• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

What's the oldest game in your backlog you think you'll actually play?

Hunnybun

I think we've probably all got probably this problem to some extent. I've easily got 20 good games on my list I've been putting off for one reason or another.

Mostly I know I'm never gonna play them - and a lot are real classics. I'll never play Arkham Knight now - I can't go back to 30fps and it's never getting patched.

I think the oldest one I still genuinely think I'll get round to is RE7. It's not that long and I do really like the look of it - the only problem is it's fucking terrifying...

I'm not talking about re-releases of ancient games on newer platforms. I mean games in something like their original form that you've had roughly since that original release - within a few years or so. So what's yours?

EverydayBeast

thinks Halo Infinite is a new graphical benchmark
I think you can take control of your “backlog” just focus on one game at a time, spend less and take your time doing so I haven’t had a back log in years and it will never happen keep spending money. Btw a backlog isn’t a horrible thing.

The Nintendo 64 Zelda games.
I tested the waters a little but, have been wanting to play them for years, but there's nothing in this world I hate more then the N64 controller. I fucking HATE it.
But I will play the Remakes on 3DS.

Shin Megami Tensei If..., as well.
Not really interested in 1 and 2, don't know why... But I awhile ago, I saw the cover art of If..., and said "I HAVE to play this game"

I will play it, for sure.

I still play Doom (Brutal Doom) every few months and have been working my way through Half-Life RTX as of late. Also, BLOOD. Play BLOOD ya'll, it's awesome.

kiphalfton

I'm a big Dragon Ball fan, but even still I have not managed to beat Dragon Ball Origins. Have attempted to play through the first game, many times. But always drop it at some point.

nkarafo

Ocarina of Time
But it has aged so badly i will prob never touch it
the 3DS version was still one of the best games I’ve ever played, its not aged badly at all (imo). It’s timeless.
The Nintendo 64 Zelda games.
I tested the waters a little but, have been wanting to play them for years, but there's nothing in this world I hate more then the N64 controller. I fucking HATE it.
But I will play the Remakes on 3DS.

There's a better solution:

Go here: https://www.shipofharkinian.com/

Use the HD texture mod from here: https://evilgames.eu/texture-packs/oot-reloaded.htm (choose the SOH pack)

Use the "Vanilla Plus" preset. This way you will get a bunch of needed Quality Of Life improvements and accurate gameplay. You may also use the D-pad for extra quick item slots.

Increase the frame rate to 30 or 60. You can go even higher but i'm not sure if it will cause any glitches.

The above is the absolute best way to experience Ocarina of Time today. Looks good, plays well and it's accurate to the original. Much better than the 3DS remake IMO, because that one did some bad artistic changes.

Last edited:
There's a better solution:

Go here: https://www.shipofharkinian.com/

Use the HD texture mod from here: https://evilgames.eu/texture-packs/oot-reloaded.htm (choose the SOH pack)

Use the "Vanilla Plus" preset. This way you will get a bunch of needed Quality Of Life improvements and accurate gameplay. You may also use the D-pad for extra quick item slots.

Increase the frame rate to 30 or 60. You can go even higher but i'm not sure if it will cause any glitches.

The above is the absolute best way to experience Ocarina of Time today. Looks good, plays well and it's accurate to the original. Much better than the 3DS remake IMO, because that one did some bad artistic changes.
Thank you for the suggestion! I will consider it.

Mokus

Oh God. I'm hoarding collecting games since 2005. Maybe it's time to finally finish Baldur's Gate 2... I finished the first game back then.

RickMasters

I just bought the Capcom Arcade Collections so I’ll be dusting off the arcade sticks tonight for some classic arcade gaming.
denzel washington GIF

I been beating out the collection since I bought it last year. I’ll never stop playing it. Just as a heads up:

Forgotten worlds is much easier with a regular pad because you can just treat it like a twin stick shooter.

And don’t forget….Grab the knife on the second stage of Ghouls and ghosts….. you swap it for anything else and you will be fucked!

If you happen t play SF2 online and run into me….. no…. Don’t ask me to go easy on you with my sagat. I might say yes but I’m totally gonna Be lying!

Trojan is as bad ass as you remember. Strider is as bad ass you remember it being. Varth is a gem of a shmup. The 19xx games need no introduction.

And grab vol 2! You gotta have gunsmoke…. And the mega man fighting game in there is sick!

