needs a daily charge.

jaysius

Banned
And didn't people use to complain about the weight of the Dualshock 4? How it was soo light?

Sony should definitely try to increase the battery life and without removing the features is my hope.
I don't recall many people complaining about DS4 being too light, but I do remember people bitching about it's shitty battery life.

Sony's weakness is not allowing EASILY USER REPLACABLE BATTERIES and in 2022, it's looks stupid.

StreetsofBeige

Gold Member

It's just a gamepad. Not a girlfriend.

I find the Xbox controller better like jaysius. The uneven sticks makes sense since most games use the LS to move and face buttons for functions. So your hands are even. Also, having the Sony gamepad have LS at the bottom of the controller makes no sense because almost every game uses LS as default to move. So the natural hand position is to have LS where Xbox's gamepad is.

SSfox

I wasn't planning to buy it, but the fact it's not even full Black make it i wouldn't even buy it at 10$

Fbh

Costs half as much as the console....has worse battery life than the already pretty underwhelming battery in the base Dualsense.

Lol

Kenneth Haight

Gold Member
Pretty disappointing. I would be happy with a back button attachment. I really want back buttons but I’m not dropping £200 on this. I’ll grab one on sale down the line or buy one of those kits for adding back buttons yourself. They look like you could fuck your controller up pretty easily on install though.

sainraja

I think, maybe outside of Men_in_Boxes Men_in_Boxes , most people would agree that the Dualsense should have a long battery life, even ones that like the extra features. I just wouldn't want Sony to remove them or stop looking to add in new (evolutionary) features to their controllers.

I don't recall many people complaining about DS4 being too light, but I do remember people bitching about it's shitty battery life.

Sony's weakness is not allowing EASILY USER REPLACABLE BATTERIES and in 2022, it's looks stupid.
I remember people complaining but it's been a while. It seems to be the reverse now. But they should offer better battery life. No disagreement there.

Last edited:

StreetsofBeige

Gold Member
I'd never buy a deluxe controller as a standard one is good enough for me.

But if I was paying triple the price (which is insane for Xbox and PS elite controllers), the first priority for me is battery life, then fancy extra buttons. Weight is a non issue for me. Over the years some consoles have light gamepads, some heavy. Who really cares. At least I dont.

When you buy a better cell phone, how often does battery life go down?

Drizzlehell

Banned
Ok, so instead of 3 hours I will be able to use it for 90 minutes before having to charge it up.

200 buckaroos well-spent.

DenchDeckard

Moderated wildly
Omg that is absolutely embarrassing. GG Sony. Love the bullshit excuse too. I have to recharge my elite controller like once every two weeks. It last aaaages.

TGO

Hype Train conductor. Works harder than it steams.
Sony had a choice between putting budget in to research for better battery life in the Edge Controller or PC development.
Can you guess what they chose?

adamsapple

Or is it just one of Phil's balls in my throat?
Sony had a choice between putting budget in to research for better battery life in the Edge Controller or PC development.
Can you guess what they chose?

I .... I don't think those are nearly the same level of research and development costs lol

tmlDan

Wish there was a longer battery life but i dont game long enough at my age for this to be a worry, my controller is usually always charged.

Mr Moose

I'd use it wired so no issue there, but not for 240 euros. Come back again at 150-180 and we'll talk.
Yup same, I use my controllers wired, I wouldn't touch this thing at its current price but it wouldn't be because of the shite battery.
Will wait for a big sale.

Top Bottom