• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Whats the oldest game you finished this year?

Majormaxxx

star wars GIF

I vaguely remember playing the original way back.

Edit: holy shit, it's a Tim Sweeney game. Apparently the last one he designed.

Edit2: and it's a free download from GoG! Probably EGS too.
And it is easier than what you remember from 25-30 years ago. Plays, looks and sounds great. A few days of fun if you play all three episodes.

StreetsofBeige

Gold Member
Ace Combat 3 thanks to fan translators. Namco never released it back in 1999.
I never played AC3 Electrosphere. But AC2 and AC4 were awesome. Later AC games were meh.

But according to wiki, I never knew AC3 had cut content in NA/Europe versions.

The game is infamous for its drastic differences in content in the Japanese and international releases; Namco intended to retain the Japanese version's two-disc campaign and larger story, but due to financial constraints the game was cut down for North America and Europe.

Though it had a small marketing campaign and little promotion, Electrosphere shipped over one million copies. The Japanese release received positive reviews and was seen as ambitious in its design. International releases were more mixed, with critics expressing confusion towards the lack of content and bland gameplay. In retrospect, Electrosphere has been well-received, with critics identifying and appreciating its ambition, story, and changes to the gameplay of the series.

Humdinger

Did you play as the lizard man with the shotgun

Brutus? No, I played mostly as Tex, the muscle-bound, refreshingly sexist guy with the big guns. I played as Brutus sometimes. I liked his 'Vengar' power. I played as the others as well (Hawk and Flint). I spent most of my time as Tex, though.

Last edited:

Muffdraul

MGS1. Pretty sure the last time I played it must have have been right before Phantom Pain released, going on nine years ago. But over the years since 1998, I must have played through it from beginning to end at least, I dunno... 30 times? 50? I still knew it like the back of my hand.

justiceiro

Marlboro: Other M
I dunno if I will manage to finish dark souls remastered, but if not, then probably moonlighter.

Weird, I had to scavenge the moonlighter save file like 2 times already, but the game only release on 2018? Time really flies...

skit_data

Probably Skyrim.
Played it for the first time and finished the main quest, was planning on platinuming it. It was fun and going well until a glitch in the civil war questline kept me from progressing towards my platinum. Dropped it completely because I got so pissed and decided not to ever try to platinum a Bethesda game again. If stuff is broken a la classic Bethesda even in the re-re-release special edition there is really no point in even bothering.

Last edited:

Ev1L AuRoN

Astro's Playroom (2020).

Mind you I played a lot of old games just not finished them, I did beat Super Ghouls'n'Ghosts for the SNES (1991) but IDK if it counts since my filthy casual self used the rewind feature a couple of times...

Rodolink

Bk is my favorite game, I really had high hopes for this game but sadly quit after 4 hours, it was just mediocre. It felt good to control and I think the worlds expanding from collectables is a great idea but the Npcs, powers, writing and challenges were so mid. It felt like someone who had only watched youtube videos of Banjo Kazooie tried to make a banjo kazooie game, no soul really.
yeah it had some very good parts and some of others pretty terrible

It occurred to me that I had never actually beaten the original Castlevania so it put me on a mission to accomplish that task. Hard game but I did beat it after a million deaths.
I love CIII but never actually beat it. I made myself go through it without save states or any of that some years back and wow, that game was a ball breaker, jesus.

I found out later that the original Japanese version is actually easier. Should've played that instead!

dave_d

Pretty much Ninja Gaiden Black. Pretty good game. No where near as hard as the reviewers said it was back in the day. (And I'm in my 50s. If I can beat it even a little baby should be able to beat it.)

dcx4610

I finally got around to playing Heretic from start to finish. I just had the demo back in the day. Friggin loved. Awesome game and it's amazing how different and what they were able to do with the DOOM engine. It still totally holds up too due to the speed of the gameplay and the chaos of some of the fights. Just make sure to use a modern port like GZDOOM.

I never played AC3 Electrosphere. But AC2 and AC4 were awesome. Later AC games were meh.

But according to wiki, I never knew AC3 had cut content in NA/Europe versions.

The game is infamous for its drastic differences in content in the Japanese and international releases; Namco intended to retain the Japanese version's two-disc campaign and larger story, but due to financial constraints the game was cut down for North America and Europe.

Though it had a small marketing campaign and little promotion, Electrosphere shipped over one million copies. The Japanese release received positive reviews and was seen as ambitious in its design. International releases were more mixed, with critics expressing confusion towards the lack of content and bland gameplay. In retrospect, Electrosphere has been well-received, with critics identifying and appreciating its ambition, story, and changes to the gameplay of the series.
Yeah this was when localisation of Japanese videogames was still in it's infancy and AC3 had a lot text and cutscenes so they just couldn't be bothered.

I finally beat A Link To The Past for the first time...
I'm on Ocarina Of Time now which I hadn't played since it came out. It more than lives up to my very fond memories. This game is a marvel in terms of gameplay and level design. Especially awesome to see right after A Link. It translates that game's dungeon design into 3D so effortlessly on first try.

It's been almost heartwarming to play these games and feel the amount of playful joy that went into them. Just so many fun little details at every corner and it feels genuine all around. Puts into perspective how cynical, hollow and generic a lot of games can feel compared to Nintendo when they're at full power. And no I'm not a fanboy, I don't even own a Switch.

Also remarkable how much they naiked movement in this game. The game feel of Link and the combat and all feels effortless and with just the right amount of weight. You'd think platforming without a jump button would feel lame as fuck but they even made that feel exciting.

analog_future

Resident Crybaby
Nothing super old for me this year, but I did finally play/complete The Unfinished Swan. I've always wanted to play it after playing Giant Sparrow's follow up title, What Remains of Edith Finch. WRoEF is in my top 10 games of all time so I knew I had to play The Unfinished Swan sooner or later.

Really loved it. Not as polished or as moving as Edith Finch, but every bit as novel, and the visuals are absolutely beautiful and timeless.

Diseased Yak

Gold Member
I've been working my way through the Trails series, I'm currently up to Trails To Azure, but I did beat Trails in the Sky SC early this year. Think that's my oldest one that I finished.

Top Bottom