SmokedMeat

Gamer™
denzel washington GIF

I been beating out the collection since I bought it last year. I’ll never stop playing it. Just as a heads up:

Forgotten worlds is much easier with a regular pad because you can just treat it like a twin stick shooter.

And don’t forget….Grab the knife on the second stage of Ghouls and ghosts….. you swap it for anything else and you will be fucked!

If you happen t play SF2 online and run into me….. no…. Don’t ask me to go easy on you with my sagat. I might say yes but I’m totally gonna Be lying!

Trojan is as bad ass as you remember. Strider is as bad ass you remember it being. Varth is a gem of a shmup. The 19xx games need no introduction.

And grab vol 2! You gotta have gunsmoke…. And the mega man fighting game in there is sick!

You have great taste.

Forgotten Worlds was one of my first Genesis games, so I’m excited to revisit it. Although I’ve heard the arcade version is much more difficult.

So many awesome games in that collection, I think it’s a permanent install.

I wish Taito would bring back their old collections from PS2/Xbox. So many great games on those.

Last edited:

stn

Body Harvest, and Banjo-Tooie. Both on N64. I've been playing the XBLA version of Banjo to save my N64 from wear-and-tear.

RickMasters

man….. I can’t even tell. I been buying digital games since forever it feels like. Between my Xbox and my steam accounts it well over 1200 games. Most of the time I just get choice paralysis and just jump on halo, tekken ( or one of my other fighting games) or recently SD gundam aliance

So…Oldest game In terms of something I bought long ago but absolutely intend to play in the next 2 months or so….. looking at my library right now….. can I say Elden ring? It’s not the oldest game I bought and haven’t played but it probably be the next. I think I’m having some kind of commitment issue with it….. I feel like I survived the dark souls games….. kind of weary of getting my ass kicked a lot by sekiro too….. but maybe I’m just a sucker for these games?

Shot maybe I’ll just start playing dead dead redemption 2, or finally start that cyberpunk play through….. but how can I start that without playing Witcher 3 first? I feel like I have to play CDPs ‘old’ and still excellent game before jumping into cyberpunk because everything I see about that game tells me I’ll put all my other games on hold if I start playing it. I will want t Iive in that game when I start playing it. Doing every damn thing. It’s gonna Skyrim all over again…. I’ll love it to bits…. But the time it’s gonna take to really enjoy it all!…. Damn! So maybe I’ll just get on control ( I own every remedy game it seems )

Shit…. I don’t know what I actually want to play after I finish SD gundam! 🤦🏾‍♂️🤷🏾‍♂️ I like having this problem. Back in the day we never had the ‘problem’ of owning too many games, because we was all kids and our parent had limited funds. Now we are adults and we go buying every damn game we ever wanted just because we can and never have the time to play them!

Gp1

I was playing the "original" (after the 25th anniversary update) Half life, and dabbling with the PC ports of Mario 64 and Ocarina of time.

NeonDelta

Spec ops the line maybe, had it for ages from a humble bundle and didn’t know much about it till it was delisted, sounds pretty cool so will probably play that at some point soon

intbal

If I have a folder with 2000+ ROMS, does that count as "in my backlog"?
I occasionally pick one of those and play it.

RickMasters

Body Harvest, and Banjo-Tooie. Both on N64. I've been playing the XBLA version of Banjo to save my N64 from wear-and-tear.
Reminds me…. I still ain’t even played kameo and I own the rare replay collection. Was nice to finally beat jet force Gemini. The last boss ( he looks like a giant ant) kicked my ass back in 1998. Was nice to finally settle that old score. Nothing triggers me like a difficult last boss! I won’t let it go till I beat them! Even when I give up on the game for years. I’ll come back and settle the score and see that ending!

Reactions: stn

RickMasters

You have great taste.

Forgotten Worlds was one of my first Genesis games, so I’m excited to revisit it. Although I’ve heard the arcade version is much more difficult.

So many awesome games in that collection, I think it’s a permanent install.

I wish Taito would bring back their old collections from PS2/Xbox. So many great games on those.
I’d also reccomend the SNK 40th anniversary collection. Some solid gems on there too. Ikari warriors 1-3, and SARS, are a great trip down memory Lane. Some cool NES games on that collection too. Well worth it.

Fully agree. These games are permanent installs. Would love a new Taito collection. And an IREM collection too.

NeoIkaruGAF

Gold Member
Can't pinpoint one in particular.
But I'd rather pick up and play an old arcade than one of the many 6th-7th gen games I bought on sale and never even started.

Top Bottom