• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Whats the oldest game you finished this year?

DryvBy

All you young kids with your fancy new Nintendo Switches and Nintendo Xboxes, why you don't even care about the classics! The Good Old Games!

Yesterday I went back and finally played Sonic the Hedgehog 4 Episode 1 on the PS3. People were spot on with how awful it is to play as Sonic feels like a slow mess. But I generally go back and play some old games to remind myself of being a kid.

The oldest game I finished this year was Super Mario Bros. on the All-Stars collection. What's your?

BennyBlanco

aka IMurRIVAL69
Legacy_of_goku_2.jpg

I believe Max Payne 1 was the oldest one I finished this year. Had a blast replaying it after so many years

Technically Quake II could also take this spot, but that one was a Remastered version which was released this year so I'm leaving it as honorable mention
I just replayed Max Payne as well. I actually like, and appreciate, it more now than I did back in the day. It's crazy how much Remedy innovated with that game only to limp behind ever since. Max Payne basically provided the modern TPS template the way I remember it at least and now Remedy can barely string a coherent encounter together.

Punished Miku

Gold Member
I played through about half of FFXIII this year, but haven't finished it yet. I played 2 levels of Mega Man 2 the other day.

Metal Gear Solid for PSX but I played it through DuckStation via EmuDeck. I've finished it loads of times previously but felt like playing it again as I hadn't in over 20 years. Great game that still holds up.

Dazraell

I just replayed Max Payne as well. I actually like, and appreciate, it more now than I did back in the day. It's crazy how much Remedy innovated with that game only to limp behind ever since. Max Payne basically provided the modern TPS template the way I remember it at least and now Remedy can barely string a coherent encounter together.

Oh yeah, Max Payne 1 has a very special place in my gaming memories. I've replayed this game so many times when I was younger, I remember how blown away I was with it and how innovative and unique it felt in comparison to other games. It was really surprising to me how many easter eggs and secrets I've remembered, and how the game managed to hold up. It's still a fantastic experience

I've played not only Max Payne 1, but done the "Remedy marathon" (starting from Max Payne and finishing on Alan Wake II, I'm also planning to play Max Payne 3 as sorts of additional stretch goal), but honestly it was an fascinating journey to see how their games evolved over the years. What really surprised me is how different each of the franchises they worked on has felt. Each of them have its own unique identity, while still feeling like a Remedy game

A Hat in Time on Steamdeck.
This game came out same year as Mario Odyssey.
A Hat in Time>Mario Odyssey

Really cute platformer with collectables and at lease 2 expansions that I was aware of.
Looks great, Plays great.

StereoVsn

FFIX with AI background mods would be the one I can say I properly beat.

I play bunch of old games but don’t always finish them. Went through bunch of fighting games in Saturn this year, Streets of Rage 2, bunch of Sonic games in couple recent remastered collections, and more.

Oh, played some old Romance of Three Kingdoms games as well (SNES) and Shadowrun (SNES).

Hollowpoint5557

A Fucking Idiot
My 9 year old daughter and I co-op'd Contra 1. She did fantastic for her first time and I attribute that to how many retro games she's played growing up. My 16 year old SUCKED at it because he grew up with Minecraft, Call of Duty, Fortnite, and a bunch of normie 3d games.

Last edited:

ReBurn

Gold Member
Venba. I think I only finished 2 games this year and the other one is Spider-Man 2.

The oldest game I played this year is Space Invaders but that never really ends.

Last edited:

Sojiro

I regularly am playing older games usually for the first time as I try to play ones I just didn't experience growing up. The oldest one I probably did this year was Bionic Commando (NES version). I thought it was fun, there were some frustrating parts and it took me a while to get the hang of not having a jump button, but it was decent. That ending was fucking crazy to see on an NES game lol.

StereoVsn

My 9 year old daughter and I co-op'd Contra 1. She did fantastic for her first time and I attribute that to how many retro games she's played growing up. My 16 year old SUCKED at it because he grew up with Minecraft, Call of Duty, Fortnite, and a bunch or normie 3d games.
My kids are terrible at retro games despite me trying to get them to play it for years. At least they are playing a bunch of Nintendo’s fare and other games in the Switch.

Mind you Minecraft and Mario Cart are still tops, lol. But at least they like 2D Mario games, Donkey Kong, etc…

StereoVsn

Ive been slowly but surely going at FFVII PS1 version on my PS vita. Im in the middle of disc 2, it's my first playthrough as well.
I really recommend playing this on Pc with some mods. It can get to a remake level with better translation, character graphics, backgrounds, bug fixes and more.

You can probably import your save as well.

SF Kosmo

Al Jazeera Special Reporter
Played through Silhouette Mirage again on Saturn, thanks to the new English translation.

Not the first time I have beaten the game, but I mostly played the flawed US PlayStation release in the past.

I'm always playing old games, so plenty of older titles. I think the original Assassin's Creed. FF VII. Baldur's Gate/II. Or X-Men on Genesis is probably the literal oldest. I'm sure I finished other, older stuff, but can't remember.

I really recommend playing this on Pc with some mods. It can get to a remake level with better translation, character graphics, backgrounds, bug fixes and more.

You can probably import your save as well.

While I prefer the PSX, the PC with some mods is definitely a great way to play these days. There's even a full voice acting mod that's honestly very solid. I also think you can import/convert the saves, but not sure.

Last edited:
Top Bottom