• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Whats the oldest game you finished this year?

Drizzlehell

Banned
I can't really remember which one could be the oldest. I played a lot of emulators and GoG games. As far as actually finishing one of them, it will probably be the original Medal of Honor (1999) and Metal Gear Solid (1998).

I'm still playing through Lands of Lore (1992) but I probably won't finish it this year, but it's easily the oldest game that I played this year.

Last edited:

ReBurn

Gold Member
I just finished Adventure for Atari 2600 on level 3. Stupid dragons. I don't think I'll see the end of an older game this year.

The Atari Flashback collections are on the PS store for $7.99 each with PS+ so I picked them up. Been playing through some nostalgia while it rains.

00_Zer0

I have played and beat Half Life 1 when it was originally released back in 1998, but I hadn't played it since then, until Valve updated the game for it's 25th Anniversary. After booting the game up and replaying it with the new update I can say without a doubt that this game still holds up as an all time classic. A lot of times I will start a game and just drop it, but after going back to the original Half Life I had to keep playing till the end. What an amazing gaming experience that no one should miss.

I finally beat Jackal for NES.
IMG-1817.jpg

I beat it in 2011.

One of my favourite games as a kid. I even played the arcade version a few times.

fart town usa

Gold Member
The Mansion of Hidden Souls, 1994 FMV game for Sega Saturn.

I absolutely loved it, I remember seeing it at Funcoland as a kid, and I even had a Saturn then, but FMV games were for fools. The game itself isn't much of a game but man, it's so damn goofy at times, voice acting isn't terrible and the side character who provides narration is great. It has this insistence on inserting a butterfly theme to the plot and it's just so incredibly goofy and laugh out loud entertaining at times. The ending goes off the rails in the best way possible. Simple game too, took like 90 minutes to beat.

Last edited:

Bojanglez

The Amiga Brotherhood
I replayed The Last of Us PS4 to finally get the platinum trophy 9 years after my last play through (of the ps4 remaster). I had to do the whole Hunter journey in factions and do a Hardened campaign.

It was an absolute joy to play factions again an the campaign, despite the frame rate. I think I've played through the first TLoU four times now and never get bored of it. I'll get the PS5 'Part 1' now as I vowed to get the PS4 platinum before I played that.

EverydayBeast

thinks Halo Infinite is a new graphical benchmark
Played a bunch of ps3 games this year because Sony isn’t paying attention to forums, for years I have been saying backwards compatibility needs to be on current consoles.

Alan Wake

Alone in the Dark: The New Nightmare on my Dreamcast (2001). Thought it would be nice to finally finish it before the new AitD comes out but then it was delayed. And now once more.

simpatico

Actually my favorite Castlevania game after Symphony. I love the backgrounds and music in this. If you're so inclined, check out the original Japanese version on an emulator. It had an extra chip and enhanced graphics and music. It's also less punishing than the Western versions.
I played the JP version on Castlevania Anniversary Collection. Got a ton of mileage out of it and the Castlevania Advanced Collection this year. Really hoping we get a new one in 2024 with the DS games and a proper Symphony PC port.

Last edited:

Jigsaah

Gold Member
Death Stranding. I typically have a hard time going back to far with old games.
I played it on PS4...couldn't finish. Got it when it came out on Gamepass...got further and couldn't finish. Now I got the director's cut from humble bundle and they dropped it (and my save) from Gamepass so now I gotta start all over on Steam. It's depressing to be honest.

I played and beat Majora's Mask for the first time this year. What a beautifully designed video game.

Majora's is one of those games that I always kept on the back of my mind and thought I had to play some day. The thing is that the time mechanic always put me off a little bit initially, as I prefer playing slowly and explore everything. After beating it, I can say that I wish I had tried it sooner.

The time mechanic is actually great and essencial to what makes this game so special. Following the NPCs schedule and finding out how they connect with each other is really different from what I'm used to playing. Anju and Kafei's questline deserve a mention of course... I'm inclined to say it's the best piece of storytelling from Nintendo I've ever played. Really simple but so impactful.

Top Bottom